Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #740 on: April 11, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
I wonder who our next coach will be. It's becoming fairly obvious Mullin won't last past next year. He didn't even show up to Femi's visit because he was probably too busy playing HORSE with coach Mitch. The writing is on the wall, and I can't wait until he steps away. It may not solve all the problems currently at SJU, but I'd at least rather have a coach who actually cares about the program, and does his job. He obviously could care less about his job, and he sucks at it.

It was my belief that if he did not bring on another assistant this year, that he was going to ride out his contract and leave no matter what or walk away sooner. He has shown in 3 years, he can not recruit, coach, or know how to build a program, and he is not even getting better at any of them.  This offseason is looking all too similar to last offseason, where staff is scrambling to find players to fill big holes.  Losing TO was probably unexpected, (maybe) but this staff needed another big no matter what.  Now that TO is gone, they need 2 bigs, who are not just serviceable, but impact players. 

pmg911

« Reply #741 on: April 11, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
I wonder who our next coach will be. It's becoming fairly obvious Mullin won't last past next year. He didn't even show up to Femi's visit because he was probably too busy playing HORSE with coach Mitch. The writing is on the wall, and I can't wait until he steps away. It may not solve all the problems currently at SJU, but I'd at least rather have a coach who actually cares about the program, and does his job. He obviously could care less about his job, and he sucks at it.

It was my belief that if he did not bring on another assistant this year, that he was going to ride out his contract and leave no matter what or walk away sooner. He has shown in 3 years, he can not recruit, coach, or know how to build a program, and he is not even getting better at any of them.  This offseason is looking all too similar to last offseason, where staff is scrambling to find players to fill big holes.  Losing TO was probably unexpected, (maybe) but this staff needed another big no matter what.  Now that TO is gone, they need 2 bigs, who are not just serviceable, but impact players. 

I am so tired of this nonsense...

This team was massively improved to start the year but you say the coach has not gotten better. The season went south when Lovett got hurt, that is it.

Last year, all people complained about (rightfully) was the defense, and the team comes out and plays the first 12 games as one of the best defensive teams in the country.

You think the coaching didn't get any better..? A weak coach/staff would not have an 0 - 11 team playing as hard as St. John's did. Injuries are something every coach deals with and adjust to but the Lovett injury was just too much for this group to get over quickly. If they had a full roster and flopped in league play, all of these criticisms would be on point but now it has just become noise.

I am in massive agreement that the staff needs a more experienced voice on the bench but to say the coaching has not improved overall shows a lack of understanding of the game.

« Reply #742 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
Biggest concern is who the potential successor will be. The new president has a reputation of being a cost cutter. I was surprised he opened the checkbook for Mullin and crew.  If that ends up being an epic failure I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the cheap route of hiring an up and coming coach next time. Not saying that can't be successful but I think the chances are higher for failure then breaking the bank for an experienced guy with a track record. I don't think our program can afford another bad hire.

« Reply #743 on: April 11, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
I wonder who our next coach will be.

Don't wonder too long you may get a headache.

BTW I wonder what I may eat for dinner tonight.  I try to keep my mind on simpler things.

Johnny23

« Reply #744 on: April 11, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »
Biggest concern is who the potential successor will be. The new president has a reputation of being a cost cutter. I was surprised he opened the checkbook for Mullin and crew.  If that ends up being an epic failure I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the cheap route of hiring an up and coming coach next time. Not saying that can't be successful but I think the chances are higher for failure then breaking the bank for an experienced guy with a track record. I don't think our program can afford another bad hire.

You want to know the beauty of bringing in an up and coming HC? It can't get any worse than it currently is today. He'll be cheaper and hungrier as well.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #745 on: April 11, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »

This team was massively improved to start the year but you say the coach has not gotten better. The season went south when Lovett got hurt, that is it.

Last year, all people complained about (rightfully) was the defense, and the team comes out and plays the first 12 games as one of the best defensive teams in the country.

You think the coaching didn't get any better..? A weak coach/staff would not have an 0 - 11 team playing as hard as St. John's did. Injuries are something every coach deals with and adjust to but the Lovett injury was just too much for this group to get over quickly. If they had a full roster and flopped in league play, all of these criticisms would be on point but now it has just become noise.

I am in massive agreement that the staff needs a more experienced voice on the bench but to say the coaching has not improved overall shows a lack of understanding of the game.

A good coach/staff wouldn't have been 0-11 to begin with so they wouldn't have that problem.

pmg911

« Reply #746 on: April 11, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »

You want to know the beauty of bringing in an up and coming HC? It can't get any worse than it currently is today. He'll be cheaper and hungrier as well.

How did that work out with Norm Roberts..?

Johnny23

« Reply #747 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »

Last place, 9th place and last place. There is no argument for keeping Chris Mullin. Also you want to lower the bar on Mullin by comparing him to a name that no one in college basketball circles has ever heard of? Talk about devaluing a legend.

pmg911

« Reply #748 on: April 11, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »

Last place, 9th place and last place. There is no argument for keeping Chris Mullin. Also you want to lower the bar on Mullin by comparing him to a name that no one in college basketball circles has ever heard of? Talk about devaluing a legend.

