CBI/CIT

• 211 replies
Re: CBI/CIT
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
St. Peter's beat Texas St. . Another week of practice and another game for them

Too bad that as has already been proven, being successful in the CBI has zero correlation to next season's success. Oh well

How about not playing in any tournaments?  Any correlations for success?

Not playing in a post season tournament one season has the same correlation to the next season's success as playing in the CBI does. Zero

Can't win if you don't play. But they certainly did host the best game of the tournament last night

Wake me up when St. Peter's and Texas St are in the sweet 16 next year

Expecting more early to bed nights next March I see?

Foad

« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »

Too bad that as has already been proven, being successful in the CBI has zero correlation to next season's success. Oh well

Well played but leave aside this tournament or that. Name an endeavor where sitting around not doing it makes you better at it than doing it does. Everyone in the world gets better at doing what they do by doing what they do except evidently the basketball team that's won 15 games in two years. They're going to get better by not playing basketball. Musicians getting better by playing their instruments. Artists get better by painting. Mathematicians get better by doing equations. St John's basketball players though they get better by sitting around in their dorm rooms playing X box. If that's the case they should cancel fall practice, they'll be a lock for the post season.   

Marillac

« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2017, 10:31:14 PM »
We were either the second or fourth least experienced team of over 300 D-1 teams depending on the source. This notion that we couldn't improve with  potentially an extra three weeks and 4-6 games is absurd. You can't look for correlation in something like this generally. A team full of juniors and seniors that loses a half-dozen impact players after the season clearly won't get the same benefit as a team like SJU whose entire roster is eligible to play at least one more season.

Our guys haven't even figured out team defense yet. That can only be learned through experience and by making mistakes. The NCAA only allows teams to go on foreign tours one year out of like four or five. Why? Because that extra practice and competion gives teams an advantage (and smaller conference teams could never compete with the tours/competition the big boys could set up).

That win or go home atmosphere turns boys into men. Any experience handling that pressure from the travel and meals to the hotels to the game is good IMO. You bet your ass SouthCarolina benefitted from last year's NIT practice and games.

MCNPA

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »

Well played but leave aside this tournament or that. Name an endeavor where sitting around not doing it makes you better at it than doing it does. Everyone in the world gets better at doing what they do by doing what they do except evidently the basketball team that's won 15 games in two years. They're going to get better by not playing basketball. Musicians getting better by playing their instruments. Artists get better by painting. Mathematicians get better by doing equations. St John's basketball players though they get better by sitting around in their dorm rooms playing X box. If that's the case they should cancel fall practice, they'll be a lock for the post season.   

+1... this possible injury argument is ridiculous.  I've trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, including with some competitiors and when tell you the guys that are competing at it, live and breathe it. They train like they compete for several hours a day.  Compete often, and search for harder opponents all the time.  They're going all out, and this is a combat-art more potentially dangerous than basketball.  We should play in any tournaments we can.  In fact NCAA rules barring workouts and practices in the offseason is absurd as well.  Only way to improve it to keep hammering at it.

goredmen

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »
We were either the second or fourth least experienced team of over 300 D-1 teams depending on the source. This notion that we couldn't improve with  potentially an extra three weeks and 4-6 games is absurd. You can't look for correlation in something like this generally. A team full of juniors and seniors that loses a half-dozen impact players after the season clearly won't get the same benefit as a team like SJU whose entire roster is eligible to play at least one more season.

Our guys haven't even figured out team defense yet. That can only be learned through experience and by making mistakes. The NCAA only allows teams to go on foreign tours one year out of like four or five. Why? Because that extra practice and competion gives teams an advantage (and smaller conference teams could never compete with the tours/competition the big boys could set up).

That win or go home atmosphere turns boys into men. Any experience handling that pressure from the travel and meals to the hotels to the game is good IMO. You bet your ass SouthCarolina benefitted from last year's NIT practice and games.

I'm fine with most of this argument but pointing to South Carolina as an example of benefitting from last year's NIT is illogical. They played 2 games. They killed High Point and then got killed by Georgia Tech. The NIT didn't seem to help any of the NIT final 4 teams last year as none of them made the NCAA Tournament this year. And that's the NIT, which obviously we wouldn't reject an invite to, not the CBI.

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2017, 11:01:17 PM »
FOURTEEN AND NINETEEN

TONYD3

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:11 PM »
You bet your ass SouthCarolina benefitted from last year's NIT practice and games.

