How is everyone?

• 54 replies

Marillac

Re: How is everyone?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
The irony of this coming from you is hilarious.
 :'( :'( :'(

I’m a maxipad fan. This isn’t the dark ages.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:29 AM »
I watched it also.  Enjoyable, fun game.

The only players I would want from 2018 on CMA's team is Ponds and Owens.  You can have the rest.  Brilliant game by Ponds.  Clark, in typical fashion, fouled out.  Simon, hard to watch.

Ahmed had a great game in that one too. Don’t think he or Ponds would fit this current style but boy, would have been nice to have Ahmed last year.

LoganK

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
Anyway, to answer the thread question it's an odd situation for me as my day to day life hasn't changed much, other than seeing less people out on the street and taking more precautions at work.  Im fortunate enough to be guaranteed work and a paycheck (until someone at my office catches it anyway, then it'll just be the paycheck without the work).

Best wishes to everyone (even you Marillac), may we all make it through happy and healthy

Foad

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »
Replace the word "Coronavirus" with the word "Covid-19" to fix that issue (my understanding was that covid-19 was a type of coronavirus, rather than the AIDS/HIV reference you used, but I've been wrong before).

According to the WHO, coronavirus has a serial interval if 5-6 days compared to the regular flu at 3 days, but it is believed to have a higher rate of secondary infections (roughly 2-2.5).  The case mortality ratio was 3-4% as of 3/6 (old numbers, but all i found in a quick search from the WHO)

The CDC and the Chinese government's most recent numbers estimate a 2.3% CFR (case fatality rate).  This is much higher than that of the seasonal flu in the US (.1%).  While that number would be expected to drop if all infections were known, there is also the variable that this far, deaths have occurred between 2-8 weeks after symptoms have first appeared, meaning the death count is not accurate yet for CFR's purposes, either.

You are correct, there is no way to know the true IFR (infected fatality rate) until this is over, but most estimates seem to expect it to settle around 1-1.5%.

To play it off that this is nothing seems ignorant to me.  But let's hope you're right.

Did you go to all three years of epidemiology school or did you get skipped ahead a grade.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
According to the WHO,

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

the Chinese government's most recent numbers estimate

Excellent sources you've chosen

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »
Replace the word "Coronavirus" with the word "Covid-19" to fix that issue (my understanding was that covid-19 was a type of coronavirus, rather than the AIDS/HIV reference you used, but I've been wrong before).

According to the WHO, coronavirus has a serial interval if 5-6 days compared to the regular flu at 3 days, but it is believed to have a higher rate of secondary infections (roughly 2-2.5).  The case mortality ratio was 3-4% as of 3/6 (old numbers, but all i found in a quick search from the WHO)

The CDC and the Chinese government's most recent numbers estimate a 2.3% CFR (case fatality rate).  This is much higher than that of the seasonal flu in the US (.1%).  While that number would be expected to drop if all infections were known, there is also the variable that this far, deaths have occurred between 2-8 weeks after symptoms have first appeared, meaning the death count is not accurate yet for CFR's purposes, either.

You are correct, there is no way to know the true IFR (infected fatality rate) until this is over, but most estimates seem to expect it to settle around 1-1.5%.

To play it off that this is nothing seems ignorant to me.  But let's hope you're right.

well even if you take the existing official New York data 27000 cases 270 deaths you are at just 1% whereas unreported and asymptomatic could easily make it 50000 cases with 270 death.

I am even more optimistic than Marillac, and predict .7% ...

Also we already know the trajectory of the disease from China and now Washington state ... we know how it is going to play out ... 

It just seems all the sound and fury has been generated by mainstream and social media ... signifying nothing ;)

LoganK

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
Excellent sources you've chosen
The CFR numbers used are a matter of comparing reported cases and deaths so the source in this instance is somewhat irrelevant. 

It is understood that many cases are going unreported.  It's one of the reasons Italy looks so horrible - they're only testing those who are already showing more severe symptoms at this point, so of course those numbers will look worse than the true value.

Multiple university studies both in the US and abroad seem to share a similar sentiment that this is more dangerous than influenza.  I didn't perform the studies myself, and no, i didn't attend school for epidemiology.  But the people who did are coming to these conclusions, which leads me to believe them.

