Mike Anderson to come next coach?!?

• 41 replies
Mike Anderson to come next coach?!?
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
Very strong chance this deal is done. Hewitt wanted too much money for assistant coaches. Andy Borman likely to be first assistant coach (Duke grad)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

Re: Mike Anderson to come next coach?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
Very strong chance this deal is done. Hewitt wanted too much money for assistant coaches. Andy Borman likely to be first assistant coach (Duke grad)
What about his long time assistant Melvin Watson?  Is he part of the package?

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
Seems like a decent hire.  Players coach that likes fast paced basketball.  Hopefully it’s true
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
Could have ended much worse.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »
I am a huge Mike Anderson fan and I am just going to tell you he is one of the top coaches in the Country but the main reason he hasn’t got it done lately is because he will not associate with slick AAU coaches and it has cost him multiple really good players. He is the cleanest coach in the country, and you should except 20-25 wins every year, and maybe even an elite eight every 5 to 10 years

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »
At the moment he will inherit Ian Steere; Josh Roberts; Marcellus Earlington; David Caraher; Greg Williams, Mustafa Heron; Eli Wright; Seedee Kieta ... and hopefully Figueroa back … wonder if  Manuel comes back ... No PGs though ... not a bad nucleus!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »
All things considered this is an amazing hire. Frankly shocking. Give me 40 Minutes of Hell in Carnesecca and MSG all day long.

Borman, Hsu, Davis, Munch, Jay David, a few of these guys to surround Anderson and we can start building back.

Anderson should get on the phone with Borman and Hsu first. See if you can land Hsu and get LJ to come back. LJ would do wonders in this style of coaching

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:04 AM »
Good hire, shocking but still a good hire. Glad we did not hire a mid-major and be forced to deal with a massive rebuild with 2 and 3 stars until he finds his bearing in the Big East. Here, we have a chance to win sooner. Anderson has had successful career with NCAA tournament appearances at power conference programs, is respected and has a national profile.

People need to to stop this oh they have to be from NY and have the ties. If he has one good assistant from here with the "NY" ties that is fine. Balance the staff- the best NY players in many cases prep elsewhere anyway. We need national, not local and if local studs come great but by no means is it necessary.

Also- as I think about it, the Repole interview may have forced hand so that is a good thing. Once he realized SJU was not listening to his input he had to go scorched earth and it worked- I was wrong thought initially he had more influence but I guess not. He needed to do this to shake them up.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
I don’t mind this compared to how disastrous James Jones would have been. 40 minutes of hell should work with NYC area players.

The fact that our last four coaching interviews were all black tells you that Cragg and those two idiots thought they could shield themselves from further criticism going that route. Easy virtue.

What a mess we have. The Gimp and his lap dog Oliva need to be pressured until they resign or are terminated.

Next time some idiot utters the words “fire the coach,” remember these last two weeks. It will only be worse with each future firing — and that goes for the whole league.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »
Boys it’s official! Let’s go Mike! You got a new St. John’s fan in me, I seen y’all lost to Providence twice and mike just freaking killed them in NIT with all freshman. Should do really well in the Big East.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
1pm Press Conference in MSG

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »
Boys it’s official! Let’s go Mike! You got a new St. John’s fan in me, I seen y’all lost to Providence twice and mike just freaking killed them in NIT with all freshman. Should do really well in the Big East.

I respect the hell out of Cooley but I could really enjoy paying him back for the beating he’s given us. I’m sure he’s not excited about the direction SJU decided to go.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
As a Mizzou fan I am very happy to see Mike Anderson land on his feet (and to no longer have to see him in the SEC). As people have mentioned he is an odd fit geographically. He has only really lived and coached in Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. He is a genuinely good guy although some Mizzou fans had some hard feelings when he left but that is fairly typical.

Two of his assistants (Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland) where with him at Mizzou and Cleveland who is Mike's nephew was also with him at UAB. His third assistant at Arkansas was Scotty Thurman who played at Arkansas back when Mike was an assistant. All of these guys have very little experience outside of the South. He is going to need a Northeast guy or two on staff to get him situated.

He was always good to the media when he was in Columbia but he isn't particularly colorful or entertaining. He is similar with boosters. I just don't really get the impression that schmoozing is his thing. I feel similarly about recruiting. Having a good staff around him will be essential. I think he will win, probably not at the top level of the Big East but he will be solid at worst. He won't embarrass you or represent you in a bad way. Good man.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
This was a complete sh*t show but somehow we got a good coach out of it.

My two recollections of Anderson were being really impressed by his UAB team one year and then watching them play SH a few years ago in the tournament. He always seems to have a really athletic big forward to crash the glass.

I had this to say on JJ while watching his Arkansas team bear SH in the tournament:

“Desi just got denied at the rim with the most violent block I've ever seen live. Holy sh*t! Arkanasas and Seton Hall both look incredible.”

I am pleased with this hire. I hope that he brings some of his guys with him.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
Did any Arkansas players enter the transfer portal when Anderson was fired?

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »
1pm Press Conference in MSG

I'll be there at 1:15, gotta finish up my lunch. 

sju89tr

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »

You are an idiot

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:40 PM »
Will be the press conference be covered on TV? which channel?

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
Did any Arkansas players enter the transfer portal when Anderson was fired?

Keyshawn Embery-Simpson just transferred to Tulsa.  He's seeking a waiver to play immediately. If he hasn't signed a LOI he could turn around and follow Andeson tomorrow. I don't know if that is something he'd want...he averaged 4 mpg as a freshman last season.  He was a 4* guard from IMG Academy. 

Arkansas has a ton of young talent.  From a quick look, I don't see any grad-transfer eligible players.  8-10 in the SEC with such a young roster doesn't seem like a fireable offense to me.  But they good a great replacement in Musselman so it could work out well for them.

I think LJ, Heron, Williams, and Roberts fit extremely well in his system. Steere could probably be okay as well.  Roberts should be doing backflips over this hire.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »

Get lost. This is NYC...you won't find any support for your views here.