I never compared Coach Mullin to anyone.

YOU brought up hiring an up & coming coach, the last time St. John's did that it was a train wreck...

Chris Mullin is a legend as a player, not a coach. Three years doesn't make or break anyone as a HC...  time will only tell where Coach Mullins ends up as a coach

Tha Kid

« Reply #749 on: April 11, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »

YOU brought up hiring an up & coming coach, the last time St. John's did that it was a train wreck...

Chris Mullin is a legend as a player, not a coach. Three years doesn't make or break anyone as a HC...  time will only tell where Coach Mullins ends up as a coach

Right on the money PMG.

We have the worst fans in the world.  The team was much better to start the year and then Lovett got hurt.   We then improved significantly to end the season.  It is blatantly obvious Coach Mullin has been improving.  Will he improve enough through next year to see Ponds in the big dance? Time will tell. 

This line of thinking needs to end.  Coach is here for minimum two more years. If we still haven’t made a tourney then maybe we will move on but we are still a ways away.
"I drink and I know things"

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #750 on: April 11, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »

Right on the money PMG.

We have the worst fans in the world.  The team was much better to start the year and then Lovett got hurt.   We then improved significantly to end the season.  It is blatantly obvious Coach Mullin has been improving.  Will he improve enough through next year to see Ponds in the big dance? Time will tell. 

This line of thinking needs to end.  Coach is here for minimum two more years. If we still haven’t made a tourney then maybe we will move on but we are still a ways away.

There is no way he will be here for another 2 years unless he makes the tourney next year, and that's looking less likely everyday. I don't get how people can't see the writing on the wall. We're recruiting football players nowadays. Every big recruit we were supposed to be in with in 2018 didn't even consider us, and the same thing is happening with the 2019 class, and with transfers. Where is your beloved Coach Mullin? No where to be found. He's checked out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:42:05 PM by thetruth8734 »

goredmen

« Reply #751 on: April 11, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »

To be fair, Norm was not considered an "up and coming" head coach. The guy hadn't been a head coach for 10 years before he got SJU and that was at Queens College when he went 24-84.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #752 on: April 11, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »

SJU President is cutting but he is also refocusing  funds. SJU dumped millions of dollars on their business school. He also investing money into the SJUBB, because he knows that SJU is a basketball school. Mullin is/supposed to be the link to bring in more money. He’s also a basketball fan. It will be interesting what happens if things continue to look bad and unravel.

Even Braziller mention, how SJU fans frustration our understandable today. Pressure will first be quietly applied and will escalate.
Cougar O' Malley

MCNPA

« Reply #753 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »
“Mullin is/supposed to be the link to bring in more money. He’s also a basketball fan. It will be interesting what happens if things continue to look bad and unravel. “

See!  This right here!  SJU looking for money before getting good.  They hire Mullin to bring money in from boosters while we stink instead of making the right move.  95% of usnhere would have chose Danny Hurley during last hire.  We pass him over totally for Mullin for the appeal to boosters instead of hiring a coach.  This foolish.  Our athletic department and President know zero about making good hires.  We consistently go out and make dopey moves.  UConn dumps their head coach Ollie who was also a dopey move(that NC was Calhoun’s team and he was involved all the way through).   They hire Hurley which was an excellent one I believe.  We never get it right.  Maybe one day we make a good basketball hire who knows both basketball and recruiting and can coach it before trying to bring in dollars at the front end and just pissing it away...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:32:10 PM by MCNPA »

Johnny23

« Reply #754 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »

Mullin is a train wreck and nothing he has done as head coach says otherwise.

Johnny23

« Reply #755 on: April 11, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
“Mullin is/supposed to be the link to bring in more money. He’s also a basketball fan. It will be interesting what happens if things continue to look bad and unravel. “

See!  This right here!  SJU looking for money before getting good.  They hire Mullin to bring money in from boosters while we stink instead of making the right move.  95% of usnhere would have chose Danny Hurley during last hire.  We pass him over totally for Mullin for the appeal to boosters instead of hiring a coach.  This foolish.  Our athletic department and President know zero about making good hires.  We consistently go out and make dopey moves.  UConn dumps their head coach Ollie who was also a dopey move(that NC was Calhoun’s team and he was involved all the way through).   They hire Hurley which was an excellent one I believe.  We never get it right.  Maybe one day we make a good basketball hire who knows both basketball and recruiting and can coach it before trying to bring in dollars at the front end and just pissing it away...

Small time operation. That's why SJU basketball is the mess that is. Think small and get small results and that's what has happened in Queens from the admin to the coaching staff. I will say it again. Even if we did make the tourney next year which is looking more and more like a longshot with each passing day, the following year would be back to starting from scratch. The way Mullin has tried to build this program isn't sustainable, it's for instant gratification like when you beat Duke and Nova yet you are still in last place in your conference. Fool's gold! Not a foundation but a house on 4 wheels.

