Picked 6th by BE Coaches

• 57 replies

Marillac

Re: Picked 6th by BE Coaches
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
I dont think its talked about enough how good of passers Lovett and Ponds are. Ponds especially has great vision and touch. Lovett is as good as any guard in the country while playing at top speed whereas ponds can play with any guard at seemingly any pace.  Im hoping ML learns to play at that lower gear this year.

I say all that knowing that if either of ML or SP brought nothing to the table aside from their ability to shoot, they would still get minutes. Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better

It blows my mind the lack of respect Ponds gets as a PG by the same people that are so desperate to label a 6'5 215 wing one. Ponds has the best touch I've ever see from a St. John's guard ever. He also has a tight handle and superb vision. If Simon was able to hit 40% from three he'd live in the corner like Jalen Lindsey, but he can't.

ras

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:31 PM »
If I were Ponds I would be begging to play the point. He is too small for an NBA 2.  IMO his NBA stock would be higher as a pg due to his size. That said ,W Lovett here , he maybe more helpful to us as a 2. The odds are Lovett won’t be around next year and the PG position seems to Ponds for next year.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:12:47 PM by ras »

goredmen

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
I dont think its talked about enough how good of passers Lovett and Ponds are. Ponds especially has great vision and touch. Lovett is as good as any guard in the country while playing at top speed whereas ponds can play with any guard at seemingly any pace.  Im hoping ML learns to play at that lower gear this year.

I say all that knowing that if either of ML or SP brought nothing to the table aside from their ability to shoot, they would still get minutes. Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better

It blows my mind the lack of respect Ponds gets as a PG by the same people that are so desperate to label a 6'5 215 wing one. Ponds has the best touch I've ever see from a St. John's guard ever. He also has a tight handle and superb vision. If Simon was able to hit 40% from three he'd live in the corner like Jalen Lindsey, but he can't.

Why are you infatuated with the fact that a 6'5 kid can't be a PG because he's 6'5. Simon's size has absolutely no impact on if he can play PG or not.

Also, lets put aside the argument of if Simon is actually a PG for a second. Wouldn't the team be far better off if Simon could be a solid PG? Having a solid pass-first PG that could get Lovett and Ponds the ball in easier scoring situations would do wonders for our offensive efficiency.

What I don't get is it seems like you are rooting for Simon not to be a PG. Nobody that hasn't been inside SJU practices in the past couple years knows for sure whether or not Simon can play PG for us, including you and me. But I sure hope he can be a PG and you should too

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
If I were Ponds I would be begging to play the point. He is too small for an NBA 2.  IMO his NBA stock would be higher as a pg due to his size. That said ,W Lovett here , he maybe more helpful to us as a 2. The odds are Lovett won’t be around next year and the PG position seems to Ponds for next year.
What about Mikey Dixon, is he a combo or more a PG or SG? Seems like these guys are more like basketball players than pure PG or SG these days.

ras

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
I think Dixon is a 2. Also undersized. But, supposedly an excellent shooter.  It certainly is not a given that Ponds will be the pg next year. If he’s a much better shooter than Simon and both are on the floor at the same time, who plays the 1 and who plays the 2?  But, let’s enjoy this year first.

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Too many unknowns for next year guard roster.  Need to see how they perform this year.  For all we know, Lovett stays & Ponds gets drafted or both leave or both stay.

hnk

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
If both stay next year, we should be loaded and have a shot of top 25......with additions already on campus plus Roberts.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
The only reason why Ponds or LoVett should consider leaving after this season is if they believe that will not play in the league. If you know you're not an NBA player, leaving for Italy or France at 19 or 20 isn't so crazy.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
The only reason why Ponds or LoVett should consider leaving after this season is if they believe that will not play in the league. If you know you're not an NBA player, leaving for Italy or France at 19 or 20 isn't so crazy.

or 22 yrs old (Lovett's age at season's end)

If they make big improvement, I really hope he stays at least one more year to see how far we can go, and also he'd be able to finish his degree.

cjfish

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
I think the obsession with who is a 1 or a 2 is absurd.  They are all excellent guards who can penetrate and dish and Ponds and Lovett are good shooters whereas I see Simon as a slasher.  The fact that all 3 can dish will give other teams problems and a rotating point will cause confusion to the opposition.  Pass and move off the ball should be very effective for all 3.   

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better

They don't do everything well but hopefully they are only going to get better in that glaring area of deficiency for them.

Offensivly*

And I’m on record saying Ponds will win a BE defensive poy at some point.

Bingo.

The second thing is a bold prediction considering where he was at (or should I say wasn't at) as a freshmen.

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »

You crazy.  Sham gets nothing but respect on this board, in the BE, in the tri-state area and nationally.

He's invited to play on these collegiate all-star teams; makes all these national player to watch lists and gets asked to run with Carmelo.  Kid gets nothing but respect.

Love it - not as much.

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
You crazy.  Sham gets nothing but respect on this board, in the BE, in the tri-state area and nationally.