I'm fine with most of this argument but pointing to South Carolina as an example of benefitting from last year's NIT is illogical. They played 2 games. They killed High Point and then got killed by Georgia Tech. The NIT didn't seem to help any of the NIT final 4 teams last year as none of them made the NCAA Tournament this year. And that's the NIT, which obviously we wouldn't reject an invite to, not the CBI.

I had already typed my response to Marillac, but saw this one from goredmen.   

Here is my response: You could be right, but there's nothing to absolutely prove it.  You're probably gonna attempt to use their success in this season's NCAA Tournament.  But, what about the other schools who participated, and went farther in the NIT than the Gamecocks, but didn't do jack squat this season or ended back in the NIT?

Most people know you get better by practicing, but there isn't any proof that it will translate to the following season.  Baldi you do a good job stirring, trolling (no offense, dude, but even you can't deny you're trolling on this crap) and keeping this thread going for whatever reason....  Seriously, I doubt most St. John's fans didn't bat an eye when it came to not participating in either the CBI or CIT. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:29:18 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:16 PM »
FOURTEEN AND NINETEEN
108-67 (quote)
Exactly. We really improved from the first  two losses to Nova by what 10 and 13 to the 41 point drubbing. Sitting home watching other players playing in March Madness will give them more incentive than one or two dopey games against garbage competition (I know we suck too, Poison) they wouldn't have been motivated to play. LoVett probably wouldn't have shown up (then Mullin would have not started him for first 3 minutes in our first game next year as punishment) and Shamorie wouldn't have crossed half court on defense. These guys should be immediately working on their strength and conditioning and on their individual skills.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:59:57 PM by Celtics11 »

Poison

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:51 AM »
You bet your ass SouthCarolina benefitted from last year's NIT practice and games.

Here is my response: You could be right, but there's nothing to absolutely prove it.  You're probably gonna attempt to use their success in this seaon's NCAA Tournament.  But, what about the other schools who participated, and went farther in the NIT than the Gamecocks, but didn't do jack squat this season or ended back in the NIT?

Most people know you get better by practicing, but there isn't any proof that it will translate to the following season.  Baldi you do a good job stirring, trolling (no offense, dude, but even you can't deny you're trolling on this crap) and keeping this thread going for whatever reason....  Seriously, I doubt most St. John's fans didn't bat an eye about not playing in either the CBI or CIT. 

I think if the administration didn't want to play in the CIT then the administration should go F themselves because this coaching hire and staff is entirely their responsibility. We have a freshman team. They should be playing as many games as they possibly can, and Mullin should be coaching as many games as he possibly can until he learns how to do it. Right now, neither know what they're doing.

Let them practice until they learn, or like I said, they can all go F themselves.

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »

Here is my response: You could be right, but there's nothing to absolutely prove it.  You're probably gonna attempt to use their success in this seaon's NCAA Tournament.  But, what about the other schools who participated, and went farther in the NIT than the Gamecocks, but didn't do jack squat this season or ended back in the NIT?

Most people know you get better by practicing, but there isn't any proof that it will translate to the following season.  Baldi you do a good job stirring, trolling (no offense, dude, but even you can't deny you're trolling on this crap) and keeping this thread going for whatever reason....  Seriously, I doubt most St. John's fans didn't bat an eye about not playing in either the CBI or CIT. 

I think if the administration didn't want to play in the CIT then the administration should go F themselves because this coaching hire and staff is entirely their responsibility. We have a freshman team. They should be playing as many games as they possibly can, and Mullin should be coaching as many games as he possibly can until he learns how to do it. Right now, neither know what they're doing.

Let them practice until they learn, or like I said, they can all go F themselves.

Okay.

Marillac

« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2017, 12:44:53 AM »

I don't think it's illogical at all. Those two games were win or go home. You can't duplicate that pressure November tnrough February. That got them two extra weeks of practice and put the bad taste of having their season "ended" twice in their mouths which gives competitors a chip on their shoulder.  Guys who haven't been around a team in that atmosphere underestimate how important it is to experience the little details of class, travel, practice, sleep, and staying focused and loose through it all is to success. That experience is a big reason why programs like Xavier and Butler play so focused while many more talented teams can't get past the nerves.

