Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »
Most agree he picked a bad staff.
No one thinks he can coach.
Plenty of players have transferred.
Almost all agree the players who have been in the program haven’t gotten better- amar yakwe
Why should he come back?
Because it would not benefit the program to fire a guy who is the most famous person associated with the university, recruited a deep and balanced roster beginning next season, is contractually owed millions of dollars, who was brought here in large part to build a sustainable long term product, and who has only been on the job for three years.

Stop making sense!

Foad

« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
Just looking at points and rebounds per game to determine who is a better player is probably the stupidest thing one can do. Since Garrett is the 4th best player on his team he's not going to get as many chances to score as the 2nd best player on another team. Simple common sense which apparently you have none of when it comes to basketball

Justin Simon makes 46 shots for every 100 he takes. Jarvis Garret makes 45 of every 100 he takes. Advanced analytics tells us that 45 of 100 is much better than 46 of 100 by a "huge" margin. I don't need common sense to know that's bullshit. I will refrain from calling you stupid though, that would be rude.

Lol. Yeah, on those 46 shots Simon makes he will score 94.8 points. On Garrett's 45 makes he will score 107.8 points. Which is better?

Did you really laugh out loud or are you a 12 year old girl. Anyway I'll answer your question when you (a) define better, because you just said two posts ago that scoring more points isn't necessarily better than scoring fewer points, in fact you said that that was just about the stupidest thing anyone could think and an indication of a complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball and (b) explain how someone "will score" eight tenths of a point. Because I don't think that's possible.

« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
Please tell me where Ponds is going?  He is not an NBA player, not now, not ever, unless he becomes a legit point guard.  As I stated in an earlier post.  More bodies, does not equal more wins.

Arizona

ras

« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
Almost all agree the players who have been in the program haven’t gotten better- amar yakwe
Why should he come back?
Because it would not benefit the program to fire a guy who is the most famous person associated with the university, recruited a deep and balanced roster beginning next season, is contractually owed millions of dollars, who was brought here in large part to build a sustainable long term product, and who has only been on the job for three years.
That pretty much summarizes things. . Mullin is the face of SJBB. Firing him is bad for optics. He has a contract we can’t afford to buyout. If we can keep our core and our recruits come, we may actually be good next year.  However, if we have an exodus of players like last year, we are going to be in trouble. Especially if Ponds leaves.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:01:06 PM by ras »

Foad

« Reply #324 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
Just looking at points and rebounds per game to determine who is a better player is probably the stupidest thing one can do. Since Garrett is the 4th best player on his team he's not going to get as many chances to score as the 2nd best player on another team. Simple common sense which apparently you have none of when it comes to basketball

Justin Simon makes 46 shots for every 100 he takes. Jarvis Garret makes 45 of every 100 he takes. Advanced analytics tells us that 45 of 100 is much better than 46 of 100 by a "huge" margin. I don't need common sense to know that's bullshit. I will refrain from calling you stupid though, that would be rude.

Lol. Yeah, on those 46 shots Simon makes he will score 94.8 points. On Garrett's 45 makes he will score 107.8 points. Which is better?

I know you're a bit of an old timer and remember basketball before the 3 point line but everybody else seems to have adjusted to it by now and you should too. Let's try some simple math:

Player A and Player B each take 100 shots. Player A only takes 2 pointers and player B only takes 3 pointers.

Player A makes 50 of his 100 shot attempts
Player B makes 35 of his 100 shot attempts

Which player scored more points? The guy that makes 50% of his shots but only takes 2s, or the guy that makes 35% of his shots and only takes 3s? Come on you can do this

Hey stupid. I just consulted my abacus and according to my calculations if one player scores 11 points and one scores 7 the one who scored 11 scored more points. And all the hypothetical analytics in fantasy basketball land won't change that. LOL! EMOTICON! MEME! HASHTAG! APP! TWEET! SNATCHCHAT!

goredmen

« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »

Did you really laugh out loud or are you a 12 year old girl. Anyway I'll answer your question when you (a) define better, because you just said two posts ago that scoring more points isn't necessarily better than scoring fewer points, in fact you said that that was just about the stupidest thing anyone could think and an indication of a complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball and (b) explain how someone "will score" eight tenths of a point. Because I don't think that's possible.

It is called averages. And here's some more math for you and why points per game may not be a good indicator in who the better player is whereas efficiency numbers are.

Again let's say we have two players, Player A and Player B:

Player A takes 20 shots per game, all are 2 pointers. He makes 10 of those shots per game. Assuming he shoots 0 free throws, he is averaging 20 points per game.

