I have a small fat grandmamma,
With a very slippery knees,
And she's Keeper of the Cupboard,
With the key, key, key.

And when I'm very good, my dear,
As good as good can be,
There's Banbury Cakes, and Lollypops
For me, me, me.
Same shit. Only losers make excuses. How is that 16th RPI ?

I didn't make an excuse, I merely pointed out that you're poorly educated even for a public school teacher and then being the helpful sort used the word you didn't know in a sentence for context, you know, like a spelling bee.

TONYD3

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
It’s cupards. 

No, it's cupboards.

I know a little cupboard,
With a teeny tiny key,
And there's a jar of Lollypops
For me, me, me.

It has a little shelf, my dear,
As dark, as dark can be,
And there's a dish of Banbury Cakes
For me, me, me.

I have a small fat grandmamma,
With a very slippery knees,
And she's Keeper of the Cupboard,
With the key, key, key.

And when I'm very good, my dear,
As good as good can be,
There's Banbury Cakes, and Lollypops
For me, me, me.
Same shit. Only losers make excuses. How is that 16th RPI ?

I didn't make an excuse, I merely pointed out that you're poorly educated even for a public school teacher and then being the helpful sort used the word you didn't know in a sentence for context, you know, like a spelling bee.
This is a Basketball site. You dont discuss Basketball. You like to call names like a tough guy. I have been right or write the entire time. How is coach Mullin or Mullins doing? So you can reference cupards cupboards or any other stupid thing on wilkapedia or Wikipedia? The spelling isn’t important to me . It makes me lazy. Not stupid. Typing on phone in the toilet is not exactly the same as typing in your foad room.

Posting ridiculous stats without context or sample size makes you stupid. I used to think that. Now I think you know little about Sports . U or you may really believe some of the non sense you post you believe you are the foad.

If we needed a coach? Why would not go after Jamie Dixon or someone like him? Similar money. Why should we keep coach Mullins ? (I did it again) do you have stats to back up your argument? I have some stats and it has nothing to do with cupards!

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
Competing for BE title? When were we doing that?  Year after elite 8. If we win 19 and 20 and on bubble job well done
Competing for BE title? When were we doing that?  Year after elite 8. If we win 19 and 20 and on bubble job well done

You guys are totally missing the point.  You have to look at this overall.  Go back to 2015 and the hire.  You just fired Lavin. Ask yourself this, if I would have told you that after the 4th year of the new hire you may have a season good enough to match the last season Lavin had I think most people would've thought that hire would be a joke.  No way it should take that long to be decent let alone good.

If you are saying that we need to re-calibrate our expectations AT THIS POINT because we Year 3 is a disaster than fine.  But that is not my position.

Think of it this way.  After Norm's 5th year when they went 6-12 and missed the NIT I would say his 6th year is a must NCAA year.

You could argue that, "Hey Fordham at this point a realistic move would be the NIT for 09-10."  And guess what that argument could be reasonable.  But that's not the point you can't use his failures as a basis for his expectations.   It doesn't work. You are basing the new expectations on his step back this year, well he has to pay a price on this step back.  The price is he needs to now take a HUGE  step next year.

How he does it is his problem not mine.  How was Norm Roberts supposed to make the NCAA'S in year 6 without making anything up to that point?  I don't know.  His priblem not mine.  But when he didn't he lost his job...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:51:29 AM by fordham96 »

Johnny23

« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
While on the topic of coaching, TCU just came on and Jamie Dixon is a ridiculously good coach. Has a school like TCU which has no hoops history, awful right before he arrives and turns them into a top 20 team in 2 years. Now that's coaching. For those of you that think all coaches are created equally and get better with time.

Excellent point. Dixon is a four time national coach of the year and the 12th winningest active coach in division one. Everyone expected him to fail at TCU except you. Congratulations for recognizing that he's a good coach when it escaped everyone else's notice.

I see that you've been making stuff up lately in place of factual comments.  Try 2 time national coach of the year in '09 and '11. The Jim Phelan award that he won in '10 I don't count as any award that names Tim Miles the national coach of the year with a 19-13 record can hardly be taken seriously. Even with that award, he would be a 3 time winner, not 4 as you said. So you exaggerated on Dixon's achievements. Furthermore, TCU was a shit program and he turned them into a top 20 team in under 2 years. You act like everyone predicted Dixon would turn them into a national contender in short order which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it was a pretty big surprise in the college hoops world when he left a well established Pitt hoops program for unaccomplished, inexperienced TCU. Stop acting like you knew he would turn them around so quickly because you didn't.

« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »

You guys are totally missing the point.  You have to look at this overall.  Go back to 2015 and the hire.  You just fired Lavin. Ask yourself this, if I would have told you that after the 4th year of the new hire you may have a season good enough to match the last season Lavin had I think most people would've thought that hire would be a joke.  No way it should take that long to be decent let alone good.

