Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
If we do not make the NIT next year I would bet he steps down.

Agree that is quite possible and eliminates the unappealing "firing the legend" situation. Hopefully the core guys return, new players contribute, staff improves and they claw their way to an NCAA T bid. The thought of the SJU "brain trust" going through another coaching search is headache inducing. :)

That combined with the fact "he is Chris Mullin" is why I figured he would have more rope then he has been given by the people on here.
How about you Paultz, you are one of the more rational people on here. We make NIT next year, he should get more time?

If they contend all year for a bid, knock off some good teams along the way & avoid many blowouts, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't get more time. I always preferred a gym rat type coach v a SJU legend, who never coached, but, considering what he inherited, what's fair is fair.

When it was first being mentioned I was against as well and in fact thought Lavin should be retained. Since he got hired, I have no stomach for another rebuild and since he is Chris Mullin , yes I believe he deserves more time than someone who isn't Chris Mullin. We are ST John's. There are no quick fixes. Shorter time frame for us to be relevant again is if Mullin figures this out in next year or so. IMO
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:36:47 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
We were not only competitive under Lavin but made the tourney a few times(this will not turn into, "we should never of fired lavin) and our best stretch in 20 years. 

Lets give mullin more "time" cause he sucks in 3 years and by your logic, its ok to suck in 3 years, cause we have not been relevant in 26.  Makes a lot of sense.   

I did not look it up. Besides Baylor, what program has sucked for 26 years and was turned around in 3 years? Give me some examples.

« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
Where is PJ Carlesimo nowadays?

« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »

Agree that is quite possible and eliminates the unappealing "firing the legend" situation. Hopefully the core guys return, new players contribute, staff improves and they claw their way to an NCAA T bid. The thought of the SJU "brain trust" going through another coaching search is headache inducing. :)

Wow just think about this statement and go back to his hiring in 2015.  If I would have told this board at that moment that this hire was so good that it would make you forget the underachieving Lavin years by potentially having SJU in the NIT by end of year 4 you would have laughed me off of this board....

I'll stick by my analysis from earlier, he needs to get some momentum this year at some point and then make a QUANTUM leap in year 4.  Or the knives will be out.  How he does it is not my or the fans problem, but his.  This is not a great conference.  There is what 1 coach who seems to be headed to the Hall of Fame.  Sorry it is not that difficult to get to 10 league wins.  Lavin proved that. 

« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »

Wow just think about this statement and go back to his hiring in 2015.  If I would have told this board at that moment that this hire was so good that it would make you forget the underachieving Lavin years by potentially having SJU in the NIT by end of year 4 you would have laughed me off of this board....

I'll stick by my analysis from earlier, he needs to get some momentum this year at some point and then make a QUANTUM leap in year 4.  Or the knives will be out.  How he does it is not my or the fans problem, but his.  This is not a great conference.  There is what 1 coach who seems to be headed to the Hall of Fame.  Sorry it is not that difficult to get to 10 league wins.  Lavin proved that. 

Again  his fault for the roster being the way it is but how is he or anyone really going to win many games with what is left?

Point being this year is lost. Nothing good going to come from it. I do not think you could gleam anything from anything that happens the rest of the year. I am looking forward to the same complaints for the next 13 games. Which is pointless at this point. Hopefully things get turned around next year or we will rebuild with another staff the year after.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:43:38 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »

Again  his fault for the roster being the way it is but how is he or anyone really going to win many games with what is left?

Point being this year is lost. Nothing good going to come from it. I do not think you could gleam anything from anything that happens the rest of the year. I am looking forward to the same complaints for the next 13 games. Which is pointless at this point. Hopefully things get turned around next year or we will rebuild with another staff the year after.

I answered that, that is his problem not mine.   And I didn't give a number.

Furthermore almost anytime a coach fails to do something you can argue "How was he supposed to do that?"

His failures are not an excuse of why he should not do better in the future.  His bigger problem is going to be how he reverses this soon and makes that leap.  He is a big boy he understood the expectations.  He can figure it out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:49:24 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »

Furthermore almost anytime a coach fails to do something you can argue "How was he supposed to do that?"

His failures are not an excuse of why he should not do better in the future.  His bigger problem is going to be how he reverses this soon and makes that leap.  He is a big boy he understood the expectations.  He can figure it out.

That sounds great but then you are basically saying he should be fired after this year.  Which if we were any other BE team besides Depaul I could understand.
Forget the whole he is Chris Mullin thing. The fastest way for us to be decent again is if he figures this out next year. New coach comes in and we are on rebuild time again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:58:38 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
We were not only competitive under Lavin but made the tourney a few times(this will not turn into, "we should never of fired lavin) and our best stretch in 20 years. 

Lets give mullin more "time" cause he sucks in 3 years and by your logic, its ok to suck in 3 years, cause we have not been relevant in 26.  Makes a lot of sense.   

I did not look it up. Besides Baylor, what program has sucked for 26 years and was turned around in 3 years? Give me some examples.

SMU: Last made tournament in 1993.  Then in 2014 made a big run in NIT, and then went to tourney in 2 of 3 years, even with a year in sanctions.  Brown salary 1.9 million when he got job.

