Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #680 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:59 AM »
Coaches on the hot seat article.... Mullin mentioned toward end

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/02/21/heat-check-part-coaches-hot-seat/

Unless it’s a picture of CM at the sauna then it’s not worth the click.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #681 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »
Coaches on the hot seat article.... Mullin mentioned toward end

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/02/21/heat-check-part-coaches-hot-seat/

Unless it’s a picture of CM at the sauna then it’s not worth the click.

I don't want to see that either.

TONYD3

« Reply #682 on: March 16, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »
Is it time to revisit? Or should we wait for more defectors?

ras

« Reply #683 on: March 16, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
No. We should wait to see how next year pans out.

« Reply #684 on: March 16, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

If you're not being a whining malcontent do you have to make sure you're still breathing?

TONYD3

« Reply #685 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »

If you're not being a whining malcontent do you have to make sure you're still breathing?
I am a little bored.

« Reply #686 on: March 16, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
Mullin Sux.  No other way to put it.  Guy can not coach, recruit or knows how to run a program.  12 wins in conference, 10 defections.  This guy should of been fired this year, but because he is Chris Mullin he will get another year. Unless  he makes major roster moves with players and staff, he will lose again next year.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #687 on: March 16, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
Norm > Mullin. And still people defend him. It's mind boggling. This guy clearly doesn't know how to run a program. I'd fire him now and avoid the inevitable really disappointing season next year. Also who knows maybe Tariq knows something we don't yet like Ponds is also leaving? I know his dad wants his son to play in the tourney and without Ponds we aren't winning double digit games next year. Good call by SJU admin hiring Mullin over Danny Hurley who is the hottest coaching candidate out there, and to top it all off he could go to one of our most hated rivals UConn. One gut punch after the next with this crappy program.

« Reply #688 on: March 16, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
Mullin Sux.  No other way to put it.  Guy can not coach, recruit or knows how to run a program.  12 wins in conference, 10 defections.  This guy should of been fired this year, but because he is Chris Mullin he will get another year. Unless  he makes major roster moves with players and staff, he will lose again next year.

I don't expect any staff changes, unless someone voluntarily leaves.

Losing Owens makes the staff's recruiting more arduous.  Frankly, I don't trust 'em enough to promptly fill the void.

ras

« Reply #689 on: March 16, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »

Losing Owens makes the staff's recruiting more arduous.  Frankly, I don't trust 'em enough to promptly fill the void.
They didn’t fill the void last year. So I can understand your mis trust. Next year is do or die for Mullin. If we have a bad year next year, this thread would be very relevant.

Johnny23

« Reply #690 on: March 16, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »

Definition of insanity. That is really discouraging and most likely not going to end well.

« Reply #691 on: April 02, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
 No idea if CM will turn this thing around or not but this was just posted on Twitter:

3 years is now generally the window coaches get to produce before being canned.

FWIW, John Beilein went 46-53 in his first three seasons at Michigan and reached one NCAA Tournament. Jay Wright went 52-46 at Villanova and failed to reach the tournament each year.

pmg911

« Reply #692 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
No idea if CM will turn this thing around or not but this was just posted on Twitter:

FWIW, John Beilein went 46-53 in his first three seasons at Michigan and reached one NCAA Tournament. Jay Wright went 52-46 at Villanova and failed to reach the tournament each year.

Most guys get 4 years or at least remotely smart AD’s give 4 years. At a minimum it gives a coach a full shot at coaching a roster of players he recruited.

Look at Jay Wright’s record when he took over Hofstra. They were clearly rewarded.

Moose

« Reply #693 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »

I get what you're saying but for every success story who finds himself after three years there are many more who never see the other side of .500
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #694 on: April 02, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »

I get what you're saying but for every success story who finds himself after three years there are many more who never see the other side of .500

Without a doubt. I do believe we may not see the other side of .500.

« Reply #695 on: April 03, 2018, 12:21:46 AM »
True that.  Get out and recruit some quality transfers to get this thing righted next season because Shamorie expecting to have Ponds back as a senior is highly unlikely. 

Willard turned the corner in year 6 at the Hall; he didn't change as a coach, he brought in better players by hiring coaches.  Who knows how they'll be next year now that this current crop has graduated or whether they're going to get dinged for the Whitehead shadiness but the formula is fairly simple for us next season:  get your a** out and recruit 2 more quality players to add to Ponds, Simon, Clark, Keita, Dixon, Williams, etc.

« Reply #696 on: April 03, 2018, 12:32:48 AM »
True that.  Get out and recruit some quality transfers to get this thing righted next season because Shamorie expecting to have Ponds back as a senior is highly unlikely. 

Willard turned the corner in year 6 at the Hall; he didn't change as a coach, he brought in better players by hiring coaches.  Who knows how they'll be next year now that this current crop has graduated or whether they're going to get dinged for the Whitehead shadiness but the formula is fairly simple for us next season:  get your a** out and recruit 2 more quality players to add to Ponds, Simon, Clark, Keita, Dixon, Williams, etc.

Then, they'll have to bust their ass for the '19 class, as well.  I just don't see 'em in it for the long haul, as it entails too much work that they're seemingly not willing to put in to turn this thing around. 

MCNPA

« Reply #697 on: April 03, 2018, 01:07:45 AM »

Then, they'll have to bust their ass for the '19 class, as well.  I just don't see 'em in it for the long haul, as it entails too much work that they're seemingly not willing to put in to turn this thing around. 

Agree MJ, which is damn sad... the fans like us have been in it for decades, and I guarantee I have a harder job making tens of times  less...

« Reply #698 on: April 03, 2018, 01:22:28 AM »
This is the baffling part.  Mullin learning how to be a HC was expected.  But this is a guy whose reputation is built off hard work and uber competitiveness.  And we know he bleeds SJU and wants to turn this around badly.  So why the hell would he be apathetic?  It just doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #699 on: April 03, 2018, 05:01:37 AM »
Really do not understand it as well. Why do we rarely hear of him ever going hard after any of these high school recruits or even transfers? All we ever here is "Matt was in to see so and so yesterday." When recruits who we are recruiting are asked about where St. Johns stands its usually that they speak to matt or that we have 2 hall of fame coaches. They never mention a relationship they have with those hall of fame coaches. Paultz do you have any insight to this at all, or is what is being written true, that Mullin is not really working hard at recruiting? It is beyond frustrating.