Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

cjfish

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:21:49 PM by cjfish »

goredmen

« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
please don't say I ever said Garrett is better than Ponds.

We have different definitions of "ever"

ME: RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

YOU: Yes. By a decent margin

LOL!

But I am certainly not the only person that would look at Garrett and Simon as players right now and say Garrett is better. I just hit you with numbers that proved that.

Proved is an interesting word. Here are some numbers. Tell me if they prove what they purport to prove.

According to whatever these particular offensive efficiency ratings comprise the following players had better years than Kemba Walker did the year UConn won the national championship:

Jacob Wiley of Eastern Washington
Norris Cole of Cleveland State
Mike Daum of South Dakota State
Artsiom Parakhouski of Radford
Jameel Warney of Stony Brook

Warney's 2016 season at Stony Brook was better than the best years had by any of the following players: Anthony Davis, Frank Kaminsky, Demarcus Cousins, Damian Lillard, Doug McDermott, CJ McCollum, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jimmer Fredette, Jared Sullinger, Evan Turner, and Cody Zeller.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/per-player-season.html

Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?

you have no idea how math works

Oh, I know how it works. You divide the numerosity into the denomination and carry the one and so on. I just don't believe it, not all the time. Because like everything else sometimes it lies.

A) I was saying that URI has better a group of players than those 4 you mentioned. And I stand by that 100%. I would take URI's group of players over the group of Ponds, Simon, Lovett and Owens any day of the week, and so would anybody else that wants to win.

B) Yes, all of those players do have far better efficiency numbers than the all-time greats you mentioned. That would be like me arguing that a guy hitting .320 for the Brooklyn Cyclones is better than a guy hitting .290 for the Mets. URI's strength of schedule is a notch below ours right now, not 10 notches below as Jameel Warney's was compared to Anthony Davis. If you want to argue that Garrett's numbers are only better than Simon's because he's played weaker competition I could see where you're coming from, but I would still disagree.

C) You said Simon is better simply because he averages 11 and 7 compared to Garrett's 7 and 2. Does that mean players like Justin Wright-Foreman of Hofstra and Jordan Howard of Central Arkansas are better players than Shamorie Ponds because they average more points per game than him?

« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
I believe almost every kid wants to play in the NCAA tourney.  I say almost, because there are those "one and done" types, that will go to a school, just to be the man or play for a relative- win or lose.  In Ponds case, I absolutely think he wants to be in the tourney, however if he even sniffed first round, I would bet he would take his chances and leave.

Being projected in second round is meaningless unless  you are a SR, and have no other choice, or in a lot of cases, players are who they are.  Ponds is neither, and if he learns to be a PG, that second round projection might mean more than Chad Ford throwing darts at a board and predicting who goes where.

This is exactly why I posted a few weeks ago that Ponds needs to be the PG now.  Who is running the point next year? Hopefully it's Ponds

Ur right, he should be a Pg.  He has great court awareness and has a very good basketball IQ.  If lets say there are no defections at years end,  Next years starting 5 on paper, should look like this. 

Ponds PG
Simon Sg
Clarke SF
Owens C
Keita PF

Ponds can still dominate ball, but be able to shoot 15x a game.  Again this is all in theory, because Mullin has to instill an offense that allows Ponds to be scoring option #1 w/out him getting ball at top of key and just shooting from anywhere.

NCAA team in your opinion?

« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
No...  The only way we make tourney next year is if some of the frosh make an immediate impact.  I will say this, if Brooks does come here, I think he will be our PF and Keita comes off bench.  If that is the case, and we start the 4 above, with Brooks and then have Dixon and Keita be 6th and 7th man, I believe we do compete for NCAA tourney. 

« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
No...  The only way we make tourney next year is if some of the frosh make an immediate impact.  I will say this, if Brooks does come here, I think he will be our PF and Keita comes off bench.  If that is the case, and we start the 4 above, with Brooks and then have Dixon and Keita be 6th and 7th man, I believe we do compete for NCAA tourney. 