He's invited to play on these collegiate all-star teams; makes all these national player to watch lists and gets asked to run with Carmelo.  Kid gets nothing but respect..

Is Golden State or another NBA team available to practice at St Johns this year. That's another good exposure.

This is the longest Marcus has stayed in a long time. I would be really surprised if he stayed after this year. He has Europe in his future.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »

Why are you infatuated with the fact that a 6'5 kid can't be a PG because he's 6'5. Simon's size has absolutely no impact on if he can play PG or not.

Also, lets put aside the argument of if Simon is actually a PG for a second. Wouldn't the team be far better off if Simon could be a solid PG? Having a solid pass-first PG that could get Lovett and Ponds the ball in easier scoring situations would do wonders for our offensive efficiency.

What I don't get is it seems like you are rooting for Simon not to be a PG. Nobody that hasn't been inside SJU practices in the past couple years knows for sure whether or not Simon can play PG for us, including you and me. But I sure hope he can be a PG and you should too

Very easy answer:  we need a bouncy wing that will play hard defense and rebound like a mad man and not another kid that wants to be a PG.  Ponds is an NBA PG and Lovett is a top college PG. I despise bigger players trying to force themselves down the position latter. I'm perfectly fine with a SF playing some point-forward or taking people off the bounce when he has the mismatch. I'm also perfectly fine when a PF like Bash or Clark (or Brownlee) does the same in a small lineup mismatch. If someone told me right now that Simon averaged 3 offensive boards per game and was one of the best defenders in the conference I'd guarantee an NCAA appearance. If someone told me averaged 4-5 assists...I'd think we won 14-16 games.

goredmen

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:59 PM »

Very easy answer:  we need a bouncy wing that will play hard defense and rebound like a mad man and not another kid that wants to be a PG.  Ponds is an NBA PG and Lovett is a top college PG. I despise bigger players trying to force themselves down the position latter. I'm perfectly fine with a SF playing some point-forward or taking people off the bounce when he has the mismatch. I'm also perfectly fine when a PF like Bash or Clark (or Brownlee) does the same in a small lineup mismatch. If someone told me right now that Simon averaged 3 offensive boards per game and was one of the best defenders in the conference I'd guarantee an NCAA appearance. If someone told me averaged 4-5 assists...I'd think we won 14-16 games.

What? He can't rebound or play hard nosed defense if he's a PG? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 11:57:22 PM »

What? He can't rebound or play hard nosed defense if he's a PG? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

WE DONT NEED A POINT GUARD!!! Do you get that? We have two preseason all Big East point guards. We need a nasty wing player to pound the offensive glass, start transition that leads to easy points, and dunk all over people. Simon dribbles the ball way too high and CLEARLY lacks the handle to be a primary ball handler for any decent team. I'm sure there will be a few games early where he picks up 6-7 assists, but he's not a PG. This ongoing debate is absurd. He didn't play a single minute of PG or SG at Arizona and he was not asked to handle the ball. He was asked to defend and rebound.

goredmen

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 12:58:15 AM »

WE DONT NEED A POINT GUARD!!! Do you get that? We have two preseason all Big East point guards. We need a nasty wing player to pound the offensive glass, start transition that leads to easy points, and dunk all over people. Simon dribbles the ball way too high and CLEARLY lacks the handle to be a primary ball handler for any decent team. I'm sure there will be a few games early where he picks up 6-7 assists, but he's not a PG. This ongoing debate is absurd. He didn't play a single minute of PG or SG at Arizona and he was not asked to handle the ball. He was asked to defend and rebound.

But again please explain to me why he can't rebound or play defense if he was a PG?

You've never seen him play more than 3 minutes of a college basketball game but you act like you've seen every dribble he's taken since he was 12 years old. He is going to play some point this year because he has point guard skills. So will Lovett and so will Ponds. If he is playing point he will still be able to rebound and defend as if he was playing the 2 or the 3.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

But again please explain to me why he can't rebound or play defense if he was a PG?

You've never seen him play more than 3 minutes of a college basketball game but you act like you've seen every dribble he's taken since he was 12 years old. He is going to play some point this year because he has point guard skills. So will Lovett and so will Ponds. If he is playing point he will still be able to rebound and defend as if he was playing the 2 or the 3.

The one thing this team doesn't need is another PG. We need to own the 1-4 positions and play even at the 5. I want Simon in a position where he is ready to strike on every shot on offense like Postell and his 3.5 offensive rebounds per game. If I'm making Dom Pointer junior year posts about having 2 offensive boards over 6-7 games, the season is over. I believe the best statistical indicator for the season would be Simon leading the team in rebounds ala Postell.

Artest averaged 4.2 assists per game as a soph. Ellison averaged 3.3 last year as a soph. Kennedy averaged 3.0 assists as a soph. Pointer averaged 2.8 assists as a soph. Being a secondary ball-handler and distributer is part of the job description of a SF!