Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

TONYD3

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Are we still sweating Matt A?
Why would he do this? Nothing said was bad

Every ariticle written about this staff, who does the author praise?
I understand you were given this info to pass it along to us. Why would Matt be the source? What was said was untrue?

Seriously?
Yes . He could just leave if he was unhappy. I don’t get it.

And bring his nothingness with him
Ok. Why would he want to put this job in jeopardy? He makes plenty of money.

Because he has another one lined up
Still makes no sense. You don’t want to burn bridges. Especially for no reason. Anyone hiring Matt knows he isn’t a coach.
I am sure guys will be lining up next year to work for this mess. That is part of the 2 year plan.

cjfish

« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »
I'd give my right arm to get paid millions doing a job in sports.

It'd be pretty funny if you gave up your right arm in exchange for getting paid a million dollars for doing a job in sports and the job was golfer.
https://youtu.be/KamCxYGzLjc

One-armed golfers always have good shortgames.  And on occasion two-armed guys go one-armed short game, two I know were cured of the yips using the on-handed method 

How's his short game.

tnice

« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »

Since we're doing the "Baldi asks vague questions implying he knows something he doesnt" routine, I'll play:

Who else, other than Matt, has intimate knowledge of CM's coaching style only isnt in jeopardy of losing their job by spilling to a reporter? Maybe somebody with a bone to pick with CM or the University ? Thats your source.

« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2018, 10:25:54 AM »

Since we're doing the "Baldi asks vague questions implying he knows something he doesnt" routine, I'll play:

Who else, other than Matt, has intimate knowledge of CM's coaching style only isnt in jeopardy of losing their job by spilling to a reporter? Maybe somebody with a bone to pick with CM or the University ? Thats your source.

The source is on the staff. It's obvious

tnice

« Reply #584 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »

The source WAS on the staff. It's obvious

FTFY

« Reply #585 on: January 25, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
Whether you want Mullin to succeed, don't think Mullin will succeed or just want ST john's to be decent next year should answer all question. If we are really bad next year I believe one way or the other it will be Mullin's last year. If we are decent to good maybe we can start to move forward. With Norm I never really got a sense on  when it would finally end. Meaning what exact season would be his put up or shut up year. I think we have reached that point with Mullin so other than those who will always be unhappy I think people just need to be patient one more year. One way or the other.

Marillac

« Reply #586 on: January 25, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Whether you want Mullin to succeed, don't think Mullin will succeed or just want ST john's to be decent next year should answer all question. If we are really bad next year I believe one way or the other it will be Mullin's last year. If we are decent to good maybe we can start to move forward. With Norm I never really got a sense on  when it would finally end. Meaning what exact season would be his put up or shut up year. I think we have reached that point with Mullin so other than those who will always be unhappy I think people just need to be patient one more year. One way or the other.

Honestly it's really not even worth entertaining that we'll be bad next year. Even with the entire current staff and no system change these guys will win 8-10 conference games with the two extra guards and whatever forwards show up. We can even absorb two transfers unless it's Ponds which makes no sense given his pro timeline. You don't fire a coach after a conference wing like that whose best players will be seniors. The roster would all depart and we'd be back to the drawing board.

No way Ponds/Dixon/Simon/Trimble/Willliams/Diakate/Brooks/Keita/Clark/Yakwe/Owens is worse than what we had two years ago. Take away Brooks like you want and a big transfer and we are still so much deeper, experiences, and more complete.

« Reply #587 on: January 25, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
No way Ponds/Dixon/Simon/Trimble/Willliams/Diakate/Brooks/Keita/Clark/Yakwe/Owens is worse than what we had two years ago.

Let's not forget Mr. Roberts.  :)

« Reply #588 on: January 25, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »

Honestly it's really not even worth entertaining that we'll be bad next year. Even with the entire current staff and no system change these guys will win 8-10 conference games with the two extra guards and whatever forwards show up. We can even absorb two transfers unless it's Ponds which makes no sense given his pro timeline. You don't fire a coach after a conference wing like that whose best players will be seniors. The roster would all depart and we'd be back to the drawing board.

No way Ponds/Dixon/Simon/Trimble/Willliams/Diakate/Brooks/Keita/Clark/Yakwe/Owens is worse than what we had two years ago. Take away Brooks like you want and a big transfer and we are still so much deeper, experiences, and more complete.

You have been a fan a long time. You really believe that stuff. We should be better , we couldn't be worse. I want Mullin to succeed but I would not bet the ranch we will. I  think if we get in the 17-18 range it should be thought of as nice improvement and this year an anomaly in the progress we have shown since he took over. But We Are ST John's, so you never know.