Not disagreeing but we would need everything and everyone to overproduce no?

goredmen

« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »

Not disagreeing but we would need everything and everyone to overproduce no?

The depth by itself would be a huge help. Maybe not enough to get to the tournament but not having Yakwe/Trimble/Amar be the only 3 guys off the bench is a big difference. Also can't rule out bringing in a grad transfer just like you can tell rule out unexpected defections

« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
Statistically, I am not sure there has to be that much more production from our guys individually on the current roster.  Someone(s) has to make up for Lovetts production.  Where there has to be major impact is on the boards, team defense and more efficient scoring. 

« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »
please don't say I ever said Garrett is better than Ponds.

We have different definitions of "ever"

ME: RI has better players than Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Owens?

YOU: Yes. By a decent margin

LOL!

But I am certainly not the only person that would look at Garrett and Simon as players right now and say Garrett is better. I just hit you with numbers that proved that.

Proved is an interesting word. Here are some numbers. Tell me if they prove what they purport to prove.

According to whatever these particular offensive efficiency ratings comprise the following players had better years than Kemba Walker did the year UConn won the national championship:

Jacob Wiley of Eastern Washington
Norris Cole of Cleveland State
Mike Daum of South Dakota State
Artsiom Parakhouski of Radford
Jameel Warney of Stony Brook

Warney's 2016 season at Stony Brook was better than the best years had by any of the following players: Anthony Davis, Frank Kaminsky, Demarcus Cousins, Damian Lillard, Doug McDermott, CJ McCollum, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jimmer Fredette, Jared Sullinger, Evan Turner, and Cody Zeller.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/per-player-season.html

Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?

you have no idea how math works

Oh, I know how it works. You divide the numerosity into the denomination and carry the one and so on. I just don't believe it, not all the time. Because like everything else sometimes it lies.

A great true romance reference and I wonder if anyone noticed

« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:50:35 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

and this information comes from..?

I think it was pretty well known that Hurley made it known he had no interest

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

I think dealing with depression and your brother and best friend almost dying are a little different than what Marcus and family are doing. After being an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley said he would only return to the college game if he could run his own program. Your SHU assistant coach story is bad info. Rhode Island loves him and will do whatever they can to keep him.

I still don’t understand why Mullin took the job. I get ego and the honor of coming back and all that, but coaching can be miserable and he had a pretty sweet deal before all this.

Before he got Rutgers gig. While coaching in HS

What are you talking about?

Hurley was an assistant at Rutgers first and then went to St. Benedict’s.

« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

I think dealing with depression and your brother and best friend almost dying are a little different than what Marcus and family are doing. After being an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley said he would only return to the college game if he could run his own program. Your SHU assistant coach story is bad info. Rhode Island loves him and will do whatever they can to keep him.

I still don’t understand why Mullin took the job. I get ego and the honor of coming back and all that, but coaching can be miserable and he had a pretty sweet deal before all this.

Sorry before Wagner.
And it wasn't something anyone told me it was out there. Think at the time time was even mentioned on these boards.
Don't know if true or not. But I have not heard good things about him.
Which honestly personally I don't care about.
Again just brought it up in defense of people killing Lovett for not showing loyalty but then want Chris Mullin gone after 3 years.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:10:59 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »

Sorry before Wagner.
And it wasn't something anyone told me it was out there. Think at the time time was even mentioned on these boards.
Don't know if true or not. But I have not heard good things about him.
Which honestly personally I don't care about.
Again just brought it up in defense of people killing Lovett for not showing loyalty but then want Chris Mullin gone after 3 years.

Your timeline still doesn’t make sense.

Rutgers, St. Benedict’s, Wagner, Rhode Island

When he left Rutgers, he said he would only come back to college if he got an opportunity as a head coach. He never wanted an assistant job at SHU when he was at St. Benedict’s. He turned down a head coach job (Marist) and at least one on the record assistant job (Pitt) when he was at St. Ben’s. I listen to what his players and coworkers say about him and it’s good. St. Ben’s players joined him at Rhode Island. Players he had at Wagner and Rhode Island have joined his staffs later. If your argument is LoVett-Mullin, what does Hurley have to do with it? Weird thread. Unless Mullin quits, he’s back next year and should be. Year three is when you’d like to see a few more signs of life, though. Fifty to seventy percent of the conference makes the NCAAs. They have to start being a legit part of that conversation.