Poison

« Reply #756 on: April 11, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
Mullin's failures aren't as a game coach. The team despite only having 6/7 players for most of the season was competitive in all but 3 or 4 games. The problem is his management of the program. It's as if he doesn't realize that this is his program. It's certainly reasonable to forgive some transfers because that's the game today. No one wants to wait their turn, and everyone thinks they deserve major minutes despite whether they've earned them or not.

But lack of PT isn't the case with most of the players who are leaving. Owens would have played. Probably would have started. He decided not to. Why? What has he recognized in this staff that has him on a plane to Texas?

What concerns me the most isn't even the chances taken on Zach Brown and Sid Wilson. It's the fact that so many players simply don't want to play for Mullin. What's the problem? Why are so many players jumping ship? Sima, Ellison, Yakwe, LoVett and Owens should be forming a strong senior core heading into next season. On paper, each player's reason for leaving is different, but the commonality cannot be ignored anymore.

Foad

« Reply #757 on: April 11, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
Mullin's failures aren't as a game coach. The team despite only having 6/7 players for most of the season was competitive in all but 3 or 4 games. The problem is his management of the program. It's as if he doesn't realize that this is his program. It's certainly reasonable to forgive some transfers because that's the game today. No one wants to wait their turn, and everyone thinks they deserve major minutes despite whether they've earned them or not.

But lack of PT isn't the case with most of the players who are leaving. Owens would have played. Probably would have started. He decided not to. Why? What has he recognized in this staff that has him on a plane to Texas?

What concerns me the most isn't even the chances taken on Zach Brown and Sid Wilson. It's the fact that so many players simply don't want to play for Mullin. What's the problem? Why are so many players jumping ship? Sima, Ellison, Yakwe, LoVett and Owens should be forming a strong senior core heading into next season. On paper, each player's reason for leaving is different, but the commonality cannot be ignored anymore.

I don't disagree with the first half of this. I don't even disagree with the second half except:

Of the players who've left, which one's have made wise decisions that flattered their characters and or furthered their careers? Sima transferred mid season to sit out a year and played half a season at OK State, where he averaged 3 point a game, which he's now left. Ellison transferred to the worst program in D1, sat out a year and now has to play for a decimated program - as opposed to being an integral piece at SJU. Lovett quit on his team mates and ruined a basketball season for them and the fans and the university, for purely selfish reasons. That does not reflect well on him even if it works out. Owens left because he thinks - or his delusional father thinks - that he should be the focal point of the offense, despite being a haphazard shooter with no handle and no post game. And I note that under other circumstances some posters might describe him as a sissy who left the bright lights of NYC for some backwater in Trump country. Sid Wilson went to a team in the midst of an NCAA investigation. Moses Zach Brown's going to end up dead or in prison. The only departures that makes sense to me are Yawke - because he's been for whatever reason buried - and the two euros who went home to play for money.

It may be that they've all transferred because they doubt Mullin can help them develop as basketball players, although their are players - more talented players - who've flourished under Mullin: Ponds, Clarke and Simon. It could be that they're just teenage members of the stupidest generation with partially developed brains who transferred for nonsensical reasons having to do with the instant gratification everyone gets a gold star environment in which they were raised. It could be that staff had to take chance on players of questionable character because of the state of the cupard when he they got here and that backfired. It could be all of that or none. What I question is drawing conclusions about Mullin's tenure from their departures, singularly or collectively. Because not too many of them seem to have done what's best for themselves or their careers.

« Reply #758 on: April 11, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »

I am not going to spend time talking about my understanding of the game, especially since I am around knowledgeable folks who have played or are coaching at the highest of levels right now.  The common agreement is that this staff is completely clueless and not suited to succeed at the div 1 level. 

Your basis on the staff improving, was that they started out the first 12 games with one of the best defenses in country.  Really?  The best win was against Nebraska at home.  A team that won over 20 games and still was a 5 seed in the NIT.   SJU played 7 games with Lovett, and the only team that was good was Mizzouri and SJU gave up 92 points and allowed them to shoot 51% from 3.  Improvement?  Lets look at the big east season.  They lose 11 in a row, with some of the worst late game adjustments I have seen in a while, lack of ability to stop team from big runs late in game, and allow teams to make a high % of 3 pointers.  Lovett was a big loss, no doubt, but a 11 game losing streak?  Creighton lost one of their best players, did they lose 11 in a row?  Where is the improvement??? You are telling me, that the loss of Lovett would of taken a good staff 11 games to figure out how to get over the hump?  Fast forward to games 12-18 in conference.  SJU gets big wins against Nova and Marq, and then when Ponds is not being Superman, the team goes 1-4 over last 5.   You say they improved over course of season because the team played hard, well that is not what matters.  Wins and losses does, and from my point of view against teams who meant something on schedule, I see 0-1 w/ Lovett and 4-15 w/out.

« Reply #759 on: April 11, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

Three years  doesn't, but could you atleast try recruiting, or made the effort to be on campus last Sunday, when a grad transfer big was on campus.     He wasn't and Femi said screw Mullin.
It all starts with recruitinf Pmg.    Should be a simply thing to understand for Mullin, but I guess not.