Pitino to Iona?

• 101 replies
Re: Pitino to Iona?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »
How was player development great? Champagnie came in was awesome day one. Credit for finding and using him is definitely in order there, but not development.

Everyone loved Williams last year and he slightly underachieved in the eyes of many, including myself.

Earlington is Earlington. See my posts about him since day one. He hits the glass and he is more skilled then the big men he goes against.

Roberts regressed. Heron regressed. LJ regressed. Dunn didn’t change in any way all season.

Sears didn’t develop. Steere didn’t develop. Caraher didn’t develop.

I mean if you can't acknowledge the progress of Champagnie, Williams, and Earlington I'm not sure we can have a reasonable discussion.

Also disagree about Caraher. He was playing very good team basketball at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:29:41 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2020, 09:44:21 PM »
You were a fan of Williams and Earlington, but they have looked remarkably better this year.  Part of that is no doubt due to maturation, but I think it is fair to give the staff credit for their development.

I don't think Roberts regressed at all.  I think he was better than what we saw in limited spurts as a freshman.

I knew nothing about Julian before he came here but those who saw him did not think he would have anywhere near the impact he had this year.  I credit the staff not just for finding him but also how he played.

Frankly I think Rutherford gave us a lot more than people thought based on what he did previously.

How was player development great? Champagnie came in was awesome day one. Credit for finding and using him is definitely in order there, but not development.

Everyone loved Williams last year and he slightly underachieved in the eyes of many, including myself.

Earlington is Earlington. See my posts about him since day one. He hits the glass and he is more skilled then the big men he goes against.

Roberts regressed. Heron regressed. LJ regressed. Dunn didn’t change in any way all season.

Sears didn’t develop. Steere didn’t develop. Caraher didn’t develop.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »
You were a fan of Williams and Earlington, but they have looked remarkably better this year.  Part of that is no doubt due to maturation, but I think it is fair to give the staff credit for their development.

I don't think Roberts regressed at all.  I think he was better than what we saw in limited spurts as a freshman.

I knew nothing about Julian before he came here but those who saw him did not think he would have anywhere near the impact he had this year.  I credit the staff not just for finding him but also how he played.

Frankly I think Rutherford gave us a lot more than people thought based on what he did previously.

Williams was not as good as I expected. Roberts was much better than expected to start the season and then finished terribly.

It’s tough to credit Anderson with development. This is where his biggest fans split with the rest of us...giving him praise in every single area. More players disappointed this year than surprised by quite a large margin.

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »
Williams was not as good as I expected. Roberts was much better than expected to start the season and then finished terribly.

It’s tough to credit Anderson with development. This is where his biggest fans split with the rest of us...giving him praise in every single area. More players disappointed this year than surprised by quite a large margin.

Define quite a large margin, Middle Ground.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

NYCoffey

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
Define quite a large margin, Middle Ground.

Who improved AND had a season better than you expected? Earlington for sure. That’s it. Champagnie and his brother (12.7 pts and 7.0 rebounds for Pitt) both started amazing from the opening jump ball.

This is simply not an area of praise. Hopefully next year will be different.

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »
Who improved AND had a season better than you expected? Earlington for sure. That’s it. Champagnie and his brother (12.7 pts and 7.0 rebounds for Pitt) both started amazing from the opening jump ball.

Our 2 best players didn’t meet my expectations. Champaigne Earlington Roberts Williams all exceeded my expectations. You can agree or disagree within reason but again how bout some fvckin middle ground?

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 04:30:22 PM »
Our 2 best players didn’t meet my expectations. Champaigne Earlington Roberts Williams all exceeded my expectations. You can agree or disagree within reason but again how bout some fvckin middle ground?
Common Amase Champaigne was Julius freaking Erving right out of the box, get with it man.

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »
This is where I was, with caveats about our two best players.  (1) I don't know how much of Heron's performance was attributable to the injury he suffered during the summer and other "nicks" he picked up before he shut it down altogether.  (2) I think the context of LJ's performance is important.  He went from being one of many solid secondary options playing off a really good ball dominant player that everyone focused on stopping (Ponds) and being surrounded by other shooters/players that teams had to worry about, to being the singular focus of every team.  Not a total surprise he seemed to struggle more in that role.

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
This is where I was, with caveats about our two best players.  (1) I don't know how much of Heron's performance was attributable to the injury he suffered during the summer and other "nicks" he picked up before he shut it down altogether.  (2) I think the context of LJ's performance is important.  He went from being one of many solid secondary options playing off a really good ball dominant player that everyone focused on stopping (Ponds) and being surrounded by other shooters/players that teams had to worry about, to being the singular focus of every team.  Not a total surprise he seemed to struggle more in that role.