« Reply #589 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »

The source WAS on the staff. It's obvious

FTFY

A friend of Matt A  posting here. Nice

« Reply #590 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

You have been a fan a long time. You really believe that stuff. We should be better , we couldn't be worse. I want Mullin to succeed but I would not bet the ranch we will. I  think if we get in the 17-18 range it should be thought of as nice improvement and this year an anomaly in the progress we have shown since he took over. But We Are ST John's, so you never know.
Here is the thing with Marillac and he is the master of crazy predictions in which he will argue to death over making his point. I have to give him credit with his convictions though. It's not like he is one of the guys that is never right. He was pretty much against Norm from day 1 from what I can remember. Lavins last year we hit a bad run in the beginning to mid season and he pretty much was doing a Jim Fassel guarantee arguing we would make the ncaa's and I'm pretty sure he offered to bet another poster and Marillac wouldn't back down and gave his reason. He was right in both circumstances

I'm surely in the not happy camp and am not confident in next year but I can see how next year can work out if everything breaks right which is why I'm not for firing Mullin. But when I read Marillac's posts I dont discard it. His is an opinion even if I dont agree I think it's worth listening to and he very well might end up right

« Reply #591 on: January 25, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »

Here is the thing with Marillac and he is the master of crazy predictions in which he will argue to death over making his point. I have to give him credit with his convictions though. It's not like he is one of the guys that is never right. He was pretty much against Norm from day 1 from what I can remember. Lavins last year we hit a bad run in the beginning to mid season and he pretty much was doing a Jim Fassel guarantee arguing we would make the ncaa's and I'm pretty sure he offered to bet another poster and Marillac wouldn't back down and gave his reason. He was right in both circumstances

I'm surely in the not happy camp and am not confident in next year but I can see how next year can work out if everything breaks right which is why I'm not for firing Mullin. But when I read Marillac's posts I dont discard it. His is an opinion even if I dont agree I think it's worth listening to and he very well might end up right

I called Lavin's first season when some were complaining early, and I believe I called his last season, too. 

Thing is he calls out a lot of stuff, and a lot of it doesn't actually come to fruition.  He or others just never bring it up.  If you say enough shit, then some of it will eventually come to pass.

If there is no significant change(s) to this staff then I expect similar or slightly better results (that is based on Ponds returning, Dixon and Brooks coming in).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:28:45 PM by mjdinkins »

Foad

« Reply #592 on: January 25, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
I called Lavin's first season when some were complaining early, and I believe I called his last season, too. 

Maybe change, your name to, MJK,reskin, I have some spoons. you can, bend, if anyone, doubts, you.

Foad

« Reply #593 on: January 25, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
It's not like he is one of the guys that is never right.

Noting to do with Mariilac specifically but: everyone is right sometimes. You have to be Eddie Mush to be wrong all the time. The more things you predict the more likely you are to be correct. The thing is, nobody mentions all the times they were wrong. Marillac doesn't bring up Navy seal Malik Stith. He doesn't mention Dom Pointer, who he called the worst most wasted scholarship in SJ history. Which is not to call him out. I once predicted that Tomas Jasilionustien would make a serviceable fourth year player. After watching Yawke as a freshman I predicted he was a stone cold stud. He's not and I don't point to that as proof of my bona fides. The guy who thought Xtian Jones would make everyone forget Jakarr Sampson doesn't crow about that.  Everyone makes mistakes and nobody brings up them up and otoh everyone brags about their lucky guesses

I don't know what any of this means except I wish SJU had won two or three games this year instead of none so that we could have reasonably interesting conversations about one of the few sports I care about, as opposed to this relentless woe is me fa ggg otry, which is evidently going continue on for the next nine months.

« Reply #594 on: January 25, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

Noting to do with Mariilac specifically but: everyone is right sometimes. You have to be Eddie Mush to be wrong all the time. The more things you predict the more likely you are to be correct. The thing is, nobody mentions all the times they were wrong. Marillac doesn't bring up Navy seal Malik Stith. He doesn't mention Dom Pointer, who he called the worst most wasted scholarship in SJ history. Which is not to call him out. I once predicted that Tomas Jasilionustien would make a serviceable fourth year player. After watching Yawke as a freshman I predicted he was a stone cold stud. He's not and I don't point to that as proof of my bona fides. The guy who thought Xtian Jones would make everyone forget Jakarr Sampson doesn't crow about that.  Everyone makes mistakes and nobody brings up them up and otoh everyone brags about their lucky guesses

I don't know what any of this means except I wish SJU had won two or three games this year instead of none so that we could have reasonably interesting conversations about one of the few sports I care about, as opposed to this relentless woe is me fa ggg otry, which is evidently going continue on for the next nine months.

Pretty sure Ponds / Steph Curry thing going haunt him at some point

Foad

« Reply #595 on: January 25, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLSyFzk-6g

Poison

« Reply #596 on: January 25, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »

Ponds isn’t healthy.

« Reply #597 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:22 PM »

Ponds isn’t healthy.

Yeah otherwise he would be as good as Steph Curry.

goredmen

« Reply #598 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »

Ponds isn’t healthy.

Neither is anybody that compares Shamorie Ponds to Steph Curry in any way shape or form

« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
I'd give my right arm to get paid millions doing a job in sports.

It'd be pretty funny if you gave up your right arm in exchange for getting paid a million dollars for doing a job in sports and the job was golfer.
https://youtu.be/KamCxYGzLjc

I got beat by two one armed golfers in my day.  One was a scratch golfer before a stroke, so that wasn't so bad.  The other?  I don't want to talk about it.
Could they out drive you?