17-18 Player Contributions

• 179 replies
Re: 17-18 Player Contributions
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
Lovett Ponds simon clark Owens
 Ahmed first in if we need offense
 Yakwe if we need defense.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »

We're not going to start our senior?

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Perfect offense off the bench getting 25-30 minutes. Someone will get squeezed

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »

Perfect offense off the bench getting 25-30 minutes. Someone will get squeezed

Agree.

Marillac

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
Unless Yakwe surpassed Owens in practice, Owens deserves to be in the starting 5, at least for first game of season.

Owens averaged 18 mpg last year when we needed him to play 30. I'd rather him miss the first 3-4 minutes of each half than the last. He also changes the game instantly, and that is a big deal with a short bench.

Foad

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »

St John's is such a talented 14 win team that a junior who averaged 14 points a game and led the team in rebounds as a senior gets to be sixth man, unless they need defense, which they do, because the defense stinks, then he gets to be seventh man. Good position to be in to have that kind of depth.

Foad

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Unless Yakwe surpassed Owens in practice, Owens deserves to be in the starting 5, at least for first game of season.

Owens averaged 18 mpg last year when we needed him to play 30. I'd rather him miss the first 3-4 minutes of each half than the last. He also changes the game instantly, and that is a big deal with a short bench.

Agree that his minutes were a problem and that he makes sense as a sixth man because he's about the only player they have who can change the game by entering it. But his 18 minutes last year were a little misleading. He played 67 minutes over the first 5 and 65 minutes over the last 6 and and 15 versus Delaware (4 minutes) and Tulane (11). That's 147 minutes in 13 games, 11 mpg. (Four of the seven games he fouled out of were in the pre-season - Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, LIU.) In the remaining 20 he played ~  23 minutes pg, the bulk of that versus the BE. Which is not outlandish, for a first year player. It may be that he wasn't not as fragile as we think, or as dumb. Maybe he was just a mite too enthusiastic.

Poison

« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »

Agree that his minutes were a problem and that he makes sense as a sixth man because he's about the only player they have who can change the game by entering it. But his 18 minutes last year were a little misleading. He played 67 minutes over the first 5 and 65 minutes over the last 6 and and 15 versus Delaware (4 minutes) and Tulane (11). That's 147 minutes in 13 games, 11 mpg. (Four of the seven games he fouled out of were in the pre-season - Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, LIU.) In the remaining 20 he played ~  23 minutes pg, the bulk of that versus the BE. Which is not outlandish, for a first year player. It may be that he wasn't not as fragile as we think, or as dumb. Maybe he was just a mite too enthusiastic.

Who thinks Owens is dumb? He's the smartest player on the team, and he was from day 1.

Foad

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »

Who thinks Owens is dumb? He's the smartest player on the team, and he was from day 1.

I meant only that he commits the occasional dumb foul.

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »

St John's is such a talented 14 win team that a junior who averaged 14 points a game and led the team in rebounds as a senior gets to be sixth man, unless they need defense, which they do, because the defense stinks, then he gets to be seventh man. Good position to be in to have that kind of depth.

So what’s your our starting five?  Ahmed at 4 and Yakwe at 5 is smallest front court option we have. Starting bashir and Owens leaves two 6’7 pf’s off the bench.

Foad

« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »

So what’s your our starting five?  Ahmed at 4 and Yakwe at 5 is smallest front court option we have. Starting bashir and Owens leaves two 6’7 pf’s off the bench.

I expect Lovett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yawke, Clarke/Owens to start. The guards are the two best players on the team, Ahmed's a senior who averaged 13 and 5 as a junior, Yawke's a two year starter and someone needs to play center. 

The problem with Ahmed as the sixth man is that it plays into his weakness, which is a tendency to play out of control. Because the message it sends to him is that it's his role to go in and make something happen on offense, whereas ideally he'd let the game come to him.

QuanMan

« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
People are sleeping on JSimon starting. I lean towards the 3 guard lineup to start out, with Bash and Yakwe complimenting their free flowing, fast break driven offense. I think CM will go with this lineup especially against smaller teams. To be able to bring a 6'7 Clark and 6'10 Owens off the bench will be very dangerous for opponents. Add in solid contributions from Bryan Trimble and Amar and this team is pretty deep.

The Shamorie/Marcus combo should gain national attention this year, they're that good together. Healthy conversation to have bc for the first time since the 2014-15 season we have a loaded roster.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

I expect Lovett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yawke, Clarke/Owens to start. The guards are the two best players on the team, Ahmed's a senior who averaged 13 and 5 as a junior, Yawke's a two year starter and someone needs to play center. 

The problem with Ahmed as the sixth man is that it plays into his weakness, which is a tendency to play out of control. Because the message it sends to him is that it's his role to go in and make something happen on offense, whereas ideally he'd let the game come to him.

All fair but I don't agree with any lineup that has Simon off bench. If Bashir starts its at 4. This staff started Malik Ellison for 2 years.

Foad

« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
All fair but I don't agree with any lineup that has Simon off bench. If Bashir starts its at 4. This staff started Malik Ellison for 2 years.

Ellison started last year because there were not a lot of alternatives. He started barely at all as a freshman despite there not being a lot of alternatives. Re Simon I'm at a disadvantage having never seen him play. He might be the second coming. But he might not be and anyway he and Clark have a lot of rust to shake off, versus various players who are experienced in the system. Ahmed is not a four, Yakwe is. Three guards and those two starting is three players starting at unnatural positions. I don't see how anything good can come from that.

« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »

Ellison started last year because there were not a lot of alternatives. He started barely at all as a freshman despite there not being a lot of alternatives. Re Simon I'm at a disadvantage having never seen him play. He might be the second coming. But he might not be and anyway he and Clark have a lot of rust to shake off, versus various players who are experienced in the system. Ahmed is not a four, Yakwe is. Three guards and those two starting is three players starting at unnatural positions. I don't see how anything good can come from that.

Start the best 5 players

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »

Start the best 5 players

Lets hear them.

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
Starting isn't as important as who is on the court for the final four minutes...

Ponds, Lovett, Simon, Clark and Owens.

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
Starting isn't as important as who is on the court for the final four minutes...

Ponds, Lovett, Simon, Clark and Owens.

Starting is pretty important, especially when you're not in  games at the end

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »

Start the best 5 players

Lets hear them.

Hope it's Lovett, Ponds, Simon, Ahmed, Clark. If Simon and Clark aren't starter material,  wtf are they doing here

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
John Fanta‏
@John_Fanta
Talking to @StJohnsBball's Marvin Clark & Justin Simon, they said Bryan Trimble's toughness has stood out. High praise for a freshman #sjubb