Rothstein's starting 5

• 12 replies

Poison

Rothstein's starting 5
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
Posh, Dunn, Williams, Champ and Toro.

That doesn't look good for our jucos, but knows? It's harder to predict the starting line up this year than any I can remember.

Anyone hearing any buzz on our guys?

Re: Rothstein's starting 5
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »
From conversation with Jon he told me coaching staff was very high on Posh and Toro. Those were two players they talked the most on. Also said the team looked well conditioned.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
I have a hard time believing Cole won't be starting and top three in minutes.  He is really the only natural SF on the roster, and this roster seems to have a lack of shooting.  If I was a betting man, I'd feel pretty good about laying money down on Cole leading the team in scoring.

I love the descriptions of Posh and Wusu.  I think Wusu could really do some damage in this style of play. 

Toro needs to be head and shoulders above any returning big man we have at the five. He was a monster addition by the staff IMO.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
I think the expectations of many on this board regarding Cole are above what he is capable of doing as a first year JUCO transfer. History shows; Figgy, Ahmed, Brownlee, Hardy, Sanchez, Marc Whatever, no JUCO transfer has had the impact in his first year what we are asking of Cole. At least this century. Marcus Hatten he isnt.

That being said, I think he will average 10ppg in OOC; take a hit when BE schedule starts, but will be averaging double figures in the last five games of BE to be a confident go to scorer in this post season.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
I think the expectations of many on this board regarding Cole are above what he is capable of doing as a first year JUCO transfer. History shows; Figgy, Ahmed, Brownlee, Hardy, Sanchez, Marc Whatever, no JUCO transfer has had the impact in his first year what we are asking of Cole. At least this century. Marcus Hatten he isnt.

That being said, I think he will average 10ppg in OOC; take a hit when BE schedule starts, but will be averaging double figures in the last five games of BE to be a confident go to scorer in this post season.

Hatten would average 25 on this team.  Bootsy stepped in immediately and played near NBA level.  I'm not saying this kid is anywhere near those two, but there are a lot of easy points for forwards who can run in this style and even more points for forwards who can handle and create.  What a guy does has just as much to do with team need as it does with ability.  Both seem to line up for Cole.

I don't like Cole's mechanics, but he's athletic, has good body control, can handle well for a 2/3, and he can finish comfortably with both hands. At 6'5 that makes him very hard to defend.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »
Hatten would average 25 on this team.  Bootsy stepped in immediately and played near NBA level.  I'm not saying this kid is anywhere near those two, but there are a lot of easy points for forwards who can run in this style and even more points for forwards who can handle and create.  What a guy does has just as much to do with team need as it does with ability.  Both seem to line up for Cole.

I don't like Cole's mechanics, but he's athletic, has good body control, can handle well for a 2/3, and he can finish comfortably with both hands. At 6'5 that makes him very hard to defend.
Regarding the mechanics, is it the low shot release? That could be an issue during league play when the comp heats up. Everyone is athletic in the Big East. Btw, I hope you're right. Im just saying from twenty years in the 21st century, no JC transfer outside of Hatten has had the first year impact fans are looking for.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 03:45:44 PM »
Cole has bruised knee so hasn't been practicing but looks like him and Moore will be backups to start the season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »
I can see a Dwight Hardy type of career for Cole.
  • 12 ppg year 1
  • 18 ppg year 2

I hope freshmen have impact. Wusu's build and aggressive nature on defense reminds me of Ron Artest. .

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 04:29:11 AM »
I can see a Dwight Hardy type of career for Cole.
  • 12 ppg year 1
  • 18 ppg year 2

I hope freshmen have impact. Wusu's build and aggressive nature on defense reminds me of Ron Artest. .

Without seeing either play they remind you of some of the best players in SJU history?

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 10:03:58 AM »

Without seeing either play they remind you of some of the best players in SJU history?

For Cole I think people need to reduce expectations. 20ppg mindset is crazy I think, a solid 12 points would be valuable to offset LJ's numbers.

Regarding Wusu, watch some high school game footage and squint your eyes.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 10:20:09 AM »
For Cole I think people need to reduce expectations. 20ppg mindset is crazy I think, a solid 12 points would be valuable to offset LJ's numbers.

Regarding Wusu, watch some high school game footage and squint your eyes.

Jucos are harder to gage lately, but we’ve had pretty good success overall with them.

FWIW, other Than the Truth, jucos have almost always been hard to gage. Hatten? No one saw that coming, except maybe Jarvis. (Credit where it’s due) Bootsy? We can thank Fran Fraschilla for the best under the radar recruit St.John’s has had in my lifetime. All we heard all summer is how will we ever replace Felipe Lopez?

From what I recall, Hardy and Brownlee were not game changing recruits. They both needed time, and of course, better coaching.

Guys like Ahmed and Figueroa are a level down from that level, but they still played at around a top 100 level.

I’m not expecting anything in particular from Cole or Moore, but I am encouraged to hear that Wusu is physical. Artest is the gold standard on defense. He’ll even tell you that himself.

Let’s hope we have a season so we can finally be a balanced team that gets after it again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:25:37 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
Regarding the mechanics, is it the low shot release? That could be an issue during league play when the comp heats up. Everyone is athletic in the Big East. Btw, I hope you're right. Im just saying from twenty years in the 21st century, no JC transfer outside of Hatten has had the first year impact fans are looking for.

I haven't watched his tape in a while, but he moves his feet too much and his shot just looked awkward. It looks like he has a good feel on his releases and confidence in his shot, though, and that's more than half of the battle.

If he doesn't lead the team in scoring, we are in some trouble.

derk

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Cole has bruised knee so hasn't been practicing but looks like him and Moore will be backups to start the season.

Yes his JUCO status makes it harder to adjust , and he already has a bruised knee, and a thin frame.