5 Predictions for the 19-20 season

• 58 replies

Poison

5 Predictions for the 19-20 season
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
1. LJ Figueroa will be a 1st team All Big East player

2. We will lose a non conference game to a low level D1 team in November (Not including our loss to UVM by 20)

3. We will play our best basketball end of Feb, early March

4. We will begin by playing inconsistent defense, but it will improve

5. Nick Rutherford is a pleasant surprise in helping to run the offense and setting the tone on defense

What are yours?

QuanMan

Re: 5 Predictions for the 19-20 season
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
1) The team will steadily improve month by month. Early hiccups, but when in peak condition, the full court press will be fun to watch.

2) Josh Roberts and Greg Williams both have breakout years.

3) LJF and MH each average above 15 ppg.

4) Champagnie is our glue guy, a player type who has been on Hall for years.

5) We finish 6th in the conference, despite early struggles, bubble conversation and gradual improvement. We're in for a stressful Fall, fun Winter.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
Steere will be the powerful, athletic true big we have needed for so long.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
1. Williams Jr averages 10ppg.
2. Dunn becomes our glue guy. Has a real good impact on both ends.
3.  The defensive scheme, along with conditioning, keeps us in more games longer.
4.  Heron doesn't make that final great leap forward. Too many charges, can't get in the flow and stay on the court.
5.  Careher is with us for a single year, has Fruedenberg type impact.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:03:19 PM by porterbrown »

Foad

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
1. Despite a cupcake OOC schedule in which he goes ~ 9-6 Coach Third Choice suffers his first losing season ever and SJ finishes in the bottom half of the conference and refuses a CBI bid
3. Late first round draft pick LJ Figueroa leads the team in scoring and rebounding
2. Marcellus Earlington opens some eyes
4. Despite being wildly popular my stupid blog once again loses money, intercourse you cheap bastards
5. My predictions are wrong and out of order
6. This is a good song that I didn't write or cover
7. There is no number six

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWdug1HiCg

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
1. Wednesday March 11th we all get a good nights rest because we finish in 6th place.

2. Greg Williams and Roberts become solid big east players.

3. The finesse big east hates playing against 40 minutes of hell.

4. LJ and Herron are all big east players.

5. We upset Virginia in Connecticut

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
1) The team will steadily improve month by month. Early hiccups, but when in peak condition, the full court press will be fun to watch.

2) Josh Roberts and Greg Williams both have breakout years.

3) LJF and MH each average above 15 ppg.

4) Champagnie is our glue guy, a player type who has been on Hall for years.

5) We finish 6th in the conference, despite early struggles, bubble conversation and gradual improvement. We're in for a stressful Fall, fun Winter.

Agree on Roberts. Liked what I saw in minimal minutes last year

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Agree on Roberts. Liked what I saw in minimal minutes last year
Roberts and Williams are The keys to the season. If they are good. We are good.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
Roberts and Williams are The keys to the season. If they are good. We are good.

So the key to coach third choice's success next season hinges not upon whether he's a good coach but upon whether players recruited and trained by the former staff - which staff sucked - "are good." And then presumably if they're not good the former staff sucked to the detriment of the current staff unless they don't which proves that the current staff is good.

Thanks for the hot take sling blade. Speaking of hot, I'd like some of those hot fried taters, hmm mm.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
I predict all my fantasy football teams suck. Wait wrong prediction thread

I predict season ticket prices go higher
I predict attendance will be lower overall
I predict we outperform and finish 6th
I predict people will see a lot more potential in Earlington by end of season than a lot of us ( including me ) thought
I predict the school in an effort to save on food cooking costs decides to just let the meat for the storm burgers cook in the upper deck of Carnesecca naturally from the intense heat and it works
I predict in a month I wont remember any of these predictions and have entirely new set of predictions

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:02:25 AM »
1. Despite a cupcake OOC schedule in which he goes ~ 9-6 Coach Third Choice suffers his first losing season ever and SJ finishes in the bottom half of the conference and refuses a CBI bid
3. Late first round draft pick LJ Figueroa leads the team in scoring and rebounding
2. Marcellus Earlington opens some eyes
4. Despite being wildly popular my stupid blog once again loses money, intercourse you cheap bastards
5. My predictions are wrong and out of order
6. This is a good song that I didn't write or cover
7. There is no number six

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWdug1HiCg

Just got back from the Who jones beach.  No British ska covers but a fun, nostalgic stroll down memory lane.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
So the key to coach third choice's success next season hinges not upon whether he's a good coach but upon whether players recruited and trained by the former staff - which staff sucked - "are good." And then presumably if they're not good the former staff sucked to the detriment of the current staff unless they don't which proves that the current staff is good.

Thanks for the hot take sling blade. Speaking of hot, I'd like some of those hot fried taters, hmm mm.

