When do the excuses run out?

• 268 replies
When do the excuses run out?
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
So far Mike Anderson has gotten an unbelievable amount of passes.

- It's not his type of players
- Rankings don't matter because he can make them better
- The layoff time between games
- Need another year of recruiting
- Players play poorly its their fault, not coaching

The list goes on and on... When does he get held accountable for anything? Year 3? Year 4? Year 5?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:10:58 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: When do the excuses run out?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:02:48 PM »
Can't really answer because I cannot figure out your use of the word unreliable.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
Why are you so quick to rush to judgement on Anderson? He already has one winning season here in his first year. He's hit a rough patch this season. They've been in several tight games that didn't go their way

The last coach here was worse for most of his first 3 years and his teams were painful to watch outside of a few upsets. Yet I didn't see you calling him out, especially not after 1+ season.

I do have a problem with Anderson's lack of a half court offense, pick and rolls, and some other things. However I am not going to write him off after 1.5 seasons. That's impetuous at best.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 08:55:37 PM »
Why are you so quick to rush to judgement on Anderson? He already has one winning season here in his first year. He's hit a rough patch this season. They've been in several tight games that didn't go their way

Right, so quick to rush to judgment. You can gargle his balls all you want, but coach never has had a losing season is 6-18 in conference in two years, and it's not going to get better; he hasn't hit a rough patch this season: he's awful, his system is stupid, he has barely a clue as a coach, he's a shit recruiter and those are his better qualities. If it wasn't for complete dopes like Leitao and Ewing he'd be 1-23 in two years and that one win only because Steve Wojowitskiii is dumber than the other two.  They shouldn't fire him, they should hang him from Cragg's headless, crucified corpse on Utopia Turnpike. Good grief.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »

The last coach here was worse for most of his first 3 years and his teams were painful to watch outside of a few upsets. Yet I didn't see you calling him out, especially not after 1+ season.

I do have a problem with Anderson's lack of a half court offense, pick and rolls, and some other things. However I am not going to write him off after 1.5 seasons. That's impetuous at best.

You do realize Mullin walked into a completely bare roster, correct? He also had ZERO head coaching experience so obviously he should've been afforded more time.

A rough patch? Ha. The entire season has been a rough patch. They are one of the worst defensive teams in the entire nation,  he doesn't make any in-game adjustments, his rotations are inconsistent, and he seems disinterested this year.

Anderson also has the worst upcoming recruiting class in the Big East. His staff is underwhelming and isn't making any inroads with major talent.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:15:49 PM »

He inherited two all conference players from an NCAA tournament team. He was expected to win last year. Anyone would have.

His first two recruiting classes have been below average and his third class also projects to be.

I'm just asking when will people acknowledge the shortcomings and stop making excuses.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:27:14 PM »
he's bad, there's no excuses, he should be gone

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »

You’ve been verbally blowing this guy since day one and now you want to discourage people from judging him? Is this bizarro world?

Not only were you heaping unearned praise onto Anderson, but your entire identity since his hiring has become brawling with anyone who dared question him in any way.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 02:19:49 AM »
he's bad, there's no excuses, he should be gone

Do you remember the last search? We were a national embarrassment. Nobody wanted this job then. Who would take it now if we fired a guy with Anderson’s resume.

No coach should be fired after two seasons.

And how many times are we going to fire a coach before our fans admit that we are the problem?

If someone has 6 divorces in 25 years...the problem is them. I don’t think this is any different.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:06:50 AM »
Team reminds me of Mahoney years
Couple good parts that do not mesh well together along with shaky coach.
At this point we are like Game of Thrones. Longtime king- Targaryen’s =Louie Everyone after him sucked
Louie should have just burned down the program when he retired like Mad King wanted to.

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »

You do realize Mullin walked into a completely bare roster, correct? He also had ZERO head coaching experience so obviously he should've been afforded more time.

A rough patch? Ha. The entire season has been a rough patch. They are one of the worst defensive teams in the entire nation,  he doesn't make any in-game adjustments, his rotations are inconsistent, and he seems disinterested this year.

Anderson also has the worst upcoming recruiting class in the Big East. His staff is underwhelming and isn't making any inroads with major talent.

Zero head coaching experience? Then you don't hire the guy. This isn't CYO. This is the Big East. Mullin was a bad hire all the way around.

