Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

goredmen

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »
If they fired the face of the franchise after having fired the last 5 coaches, on what basis would you expect any worthwhile kid to come here.

What four or five star recruit wouldn't want to come to Jamaica to play for Danny Hurley. I think you're underestimating his cachet.

I'm not suggesting Danny is the answer but his roster at URI is better than SJU.  And I assume with some better funding and better conference he could recruit at an even higher level at SJU, maybe/maybe not.

So to answer your question, the same amount if not more that are going to Kingston, Rhode Island.

Haven't seen them play. RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

You put this team in A10 w/o Lovett and we are middle of the pack at very least.

Since 2015 RI has recruited 1 4-star, 4 3-star, a 2-star and 4 no star recruits. They have two 4 star and two 3 star commits. OTOH they have 9 upperclassmen. All of Mullin's players - including 7 four star recruits - have been in the program less than three years. Except stupid Alibeowitz obviously.

Developing players is a wonderful thing isn't it? Maybe we'll figure that out one day.

So either URI has more talent than SJU or Hurley is doing a far superior job with less talent than Mullin is with more talent. Which one is it?

Being in an inferior Conference has nothing to do with it in your mind?
Mullin has not done well. But he is in BE not A10 or Northeast Conference.
Cluess has had a lot of success no one wants him. Guys falling in love with the name because of his father and maybe brother as  college player.

Correct. The A10 is inferior than the BE but it not the MAAC or NEC. Analytics sites like KenPom adjust their numbers for quality of opponent and all that and Rhode Island is the 34th best team in the country there. SJU is 78th. Nobody that actually watches college basketball would argue this SJU team is better than URI. That was even before the 6 game losing streak

goredmen

« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
If they fired the face of the franchise after having fired the last 5 coaches, on what basis would you expect any worthwhile kid to come here.

What four or five star recruit wouldn't want to come to Jamaica to play for Danny Hurley. I think you're underestimating his cachet.

I'm not suggesting Danny is the answer but his roster at URI is better than SJU.  And I assume with some better funding and better conference he could recruit at an even higher level at SJU, maybe/maybe not.

So to answer your question, the same amount if not more that are going to Kingston, Rhode Island.

Haven't seen them play. RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

Yes. By a decent margin

I hate double posting but it occurs to me that we've finally discovered something that makes you happy: Rhode Island's recruiting.

We'd all kill to have the success URI has enjoyed under Hurley here

Foad

« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Ponds is one of the better players I've seen watching SJ play for 40 years. If RI had better players then him by a decent margin they should fire Hurley, because he's underachieving.

Ponds is the best player of the two teams. After him the next 4 or 5 best players belong to URI. They are the clear cut favorite to win the A10 and will be in the NCAA Tournament regardless. I think Hurley is doing just fine

I don't care who's the favorite in the mighty A 10 or how Hurley's doing. Please name the five players who are better than Simon and Lovett, because I looked at the team stats and nobody's jumping out at me.

« Reply #283 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
Again you guys take one point and then completely blow it out of proportion.

Hurley beat Providence and SHU without Matthews in the lineup.  And Jared Terrell is a better guard than Ponds or Lovett or anyone Chris Mullin has recruited.  And yes right now, I think URI's roster is better than SJU.  I think they could win 10+ games in the BE this year.

Now would he translate that success to SJU and recruit at an even higher level CONSISTENTLY, that is a big question because he would have to.

But obviously that is what happens and is expected when you hire a coach at a slightly lower level.  Fran did not recruit MAAC level players to SJU.  Shaka Smart recruited Mohammad Bamba to Texas, he could not do that at VCU.  Wade is not recruiting the same caliber of players to LSU he did at VCU (see Naz Reid).

I don't have the answer for Danny (he may suck) but his roster right now is better, there is no doubt.  And there is no way he would be 0-6 with that URI roster in the Big East right now, no way.  No way they lose to DePaul or Georgetown.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:02:37 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »

Hurley beat Providence and SHU without Matthews in the lineup.  And Jared Terrell is a better guard than Ponds or Lovett or anyone Chris Mullin has recruited.  And yes right now, I think URI's roster is better than SJU.  I think they could win 10+ games in the BE this year.

