1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison

• 44 replies
Re: 1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
If you stop the two best players on most teams, they are going to struggle.  It will be difficult for any team to contain both Ponds and Herron unless they have horrific games.  They are too versatile, too smart and to multi-faceted in how they can score.  On top of that, focusing on those guys should open up things for LJ, Simon, Clark and Dixon.  We need Clark to get back to how he played the second half of the BE schedule.  He was an excellent three point shooter and started making plays driving to the hoop.  I think he has that in him.  You add that dimension plus Simon's ability to score in the paint/open floor, Dixon's shooting and LJ's all around game and you could have a dangerous offensive team.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
Heron could have played on that team, that’s about it.   

Man, you make some crazy statements. 

There haven't been many, if any, college basketball teams anywhere anytime that Ponds couldn't earn minutes on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:16:24 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 12:33:15 AM »
The 99-00 team would have destroyed this team. They were both mentally and physically tough. They were battle tested. This team try’s to play too finesse. Heron could have played on that team, that’s about it. Right now he’s our best interior defender. 

If you don't think Ponds could have led that team in scoring by a lot then I don't know what to say.

I'm not going to make any proclamations about this team because they haven't been good yet, but I think they have a higher ceiling than that 99-00 team.

The 99-00 team had 8 scholarship players and couldn't even field a competitive 5 v 5 in practice. This squad should be forged in fire after Steere arrives with all the talent and size they compete with in practice.

But you're right that there is something to being battle tested and knowing how to win...that inertia.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »
As a freshman he was part of a big freshman class that Fran brought in with Artest, Felton, Crooks, Thornton and a big man named Ed Brown who like many big men, never even made it to campus.

He held his own, but his PT was limited because we had a lot of guys that season.

The next couple of years he was very good, but as a senior, he was really bad. You’re right. He lost his shit in a bad loss to GW and he never got it together after that. The entire 00-01 Johnnies team wasted Omar Cook’s tremendous season.

Ed Brown played 25 games over a couple years but by 99-00 he had transferred to URI.  Not sure what big you're thinking of.  At first I thought it was Tom Bayne but he was before Big Ed.  Felton was pretty big? 

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
Found it, I think.  The 5th member of that class was Milos Dumic, who did play 5 games frosh year then disappeared.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
Ed Brown played 25 games over a couple years but by 99-00 he had transferred to URI.  Not sure what big you're thinking of.  At first I thought it was Tom Bayne but he was before Big Ed.  Felton was pretty big? 

I’m actually thinking of a different guy. Maybe Ernest Brown. Could be wrong.

I believe the guy you’re talking about is Ed “The Rebound” Brown.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:45:10 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
Man, you make some crazy statements. 

There haven't been many, if any, college basketball teams anywhere anytime that Ponds couldn't earn minutes on.

Of course he would have earned minutes on the team. But when you think about Ponds your not thinking physical toughness from a defensive perspective. That team would get after you, every single one.

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
If you don't think Ponds could have led that team in scoring by a lot then I don't know what to say.

I'm not going to make any proclamations about this team because they haven't been good yet, but I think they have a higher ceiling than that 99-00 team.

The 99-00 team had 8 scholarship players and couldn't even field a competitive 5 v 5 in practice. This squad should be forged in fire after Steere arrives with all the talent and size they compete with in practice.

But you're right that there is something to being battle tested and knowing how to win...that inertia.

LOL is that all y’all think about is scoring? Yeah Ponds could have lead that team in scoring. You know each of the teams that Ponds has played on at SJU has averaged more points per game than the 99-2000 team. In fact, they are the highest scoring teams since the new millennium. I didn’t go back further than that. Yet their record hasn’t been good enough to even make the NIT. Why? They don’t play good defense.

After Keita, our best interior defender is our starting shoot guard. Think about that. Not our forwards, not our backup big, but our shooting guard. That 99-2000 team finished 3rd in the old BE. We won the BE tournament in the old BE, we were a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament and you believe this team has a higher ceiling??? So what are your expectations of the team this year?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:50:56 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 02:58:04 AM »
Of course he would have earned minutes on the team. But when you think about Ponds your not thinking physical toughness from a defensive perspective. That team would get after you, every single one.

This is what you wrote:

"Heron could have played on that team, that’s about it." After I pointed out how ridiculous this is you write; "Of course he would have earned minutes on the team." referring to Ponds.

Which is it?

Facts matter and loose fingers sink ships. You don't even believe what you write, right?

Poison

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
LOL is that all y’all think about is scoring? Yeah Ponds could have lead that team in scoring. You know each of the teams that Ponds has played on at SJU has averaged more points per game than the 99-2000 team. In fact, they are the highest scoring teams since the new millennium. I didn’t go back further than that. Yet their record hasn’t been good enough to even make the NIT. Why? They don’t play good defense.

After Keita, our best interior defender is our starting shoot guard. Think about that. Not our forwards, not our backup big, but our shooting guard. That 99-2000 team finished 3rd in the old BE. We won the BE tournament in the old BE, we were a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament and you believe this team has a higher ceiling??? So what are your expectations of the team this year?

That is true. They don’t play much defense. But really what I see is a team that turns it on when they feel like it. It’s not a focused team like the one Jarvis coached in 2000. There is a much greater emphasis on individual achievements.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:50:14 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 08:56:51 AM »
I’m actually thinking of a different guy. Maybe Ernest Brown. Could be wrong.

I believe the guy you’re talking about is Ed “The Rebound” Brown.