Anderson's barely implemented his system yet and his guys have barely played together. He hasn't had one full season with his guys and you're already giving up on him?

That's why this job is shitsville.

Johnny23

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
You’ve been verbally blowing this guy since day one and now you want to discourage people from judging him? Is this bizarro world?

Not only were you heaping unearned praise onto Anderson, but your entire identity since his hiring has become brawling with anyone who dared question him in any way.
[/b]

Haha stop projecting your own self identity onto others. I was here long before Anderson  and ain't going nowhere.

You're ready to give up on the guy that quick. And you wonder why this job is a dead end.  It's obvious by your posts that you just don't like him personally. I wonder for what reason(s).

Johnny23

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
He inherited two all conference players from an NCAA tournament team. He was expected to win last year. Anyone would have.

His first two recruiting classes have been below average and his third class also projects to be.

I'm just asking when will people acknowledge the shortcomings and stop making excuses.

I think we've all acknowledged hi shortcomings but are also giving him a normal amount of time to show progress. Half a season with his own players is not a normal amount of time to judge any coach in any sport.

Hate to break it to you but no big name is coming here. As I've said all along regarding Anderson I'll give him 3 years. If he doesn't have us in the tourney by then then it's probably time to move on. 

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
Right, so quick to rush to judgment. You can gargle his balls all you want, but coach never has had a losing season is 6-18 in conference in two years, and it's not going to get better; he hasn't hit a rough patch this season: he's awful, his system is stupid, he has barely a clue as a coach, he's a shit recruiter and those are his better qualities. If it wasn't for complete dopes like Leitao and Ewing he'd be 1-23 in two years and that one win only because Steve Wojowitskiii is dumber than the other two.  They shouldn't fire him, they should hang him from Cragg's headless, crucified corpse on Utopia Turnpike. Good grief.

And yet you said none of this about Mullin this early on in his tenure which record-wise was much worse than Anderson's at the same juncture in their SJU coaching careers.

Again he's only had all of his guys for half a season and you're ready to crucify him? Patience, grasshopper.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:41:01 PM by Johnny23 »

Poison

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
I think if it’s not clear that the team is moving in the right direction after next season, it’s ok to move on.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 12:55:49 PM »

What All Big East team did Heron make? Oh, he was supposed to make an all BE team, but he had an atrocious season. You don’t get credit because you were a pre-season pick. 

Poison

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »
Team reminds me of Mahoney years
Couple good parts that do not mesh well together along with shaky coach.
At this point we are like Game of Thrones. Longtime king- Targaryen’s =Louie Everyone after him sucked
Louie should have just burned down the program when he retired like Mad King wanted to.

Hate to say it, but I see Norm Roberts when we’re on offense, and Brian Mahoney when we’re on defense.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »

Haha stop projecting your own self identity onto others. I was here long before Anderson  and ain't going nowhere.

You're ready to give up on the guy that quick. And you wonder why this job is a dead end.  It's obvious by your posts that you just don't like him personally. I wonder for what reason(s).

Who am I giving up on, nice person? I am saying not to fire Anderson. I didn’t want any coach fired from Fran to Anderson besides that shitball Norm Roberts.

Whether or not someone was a good hire and whether or not they should now fired are two separate and distinct inquiries. Mullin was not a good hire, but he shouldn’t have been fired.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Not saying I want CMA fired, but I am impressed with Grasso. He recruited players that were better than ours to Iona. And it looks like he’s doing that at Bryant now, too.

I also like Holloway.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 04:42:59 PM »
And yet you said none of this about Mullin this early on in his tenure which record-wise was much worse than Anderson's at the same juncture in their SJU coaching careers.

Again he's only had all of his guys for half a season and you're ready to crucify him? Patience, grasshopper.

(a) Defend Anderson without mentioning Mullin. Pro tip: you can't.

(b)  Read for comprehension: I want to crucify Cragg, not Anderson.

(c) Mullin was 3-17 through 24 BE games, and finished 7-11 his second year after losing his best player. Anderson is 6-18 through 24 BE games and will have to go carry the one 6-6 to have a better record, all but one of those games against teams not called Depaul, six on the road. Barring a miracle he'll equal or worst Mullin's record through two years. And miracles on Utopia are hard to come by.

(d) He stinks.