Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
We were not only competitive under Lavin but made the tourney a few times(this will not turn into, "we should never of fired lavin) and our best stretch in 20 years. 

Lets give mullin more "time" cause he sucks in 3 years and by your logic, its ok to suck in 3 years, cause we have not been relevant in 26.  Makes a lot of sense.   

I did not look it up. Besides Baylor, what program has sucked for 26 years and was turned around in 3 years? Give me some examples.

SMU: Last made tournament in 1993.  Then in 2014 made a big run in NIT, and then went to tourney in 2 of 3 years, even with a year in sanctions.  Brown salary 1.9 million when he got job.

Providence had not won a game in NCAA tourney since 1997, right about same time as us.  Then after multiple bad hires, they brought in Cooley and now they have been consistently good.

There are more examples, but these two jumped out at me right away.

He also exaggerated the length of sucktitude.  It hasn't been of any consistency, but the program hasn't sucked for 26 years.  Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, and Lavin all enjoyed some form of success.  Whether, it was only one season or more, they had had at least one season of success.

Not at all
Mahoney-One incredible Cain senior year with Louie's leftovers. 2nd round loss. Followed by two absolutely dreadful years.

Fran-1 first round loss-self destructed, was looking to move on and a player told me that if he had lasted much longer there was going to be a full on player revolt.
And I liked Fran

Jarvis-The 2nd most succesful coach of my lifetime. Elite 8 team, two other tourney teams. If he didn't almost kill the program they should have built a statue of him.

Norm-6 straight years of suck.

Lavin -Bookend 1st round losses.

So saying a 1st round NCAA loss is a good year-which I do that is 7 years of good and 19 years of Suck.

"Success" and "sucking" is subjective, as I do agree Maloney and Fraschilla both had one good season, while Jarvis first two seasons were solid, and seasons he had with Hatten (although, they were both frustrating seasons, but did end with an NCAA Tournament bid and an NIT championship) were had some entertainment and fun (mainly, due to Hatten).  I wasn't too enthralled about our NIT bid seasons with Lavin, as I thought those should've been NCAA tourney teams (if Harrison wasn't suspended then I felt that team would've gone dancing).  We still saw some fun and entertaining teams, and did "dance" twice.

Regardless, the program may have sucked for about 15 or 16 years, but not 19 and certainly not 26.  IMO, you have defeatist attitude and deal in fallacies to back up your cynicism.

And not"defeatist", realist. If we were a good program than yes Mullin should probably be fired after the season. W are not that so why not give the best player in program history another year before we start another rebuild? If next year's incoming class is ok and Ponds stays we have a shot at maybe making the tourney. Starting over probably 0 chance of that.

derk

« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »
This is silly . I am done arguing. Either he quits and we start over. Or he comes back and we lose again. Nothing to debate.

No.  Why be such an absolutist?  Why can you just acknowledge this season is toast, relax about it... it's like crying over split milk at this point.... just evaluate the coaching when he's had a full season or two. I would argue for next two seasons.

I get it, one could argue the team should have had more depth this year...but guess what it didn't.   We all deal with disappointment, or not meeting expectations at work, or in life, etc....so it didn't happen this year.  big deal.  Just see what happens with a full roster the next two season.

It's all about the next two years with a full roster. 

Do you not acknowledge the team would have performed better, if the coaches had more players?  I think it would be preposterous to argue that the performance wouldn't have been better.

Maybe Mullin stinks. I don't know. None of us know - because the team so short handed.   
We just have sing that same old song.. wait until next year.

What if he stinks because he’s short handed? The person who left him short handed is responsible. I hope we figure out who did that to Mullin, but we may need help in solving the mystery.

Sunk cost.   Canning him for the bad roster this year is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
You have a full roster on the horizon.

Canning him would guarantee an empty roster next year.
Keeping him gives you a full, or at least we hope, a full balanced roster next year.

Do you not acknowledge that?

I didn’t say he should be canned because he was so arrogant and lazy that the team was left without enough players to field a competitive team.

This is year 3 and we’re destroyed at home vs DePaul. Isn’t this why the University moved on from Lavin after 5 years? If we’re seeing a staff take the summer off now why don’t we move on from them and hire professionals who understand how hard you have to work to win in the BE?

In terms of players leaving if Mullin is canned, I can live with it, but I don’t think that will necessarily happen if the University hires the right consultant group to help them make their decision. Clearly, they are incapable of this kind of thinking on their own.

If they fired the face of the franchise after having fired the last 5 coaches, on what basis would you expect any worthwhile kid to come here.

Foad

« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:45 PM »
If they fired the face of the franchise after having fired the last 5 coaches, on what basis would you expect any worthwhile kid to come here.

