Mike Anderson to come next coach?!?

• 41 replies
Re: Mike Anderson to come next coach?!?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Both that transferred already have a new home and the other players were devastated as you could tell by their tweets but I think Mussleman has won their favor over to stay, Gabe Osuabohien might be one to come as he is from Canada

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 01:06:05 PM »
Both that transferred already have a new home and the other players were devastated as you could tell by their tweets but I think Mussleman has won their favor over to stay, Gabe Osuabohien might be one to come as he is from Canada

Who was the other transfer out?

wpc77

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »

Any chance that Isaiah Joe comes with Anderson? I know his family is very close with Anderson.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
"I know other coaches get up in the press conference and say they are going to play fast and with energy, but we are going to pick them up as soon as they get off the bus. We are going to guard and defend for 40 minutes."

I love hearing that. That type of style is very easy to rebuild with.  You never do THAT bad with it as evidenced by his lack of losing seasons in his career.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
Who was the other transfer out?

Jordan Phillips left the team about midway through the season but not sure he landed anywhere yet

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »
As a Mizzou fan I am very happy to see Mike Anderson land on his feet (and to no longer have to see him in the SEC). As people have mentioned he is an odd fit geographically. He has only really lived and coached in Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. He is a genuinely good guy although some Mizzou fans had some hard feelings when he left but that is fairly typical.

Two of his assistants (Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland) where with him at Mizzou and Cleveland who is Mike's nephew was also with him at UAB. His third assistant at Arkansas was Scotty Thurman who played at Arkansas back when Mike was an assistant. All of these guys have very little experience outside of the South. He is going to need a Northeast guy or two on staff to get him situated.

He was always good to the media when he was in Columbia but he isn't particularly colorful or entertaining. He is similar with boosters. I just don't really get the impression that schmoozing is his thing. I feel similarly about recruiting. Having a good staff around him will be essential. I think he will win, probably not at the top level of the Big East but he will be solid at worst. He won't embarrass you or represent you in a bad way. Good man.

A lot of what is said above is why I don't think it's a good fit. If people were upset by Mullin's lack of presence at functions then they are going to be very disappointed in Anderson.

Culturally there is a large difference between South and New York City life.

I know you don't need NY specific ties to win in NY but you do need relationships and hooks into north east in order to compete for guys that PC, Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier, etc are going after. To be in top half of SEC is a lot different than Big East.

For the past 37 years he's been recruiting in the same pool and that isn't NY. He's never recruited outside of 100 miles of where he's been for exception of Canada.

I don't doubt he's a solid coach but all the extras make me very concerned. I don't think he sees a 2nd contract from the school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »
On another note. He's our coach, I hope I'm wrong, and I'm pulling for his success.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
Welcome to New York City Coach. Being honest every local high school, AAU and college/university program hates your employer for the petty politics manner in which they filled your job. No one hates you yet, but if I were you I’d stay away from Looie. He’s the sad old fossil who used to coach here. He should be in some old age home. Thinks he’s running the basketball program. And he was and is. Right into the ground.

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
A lot of what is said above is why I don't think it's a good fit. If people were upset by Mullin's lack of presence at functions then they are going to be very disappointed in Anderson.

I know you don't need NY specific ties to win in NY but you do need relationships and hooks into north east in order to compete for guys that PC, Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier, etc are going after. To be in top half of SEC is a lot different than Big East.

For the past 37 years he's been recruiting in the same pool and that isn't NY. He's never recruited outside of 100 miles of where he's been for exception of Canada.

I don't doubt he's a solid coach but all the extras make me very concerned. I don't think he sees a 2nd contract from the school.

Do you think James Jones or Paul Hewitt would have been better options?

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »

He came into NY and got Kareem Reid years back.  He also had a kid from Canada, a kid from IMG in Florida, a kid from NC, and a kid from Illinois on his roster last year.

I am not dismissing your concern at all, but it sounds like he won't be a recruiting dynamo and will rely on his assistants.  IMO, Hsu will make or break his staff.  Borman won't be enough.  Cleveland seems like a lock to come with him since it's his nephew, but HSU has to finish off the staff.  He will need transfers to succeed here and build a roster deep enough to run 40 minutes of hell.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »
Great to see Wright, Heron, and Figgy behind the coach on stage tonight! That's a nice little core when you add Williams, Roberts, Steere, and Caraher. Perhaps Trimble can be talked back to the roster as well.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:58:42 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
Two comments that I love:

"We are going to pick them up as soon as they get off the bus."  That one just sticks.

"A lot of these professors have a lot of degrees -- more degrees than a thermometer -- but nobody is going to outwork me."

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »

He said all the right things at today’s press conference. It’s about relationships, he understands that. If he develops relationships within a 100 miles and focus on close proximity and let his assistants focus on further out, he will be just fine.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 01:57:28 PM »
"In the beginning it might be 30 minutes of hell and 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

After his wife just corrected him that their nephew Damarre Carrol plays for the Brookly Nets and not the New Jersey Nets:  "You all just met my wife.  She's my point guard.  She points out every damn thing I do wrong!"

He's got me.  Let's see if he can keep me.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
Great to see Wright, Heron, and Figgy behind the coach on stage tonight! That's a nice little core when you add Williams, Roberts, Steere, and Caraher. Perhaps Trimble can be talked back to the roster as well.

Let's not forget our next starting PF Earlington ...

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
Let's not forget our next starting PF Earlington ...

Hopefully we can upgrade from Trimble and Earlington.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Jordan Phillips went to UT Arlington, look for Anderson to go after JUCO’s and a Grad Transfer this year. And it says Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland will stay on his staff, not sure if that is a good thing.

Gumby

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

Dave, one of the biggest hits with both Lavin and Mullin was they did not establish links with the HS and AAU Programs in the NY area. Mullin only had Ponds as a major NYC direct recruit. Pretty bad for a NYC icon!  So can Coach Anderson do any worst?  He might even improve those connections.