LoVett

• 191 replies

MCNPA

Re: LoVett
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »
It's kinda like say Seton Hall would be better without Whitehead.  On paper it looks ridiculous, but maybe as a team overall they are a bit more cohesive without him this season.  We have to morph in a similar way that the Hall did without Whitehead.  A huge athletic PG like Simon could help a lot especially on defense where Lovett was poor.  His size could be imposing for other guards in a different way.  I think more important for us is finding a frontcourt transfer that can create some problems.  Dave has mentioned more than once that the staff already seemingly has an option there.  Let's see what they come up with.

They won the BE with him. They would have been a sweet 16 team or better with him this year.

Don't disagree.  We aren't better without Lovett.  Just saying that they are a team that's right back in NCAA's without him, maybe some different strengths.  Agree they'd have been better with him this year,  but they didn't lose too many steps.

QuanMan

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
No news good news?
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »
Personally, I don't think we will hear any official news until the tournament is over with.

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
Would be a good sign if he is still attending classes.  At least would keep options open.

cjfish

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »
Since when do hoop players have to go to class.....oh wait, this is not the ACC

Tha Kid

« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
Since when do hoop players have to go to class.....oh wait, this is not the ACC

I assure you basketball players at Duke and ND go to class.  THat's a UNC thing...not an ACC thing.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
Isn't it too soon for LoVett to know where he stands when compared to other guards who are turning pro? Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere. Unfortunately for him, I think he's going to experience some humble pie. Thing is, I don't think it's so unfortunate. He's really talented, but he needs a lot of work. Guy can't guard a lamp post. Let him come back and show that he can dominate the BE.

« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »
I think Lovett is very good and wil be even better with some real talent around him. That said, watching the tournament just reaffirms fact that we need to get some size. You cant win with a bunch of short and underweight players. Marquette who is bigger than we are looked like boys against South Carolina.

MCNPA

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »
Isn't it too soon for LoVett to know where he stands when compared to other guards who are turning pro? Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere. Unfortunately for him, I think he's going to experience some humble pie. Thing is, I don't think it's so unfortunate. He's really talented, but he needs a lot of work. Guy can't guard a lamp post. Let him come back and show that he can dominate the BE.

100% correct.  I know he wants to move on,  but sentiment from scouts is going to be against him.   I think he will be back,  but that's just a guess at this point.

MCNPA

« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
I think Lovett is very good and wil be even better with some real talent around him. That said, watching the tournament just reaffirms fact that we need to get some size. You cant win with a bunch of short and underweight players. Marquette who is bigger than we are looked like boys against South Carolina.

Agree here.  We are getting Simon, a very big and long guard, and Clark who is very strong forward.  That said, we need some size and skill at PF/c as well.  I still think Nova would have repeated in NCAA's if Spellman were eligible.   He's a beast and would have been a difference maker for them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:32:18 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »

100% correct.  I know he wants to move on,  but sentiment from scouts is going to be against him.   I think he will be back,  but that's just a guess at this point.

Not a lot of 6 foot point guards in the NBA who didn't make the NIT in college.

Marillac

« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »

It's not too soon. He's doesn't compare. This might be the most talented PG draft in a decade and the first two picks will be PGs (Ball and Fultz) and there could be as many as six PGs taken in the first ten picks depending on how you classify Monk of Kentucky.

« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2017, 09:04:27 PM »

depending on how you classify Monk of Kentucky.

People aren't saying monk is a pg I hope
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »

Kind of the issue with him. At next level hard for him to play off the ball at his size. Plus he oddly has T-Rex arms for someone who is so freakishly athletic.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »

Kind of the issue with him. At next level hard for him to play off the ball at his size. Plus he oddly has T-Rex arms for someone who is so freakishly athletic.

Yea I actually thought he was taller than what he is listed. Really gets off the floor on his jumper but wingspan seems to be really valued so if you're right that wouldn't bode well for him. 'Bench scorer' is what I think he'll be. All around game doesn't impress me enough to take him in the top 10.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:38 AM »
If Lovett were to go pro it would be to overseas. I think he understands he won't get picked by NBA teams but he figures to give it a shot, try to make a summer league team and thenplay overseas. He's older than a lot of us realize and his time to make money is now.

« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
He's older than a lot of us realize

Is he actually 29, instead of 21?

desco80

« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
If Lovett were to go pro it would be to overseas. I think he understands he won't get picked by NBA teams but he figures to give it a shot, try to make a summer league team and thenplay overseas. He's older than a lot of us realize and his time to make money is now.

I would argue that his time to make money is over the next 45 years.  And he maximizes that earning potential by obtaining a college degree and marketable skills. 
In my opinion it is short sighted to drop that opportunity in favor of a short lived career in the Trukish basketball league. 

If Marcus was serious about returning to school when his playing days end, then I could understand a go-pro decision a little more.  And maybe he is.  I don't know.

But someone needs to remind him that hell be working till he's 65 or 70 years old.   His basketball career may only be 5 or 6 seasons, and that's if he's lucky.  You need skills other than a crossover to suceed in the long-term.

Wods317

« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

I would argue that his time to make money is over the next 45 years.  And he maximizes that earning potential by obtaining a college degree and marketable skills. 
In my opinion it is short sighted to drop that opportunity in favor of a short lived career in the Trukish basketball league. 

If Marcus was serious about returning to school when his playing days end, then I could understand a go-pro decision a little more.  And maybe he is.  I don't know.

But someone needs to remind him that hell be working till he's 65 or 70 years old.   His basketball career may only be 5 or 6 seasons, and that's if he's lucky.  You need skills other than a crossover to suceed in the long-term.

Agreed. If I were giving Marcus advice my fear would be god forbid he has a bad injury in his first year playing overseas. Where does he turn then with only one year of college? If you are not going to be making millions then it is always smart to get an education.

« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks to NCAA Lovett has two years of college so far.