ESPN: Why St. John's believes in Mike Anderson (even if you might not)

• 25 replies

TONYD3

Re: ESPN: Why St. John's believes in Mike Anderson (even if you might not)
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
"Rice would have been an excellent addition to a team that often appeared uninterested on defense this past season, one reason the talented Red Storm managed only a one-and-done NCAA tournament appearance in a play-in game. But when Mullin brought Rice’s name to Gempesaw, the school president balked, a source said. Gempesaw perhaps feared blowback and a potential public-relations hit."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/09/a-hire-chris-mullin-was-not-allowed-to-make-helped-set-the-stage-for-his-departure/#48aabea55b56

Can’t make this shit up. Never heard of CJ Cleveland, van Macon, or demeo. Since they have been hired I have read they are qualified. If they weren’t hired, coach anderson would have hired 3 different QUALIFIED assistants.
Mike Rice would have been a huge upgrade here. Just like hundreds of other assistants. From memory rices’s big east record was almost as bad as coach Mullins.
Mike rice was not the girl who got away.

ras

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
Rice had Scottie Lewis and Alex Klatsky on board. Aiden Igiehon would have followed.
Mullin was on the fence.
Gemp didn't want to spend more money on staff. Still egg on face from Slice stuff.
Mullin was still on the fence.
Oliva supported Rice hire and school was ok with it.
Mullin didn't want to.
Recruits went elsewhere.
Rice stayed put.
Mullin resigned.

What I don't know is why Mullin didn't want to. Idk if it was to protect Mitch, pride, or didn't think Rice would be good fit. I sat with Mullin for probably a dozen Rice's games. I really thought it was happening. It could have happened. Too little, too late.

Another one of SJU excellent decisions. Lewis Klatsy and Aiden on board w a defensive , disciplined AC. What might have been?

Foad

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Rice had Scottie Lewis and Alex Klatsky on board. Aiden Igiehon would have followed.
Mullin was on the fence.
Gemp didn't want to spend more money on staff. Still egg on face from Slice stuff.
Mullin was still on the fence.
Oliva supported Rice hire and school was ok with it.
Mullin didn't want to.
Recruits went elsewhere.
Rice stayed put.
Mullin resigned.

What I don't know is why Mullin didn't want to. Idk if it was to protect Mitch, pride, or didn't think Rice would be good fit. I sat with Mullin for probably a dozen Rice's games. I really thought it was happening. It could have happened. Too little, too late.

This sounds fanciful to me but perhaps it's true. I wonder though why a respected journalist like Pelzman would lie to his Forbes readers and why a respected broadcaster like Mike Rice Sr. would retweet the lie. It's passing strange.

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »
Yeah kinda like how Terry #$%^ing Bradway wanted to draft Russell Wilson but the rest of the draft war room shot him down.

Good article but it's time to move on from Mullin. It doesn't matter what could've, should've been because it never happened. Hope springs eternal.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
At media day he said he will use Champagnie as a stretch four...obviously trying to win Marillac’s favor.

Marillac approves.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:33:03 PM by Marillac »