Providence had not won a game in NCAA tourney since 1997, right about same time as us.  Then after multiple bad hires, they brought in Cooley and now they have been consistently good.

There are more examples, but these two jumped out at me right away.

« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

That sounds great but then you are basically saying he should be fired after this year.  Which if we were any other BE team besides Depaul I could understand.
Forget the whole he is Chris Mullin thing. The fastest way for us to be decent again is if he figures this out next year. New coach comes in and we are on rebuild time again.

No I'm not you are saying that.  You are assuming it can't be done.

I don't see where it is written anywhere that teams can't have huge bounce back years.  Happens all the time.  Not everyone goes from 15 to 17 to 19 to 21 wins.  Sometimes they go from 12 to 24 wins etc. 

How he does it is up to him.  He said a few days ago it is "going to turn" those were his words not mine.

And let's not act like they are going up against Huggins, Boeheim, Calhoun, Pitino, Brey etc.  This conference has some solid young coaches but it is hardly a murderers row.  Plenty of opportunity to leapfrog in a year.  Especially when the year is your 4th year.

I mean if you are going to ask how this is going to happen then ask how they lost 3 home games in which they were a significant favorite in every one?  How did that happen?  I don't know, the other team scored more points then they did?  How did they lose at home by 17 to DePaul?  DePaul scored 17 more points than they did.  How can they reverse this trend?  Score more opponents then their opponents.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:11:06 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »
WASJU, I can only laugh at your material.  You are the master of fallacies.  Haha!

« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »

No I'm not you are saying that.  You are assuming it can't be done.

I don't see where it is written anywhere that teams can have huge bounce back years.  Happens all the time.  Not everyone goes from 15 to 17 to 19 to 21 wins.  Sometimes they go from 12 to 24 wins etc. 

How he does it is up to him.  He said a few days ago it is "going to turn" those were his words not mine.

And let's not act like they are going up against Huggins, Boeheim, Calhoun, Pitino, Brey etc.  This conference has some solid young coaches but it is hardly a murderers row.  Plenty of opportunity to leapfrog in a year.  Especially when they year is your 4th year.

I mean if you are going to ask how this is going to happen then ask how they lost 3 home games in which they were a significant favorite in every one?  How did that happen?  I don't know, the other team scored more points then they did?  How did they lose at home by 17 to DePaul?  DePaul scored 17 more points than they did.  How can they reverse this trend?  Score more opponents then their opponents.

Again his fault about roster and Lovett is not Marcus Hatten, but losing your 2nd best player, probably best shooter and the trickle down as far as rotation crippled us. Except for 2ND half of Providence and Depaul game the team has played hard. They are just not that good.
My thought is unfortunately you throw this year out because of Lovett injury and he needs to at least make NIT next year. If not I bet he steps down.

« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »

SMU: Last made tournament in 1993.  Then in 2014 made a big run in NIT, and then went to tourney in 2 of 3 years, even with a year in sanctions.  Brown salary 1.9 million when he got job.

Providence had not won a game in NCAA tourney since 1997, right about same time as us.  Then after multiple bad hires, they brought in Cooley and now they have been consistently good.

He also exaggerated the length of sucktitude.  It hasn't been of any consistency, but the program hasn't sucked for 26 years.  Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, and Lavin all enjoyed some form of success.  Whether, it was only one season or more, they all had at least one season of success.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:27:07 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
WASJU, I can only laugh at your material.  You are the master of fallacies.  Haha!

You spelt it incorrectly. I am the master of my Phallus.

But seriously what have I said that is incorrect? Give me an example. Outside of Elite 8 team and what 3 other 1st round loss NCAA teams we have been a disaster. You really think Tim Cluess going to come in and start rattling off Sweet 16's? All I am saying is he should get one more year because that is our best hope. Outside of Jarvis who almost ruined the program our 2nd most successful coach is a guy that we pulled out of TV who everyone mostly hated. Lavin was no slam dunk either.
When Mullin goes we are getting a Cluess or som assitant or mid major coach that no one knows anything about. How long will that guy's honeymoon last.

« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:35 AM »

He also exaggerated the length of sucktitude.  It hasn't been of any consistency, but the program hasn't sucked for 26 years.  Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, and Lavin all enjoyed some form of success.  Whether, it was only one season or more, they had had at least one season of success.

Not at all
Mahoney-One incredible Cain senior year with Louie's leftovers. 2nd round loss. Followed by two absolutely dreadful years.

Fran-1 first round loss-self destructed, was looking to move on and a player told me that if he had lasted much longer there was going to be a full on player revolt.
And I liked Fran

Jarvis-The 2nd most succesful coach of my lifetime. Elite 8 team, two other tourney teams. If he didn't almost kill the program they should have built a statue of him.

Norm-6 straight years of suck.

Lavin -Bookend 1st round losses.

So saying a 1st round NCAA loss is a good year-which I do that is 7 years of good and 19 years of Suck.

« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
My p

He also exaggerated the length of sucktitude.  It hasn't been of any consistency, but the program hasn't sucked for 26 years.  Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, and Lavin all enjoyed some form of success.  Whether, it was only one season or more, they all had at least one season of success.

My point is, there are examples of bad programs who turned it around in shorter time whether its 25 years, or 10 years.  SJU had a chance to build off what Lavin did and instead brought in a guy who is helping university get more from donors so that they can afford to have updated urinal cakes in bathrooms.

« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »

He also exaggerated the length of sucktitude.  It hasn't been of any consistency, but the program hasn't sucked for 26 years.  Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, and Lavin all enjoyed some form of success.  Whether, it was only one season or more, they had had at least one season of success.

Not at all
Mahoney-One incredible Cain senior year with Louie's leftovers. 2nd round loss. Followed by two absolutely dreadful years.

Fran-1 first round loss-self destructed, was looking to move on and a player told me that if he had lasted much longer there was going to be a full on player revolt.
And I liked Fran

Jarvis-The 2nd most succesful coach of my lifetime. Elite 8 team, two other tourney teams. If he didn't almost kill the program they should have built a statue of him.

So saying a 1st round NCAA loss is a good year-which I do that is 7 years of good and 19 years of Suck.

"Success" and "sucking" is subjective, as I do agree Maloney and Fraschilla both had one good season, while Jarvis first two seasons were solid, and seasons he had with Hatten (although, they were both frustrating seasons, but did end with an NCAA Tournament bid and an NIT championship) were had some entertainment and fun (mainly, due to Hatten).  I wasn't too enthralled about our NIT bid seasons with Lavin, as I thought those should've been NCAA tourney teams (if Harrison wasn't suspended then I felt that team would've gone dancing).  We still saw some fun and entertaining teams, and did "dance" twice.

Regardless, the program may have sucked for about 15 or 16 years, but not 19 and certainly not 26.  IMO, you have defeatist attitude and deal in fallacies to back up your cynicism.

« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
My p

My point is, there are examples of bad programs who turned it around in shorter time whether its 25 years, or 10 years.  SJU had a chance to build off what Lavin did and instead brought in a guy who is helping university get more from donors so that they can afford to have updated urinal cakes in bathrooms.

I was in agreement with you in your earlier post.

« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »
gotcha.  I thought so, but had to re read.

« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »

Not at all

And I liked Fran

"Success" and "sucking" is subjective, as I do agree Maloney and Fraschilla both had one good season, while Jarvis first two seasons were solid, and seasons he had with Hatten (although, they were both frustrating seasons, but did end with an NCAA Tournament bid and an NIT championship) were had some entertainment and fun (mainly, due to Hatten).  I wasn't too enthralled about our NIT bid seasons with Lavin, as I thought those should've been NCAA tourney teams (if Harrison wasn't suspended then I felt that team would've gone dancing).  We still saw some fun and entertaining teams, and did "dance" twice.

Regardless, the program may have sucked for about 15 or 16 years, but not 19 and certainly not 26.  IMO, you have defeatist attitude and deal in fallacies to back up your cynicism.

You are confident next hire is the one?
Lavin they could have kept, which I was for but I think it would have ended badly.
6 straight bad hires. What lucky number 7?

TONYD3

« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

Not at all

And I liked Fran

I didn’t hate norm. I thought he tried and did his best. I liked the DJ class. I enjoyed their sophomore and junior years.  Happy to see norm leave. For me that’s 2 more years of not sucking.
Didn’t hate norm - he was given 6 years to rebuild- he never did- if he stayed any longer St. John’s Basketball would have been dead.
New coach- not going to say his name- rebuild over- REBUILD TAKES 1 season- revalant again-
-2 tournaments - should have been more- that’s 5 more years for me of not sucking.

Sucking is this- 1st year- no reason to fire a coach and completely start over- Mullin gets a pass- cupard s And cupboards - cupboards are the reason we lose to incarnate wood- terrible staff- slice- division 1 coach making 2 million can’t break a press by division 2 players- Lovett - Mullin deserves a pass- got absolutely embrassed by Fordham - worst season in school history- Lavin and cupards- Mullin gets a pass- no defense- terrible shot selection

Year 2- cupards and cupboards- German kid comes and leaves, some say he had NBA potential- Amar almost leaves- sima leaves- mussini leaves- Ellison leaves- St. John’s gives up 80 plus a ridiculous amount of times - also gives up 90 plenty- and 100 a few times- we win a few games, which were enjoyable- get absolutely embrassed by nova in big east- that’s sucking- fans overrate one of worst seasons in school history

Year 3- cupards and cupboards- it’s mitch Richmond’s fault- modest staff changes are coming- only year 3 in complete rebuild- over rated weak schedule - over rated defense- Lovett quits- winless through 6 games - will lose #7 tomorrow- St. John’s games irreverent even on Johnny jungle- their is not even a game thread- Mullin gets a pass- cupard’s fault- Rome was not built in a day.
Year 4- new coach and we rebuild- or suck for another year-

Sorry for spelling errors or any other mistakes- I am at a school assembly - just some thoughts
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:58:45 AM by TONYD3 »