LoganK

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
I am even more optimistic than Marillac, and predict .7%
So on the low end it will be 7 times more deadly than the flu?

ras

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 12:25:09 PM »
Anyone who isn’t doing well mentally because of two weeks of quasi-isolation needs to take a long look in the mirror.

This is nothing but media driven hysteria and will be looked back on as a joke.
Talking about the economic ramifications like you mentioned, the stock market tanked and many people got laid off, w many businesses closed. And there    are a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck. There is also a lot of uncertainty out there. Throw in the fear of contacted the virus and there is a lot of mental anguish.
I agree w you staying home for 2 weeks in and of itself is no big deal. I’m trying to view it as a staycation. I’m a dentist in S. Fl and I had to close my office, leaving me w no income from the office and expenses. Fortunately ,I save for a rainy day and am not worried about the short term. I can lye in my lounge chair w perfect weather and read. Watching a lot of Netflix. I also go for bicycle rides.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:14:46 PM by ras »

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
Italy.

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »
So which is it?

Do you not believe that Nyc is running out of Icu beds and ventilators or do you not believe that it's a problem?

Foad

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
Multiple university studies both in the US and abroad seem to share a similar sentiment that this is more dangerous than influenza.  I didn't perform the studies myself, and no, i didn't attend school for epidemiology.  But the people who did are coming to these conclusions, which leads me to believe them.

The problem with the studies that are reported in the news is that they're reported in the news. Because the news (1) thrives on lurching from crisis to crisis and (2) has spent three years trying to get Trump - Russia Russia Russia Russia Ukraine Ukraine Ukraine CORONA! - and this is just another opportunity. Obama went golfing on Martha's Vineyard the day he declared H1N1 - which infected 60 million people and killed a thousand people a month - a national emergency. The media praised him. Do you think they'd have praised Trump this week if he's been out golfing?

Here's a study not reported in the news.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

99 percent of Italians who allegedly died from Corona had preexisting illnesses. 75 percent had two existing comorbidities. Nevertheless anyone who died who tested positive for the virus was pronounced dead of corona. They've gone so far as to test people who'd died previously and been pronounced dead of other causes and change the cause of death to Corona if the dead people test positive. The average age of the victims was 81. Eight-one years young.

Ironically this (weaponized Chicom bat virus pandemic) was exasperated by all the things lefties pine for: open borders, unfettered immigration, outsourcing, urbanization, globalization and political correctness. You'd think lefties would get one thing right every once in a while, just randomly - even Mario Mendoza got a base hit twice in ten times - but it never happens. In Italy thousands of imported Chinese workers returned to Wuhan for Chinese New Year and were permitted to return to Italy after the Chicoms and WHO knew that human to human transmission was possible. As the virus spread the mayor of Lombardy encouraged his citizens to take off their masks and hug random Chinese in the streets to fight racism and xenophobia

https://pluralist.com/hug-a-chinese-florence-coronavirus/

In a stunning turn of events that turned out poorly.

Neither of us studied epidemiology. But we've heard of thalidomide, and the Gulf of Tonkin, and government promulgated dietary guidelines that have killed more people in the US than Hitler killed my Jewish forebears (that's right, I'm chosen) in Germany, and Tuskegee, and weapons of mass destruction, and Chappaquiddick and Iran Contra and that's off the top of my head. These people are cheats and liars who care only about power and the endgame is you or your children slogging through rice fields to meet a five year agricultural plan quota perpetrated by some over educated Yale graduate who's busy golfing. Believe them at your own risk.

goredmen

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
So the governor of Nevada declared that hydroxychloroquine is banned in his state. Now Cuomo, just days after talking about it being a potential gamechanger, has blocked doctors from writing prescriptions for it.

https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1242897547171004417

First of all, what the hell is the reasoning behind these bans. Have there been any reported cases of patients that have had horrific outcomes due to being prescribed this drug? Everything I've read about this treatment has been extremely positive from Europe to America.

Secondly, our system is seriously #$%^ed up if a dumbass Governor, or President, or any elected official for that matter can tell Doctors what they can and can't prescribe to their sick patients.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:48:19 PM by goredmen »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »
People with no pre-existing conditions are starting to die from this. 

This is not a good time to learn from other Republicans. Allow me to help you guys on the right with an explanation that breaks this all down for you.

Skittles sure are delicious. Imagine I gave you a bag of 100 Skittles, but I told you that three of them were poisonous.

