Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #700 on: April 03, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
The only recruit he has appeared to really put time and effort into over the last 6 months has been Brown and we know that was a pipe dream. I don't know obviously what he does day to day, but if he was more active I'm sure it would have been reported.

It is laziness...how else are we suppose to view this?

paultzman

« Reply #701 on: April 03, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
Really do not understand it as well. Why do we rarely hear of him ever going hard after any of these high school recruits or even transfers? All we ever here is "Matt was in to see so and so yesterday." When recruits who we are recruiting are asked about where St. Johns stands its usually that they speak to matt or that we have 2 hall of fame coaches. They never mention a relationship they have with those hall of fame coaches. Paultz do you have any insight to this at all, or is what is being written true, that Mullin is not really working hard at recruiting? It is beyond frustrating.
As noted often, we have a one recruiter model for most part. Too dependent on one guy and unrealistic  work load in my opinion. Can’t say with certainty what CM does, but if he is the closer & planning, coordinating the efforts of two guys that seems fine
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:42:39 AM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #702 on: April 03, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »
Really do not understand it as well. Why do we rarely hear of him ever going hard after any of these high school recruits or even transfers? All we ever here is "Matt was in to see so and so yesterday." When recruits who we are recruiting are asked about where St. Johns stands its usually that they speak to matt or that we have 2 hall of fame coaches. They never mention a relationship they have with those hall of fame coaches. Paultz do you have any insight to this at all, or is what is being written true, that Mullin is not really working hard at recruiting? It is beyond frustrating.
As noted often, we have a one recruiter model for most part. Too dependent on one guy and unrealistic  work load in my opinion. Can’t say with certainty what CM does, but if he is the closer & planning, coordinating the efforts of two guys that seems fine
This guy has already collected 6 million. When will the kid gloves be taken off? If he doesn’t want the job, once again he should quit. If he wants the job, do it right. Richmond needs to go. A real coach has to be hired. Our head coach has to quadruple his efforts. One guy can’t recuit. 4 coaches are getting paid.

« Reply #703 on: April 03, 2018, 10:18:55 AM »
This is the baffling part.  Mullin learning how to be a HC was expected.  But this is a guy whose reputation is built off hard work and uber competitiveness.  And we know he bleeds SJU and wants to turn this around badly.  So why the hell would he be apathetic?  It just doesn't make any sense.

I agree.

« Reply #704 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
This guy has already collected 6 million. When will the kid gloves be taken off? If he doesn’t want the job, once again he should quit. If he wants the job, do it right. Richmond needs to go. A real coach has to be hired. Our head coach has to quadruple his efforts. One guy can’t recuit. 4 coaches are getting paid.

I am on a roll predicting things. Won office NCAA bracket pool. Had Nova beating Michigan which was easy but I also had Loyola making it to Sweet 16. Also won my top Gun NCAA pool.
I bring this up because I predict we win 22 games next year and lose 8/9 game. Then Mullin will resign and ride off into the sunset having made the exact number of NCAA tourney's in his first 4 years that Lavin did. But I really hope the last part does not come true. Your constant Pet Detective"laces out Dan" rantings used to annoy me. But now it actually brings me happiness that you are so distraught. So I am rooting that I am wrong on this prediction and Mullin gets a lifetime extension. Unless of course you promise that you will only give Will Brown a year before you start crying about him to quit?

SJUFAN

« Reply #705 on: April 03, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
This is the baffling part.  Mullin learning how to be a HC was expected.  But this is a guy whose reputation is built off hard work and uber competitiveness.  And we know he bleeds SJU and wants to turn this around badly.  So why the hell would he be apathetic?  It just doesn't make any sense.

I agree.

It's arrogance. He knows he needs to get good players and it appears he is relying on name recognition alone. It's not working. He and Richmond need to use their name and go out there and build relationships. 

TONYD3

« Reply #706 on: April 03, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »

I am on a roll predicting things. Won office NCAA bracket pool. Had Nova beating Michigan which was easy but I also had Loyola making it to Sweet 16. Also won my top Gun NCAA pool.
I bring this up because I predict we win 22 games next year and lose 8/9 game. Then Mullin will resign and ride off into the sunset having made the exact number of NCAA tourney's in his first 4 years that Lavin did. But I really hope the last part does not come true. Your constant Pet Detective"laces out Dan" rantings used to annoy me. But now it actually brings me happiness that you are so distraught. So I am rooting that I am wrong on this prediction and Mullin gets a lifetime extension. Unless of course you promise that you will only give Will Brown a year before you start crying about him to quit?
You think I am distraught. Maybe a few years ago. I knew bringing up quit would get you going. Still that is what he should do. 22 wins with this roster? Great prediction dick vitale. Maybe he will win  22 in year 4 and 5 combined. You are right, because of nitwits like you a life time contract is still possible.

