Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

goredmen

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
If Joe Blow with a 138-100 career record and One NCAA appearance coaching at Wagner and URI was brought up as a possible replacement, no one on here would be happy!

Then those people are idiots. 138-100 at those two schools with how bad they were when he got there is actually pretty impressive. Who else do you realistically want that would actually come here? Take a chance on a young hungry guy that has proven he can win. Maybe he'll work out and maybe he won't, but nobody better is coming here.

It's all pointless anyway since Mullin isn't going anywhere anytime soon

goredmen

« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
If they fired the face of the franchise after having fired the last 5 coaches, on what basis would you expect any worthwhile kid to come here.

What four or five star recruit wouldn't want to come to Jamaica to play for Danny Hurley. I think you're underestimating his cachet.

I'm not suggesting Danny is the answer but his roster at URI is better than SJU.  And I assume with some better funding and better conference he could recruit at an even higher level at SJU, maybe/maybe not.

So to answer your question, the same amount if not more that are going to Kingston, Rhode Island.

Haven't seen them play. RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

Yes. By a decent margin

Ponds is one of the better players I've seen watching SJ play for 40 years. If RI had better players then him by a decent margin they should fire Hurley, because he's underachieving.

Ponds is the best player of the two teams. After him the next 4 or 5 best players belong to URI. They are the clear cut favorite to win the A10 and will be in the NCAA Tournament regardless. I think Hurley is doing just fine

I don't care who's the favorite in the mighty A 10 or how Hurley's doing. Please name the five players who are better than Simon and Lovett, because I looked at the team stats and nobody's jumping out at me.

EC Matthews, Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett are all better than Simon and don't puss out on their team like Lovett, and could argue that they are all better than him anyway. Jeff Dowtin and Stanford Robinson are better than Mussini/Trimble/Dixon or whatever SJU guard you want to name that played recently, is playing now or will play soon. Andre Berry is a solid big that doesn't get pushed around like Owens does

Jarvis Garrett averages 7 points and 2 rebounds a game in 25 minutes. Simon averages 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and three steals in 35 minutes. Lovett averaged 15 points and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes. By what metric is he better than those two. Try and work KenPom into it.

Jarvis Garrett is better at almost every advanced analytic than Simon is.

Jarvis Garrett has an offensive rating of 109. Simon is 100. That's a big difference
Garrett's effective FG% is 54%. Simon's is 48. Huge difference
Garrett has a turnover rate of 18. Simon's is 21.

Simon is a slightly better rebounder and passer than Garrett. Teams actually have to guard Garrett out by the 3 point line though since he can actually make a 3

Yes, advanced analytics. I could not be less interested in advanced analytics. One players averages 7 points and 2 rebounds a game. The other guy averages 11 points and 7 rebounds. If advanced analytics tell you that player 1 is better than player 2, advanced analytics is lying to you.

I am curious though. The difference between .54 and .48 is .06. On what planet does point oh six comprise "huge." Are we shooting a rocket to the moon? Because outside that I can't think of too many circumstances.

Just looking at points and rebounds per game to determine who is a better player is probably the stupidest thing one can do. Since Garrett is the 4th best player on his team he's not going to get as many chances to score as the 2nd best player on another team. Simple common sense which apparently you have none of when it comes to basketball

Durand Johnson averaged 12 points a game in his season here. There were probably 100 players averaging 5 points or less per game that year that were better than him
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:47:51 PM by goredmen »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:50 PM »
If Joe Blow with a 138-100 career record and One NCAA appearance coaching at Wagner and URI was brought up as a possible replacement, no one on here would be happy!

Yeah and if Joe Blow was the coach of St. John's and was 32-51 overall and 8-34(!!!) in Big East games I'm sure you'd also be on board with wanting him fired too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:50:44 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
Foad is stat happy which is great because at least one of our fans is happy about something.

Foad

« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »
Just looking at points and rebounds per game to determine who is a better player is probably the stupidest thing one can do. Since Garrett is the 4th best player on his team he's not going to get as many chances to score as the 2nd best player on another team. Simple common sense which apparently you have none of when it comes to basketball

Justin Simon makes 46 shots for every 100 he takes. Jarvis Garret makes 45 of every 100 he takes. Advanced analytics tells us that 45 of 100 is much better than 46 of 100 by a "huge" margin. I don't need common sense to know that's bullshit. I will refrain from calling you stupid though, that would be rude.

« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »
Other than a handful of fans on the internet, next to nobody is calling for Mullin to go.  I doubt there are many, if any at all, influential folks around the program calling for a coaching change.

Realistic expectations heading into this season were 17-19 wins and competing for a bid.  That was with a healthy team and, as many have pointed out, the risk of significant injury came back to bite.  The staff knowingly took on that risk because building a balanced, stable program takes more than 2 recruiting classes.  If we convinced Darien Williams and Malik Ellison to stay, or added a low-major grad transfer big man, perhaps we'd have 2 more wins at this point.