Good points and to be clear I’m as big an LJ fan as there is. I think his “regression” was greatly overstated and had much to do with the points you mentioned but if I’m honest I did expect him to handle being a primary option a little better. Still he was clearly our best player and his all around game rarely took nights off.

Foad

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »

Despite the fact that you continue to top post like an internet noob I agree absolutely that the regression of Heron and LJF was directly related to Ponds's absence, Ponds being a supernaturally talented player who made everyone around him better without seeming to. Heron this year seemed hampered physically and LJF mentally, he seems to have checked out months ago. I suspect LJF didn't want to come back at all but thought he might play himself into the draft, which I thought he might, which he didn't, and good luck overseas. 

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:41 PM »
Hopefully we are surprised and he returns.  Watching, he seemed frustrated or checked out at times, to your point.  Others, even later in the year, was very engaged (like BE tourney games).

QuanMan

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
·
37m
Told longtime college coach Tommy Abatemarco expected to be on Rick Pitino's staff at Iona, as
@lohudinsider
 reported. Long, long time ago, he worked under Lou Carnesecca at St. John's. #icmbb #sjubb

He was a candidate to be on Lavs staff to replace Dunlap back in 2012 as well.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:01 PM »
Common Amase Champaigne was Julius freaking Erving right out of the box, get with it man.

He averaged 12 and 7.5 his first 9 games in significantly less time than he got at the end of the year. He finished with averages of 9.9 and 6.5. His brother averaged 12.7 and 7.0.

The only difference I saw at the end compared to the beginning was he was making his open threes better. His shots always looked good as I noted often early.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 12:03:31 AM »

Why is it so hard for our fans to just admit that Heron didn’t fit with what Anderson does? Kids fit certain systems better. Butler has that jacked point forward a few years back...I want to say his name was Roosevelt Jones. He was awesome for them but he wouldn’t work in Anderson’s system.

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 06:35:42 AM »
Why is it so hard for our fans to just admit that Heron didn’t fit with what Anderson does? Kids fit certain systems better. Butler has that jacked point forward a few years back...I want to say his name was Roosevelt Jones. He was awesome for them but he wouldn’t work in Anderson’s system.

Because it’s impossible to take anything you say seriously. Like when you said every other coach in the country would have done better than Anderson did with this team.

Btw heron averaged .8 points less than he did last season while playing 7 fewer minutes. Banged up and shot poorly. You want to tell me he wasn't getting any open looks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:47:59 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2020, 06:54:31 AM »
He averaged 12 and 7.5 his first 9 games in significantly less time than he got at the end of the year. He finished with averages of 9.9 and 6.5. His brother averaged 12.7 and 7.0.

The only difference I saw at the end compared to the beginning was he was making his open threes better. His shots always looked good as I noted often early.

First 9 games
27.4 min
11.7 ppg
7.1 rebs
50% fg
32% 3fg

Last 9 games of BE season
30.1 min
14.3 ppg
7.8 rebs
46% fg
36% fg

Significantly less time?
Didn’t improve?
Nuance?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:08:12 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11293.40

Marillac: "Seems like a reach to me". "I wouldn’t have offered".

And now he didn´t improve.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:35:43 AM by gonzalo »

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11293.40

Marillac: "Seems like a reach to me". "I wouldn’t have offered".

And now he didn´t improve.

Marillac on 10/11 before season started:  “At media day he said he will use Champagnie as a stretch four...obviously trying to win Marillac’s favor.

Marillac approves.” http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11417.msg314313#msg314313

Marillac during Midnight Madness in October:  “I'm extremely impressed with Champagnie showing up at 220 lbs and a legit 6'7.  I hate him as a SF, but I'm very intrigued to see what he can do as a versatile four. We should know pretty early if he is willing and able to play physically down low.“ http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11425.msg314431#msg314431

Marillac on 11/23:  “I’ll give Anderson some serious credit, so brace yourselves....

I LOVE Champagnie as a stretch four. Huge props to him and his staff for adding him and understanding he is a four and not a three.” http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11449.msg315627#msg315627

And then gushed about him in every game thread.

derk

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
·
37m
Told longtime college coach Tommy Abatemarco expected to be on Rick Pitino's staff at Iona, as
@lohudinsider
 reported. Long, long time ago, he worked under Lou Carnesecca at St. John's. #icmbb #sjubb

He was a candidate to be on Lavs staff to replace Dunlap back in 2012 as well.

Also wasn't he the coach at NC State or at least an Assistant