Player development

• 17 replies

Poison

Player development
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »
For anyone concerned about a lack of star power in recruiting (I am but just less so now) when area coaches see kids like Julian Champagnie improve it earns CMA a respect that we haven’t had here in a long time.

The irony is something else. A coach with zero ties to NYC loads up the roster with local talent. That’s what Norm Roberts and Chris Mullin were hired to do. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:11:07 PM by Poison »

Re: Player development
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
For anyone concerned about a lack of star power in recruiting (I am but just less so now) when area coaches see kids like Julian Champagnie improve it earns CMA a respect that we haven’t had here in a long time.

The irony is something else. A coach with zero ties to NYC loads up the roster with local talent. That’s what Norm Roberts and Chris Mullin were hired to do.
CMA didn't really have this player development at Ark, but he was loyal to his staff there, and now that he let one go and one retired, he now has Van Macon, which is a great big man developer and Demeo who is a highly established JUCO head coach, these two play a huge role in development!

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
CMA didn't really have this player development at Ark, but he was loyal to his staff there, and now that he let one go and one retired, he now has Van Macon, which is a great big man developer and Demeo who is a highly established JUCO head coach, these two play a huge role in development!

I have no frame of reference, but I have seen improvement from Champ, obviously, and now Williams.

Roberts is concerning. As a junior, I expected him to be further along. There isn’t the time to let him continue to work out the kinks. He may end up buried on the bench with Caraher.

More significantly, will be how his players develop under his coaching. That is the key to success at our level.

Just like we’re not gonna land Omar Cook every year, we’re not gonna find a Julian Champagnie every time we grab an under the radar recruit. But I like our odds more with sleepers. Nothing else has worked.

Norm recruited kids like Coach Anderson, but look no further than Justin Burrell’s development freshman and sophomore year compared to Julian Champagnie’s - and JB was more talented.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:54:29 AM by Poison »

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »
Roberts was raw to begin with and is coming off a significant injury. Give him time.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
What is with you and crediting Anderson with player development? 3/4 of our best players have been brand new guys. Champ was awesome from the first jump ball as a freshman.

I’m all for giving credit to Anderson for getting guys he can use, but let’s take it easy on the development talk. His system can utilize raw players in a way other systems just can’t. It’s why whenever he adds someone like Moore or Wasu I say I don’t like it for any of our previous coaches/systems  but they can be used by Anderson.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:36:44 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
What is with you and crediting Anderson with player development? 3/4 of our best players have been brand new guys. Champ was awesome from the first jump ball as a freshman.

I’m all for giving credit to Anderson for getting guys he can use, but let’s take it easy on the development talk. His system can utilize raw players in a way other systems. It’s why whenever he adds someone like Moore or Wasu I day I don’t like it for any of our previous coaches/systems  but they can be used by Anderson.

Not wanting to change the subject but to your last point, which one of Mullins or lavins teams couldn’t have used Wusu or Moore?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »
Not wanting to change the subject but to your last point, which one of Mullins or lavins teams couldn’t have used Wusu or Moore?

I wouldn’t have wanted Moore on any of those teams except for depth — because neither coach could finish off a damnroster.

Wusu I do like as a depth guy, so he was probably a bad example. With him it’s a matter of degree...I think he can be a star with Anderson whereas his ceiling was 6th or 7th man with Lavin or Mullin. I like this type of player, though. I’ve always been partial to the strong, gritty, and less-heralded guys like Sharif Fordham. That is if they D-up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:41:59 PM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »

I’m all for giving credit to Anderson for getting guys he can use, but let’s take it easy on the development talk. His system can utilize raw players in a way other systems just can’t. It’s why whenever he adds someone like Moore or Wasu I say I don’t like it for any of our previous coaches/systems  but they can be used by Anderson.

That’s not how I remember it. Champ was benched mid-season last year, and rightfully so. When he returned to the starting line up he was a different player. This isn’t unusual at other colleges, but here it should be looked at as hard work paying off.

Don’t you agree?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
Roberts was raw to begin with and is coming off a significant injury. Give him time.

I’m rooting for him. We know we’ll need him at some point this season. I’m hoping he can get comfortable making one offensive move. I haven’t seen it yet. He can get there.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »
I wouldn’t have wanted Moore on any of those teams except for depth — because neither coach could finish off a damnroster.

Wusu I do like as a depth guy, so he was probably a bad example. With him it’s a matter of degree...I think he can be a star with Anderson whereas his ceiling was 6th or 7th man with Lavin or Mullin. I like this type of player, though. I’ve always been partial to the strong, gritty, and less-heralded guys like Sharif Fordham. That is if they D-up.