Found it. It was Ernest Brown.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/17/sports/high-school-basketball-report.html

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »

Have you read my posts before? Marillac is synonymous with rebounding, defense, and toughness. I don't think Jarvis gets enough credit for that, and I watched every Alumni Hall practice as a student.

That written, those teams had a clear lack of scoring and only Barkley could create. Ponds would have been a hero on that team and I'm sure Jarvis would have hand him playing tougher defense.

Ponds is a steal machine and he is an exceptional rebounder. His steals don't come from taking chances and jumping passing lanes...it's usually stripping players.

Ponds may not be Barkley on defense but he's not Dwight Hardy either.

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
This is what you wrote:

"Heron could have played on that team, that’s about it." After I pointed out how ridiculous this is you write; "Of course he would have earned minutes on the team." referring to Ponds.

Which is it?

Facts matter and loose fingers sink ships. You don't even believe what you write, right?

I’m well aware of what I said and I stand by it. It wasn’t meant to state that Ponds isn’t talented enough. I’m referring to the makeup of the team which started with defense first. The 99-2000 team all played with a physical toughness that Ponds doesn’t play with, stating that doesn’t diminish Ponds overall talent.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
I’m well aware of what I said and I stand by it. It wasn’t meant to state that Ponds isn’t talented enough. I’m referring to the makeup of the team which started with defense first. The 99-2000 team all played with a physical toughness that Ponds doesn’t play with, stating that doesn’t diminish Ponds overall talent.

I think you are underestimating balance. That team would not fundamentally change adding a player like Ponds. They would just become harder to guard and harder to beat. Nobody ever accused Reggie Jessie of being a great defender--he wasn't. His awareness was very low. He couldn't anticipate or see the floor 1/5th as well as Ponds.
That was also the rare Jarvis team to play a ton of zone. They stayed in zone for entire games. Ponds would thrive in a zone.

SJUFAN

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
Have you read my posts before? Marillac is synonymous with rebounding, defense, and toughness. I don't think Jarvis gets enough credit for that, and I watched every Alumni Hall practice as a student.

That written, those teams had a clear lack of scoring and only Barkley could create. Ponds would have been a hero on that team and I'm sure Jarvis would have hand him playing tougher defense.

Ponds is a steal machine and he is an exceptional rebounder. His steals don't come from taking chances and jumping passing lanes...it's usually stripping players.

Ponds may not be Barkley on defense but he's not Dwight Hardy either.

Yes that team had a lack of scoring, still managed to finish 3rd in the BE, win the BE tournament, and secure a 2 seed in the NCAA. Mullins teams with Ponds have been high scoring but nothing to show for it but loses. The key to success is playing defense and that has been proven. This team has the ability, they have the athletes, they don’t have the direction. You said this current team has a higher ceiling than that one but didn’t answer my question. What are your expectations for the team this year?

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Yes that team had a lack of scoring, still managed to finish 3rd in the BE, win the BE tournament, and secure a 2 seed in the NCAA. Mullins teams with Ponds have been high scoring but nothing to show for it but loses. The key to success is playing defense and that has been proven. This team has the ability, they have the athletes, they don’t have the direction. You said this current team has a higher ceiling than that one but didn’t answer my question. What are your expectations for the team this year?

I believe that was the worst the Big East was this century and probably the worst single season of all-time. Two teams were ranked out of 13 just weeks before the tournament. Nobody made it past the sweet 16. We almost lost to Northern Arizona round one. We received the benefit of the doubt all year based on 98-99. We were ranked top 20 to start the year and fell out of the rankings until the very end. We got a very gracious two seed that this team wouldn't get with the same record/metrics.

Still, they had two NBA players. I think Ponds and Heron will have better NBA careers than Barkley and Heron. 

If you want to say that team had the benefit of knowing how to win from 98-99, I won't disagree with that. I think that is a very real thing in college basketball. It's one reason why I think next season could be better for us than 2018-19 if Heron returns.

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
I believe that was the worst the Big East was this century and probably the worst single season of all-time. Two teams were ranked out of 13 just weeks before the tournament. Nobody made it past the sweet 16. We almost lost to Northern Arizona round one. We received the benefit of the doubt all year based on 98-99. We were ranked top 20 to start the year and fell out of the rankings until the very end. We got a very gracious two seed that this team wouldn't get with the same record/metrics.

Still, they had two NBA players. I think Ponds and Heron will have better NBA careers than Barkley and Heron. 

If you want to say that team had the benefit of knowing how to win from 98-99, I won't disagree with that. I think that is a very real thing in college basketball. It's one reason why I think next season could be better for us than 2018-19 if Heron returns.

Next year will be better without Ponds? If Ponds and Heron returns and we add Precious and a defensive minded coach we could have a special year.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
If Ponds and Heron returns and we add Precious and a defensive minded coach we could have a special year.

We could be having a special year this year. If so, you're missing it.

LoganK

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
If Ponds and Heron returns and we add Precious and a defensive minded coach we could have a special year.
I know "We Are..." but can we at least wait until we're not undefeated before we decide this is a lost season?

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
Next year will be better without Ponds? If Ponds and Heron returns and we add Precious and a defensive minded coach we could have a special year.

It's not uncommon for teams that return a solid core to actually be better after losing a star player. I don't know why that is...maybe it's playing with and practicing against such a talent makes the rest of the guys better?

I agree with Foad, though, we might be in the midst of special season and you and others are not taking it in. There will be some ulgy moments coming up and some tough losses to learn from. It's the only possible way a team can go from 4-14 in conference to being more than just good.