If you are saying that we need to re-calibrate our expectations AT THIS POINT because we Year 3 is a disaster than fine.  But that is not my position.

Think of it this way.  After Norm's 5th year when they went 6-12 and missed the NIT I would say his 6th year is a must NCAA year.

You could argue that, "Hey Fordham at this point a realistic move would be the NIT for 09-10."  And guess what that argument could be reasonable.  But that's not the point you can't use his failures as a basis for his expectations.   It doesn't work. You are basing the new expectations on his step back this year, well he has to pay a price on this step back.  The price is he needs to now take a HUGE  step next year.

How he does it is his problem not mine.  How was Norm Roberts supposed to make the NCAA'S in year 6 without making anything up to that point?  I don't know.  His priblem not mine.  But when he didn't he lost his job...

If he wasn't Chris Mullin I would probably agree if no NCAA next year need to go in another direction. If I thought program would or could hire a decent replacement I would agree if no NCAA we should go in another direction. If we do wind up replacing Mullin school needs to hire a solid game coach from mid major who will recruit to fit his system which would hopefully be with dependency on the 3 point shot. It is 2018 and that is what everyone does. Get a solid coach and give him time to build the program to where we are solid every year with no roster shortages and prolonged down times. I think this could be done. No more flashy but risky hires.

Foad

« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
I see that you've been making stuff up lately in place of factual comments.  Try 2 time national coach of the year in '09 and '11. The Jim Phelan award that he won in '10 I don't count as any award that names Tim Miles the national coach of the year with a 19-13 record can hardly be taken seriously. Even with that award, he would be a 3 time winner, not 4 as you said. So you exaggerated on Dixon's achievements.

What I did was quote Dixon's bio from TCU's website:

"Dixon, a 2007 TCU Hall of Fame Inductee, returned to his alma mater on March 22, 2016, after serving 13 seasons as head coach at the University of Pittsburgh. Dixon, who has earned four college basketball National Coach of the Year honors, including the 2009 Naismith Coach of the Year, previously served as an assistant at Pitt, Northern Arizona, Hawaii and UC Santa Barbara. He enters the 2017-18 season ranked No. 12 among winningest active Division I coaches with a winning percentage of .718."

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jamie_dixon_1009510.html

Argue with them, I'm not  their fact checker.

Apology accepted.

Furthermore, TCU was a shit program and he turned them into a top 20 team in under 2 years. You act like everyone predicted Dixon would turn them into a national contender in short order which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it was a pretty big surprise in the college hoops world when he left a well established Pitt hoops program for unaccomplished, inexperienced TCU. Stop acting like you knew he would turn them around so quickly because you didn't.

I'm not acting like anything. I didn't know that Dixon was coaching anywhere or that TCU even had a basketball team. What I was reacting to was your strawman: "For those of you that think all coaches are created equally and get better with time." No one has ever said that and no one believes it. Neither am I surprised that a four time national coach of the year is a good coach. I don't recall him being named as a possible successor to Lavin. I'm sure that had he been hired everyone would have been pretty happy.

Johnny23

« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
I see that you've been making stuff up lately in place of factual comments.  Try 2 time national coach of the year in '09 and '11. The Jim Phelan award that he won in '10 I don't count as any award that names Tim Miles the national coach of the year with a 19-13 record can hardly be taken seriously. Even with that award, he would be a 3 time winner, not 4 as you said. So you exaggerated on Dixon's achievements.

"Dixon, a 2007 TCU Hall of Fame Inductee, returned to his alma mater on March 22, 2016, after serving 13 seasons as head coach at the University of Pittsburgh. Dixon, who has earned four college basketball National Coach of the Year honors, including the 2009 Naismith Coach of the Year, previously served as an assistant at Pitt, Northern Arizona, Hawaii and UC Santa Barbara. He enters the 2017-18 season ranked No. 12 among winningest active Division I coaches with a winning percentage of .718."

Apology accepted.

Furthermore, TCU was a shit program and he turned them into a top 20 team in under 2 years. You act like everyone predicted Dixon would turn them into a national contender in short order which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it was a pretty big surprise in the college hoops world when he left a well established Pitt hoops program for unaccomplished, inexperienced TCU. Stop acting like you knew he would turn them around so quickly because you didn't.

I'm not acting like anything. I didn't know that Dixon was coaching anywhere or that TCU even had a basketball team. What I was reacting to was your strawman: "For those of you that think all coaches are created equally and get better with time." No one has ever said that and no one believes it. Neither am I surprised that a four time national coach of the year is a good coach. I don't recall him being named as a possible successor to Lavin. I'm sure that had he been hired everyone would have been pretty happy.