« Reply #707 on: April 03, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »

You think I am distraught. Maybe a few years ago. I knew bringing up quit would get you going. Still that is what he should do. 22 wins with this roster? Great prediction dick vitale. Maybe he will win  22 in year 4 and 5 combined. You are right, because of nitwits like you a life time contract is still possible.

Ponds comes back they make the tourney.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #708 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »

I highly doubt it.

« Reply #709 on: April 03, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »

I highly doubt it.

I guess you will be disappointed. Don't worry the year after we will probably stink. That should cheer you up

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #710 on: April 03, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

I highly doubt it.

I guess you will be disappointed. Don't worry the year after we will probably stink. That should cheer you up

You're right I'll be disappointed when we stink again because our coach was too lazy to recruit 2 grad transfer bigs because he has to make his appearances at Warriors games.

« Reply #711 on: April 03, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »

I highly doubt it.

You're right I'll be disappointed when we stink again because our coach was too lazy to recruit 2 grad transfer bigs because he has to make his appearances at Warriors games.

What is more realistic? Guy whose whole life is built around working hard came back to the place that helped make him and suddenly decided to stop working. OR it is hard for anyone to recruit here legally and both him and everyone's favorite midget recruiting plan is not sound? 2nd choice might not make you feel better but it is the correct choice.

« Reply #712 on: April 03, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
we are sju-even if we accept your second choice than he still sucks as a coach (and I'm not saying he does I'm saying your premise says so) because he has a recruiting plan that you say is not working and he sticks to it. As they say doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #713 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »

I highly doubt it.

What is more realistic? Guy whose whole life is built around working hard came back to the place that helped make him and suddenly decided to stop working. OR it is hard for anyone to recruit here legally and both him and everyone's favorite midget recruiting plan is not sound? 2nd choice might not make you feel better but it is the correct choice.

I wouldn't even be mad if you heard that he was out at different HS gyms and AAU games every week. But he just seems apathetic. It's one thing to not be able to recruit its a whole other thing not to try at all.

« Reply #714 on: April 03, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
we are sju-even if we accept your second choice than he still sucks as a coach (and I'm not saying he does I'm saying your premise says so) because he has a recruiting plan that you say is not working and he sticks to it. As they say doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

I think it is hard for anyone to recruit here. Outside of Lavin's first class no one has been able to recruit consistently since Fran and he was only here 2 years.  I think it is also extremely hard for someone of Mullin's stature to deal with all of the nonsense and ass kissing of kids and delusional parents. That is where the Slice / Matt team was supposed to take over. That failure should fall on Mullin.  As is the dependence on Matt to recruit transfer players.

ST John's needs to embrace a dirty word around here mid major. Not move into a mid major but recruit like one. Recruit 3 star 6-3 to 6-6 kids that can shoot the three. Mix in a 4 star and transfer kid here and there that fit your system. But bread and butter should be three star kids that can shoot.

SJUFAN

« Reply #715 on: April 03, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »

I think it is hard for anyone to recruit here. Outside of Lavin's first class no one has been able to recruit consistently since Fran and he was only here 2 years.  I think it is also extremely hard for someone of Mullin's stature to deal with all of the nonsense and ass kissing of kids and delusional parents. That is where the Slice / Matt team was supposed to take over. That failure should fall on Mullin.  As is the dependence on Matt to recruit transfer players.

ST John's needs to embrace a dirty word around here mid major. Not move into a mid major but recruit like one. Recruit 3 star 6-3 to 6-6 kids that can shoot the three. Mix in a 4 star and transfer kid here and there that fit your system. But bread and butter should be three star kids that can shoot.

The other issue is player development. I'm not sure if its Mullin and/or Richmond who is responsible for that. 

Foad

« Reply #716 on: April 03, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »

Good point, that was a critical two hours.

« Reply #717 on: April 03, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »

The other issue is player development. I'm not sure if its Mullin and/or Richmond who is responsible for that. 

Mullin's biggest failure last year was not being able to convince Lovett not to be a dick.

Foad

« Reply #718 on: April 03, 2018, 04:27:48 PM »

You post the same thing over and over. What does that say about you.

Marillac

« Reply #719 on: April 03, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »

You need to take a break to get your mind straight. Between your knocking of our All-American Ponds to drivel about mid-majors, you are losing it.

We aren't setup to recruit the kids you described. Our talent pool consists of kids from or near big cities who are athletic and play fast. We aren't in Wisconsin or Nebraska like Marquette and Creighton. We don't have amazing academics like Georgetown. We need to be creative to get transfers and land a star or two like Ponds.

How can you love Simon so much and then turn around and say we need to recruit skilled shooters?! Simon is the antithesis of what you just described. He is the antithesis of the Villanova player.