Unless you thought we were not lacking frontcourt size on Mullin's watch then I see no reason why you wouldn't want Moore. He's taller, longer and can rim rock unlike almost any of the players on the Mullin teams. And he should keep developing in Anderson's system.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
I think if you want to talk about player development I think you have to look at end of rotation guys too. Have they improved to be more impact? Guys like Caraher and McGriff. Or what about Sears?

I will say I think Anderson really extracted the most out of Nick Rutherford. Low key this team would be so much better with a player like him this year to complement Posh.

We have to look at whole picture
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 11:00:19 PM »
I think if you want to talk about player development I think you have to look at end of rotation guys too. Have they improved to be more impact? Guys like Caraher and McGriff. Or what about Sears?

I will say I think Anderson really extracted the most out of Nick Rutherford. Low key this team would be so much better with a player like him this year to complement Posh.

Off topic, but Dave do you still have those Christmas sweaters for sale?

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »

Rutherford was deployed well last year given what he could well and what he struggled with.  I think Dunn can be a better, more well-rounded version of that.

McGriff the jury is out with his injury history.

Sears didn't work.  It was worth the shot given our needs and the situation at the time.

Carraher - we'll see.  I thought he had nice moments last year.  I think he'll have some nice moments this year.  Does a lot of little things.  It is also apparent that, right now, he is beyond about 10 other guys given the new additions.

I think Earlington's development has been great.  I think Williams development has been steady and is continually trending upward from the second part of last year to present.  I think Roberts was developing nicely but his injury threw a monkey-wrench into that and it will take time.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 12:44:21 AM »

That’s fair.

Roberts, McGriff, Caraher, Sears and Rutherford are all different circumstances.

Rutherford and Sears were stopgaps. We’re sure of this because they’re both gone. Sears didn’t look like a BE player outside of maybe 12 minute against Arizona. But he barely played, so when was he supposed to work out the kinks? I think he’ll be good one level down. Caraher has barely played. This year. He doesn’t match up against athletes. This wasn’t a CMA recruit. From what I have seen of Caraher, he’s a hustler, but others have played better in the very limited sample we have so far. Like last year, I expect he’ll help us at some point. Roberts I had higher hopes for. He made some strides early last year, but then really regressed in conference play. I don’t know how you can be a junior big and have zero offensive moves that you’re comfortable going to, but that’s where Roberts is at now. McGriff is a great example of a kid who CMA should be on the hook to bring along because he picked him. Let’s see what Coach can do with him.

This team is deeper than any STJ team since 2010-2011. If David Caraher is our weakest link, that’s good news. He’s not incapable of helping us, and with Norm, Lavin and Mullin, we always had kids who were.

We barely won 2/3 of three games. Our depth has made that possible.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:17:46 PM by Poison »

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 12:56:37 AM »

Off topic, but Dave do you still have those Christmas sweaters for sale?

Yes here is the link - https://shop.johnnyjungle.com/products/christmas-time-in-queens
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
Anderson can use raw and inexperienced players well. That was literally the only thing all the Arkansas fans that came over here agreed on.

To credit Anderson for finding players that fit what he wants is fair. To say that he can be successful with less heralded players is also fair.

But to credit him with player development three games into a season where the best players have been newcomers Posh, Cole, Wusu, and Moore in addition to Champ and Williams is bizarre.

Teams will beat us if they can force us into half court sets. We will win if we can limit half court sets. We don’t have the skill to beat good teams in the half court and that can be seen anytime we have to inbound the ball in a tight spot.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Anderson can use raw and inexperienced players well. That was literally the only thing all the Arkansas fans that came over here agreed on.

To credit Anderson for finding players that fit what he wants is fair. To say that he can be successful with less heralded players is also fair.

But to credit him with player development three games into a season where the best players have been newcomers Posh, Cole, Wusu, and Moore in addition to Champ and Williams is bizarre.

Teams will beat us if they can force us into half court sets. We will win if we can limit half court sets. We don’t have the skill to beat good teams in the half court and that can be seen anytime we have to inbound the ball in a tight spot.
How much skill does it take to inbound the ball? Seems like what you need is to practice it and have a plan.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
How much skill does it take to inbound the ball? Seems like what you need is to practice it and have a plan.

The lack of inbounds plays is emblematic of bigger issues. We are not going to beat teams with X's and O's or skill. If we can't limit half court sets, we are screwed.

The one caveat I'll offer to the skill issue, is I do think Anderson purposely targets forwards with a little more ability in the open court than other coaches -- kids that can take a dribble or two in secondary transition or at least catch a less than perfect pass on the run and reorient their bodies to the basket to finish. So kids that normally fall into that nightmarish combo category can be of use for Anderson.