Now, I'm not saying to caused a jump from NIT to the Elite Eight, but I'm sure it helped and I know it didn't hurt.

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »

I don't think it's illogical at all. Those two games were win or go home. You can't duplicate that pressure November tnrough February. That got them two extra weeks of practice and put the bad taste of having their season "ended" twice in their mouths which gives competitors a chip on their shoulder.  Guys who haven't been around a team in that atmosphere underestimate how important it is to experience the little details of class, travel, practice, sleep, and staying focused and loose through it all is to success. That experience is a big reason why programs like Xavier and Butler play so focused while many more talented teams can't get past the nerves.

Now, I'm not saying to caused a jump from NIT to the Elite Eight, but I'm sure it helped and I know it didn't hurt.

The reason why programs like Xavier and Butler continues to succeed, IMO, is based on the winning culture that has enveloped both programs.

The Gamecocks advancing to the second round in last season's NIT didn't hurt at all, but we can't say for certain it helped, as other team's (a few who even went further than South Carolina) in last season's NIT either didn't do diddly this season or went back to the NIT.

Marillac

« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:02 AM »

The reason why programs like Xavier and Butler continues to succeed, IMO, is based on the winning culture that has enveloped both programs.

The Gamecocks advancing to the second round in last season's NIT didn't hurt at all, but we can't say for certain it helped, as other team's (a few who even went further than South Carolina) in last season's NIT either didn't do diddly this season or went back to the NIT.

Again, that goes back to who they lost and who they returned. If you lose four seniors and a transfer from your 8-9 man rotation, a postseason trip won't have the same effect as it would with a team like us who started four first year players and a second year player.

« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »

Again, that goes back to who they lost and who they returned. If you lose four seniors and a transfer from your 8-9 man rotation, a postseason trip won't have the same effect as it would with a team like us who started four first year players and a second year player.

BYU, Georgia Tech and George Washington returned enough talent from last season's NIT, respectively, to where they could've catapulted to the NCAA's, this season.  Yes, Georgia Tech has a new coach and they're still playing in the NIT, but as I stated, their success in the NIT last season didn't take 'em to the NCAA Tournament in '17.

It's late, and I could be forgetting others.  I also know Indiana's Sweet 16 run didn't propel 'em at all this season.  They had enough ammo to return to the NCAA Tournament (even with the loss of Yogi Ferrell.

So, again, there isn't any proof the Gamecocks extra two games in last season's NIT absolutely has anything to do with this season's NCAA Tournament run.  I totally agree, it didn't hurt 'em.  But, you can't say for sure it has helped 'em.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:55:31 AM by mjdinkins »

LoganK

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
They'll be no stopping them on their Road to the Final Four next season.  ;)

Final 4 of a C tournament with St Johns
For Marco, Foad and Poison:
CBI Finals best two out of three will be televised by ESPNU on Monday, Wednesday and if necessary Friday night. The CIT semi-finals will be televised by CBSSN on Wednesday night with the final televised on Friday night. Enjoy fellas!
The CBI is two of three?  That's awesome
Also, regarding the "There's no correlation between playing in a postseason tournament and added success the following year" talk, what is this based on?  Were the teams used in this study among the three youngest teams the year they played in the postseason tournament?  If any of the teams as young as us who played in a crappy tournament got worse the following year, I would hope the coach was fired.
As Foad and others have said, you get better through experience.  You gain experience by playing.  I'm not sure why this is even an argument.  There may have been other reasons they didn't want to play in a tourney (in theory, had they been invited) but any coach in the land will tell you a young team would get better by playing basketball, rather than by playing video games and drinking.

Foad

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
I haven't played golf in about five years, although I do watch others play on television. This lack of practice combined with the hunger for success that watching others win tournaments brings will no doubt after just a few more years of inactivity make me a lock for the senior tour.

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
Extra games couldn't have hurt but personally I'm glad the season is over. CBI/CIT seems like one of these stupid participation awards that kids get nowadays

Both my brackets are blown up now so let's go zags !

goredmen

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »

Also, regarding the "There's no correlation between playing in a postseason tournament and added success the following year" talk, what is this based on? 

It's based on looking at who was successful in postseason tournaments one year and not seeing any improvement next year despite returning key players. Pretty simple actually

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
Practice helps no matter what time of the year it is. You can argue that it won't help "a lot." But to say there is no correlation between extra practice/experience and future success is completely illogical.