Player B takes 10 shots per game, all of them are 3 pointers. He makes 4 of those shots per game. Assuming he shoots 0 free throws, he is averaging 12 points per game.

Now, Player A scores more points per game than Player B and has a high shooting % than Player B. But Player B is more efficient. If Player B takes the same amount of shots as Player A he'd score 4 more points per game.

This isn't very difficult

goredmen

« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »

I know you're a bit of an old timer and remember basketball before the 3 point line but everybody else seems to have adjusted to it by now and you should too. Let's try some simple math:

Player A and Player B each take 100 shots. Player A only takes 2 pointers and player B only takes 3 pointers.

Which player scored more points? The guy that makes 50% of his shots but only takes 2s, or the guy that makes 35% of his shots and only takes 3s? Come on you can do this

Hey stupid. I just consulted my abacus and according to my calculations if one player scores 11 points and one scores 7 the one who scored 11 scored more points. And all the hypothetical analytics in fantasy basketball land won't change that. LOL! EMOTICON! MEME! HASHTAG! APP! TWEET! SNATCHCHAT!

So you would rather have the guy that scores 11 points on 20 shot attempts than the guy that scores 7 points on 5 shot attempts. Ok

« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »
Why should he come back?

That's fine but just a couple of points:

1)You have no idea what is "deep and balanced."  He has on paper a roster next year that you hope will be improved, but you have no idea if they are deep and balanced.  You have no idea if they are even any good quite frankly.

2)I love how the people who literally bashed Norm Roberts from day one are now screaming "Patience, we can't keep changing coaches for everytime we don't get immediate success." (not you but others).  And their phony excuse is "Oh I knew all along Norm was a failure..."  How convenient.

Other than that I agree it is not fair to pull the plug at this point.  My personal point is I am now a skeptic on everything, meaning he does not get the benefit of the doubt on anything.  And that is why I continually knock down the assumptions next year's roster is going to be some magic breakthrough.  I see a lot of talent that will take time to develop and also you and I know roster moves we are not anticipating are inevitable.

« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Please tell me where Ponds is going?  He is not an NBA player, not now, not ever, unless he becomes a legit point guard.  As I stated in an earlier post.  More bodies, does not equal more wins.

Don't believe this one bit.  Kid is taking 25 shots a game, playing 40 minutes a game, to having to sit out and be the 4th best player on a team in 2 years?  Baldi, you can do better than this.

Arizona

« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:54 PM »

Arizona

Look who’s back! Baldi! The insider from Iona!!   :2funny: ;D :2funny:

Foad

« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »

So you would rather have the guy that scores 11 points on 20 shot attempts than the guy that scores 7 points on 5 shot attempts. Ok

No, I'd rather have Ponds and Simon than 2-star recruit Jarvis Garrett. As would anyone else - other than you evidently, being in possession of secret runes that reveal that he's secretly very good - including Danny Hurley.

« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »

No, I'd rather have Ponds and Simon than 2-star recruit Jarvis Garrett. As would anyone else - other than you evidently, being in possession of secret runes that reveal that he's secretly very good - including Danny Hurley.

What was Tariq Owens and Mikey Dixon's ratings when they were recruited?

« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
Why should he come back?

That's fine but just a couple of points:

1)You have no idea what is "deep and balanced."  He has on paper a roster next year that you hope will be improved, but you have no idea if they are deep and balanced.  You have no idea if they are even any good quite frankly.

2)I love how the people who literally bashed Norm Roberts from day one are now screaming "Patience, we can't keep changing coaches for everytime we don't get immediate success." (not you but others).  And their phony excuse is "Oh I knew all along Norm was a failure..."  How convenient.

Other than that I agree it is not fair to pull the plug at this point.  My personal point is I am now a skeptic on everything, meaning he does not get the benefit of the doubt on anything.  And that is why I continually knock down the assumptions next year's roster is going to be some magic breakthrough.  I see a lot of talent that will take time to develop and also you and I know roster moves we are not anticipating are inevitable.

There goes that crazy argument again:"You have no idea what is "deep and balanced.  He has on paper a roster next year that you hope will be improved, but you have no idea if they are deep and balanced.  You have no idea if they are even any good quite frankly."
What are you supposed to base it on then? Who knows if any coach will do better than Mullin? I get people questioning Mullin. I do. My argument is since we don't know if anyone would be better, he should at least be given next year when ON PAPER he will have a better more balanced roster. That seems reasonable to me.

And yes because he is Chris Mullin I think he should be given the benfit of the doubt or 2 less years than a former Queens College coach was given.

goredmen

« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

I said Ponds was the best player on either of those teams, and I don't think it's close really so please don't say I ever said Garrett is better than Ponds.