His bio isn't wrong. However your interpretation of his bio was wrong. Like I said, he was never, ever a 4 time national coach of the year. As his bio states "earned 4 national college coach of the year" awards. That is different than what you said "4 time national coach of the year".  You do realize that 4 time national coach of the year means that he won the award in 4 different seasons. Factually incorrect. He was a 3 time national coach of the year and just happened to win coach of the year from two different sources in the SAME year.

So he was never a 4 time national coach of the year like I said. Maybe next time you should comprehend what you're reading before interpeting it as fact. I accept your apology.

Foad

« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
Typing on phone in the toilet is not exactly the same as typing in your foad room.

Pics or it didn't happen

Foad

« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

Apology accepted.

His bio isn't wrong. However your interpretation of his bio was wrong. Like I said, he was never, ever a 4 time national coach of the year. As his bio states "earned 4 national college coach of the year" awards. That is different than what you said "4 time national coach of the year".  You do realize that 4 time national coach of the year means that he won the award in 4 different seasons. Factually incorrect. He was a 3 time national coach of the year and just happened to win coach of the year from two different sources in the SAME year.

So he was never a 4 time national coach of the year like I said. Maybe next time you should comprehend what you're reading before interpeting it as fact. I accept your apology.

Zzzz. They said " Dixon ... has earned four college basketball National Coach of the Year honors." I said "Dixon is a four time national coach of the year." It's exactly the same thing.

« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »

Matt Abdelmassih
‏@mabde33
 2h
2 hours ago

Never a consolation prize to have moral victories. Nobody in our program feels good. Nothing worthwhile is ever easily achieved. We will stick with each other, stay committed to knowing we are close & must earn the right to win. I know better days are ahead #sjubb

« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:21 PM »
Brian Mahoney was 24-30 his first 3 seasons in conference.

Fran was 21-15 in his only 2 years.

Jarvis was 34-16 his first 3 years.

Norm was 14-34.

Lavin, including the year he missed with cancer, was 26-28 thru his first 3 years.

Mullin is 8-34 currently, which puts him on a path to easily have the worst 3 year start in the post Carnesecca era, wrt to conference record.

Obviously not all circumstances are the same so it is not fair to say all bad seasons are directly the responsibility of the HC.

I will say this, all of those previous coaches were eventually fired.  And all except for Fran were fired for performance.

And Mullin is off to a WORSE start than all of them. If you were like me hoping that Mullin would instill some confidence that this regime would yield a different result that stat is hard to overlook And obviously does not bode well.

And I standby what I said earlier, you don't get credit next year for simply improving in year 4 from year 3 when year 3 was a disaster of your making.  Better do better than just improving.  Improving is for years 2 and 3.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:38:26 PM by fordham96 »

goredmen

« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »

Obviously not all circumstances are the same so it is not fair to say all bad seasons are directly the responsibility of the HC.

Since this sentence is true, it completely dismisses everything before it. It is fair to be critical of this staff, everyone knows I have been, but to compare Mullin's record at this point to his predecessors is completely useless considering what Mullin inherited

« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »

Since this sentence is true, it completely dismisses everything before it. It is fair to be critical of this staff, everyone knows I have been, but to compare Mullin's record at this point to his predecessors is completely useless considering what Mullin inherited

It's not completely useless.  Disagree.  Hard to argue it is worse than Norm considering the NCAA sanctions making it nearly impossible to recruit.  And Norm improved every year, 2-14, 5-11 to 7-9. 

But take your pick with the ones who enjoyed early success they would have a dip.  But there was still success.  None of them went from awful, to mediocre immediately back to awful....

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »

Correct - just like Norm was dealt a really bad hand too... There are legitimate criticisms to be made of current coaching or player construction, however, this season is really hard to evaluate coaching.  The team is too short handed. Frankly, the coaching can't be properly evaluated until the coach has two seasons of a properly constructed team.  The first team for Mullin, with a proper squad, will be next year.

We all wished it would be this year. It didn't happen. Too bad. There is no use crying over it at this point.  It's completely wasted energy.

That being said, the staff must stay on at least two more full seasons, with a full team, to be evaluated.
Just root for a full team next year and the following year.

Mullin might be the worst coach in basketball...i doubt it because he's a winner, but we won't know until two seasons from now.

If Mullin leaves this year, then I guarantee you it'll be five to eight years before we're back to same spot.  He absolutely has to stay, and so the majority, if not all the staff.  Anything choice, would be an utterly stupid decision by the athletic department.

I'm definitely repeating myself in this post, from other posts, but since other maniac posters just repeat themselves all day long, then I'll feel free to do it when i like to as well.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:59:34 PM by RedmenNYC »

« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »

Correct - just like Norm was dealt a really bad hand too... There are legitimate criticisms to be made of current coaching or player construction, however, this season is really hard to evaluate coaching.  The team is too short handed. Frankly, the coaching can't be properly evaluated until the coach has two seasons of a proper constructed team.  That first team with a proper squad will be next year.