Finishing around .500 and making the NIT should be a reasonable goal next year.  To achieve that both Williams and Roberts need to contribute. Both are long and athletic. Both should fit in great with what Coach Anderson is trying to do. THIS COACH has a a plan.
So a 6/7 place finish in year 1 would be fine. Finishing 10th, 8th, tied  for 10th and 7th would be embarrassing. But I am not expecting a repeat even though the cupboards kind of bare. Culture and system will be in place. Improved recruiting is coming. Players will not only stay they will get better. Remember coaching is easy but you can’t skip steps. Losing by 30 points every game and giving up 90 points is really not part of the process.
As nice as both Williams and Roberts fit in with the current team they didn’t fit in at all with what coach Mullins was trying to do. You would think he would value shooters. Neither guy is a good outside shooter. In Mullins defense, how active was he in their recruitment? He probably didn’t even know their names.
Anderson is lucky to have both players. If Mullins stayed these 2 would likely have been in the transfer portal next year after another 10th place finish.
Last years staff has little to no effect on this season. So once the season starts they deserve no blame. When LJ or Herron make 1st team all big east, coach mullins deserves no credit. When Williams plays starter minutes and proves to be a capable big east player it will not because of part time Mitch. If Roberts can play 15/20 minutes a night, play tough defense and score a few points it won’t be because of Greg St. Jean.
Even without top talent coach anderson is expected to win his first year. He certainly won’t lose his exhibition game by 40 points. Maybe we lose a game or 2 that we shouldn’t but it won’t be incarnate word like.
Once again I want remind you I told you your boy was out as soon as we got a real AD. It was obvious. Cragg hated him almost as much as I do. You can mock our new coach all you want. He is going to win plenty of games.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:37:35 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
1. We make it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament
2. Heron is First-Team Big East
3. Steere is Second-Team Big East and is a force for us on the boards.
4. We win 2 games in the Big East Tournament
5.  We finish 4th in the Big East

-of course injuries change this whole dynamic

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
1. The returning Mullin Players (Heron, LJ, Roberts, Williams, Earlington, Caraher and Steere) gel to become the core team, and have a phenomenal year.
2. The returning players find a way to integrate Dunn into the core.
3.  The team finishes 6th based on core team's performance
4. The team is in the tournament.
5. Champagnie, Rutherford, Sears, McGriff all disappoint ...

:)

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
1. We make it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7uQGBSzsSo

Like these predictions the best.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
1. The returning Mullin Players (Heron, LJ, Roberts, Williams, Earlington, Caraher and Steere) gel to become the core team, and have a phenomenal year.
2. The returning players find a way to integrate Dunn into the core.
3.  The team finishes 6th based on core team's performance
4. The team is in the tournament.
5. Champagnie, Rutherford, Sears, McGriff all disappoint ...

:)

Not challenging, but I’m wondering why you think 4 new players will disappoint? We have two freshman, one from Brooklyn, and one from Maryland, a grad transfer and a juco transfer. They’re mostly in different places in their careers.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
1) Lot's of fans coming to the game disguised as empty seats.

The fallout from having a coach nobody ever heard of instead of the instant credibility and media interest resulting from having a household name, two time Ncaa player of the year, Nba superstar, hall of fame, dream team member, all-time beloved New York sports figure at the helm is felt immediately. 

2) Cheap seats on the secondary market. The ill-timed season ticket price bump plus see above ensure it's so.

3) We press and run relentlessly like a Nolan Richardson team clone.

4) The high water mark achieved last season is not sustained and the season result is typical of a normal St. John's season. No Ncaa tournament bid.

5) The December 18th game against the Albany Great Danes that everyone already has circled on their calendar does not disappoint as the "Battle for NY" becomes an instant classic.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Not challenging, but I’m wondering why you think 4 new players will disappoint? We have two freshman, one from Brooklyn, and one from Maryland, a grad transfer and a juco transfer. They’re mostly in different places in their careers.

I think you mostly answered the question yourself ... i would add new to the team, the level of play in the conference, the level of their talent in contrast to the core team (including Dunn) so if im expecting anything more than 2 pts each per game average out of those 4 i'd be disappointed.

We lost roughly 58 percent per game of our offense with the departure of Ponds, Clark, Simon, Trimble and Kieta. That left us with about 42% per game, which now would mostly need to be on a very doable duo LJ and Heron (about 16.5 ppg each). So where would the remaining offense come from a team that averaged 77.2 and finished 7th (largely because of one stolen game) ... I can see Dunn making up Simon's offense, a combo of Earlington/Caraher making up Clark's offense ... and i see a collective effort by Williams, Roberts, Steere and the remaining 4 to make up Ponds, Kieta, Trimble's offense ... Based on these assumptions, I would predict a 6th place finish with a record of 9-9 and an NCAA berth ... I don't see any fall off on average because of the talent that already was accumulated and one added (Dunn) ...  Let's revisit this post on March 7, 2020 and see how close or far off i was :) ... 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:46:22 PM by Ez_Uzi »

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »
1) Lot's of fans coming to the game disguised as empty seats.

The fallout from having a coach nobody ever heard of instead of the instant credibility and media interest resulting from having a household name, two time Ncaa player of the year, Nba superstar, hall of fame, dream team member, all-time beloved New York sports figure at the helm is felt immediately. 

2) Cheap seats on the secondary market. The ill-timed season ticket price bump plus see above ensure it's so.

3) We press and run relentlessly like a Nolan Richardson team clone.

4) The high water mark achieved last season is not sustained and the season result is typical of a normal St. John's season. No Ncaa tournament bid.

5) The December 18th game against the Albany Great Danes that everyone already has circled on their calendar does not disappoint as the "Battle for NY" becomes an instant classic.
Since you watched the last 4 years without really paying attention. It only makes sense that you have no idea the good WORK our new coach is doing. Key word is work for all of you mullintards.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
Since you watched the last 4 years without really paying attention. 
What makes you say that?  True I was drunk for most (all) of it but it's not accurate to say I wasn't paying attention.