Foad

« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
B) Yes, all of those players do have far better efficiency numbers than the all-time greats you mentioned. That would be like me arguing that a guy hitting .320 for the Brooklyn Cyclones is better than a guy hitting .290 for the Mets.

LOL no, you have it exactly backwards. You're arguing that a guy who hit .295 and was the MVP for a team that won the World Series is worse than a guy who hit 320 for the Toledo Mud Hens, because numbers.

So to recap: you believe in metrics that prove that Artsiom Parakhouski of Radford was a better basketball player than Kemba Walker in the year that Uconn won the NCAA championship.

This is why even vaguely competently attorneys don't ever let the defendant testify. Because if you let people talk long enough they always talk too much.

Your honor, the persecution rests.

Foad

« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
A great true romance reference and I wonder if anyone noticed

Pearls before swine.

goredmen

« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »
B) Yes, all of those players do have far better efficiency numbers than the all-time greats you mentioned. That would be like me arguing that a guy hitting .320 for the Brooklyn Cyclones is better than a guy hitting .290 for the Mets.

LOL no, you have it exactly backwards. You're arguing that a guy who hit .295 and was the MVP for a team that won the World Series is worse than a guy who hit 320 for the Toledo Mud Hens, because numbers.

So to recap: you believe in metrics that prove that Artsiom Parakhouski of Radford was a better basketball player than Kemba Walker in the year that Uconn won the NCAA championship.

This is why even vaguely competently attorneys don't ever let the defendant testify. Because if you let people talk long enough they always talk too much.

Your honor, the persecution rests.

Keep making up things that I say to further your argument. I can do that too. Since you believe PPG is all that matters why didn't we recruit that kid from Central Arkansas to take Ponds' place since he is averaging 4 more points per game than Ponds?

Anyway, if you believe that the SJU players are far better than the URI players why is URI undeniably a better team than SJU this season? Surely it can't be because Dan Hurley is a better coach than Chris Mullin. Chris Mullin is a hall of fame basketball player and a SJU legend damnit! No way anybody else can be a better coach than him!

« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
If we do not make the NIT next year I would bet he steps down.

Agree that is quite possible and eliminates the unappealing "firing the legend" situation. Hopefully the core guys return, new players contribute, staff improves and they claw their way to an NCAA T bid. The thought of the SJU "brain trust" going through another coaching search is headache inducing. :)

Could not possibly be more headache inducing than reading through the first 18 pages of this thread.

« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
If we do not make the NIT next year I would bet he steps down.

Agree that is quite possible and eliminates the unappealing "firing the legend" situation. Hopefully the core guys return, new players contribute, staff improves and they claw their way to an NCAA T bid. The thought of the SJU "brain trust" going through another coaching search is headache inducing. :)

Could not possibly be more headache inducing than reading through the first 18 pages of this thread.

I started skipping multiple pages at a time and I still got a headache.  Good thing I stopped at one of those new fangled public green plus sign stores for the first time yesterday.  Gonna need it to get over this.  ;)

Marillac

« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »
This is a truly embarrassing thread. Our fans suck. Five weeks ago we were posting threads such as "What I like about this team" and "Best defensive team in the Big East?"

Mullin cannot be properly evaluated until he has a full roster.  That will occur for the first time next season. He will not miss the NIT. He will have a squad that can withstand an injury or two and still win games. Going forward he will takes less chances and I'm sure we'll see a steady supply of transfers ala Simon, Clark, Dixon, and Keita.

« Reply #358 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
Looking forward to nit next year. Should be a banner year for Mullin.

« Reply #359 on: January 16, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
Going forward he will takes less chances and I'm sure we'll see a steady supply of transfers ala Simon, Clark, Dixon, and Keita.

None of us know whether he'll take less chances or not.  Just say, you hope he'll take less chances.