We all wished it would be this year. It didn't happen. Too bad. There is no use crying over it at this point.  It's completely wasted energy.

That being said, the staff must at least two more full seasons, with a full team, to be evaluated.

Mullin might be the worst coach in basketball...i doubt it because he's a winner, but we won't know until two seasons from now.

If Mullin leaves this year, then i guarantee you it'll be five to eight years before we're back to same spot.  He absolutely has to stay, and so does all, if not the majority of the staff.  Anything choice, would be an utterly stupid decision by the athletic department.

I'm definitely repeating myself in this post, from other posts, but since other maniac posters just repeat themselves all day long, then I'll feel free to do it when i like to as well.  :)

I am not asking him to leave.  And you are making my point.  I agree Norm took over a disaster in a better conference and his 3 year record is better than CM's...think about that...Norm ultimately did nothing....And Chris is behind his pace...

My larger point is no more benefit of the doubt.  He picked this roster, he whiffed in numerous kids and went thru the Slice drama.  He wants a pass for this disaster he has it.

But next year better be a quantum leap considering the leap backwards this year.

And if I had a nickel for every time I heard a coaching change will set us back another 3 years I would be rich...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:03:39 PM by fordham96 »

Pete88

« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2018, 10:06:24 PM »

If Mullin leaves this year, then i guarantee you it'll be five to eight years before we're back to same spot.  He absolutely has to stay, and so does all, if not the majority of the staff.  Anything choice, would be an utterly stupid decision by the athletic department.

Wait, what??? This year has been brutal and I'm not one pushing for Mullin to be ousted, but your comment makes no sense.   Can it possibly be much worse than it is now?  Why would it take a new regime 5-8 years to get to what level --- winless in BE play?  I think that level of futility can be achieved much quicker....

« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »

Wait, what??? This year has been brutal and I'm not one pushing for Mullin to be ousted, but your comment makes no sense.   Can it possibly be much worse than it is now?  Why would it take a new regime 5-8 years to get to what level --- winless in BE play?  I think that level of futility can be achieved much quicker....

Precisely, that argument itself is stupid.

Do people understand right now he is 8-34 in BE play...0-6 this year and 0-4 at home.  They lost to the projected 2 worst teams at home...

And you are worried about being set back, from that....

He's getting a 4th year but please make a better argument..

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:11:22 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »

Correct - just like Norm was dealt a really bad hand too... There are legitimate criticisms to be made of current coaching or player construction, however, this season is really hard to evaluate coaching.  The team is too short handed. Frankly, the coaching can't be properly evaluated until the coach has two seasons of a proper constructed team.  That first team with a proper squad will be next year.

That being said, the staff must at least two more full seasons, with a full team, to be evaluated.

I am not asking him to leave.  And you are making my point.  I agree Norm took over a disaster in a better conference and his 3 year record is better than CM's...think about that...Norm ultimately did nothing....And Chris is behind his pace...

My larger point is no more benefit of the doubt.  He picked this roster, he whiffed in numerous kids and went thru the Slice drama.  He grants a pass for this disaster he has it.

But next year better be a quantum leap considering the leap backwards this tear.

And if I had a nickel for every time I heard a coaching change will set us back another 3 years U would be rich...

We are very close in our thinking.  I'm not really arguing against you.  Yes, the regression this year has to be taken into consideration.   

But I will posit that that next year, with a full team, and the year following will be much more telling / important than evaluating this year.

It's analogous to a finance guy incorrectly worrying over sunk costs...  this year is a 'sunk cost', this year is done, caput - so there is no reason to sweat it anymore. 

One basically has to look at this, like any other financial decision  - as a present value of future cash flows.. If you think that rolling the dice on a brand new coach, losing ALL the recruits next season, and gambling they be a better team way off in the future -  has a higher present value than Mullin would generate with the expected full roster for the next few years... then by all means go ahead and make a change.  However, I think any sound financier wouldn't make that bet.  The better expected value would be to bet on Mullin the next couple of years.   

This is really a financial decision for the school. I would argue, that the best way to look at this is from a 'discounted cash flow' perspective - it's a simple just but a present value of the expected returns...

What's the best expected return?  I say bet on full roster the next couple of years brings the best 'expected value'.

« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2018, 10:14:47 PM »

Because making a regime change would guarantee the gutter...at last with keeping the coaching staff, and returning players you have the 'optionality' of the upside of a full roster.   It's that simple.

TONYD3

« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »
This is silly . I am done arguing. Either he quits and we start over. Or he comes back and we lose again. Nothing to debate.