Now would he translate that success to SJU and recruit at an even higher level CONSISTENTLY, that is a big question because he would have to.

But obviously that is what happens and is expected when you hire a coach at a slightly lower level.  Fran did not recruit MAAC level players to SJU.  Shaka Smart recruited Mohammad Bamba to Texas, he could not do that at VCU.  Wade is not recruiting the same caliber of players to LSU he did at VCU (see Naz Reid).

I don't have the answer for Danny (he may suck) but his roster right now is better, there is no doubt.  And there is no way he would be 0-6 with that URI roster in the Big East right now, no way.  No way they lose to DePaul or Georgetown.

My only point is it is easier to coach in A10. Would you disagree. URI is better than us. But you put our current roster in A10 and we are significantly better than we are.

And on recruiting point which was valid, is ST John's a more desired destination than URI for recruits?
Mullin might suck. Just not convinced Danny Hurley won't either. And I am not convinced he would come or we would pay him enough to come but one problem at a time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:07:22 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »

You put this team in A10 w/o Lovett and we are middle of the pack at very least.

Since 2015 RI has recruited 1 4-star, 4 3-star, a 2-star and 4 no star recruits. They have two 4 star and two 3 star commits. OTOH they have 9 upperclassmen. All of Mullin's players - including 7 four star recruits - have been in the program less than three years. Except stupid Alibeowitz obviously.

Developing players is a wonderful thing isn't it? Maybe we'll figure that out one day.

So either URI has more talent than SJU or Hurley is doing a far superior job with less talent than Mullin is with more talent. Which one is it?

Hurley's doing a better job with less talent in a worse conference, so what. Nobody's arguing that Mullin's tearing it up.

goredmen

« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Ponds is one of the better players I've seen watching SJ play for 40 years. If RI had better players then him by a decent margin they should fire Hurley, because he's underachieving.

Ponds is the best player of the two teams. After him the next 4 or 5 best players belong to URI. They are the clear cut favorite to win the A10 and will be in the NCAA Tournament regardless. I think Hurley is doing just fine

I don't care who's the favorite in the mighty A 10 or how Hurley's doing. Please name the five players who are better than Simon and Lovett, because I looked at the team stats and nobody's jumping out at me.

EC Matthews, Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett are all better than Simon and don't puss out on their team like Lovett, and could argue that they are all better than him anyway. Jeff Dowtin and Stanford Robinson are better than Mussini/Trimble/Dixon or whatever SJU guard you want to name that played recently, is playing now or will play soon. Andre Berry is a solid big that doesn't get pushed around like Owens does

goredmen

« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »

My only point is it is easier to coach in A10. Would you disagree. URI is better than us. But you put our current roster in A10 and we are significantly better than we are.

And on recruiting point which was valid, is ST John's a more desired destination than URI for recruits?
Mullin might suck. Just not convinced Danny Hurley won't either. And I am not convinced he would come or we would pay him enough to come but one problem at a time.

That's fair, but it also harder to recruit to an A10 program in the middle of Rhode Island than it is to a Big East program in NYC. URI beat Providence and SHU this year, something we probably won't do when given 2 tries

« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

EC Matthews, Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett are all better than Simon and don't puss out on their team like Lovett, and could argue that they are all better than him anyway. Jeff Dowtin and Stanford Robinson are better than Mussini/Trimble/Dixon or whatever SJU guard you want to name that played recently, is playing now or will play soon. Andre Berry is a solid big that doesn't get pushed around like Owens does

Lovett was doing what was best for the Lovett family.
Can't kill him and then bash Chris Mullin and want him fired after 3 years. 

Foad

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Jarvis Garrett averages 7 points and 2 rebounds a game in 25 minutes. Simon averages 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and three steals in 35 minutes. Lovett averaged 15 points and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes. By what metric is he better than those two. Try and work KenPom into it.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »

He also is a solid in game coach, which Mullin is probably in the lowest 10% of in all of college basketball.