Would you still eat the Skittles?

Poison

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
So the governor of Nevada declared that hydroxychloroquine is banned in his state. Now Cuomo, just days after talking about it being a potential gamechanger, has blocked doctors from writing prescriptions for it.

https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1242897547171004417

First of all, what the hell is the reasoning behind these bans. Have there been any reported cases of patients that have had horrific outcomes due to being prescribed this drug? Everything I've read about this treatment has been extremely positive from Europe to America.

Secondly, our system is seriously #$%^ed up if a dumbass Governor, or President, or any elected official for that matter can tell Doctors what they can and can't prescribe to their sick patients.

The difference is that Cuomo said he believed it could be the answer. Trump said it was, because he’s a stupid POS.

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
I have compassion for those who are being laid off due to this media-driven frenzy.  Look at the stats for past pandemics.  Over 1 billion people were infected with swine flu with 500,000 deaths.  What did we do?  I honestly don't even remember it.  You bet your arse it would be different if that came around now with how social media has evolved and how nasty, sensational, and partisan the media has become.

The economic casualties will far outweigh the actual physical impact this virus will have. 

Yea the financial issues are real for a lot of people myself included. Under Armour canceled events which canceled at least half my 2020 paycheck.

The medical issues are real too. My mother was in serious condition just a few weeks ago with multiple blood clots in her lungs and now she is at a very high risk. The anxiety alone of her being scared to go to follow up visits at hospital is troubling nor have I been able to see her.

There are plenty of things that are messed up in the world, some more than this, but real people are effected. It's not some social media sensation.

We can take the Corona tough guy takes and you're probably right when you say swine flu might take lives of more people but that doesn't justify having this take lives when it doesn't have to.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »
I like a good conspiracy theory way more than the next guy. For example I believe we never went to the moon (it was filmed in a Hollywood studio); aliens landed in New Mexico; and the Dempsey vs. Tunney long count was the result of a mob fix.

I am more than willing to believe that Swine flu was in fact worse than Corona virus and the only difference in perception and action is that the Democratic party and the media (is there any difference cepting Fox of course?) is going hog wild pushing the panic button, purposefully screwing the economy in order to hurt Trump 2020.

Yet there's a gaping hole in that theory. How could the Dems possibly get the entire world on board with it in order to bump up Biden/Abrams 2020? The globe is acting in coordinated unison to hurt Trump in a way they didn't in 2009 because it would have hindered Obama? Impossible.

I call obvious bullsh*te. Your better off sticking to the government dropped the towers on 9/11.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:10:14 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 10:09:12 PM »
Yea the financial issues are real for a lot of people myself included. Under Armour canceled events which canceled at least half my 2020 paycheck.

The medical issues are real too. My mother was in serious condition just a few weeks ago with multiple blood clots in her lungs and now she is at a very high risk. The anxiety alone of her being scared to go to follow up visits at hospital is troubling nor have I been able to see her.

There are plenty of things that are messed up in the world, some more than this, but real people are effected. It's not some social media sensation.

We can take the Corona tough guy takes and you're probably right when you say swine flu might take lives of more people but that doesn't justify having this take lives when it doesn't have to.
All the best to you and your mom. If I wasn't a blasted infidel I'd be praying.

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
I like a good conspiracy theory way more than the next guy. For example I believe we never went to the moon (it was filmed in a Hollywood studio); aliens landed in New Mexico; and the Dempsey vs. Tunney long count was the result of a mob fix.

I am more than willing to believe that Swine flu was in fact worse than Corona virus and the only difference in perception and action is that the Democratic party and the media (is there any difference cepting Fox of course?) is going hog wild pushing the panic button, purposefully screwing the economy in order to hurt Trump 2020.

Yet there's a gaping hole in that theory. How could the Dems possibly get the entire world on board with it in order to bump up Biden/Abrams 2020? The globe is acting in coordinated unison to hurt Trump in a way they didn't in 2009 because it would have hindered Obama? Impossible.

I call obvious bullsh*te. Your better off sticking to the government dropped the towers on 9/11.

World doesn't have to be in on it they are collateral damage.  ;)

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »
The difference is that Cuomo said he believed it could be the answer. Trump said it was, because he’s a stupid POS.

If he believed it could be the answer why is he preventing doctors from prescribing it to their patients?