But I am certainly not the only person that would look at Garrett and Simon as players right now and say Garrett is better. I just hit you with numbers that proved that. What their ranking was as a recruit is completely useless to who they are as a player right now. Luke Maye was a 3 star recruit that walked on at UNC and is now one of the top 10 players in the country.

Maybe Simon will improve tenfold between now and when he's a senior and end up being a much much better player than Garrett is now in his senior year, but the numbers show Garrett is a better player right now even though you have no idea how math works

« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »

Don't believe this one bit.  Kid is taking 25 shots a game, playing 40 minutes a game, to having to sit out and be the 4th best player on a team in 2 years?  Baldi, you can do better than this.

Arizona

Serious question. Do you think he wants to play in the NCAA tournament? Right now he is projected mid 2nd round pick in 2019.  He should help with the local recruiting, God knows it's needed.

TONYD3

« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
Why should he come back?
That pretty much summarizes things. . Mullin is the face of SJBB. Firing him is bad for optics. He has a contract we can’t afford to buyout. If we can keep our core and our recruits come, we may actually be good next year.  However, if we have an exodus of players like last year, we are going to be in trouble. Especially if Ponds leaves.
None of our recuits are worth another year. If everything stays the same with modest changes, then everything stays the same and we continue to lose. We are only 0-6. If you guys are around in a month (not sure I will be) . Beatdowns are coming. 
No ponds- guarantee 10th next year . With ponds still a  very good chance at 10th with modest change.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:50:38 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
I believe almost every kid wants to play in the NCAA tourney.  I say almost, because there are those "one and done" types, that will go to a school, just to be the man or play for a relative- win or lose.  In Ponds case, I absolutely think he wants to be in the tourney, however if he even sniffed first round, I would bet he would take his chances and leave.

Being projected in second round is meaningless unless  you are a SR, and have no other choice, or in a lot of cases, players are who they are.  Ponds is neither, and if he learns to be a PG, that second round projection might mean more than Chad Ford throwing darts at a board and predicting who goes where.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:56:52 PM by rdstr25 »

« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
I believe almost every kid wants to play in the NCAA tourney.  I say almost, because there are those "one and done" types, that will go to a school, just to be the man or play for a relative- win or lose.  In Ponds case, I absolutely think he wants to be in the tourney, however if he even sniffed first round, I would bet he would take his chances and leave.

Being projected in second round is meaningless unless  you are a SR, and have no other choice, or in a lot of cases, players are who they are.  Ponds is neither, and if he learns to be a PG, that second round projection might mean more than Chad Ford throwing darts at a board and predicting who goes where.

This is exactly why I posted a few weeks ago that Ponds needs to be the PG now.  Who is running the point next year? Hopefully it's Ponds

Foad

« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
please don't say I ever said Garrett is better than Ponds.

We have different definitions of "ever"

ME: RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

YOU: Yes. By a decent margin

LOL!

But I am certainly not the only person that would look at Garrett and Simon as players right now and say Garrett is better. I just hit you with numbers that proved that.

Proved is an interesting word. Here are some numbers. Tell me if they prove what they purport to prove.

According to whatever these particular offensive efficiency ratings comprise the following players had better years than Kemba Walker did the year UConn won the national championship:

Jacob Wiley of Eastern Washington
Norris Cole of Cleveland State
Mike Daum of South Dakota State
Artsiom Parakhouski of Radford
Jameel Warney of Stony Brook

Warney's 2016 season at Stony Brook was better than the best years had by any of the following players: Anthony Davis, Frank Kaminsky, Demarcus Cousins, Damian Lillard, Doug McDermott, CJ McCollum, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jimmer Fredette, Jared Sullinger, Evan Turner, and Cody Zeller.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/per-player-season.html

Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?

you have no idea how math works

Oh, I know how it works. You divide the numerosity into the denomination and carry the one and so on. I just don't believe it, not all the time. Because like everything else sometimes it lies.

« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »

This is exactly why I posted a few weeks ago that Ponds needs to be the PG now.  Who is running the point next year? Hopefully it's Ponds

Ur right, he should be a Pg.  He has great court awareness and has a very good basketball IQ.  If lets say there are no defections at years end,  Next years starting 5 on paper, should look like this. 

Ponds PG
Simon Sg
Clarke SF
Owens C
Keita PF

Ponds can still dominate ball, but be able to shoot 15x a game.  Again this is all in theory, because Mullin has to instill an offense that allows Ponds to be scoring option #1 w/out him getting ball at top of key and just shooting from anywhere.