I, too, am underwhelmed by Mullin's coaching this season.  But he is not on the hot seat.  Even if there was a legitimate basis to get rid of him, the university made a substantial financial commitment that is pretty hard to unwind at this stage.  Moreover, does anyone think next year's roster lacks depth and balance?  Keeping Ponds is key, obviously.  Next season, the leap to national relevance must be taken.

By the way, St John's would be a top 3 A10 team right now (KenPom), and Jared Terrell is not better than Ponds or Simon despite being nearly 23 years old.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:03:36 PM by Gray Chudney »

« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
Other than a handful of fans on the internet, next to nobody is calling for Mullin to go.  I doubt there are many, if any at all, influential folks around the program calling for a coaching change.

Realistic expectations heading into this season were 17-19 wins and competing for a bid.  That was with a healthy team and, as many have pointed out, the risk of significant injury came back to bite.  The staff knowingly took on that risk because building a balanced, stable program takes more than 2 recruiting classes.  If we convinced Darien Williams and Malik Ellison to stay, or added a low-major grad transfer big man, perhaps we'd have 2 more wins at this point.

I, too, am underwhelmed by Mullin's coaching this season.  But he is not on the hot seat.  Even if there was a legitimate basis to get rid of him, the university made a substantial financial commitment that is pretty hard to unwind at this stage.  Moreover, does anyone think next year's roster lacks depth and balance?  Keeping Ponds is key, obviously.  Next season, the leap to national relevance must be taken.

By the way, St John's would be a top 3 A10 team right now (KenPom), and Jared Terrell is not better than Ponds or Simon despite being nearly 23 years old.

Correction.  We'd be 4th in the A10 per KenPom. 

« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »

Then those people are idiots. 138-100 at those two schools with how bad they were when he got there is actually pretty impressive. Who else do you realistically want that would actually come here? Take a chance on a young hungry guy that has proven he can win. Maybe he'll work out and maybe he won't, but nobody better is coming here.

It's all pointless anyway since Mullin isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Tim Cluess 169-85 with 4 NCAA's.  I guess he should be front runner.
Heck Bashir Mason who took over for Hurley is 94-72

Foad

« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
By the way, St John's would be a top 3 A10 team right now (KenPom),

Good old KenPom to the rescue. I love that guy.

« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
Please tell me where Ponds is going?  He is not an NBA player, not now, not ever, unless he becomes a legit point guard.  As I stated in an earlier post.  More bodies, does not equal more wins.

« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »
Please tell me where Ponds is going?  He is not an NBA player, not now, not ever, unless he becomes a legit point guard.  As I stated in an earlier post.  More bodies, does not equal more wins.

Marillac and Mase jr are getting very angry

TONYD3

« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:57 PM »
Most agree he picked a bad staff.
No one thinks he can coach.
Plenty of players have transferred.
Almost all agree the players who have been in the program haven’t gotten better- amar yakwe
Why should he come back?

« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »

Outside of a handful of fans on the internet nobody else gives two turds and the influential folks around the program are exactly why the program has basically sucked for a long time.

« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
How can you say that? Isn't the NBA loaded with wispy 6' two guards?

« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
Almost all agree the players who have been in the program haven’t gotten better- amar yakwe
Why should he come back?

Are you talking about Mullin, Lavin, Jarvis or Norm?

« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »

Shooting 18% from college 3.
Marillac'shead just exploded.

Foad

« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »

Fair to say he's better than an 18 percent shooter. I think he spent the summer watching too much Warriors Seth Curry and not enough Davidson Seth Curry.

goredmen

« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Justin Simon makes 46 shots for every 100 he takes. Jarvis Garret makes 45 of every 100 he takes. Advanced analytics tells us that 45 of 100 is much better than 46 of 100 by a "huge" margin. I don't need common sense to know that's bullshit. I will refrain from calling you stupid though, that would be rude.

Lol. Yeah, on those 46 shots Simon makes he will score 94.8 points. On Garrett's 45 makes he will score 107.8 points. Which is better?

I know you're a bit of an old timer and remember basketball before the 3 point line but everybody else seems to have adjusted to it by now and you should too. Let's try some simple math:

Player A and Player B each take 100 shots. Player A only takes 2 pointers and player B only takes 3 pointers.

Player A makes 50 of his 100 shot attempts
Player B makes 35 of his 100 shot attempts

Which player scored more points? The guy that makes 50% of his shots but only takes 2s, or the guy that makes 35% of his shots and only takes 3s? Come on you can do this
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:48:18 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »

Fair to say he's better than an 18 percent shooter. I think he spent the summer watching too much Warriors Seth Curry and not enough Davidson Seth Curry.

Somewhere in between what he is now and what he was last year. Shoots from too far out and lot of moving parts. He actually shoots better off the dribble than set. Has nice touch but needs to simplify.

« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
Why should he come back?
Because it would not benefit the program to fire a guy who is the most famous person associated with the university, recruited a deep and balanced roster beginning next season, is contractually owed millions of dollars, who was brought here in large part to build a sustainable long term product, and who has only been on the job for three years.