Foad

« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

RI's roster is obviously better. Hurley has nine upperclassmen. St John's barely has nine players.

« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

He also is a solid in game coach, which Mullin is probably in the lowest 10% of in all of college basketball.

Not even sure Mullin actually coaches the team but I didn't realize Rhode Island games were on TV so much that you came to this conclusion. He had the one good year at Wagner but his 13-17 season I did not feel like I was watching Gregg Popovich. And I saw a bunch of his games. All relative. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:21:36 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »

RI's roster is obviously better. Hurley has nine upperclassmen. St John's barely has nine players.

Exactly, he has recruited better.  They aren't just better because they are upperclassman.  That's nonsense.  What were they last year, or the year before.  Better rosters for 3 straight years.

But that is not the point. 

I don't know if he would definitely recruit better but I think you combine some success he has had at URI with a better and bigger conference and recruiting budget and I think it is more than plausible.

« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »

I have no idea what that point means because it is irrelevant.  No I don't believe it is easier just proportional.

URI is probably the 4th or 5th best job in the A-10.  SJU is significantly bigger and better.  SJU would be the best job in the A-10 by a mile.  Stop with this stupid nonsense.

goredmen

« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Jarvis Garrett averages 7 points and 2 rebounds a game in 25 minutes. Simon averages 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and three steals in 35 minutes. Lovett averaged 15 points and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes. By what metric is he better than those two. Try and work KenPom into it.

Jarvis Garrett is better at almost every advanced analytic than Simon is.

Jarvis Garrett has an offensive rating of 109. Simon is 100. That's a big difference
Garrett's effective FG% is 54%. Simon's is 48. Huge difference
Garrett has a turnover rate of 18. Simon's is 21.

Simon is a slightly better rebounder and passer than Garrett. Teams actually have to guard Garrett out by the 3 point line though since he can actually make a 3

« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »

I have no idea what that point means because it is irrelevant.  No I don't believe it is easier just proportional.

URI is probably the 4th or 5th best job in the A-10.  SJU is significantly bigger and better.  SJU would be the best job in the A-10 by a mile.  Stop with this stupid nonsense.

Outside of Lavin's first class, who has recruited well here? Fran 18 years ago?
Now if you told me Hurley will be able to recruit smarter than the previous ST John's coaches, I could buy that.

Foad

« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »
Exactly, he has recruited better. 

He hasn't recruited better. He's constructed a better roster. It's not the same thing.

They aren't just better because they are upperclassman.  That's nonsense.  .

Is it? Lou rarely played underclassmen, even good ones.  Lavin made the tournament twice, both time with senior laden rosters. George Mason made the final four run with seven upperclassmen. Does that mean Jim Larranga recruited better than Roy Williams or was he a better coach than Williams. Or did he go six deep with players with three and four years of practice, weights, and system. Experience makes an enormous difference. That's the whole point of college: you study something and become more expert at it as times goes on. That's not to say that every team with seniors wins, but it's a huge advantage unless you recruit the way Calipari does.

« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
If Joe Blow with a 138-100 career record and One NCAA appearance coaching at Wagner and URI was brought up as a possible replacement, no one on here would be happy!

Foad

« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »

Yes. By a decent margin

Jarvis Garrett is better at almost every advanced analytic than Simon is.

Jarvis Garrett has an offensive rating of 109. Simon is 100. That's a big difference
Garrett's effective FG% is 54%. Simon's is 48. Huge difference
Garrett has a turnover rate of 18. Simon's is 21.

Simon is a slightly better rebounder and passer than Garrett. Teams actually have to guard Garrett out by the 3 point line though since he can actually make a 3

Yes, advanced analytics. I could not be less interested in advanced analytics. One players averages 7 points and 2 rebounds a game. The other guy averages 11 points and 7 rebounds. If advanced analytics tell you that player 1 is better than player 2, advanced analytics is lying to you.

I am curious though. The difference between .54 and .48 is .06. On what planet does point oh six comprise "huge." Are we shooting a rocket to the moon? Because outside that I can't think of too many circumstances.