What four or five star recruit wouldn't want to come to Jamaica to play for Danny Hurley. I think you're underestimating his cachet.

« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

What four or five star recruit wouldn't want to come to Jamaica to play for Danny Hurley. I think you're underestimating his cachet.

NIT enough for you next year or no?

Foad

« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »

17-14 NIT would be bad but better, 20 -11 NIT would be good but not great. I just want to watch good basketball. I might be a naif but roster shortcomings aside they looked good enough early to be competitive in the league. I don't see the glaring X and O deficiencies others see, I see (a) a system that makes fans uncomfortable and (b) a lack of execution. So if he makes the NIT with his first class of juniors he should get to coach his seniors. Even if he doesn't I don't think they'll ever fire him as long as he continues to recruit at a high level.

« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »

17-14 NIT would be bad but better, 20 -11 NIT would be good but not great. I just want to watch good basketball. I might be a naif but roster shortcomings aside they looked good enough early to be competitive in the league. I don't see the glaring X and O deficiencies others see, I see (a) a system that makes fans uncomfortable and (b) a lack of execution. So if he makes the NIT with his first class of juniors he should get to coach his seniors. Even if he doesn't I don't think they'll ever fire him as long as he continues to recruit at a high level.

More or less my thoughts.
We go 2-16 in BE this year change that a little? 

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »

I'm not suggesting Danny is the answer but his roster at URI is better than SJU.  And I assume with some better funding and better conference he could recruit at an even higher level at SJU, maybe/maybe not.

So to answer your question, the same amount if not more that are going to Kingston, Rhode Island.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »

I'm not suggesting Danny is the answer but his roster at URI is better than SJU.  And I assume with some better funding and better conference he could recruit at an even higher level at SJU, maybe/maybe not.

So to answer your question, the same amount if not more that are going to Kingston, Rhode Island.

His brother also is doing fine recruiting guys to ASU.

« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »

I for one am not sold on the Hurley's but that is neither here nor there.
There also seems to be conflicting reports that Danny would think ST John's as a desirable destination. And even if he did 3 or 4 years ago might not now.
Plus there will be compensation issue.
Hope I am wrong but I see Cluess or some mid major coach. Don't think you can fire Chris Mullin and replace him with an assistant somewhere else.

Foad

« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

Haven't seen them play. RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

Foad

« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »

More or less my thoughts.
We go 2-16 in BE this year change that a little? 

No. I'm assuming they're not going to wina  bunch of games.

« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »

Haven't seen them play. RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

You put this team in A10 w/o Lovett and we are middle of the pack at very least.

goredmen

« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Foad

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »

You put this team in A10 w/o Lovett and we are middle of the pack at very least.

Since 2015 RI has recruited 1 4-star, 4 3-star, a 2-star and 4 no star recruits. They have two 4 star and two 3 star commits. OTOH they have 9 upperclassmen. All of Mullin's players - including 7 four star recruits - have been in the program less than three years. Except stupid Alibeowitz obviously.

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Last years 2nd leading scorer and arguably best player was a Staten Island kid that if Mullin signed the whole board would have been in an uproar.

Foad

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Ponds is one of the better players I've seen watching SJ play for 40 years. If RI had better players then him by a decent margin they should fire Hurley, because he's underachieving.

goredmen

« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

Since 2015 RI has recruited 1 4-star, 4 3-star, a 2-star and 4 no star recruits. They have two 4 star and two 3 star commits. OTOH they have 9 upperclassmen. All of Mullin's players - including 7 four star recruits - have been in the program less than three years. Except stupid Alibeowitz obviously.

Developing players is a wonderful thing isn't it? Maybe we'll figure that out one day.

So either URI has more talent than SJU or Hurley is doing a far superior job with less talent than Mullin is with more talent. Which one is it?

goredmen

« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Ponds is one of the better players I've seen watching SJ play for 40 years. If RI had better players then him by a decent margin they should fire Hurley, because he's underachieving.

Ponds is the best player of the two teams. After him the next 4 or 5 best players belong to URI. They are the clear cut favorite to win the A10 and will be in the NCAA Tournament regardless. I think Hurley is doing just fine

« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »

Developing players is a wonderful thing isn't it? Maybe we'll figure that out one day.

So either URI has more talent than SJU or Hurley is doing a far superior job with less talent than Mullin is with more talent. Which one is it?

Being in an inferior Conference has nothing to do with it in your mind?
Mullin has not done well. But he is in BE not A10 or Northeast Conference.
Cluess has had a lot of success no one wants him. Guys falling in love with the name because of his father and maybe brother as  college player.

Foad

« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

I hate double posting but it occurs to me that we've finally discovered something that makes you happy: Rhode Island's recruiting.