Pitino to Iona?

• 101 replies
Re: Pitino to Iona?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 09:04:16 PM »
Pitino is going to recruit a different type of kid that, frankly, we likely aren't getting anyway.  He will recruit nationally at Iona, as he should.  I think Uconn probably falls into the same boat.  Don't see it having much impact.

At Iona? He's going to be in all 5 boroughs + nationally.  Taquan Dean, Earl Clark, Donovan Mitchell, Russ Smith...he's no stranger to recruiting in NJ/NY.

Will be interesting to see who's on his staff and how it stacks up to St. John's.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 09:08:23 PM »
Would he want Sid? Thought he would aim higher.

Agreed. But I was thinking a 1 year guy to get the ball rolling until Rick gets the full recruiting year

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
Yes he’ll recruit NY and NJ, and everywhere else. I think he will get grad transfers, other transfers, JUCOS and kids from outside NY. Sure we’ll compete for the occasional kid but I don’t think it is that huge of an issue.

At Iona? He's going to be in all 5 boroughs + nationally.  Taquan Dean, Earl Clark, Donovan Mitchell, Russ Smith...he's no stranger to recruiting in NJ/NY.

Will be interesting to see who's on his staff and how it stacks up to St. John's.

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
I think most any solid grand transfer will want to play for him. Why wouldn’t you?  And he’ll probably beat your favorite AC (the little guy) for some kids, which I’m sure will warm your heart.

Agreed. But I was thinking a 1 year guy to get the ball rolling until Rick gets the full recruiting year

ras

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 10:23:42 PM »
As much as I like CMA I think Pitino would have made us a powerhouse.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »
As much as I like CMA I think Pitino would have made us a powerhouse.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Pitino at the time, but I'm extremely happy with CMA at this point, and wouldn't swap him for Pitino.

I mean, Iona will probably have a fun 5 years and then get hit with crippling NCAA sanctions. I hope it will be worth it. Enjoy the ride.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
Let’s be real. When he has success there, and he will, he’ll be off to a better opportunity as soon as it becomes available. Whether that be in the NBA or college. Schools won’t be as hesitant to hire him once he’s back in the fold and been through the blender.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
Of course Dave is all out of woodworks for this but has been silent after last two wins .....Agenda Agenda Agenda

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »
Let’s be real. When he has success there, and he will, he’ll be off to a better opportunity as soon as it becomes available. Whether that be in the NBA or college. Schools won’t be as hesitant to hire him once he’s back in the fold and been through the blender.

No doubt. I give him 2, 3 years max before taking a better gig.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »
I...O...N...A - I.O.N.A - IONA!

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »

We won’t be recruiting the same players. Pitino values skill. Anderson values athleticism. Neither program can consistently attract players with both.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 01:15:01 AM »
Of course Dave is all out of woodworks for this but has been silent after last two wins .....Agenda Agenda Agenda

You should really read my last few posts.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »
Did Jeff Capel recommended Pitino to Iona's AD or was this his own idea?

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
I think most any solid grand transfer will want to play for him. Why wouldn’t you?  And he’ll probably beat your favorite AC (the little guy) for some kids, which I’m sure will warm your heart.

AC?

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 08:20:54 AM »
We won’t be recruiting the same players. Pitino values skill. Anderson values athleticism. Neither program can consistently attract players with both.

St John’s will get the scraps. They won’t be able to compete for recruits with the likes of Seton Hall, UConn, Rutgers and now Iona.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
No doubt. I give him 2, 3 years max before taking a better gig.

Over under in Vegas is at 2 years...I would take the under all day...one year and off to something bigger....

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
Over under in Vegas is at 2 years...I would take the under all day...one year and off to something bigger....

Wishful thinking for some I see

Johnny23

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
Pump the brakes on the rhetoric. UConn isn't shit anymore. Hurley still needs to prove he can get them back to a major power level. Remains to be seen.

This won't hurt the Johnnies much. Anderson just needs to stick to his plan. Next year we should see a significant improvement with all the reinforcements coming in. Right on track.

Johnny23

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »

Yup. Nothing more than a stepping stone back into the big time. Did it at Providence and he'll do it at little old Iona too.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »
St John’s will get the scraps. They won’t be able to compete for recruits with the likes of Seton Hall, UConn, Rutgers and now Iona.

In the past, I would have agreed, but I think we still have advantages over Iona, Rutgers and UConn.

If a kid really wants to get away, they are going to get away. UConn got theirs during the latter of Calhoun’s time there in part because we were so undesirable. Coach Anderson’s career tells us that he isn’t Norm Roberts. It doesn’t tell us that he’s Jim Calhoun, but we have a style of play that certain kids want, and Coach is already starting to land those kids.

I’m not concerned with rankings as much as others, but just like Iona and Rutgers can find success with sleeper talents, St.John’s can as well, provided we have a staff that is looking hard enough for them.

Justin Champagnie is a great start. He’s not Walter Berry, but if we are going to ever develop a pipeline back to NYC, it has to be a good idea to have come here. For this kid, it was.

I predict, provided this is not the end of days, that next season, we will reach 20 wins, and be competitive for the entire season. With Rutherford and Dunn in our backcourt, we had the least talented backcourt I can remember.

But the big picture here is exciting for me. Rutgers, Hall, St.John’s and Hofstra all exceeded expectations this season. I can’t remember the last time I said that about those programs.