Seeing the Big East how does our young talent compare?

• 43 replies
Re: Seeing the Big East how does our young talent compare?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 07:30:05 AM »
There is a very good chance we could have:

Big east Scoring leading and 1st team all big east player.

Rookie of year & Defensive player of the year

2 First team all freshmen. 

Return every player who plays significant min (except Dunn - even though he said he might come back) and have another year of Anderson recruits. The future seems bright for this team.

#beatprovidence

Poison

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:03 AM »
There is a very good chance we could have:

Big east Scoring leading and 1st team all big east player.

Rookie of year & Defensive player of the year

2 First team all freshmen. 

Return every player who plays significant min (except Dunn - even though he said he might come back) and have another year of Anderson recruits. The future seems bright for this team.

#beatprovidence

Still plenty of holes in Dunn’s game, but I give him credit for working on some of them. He’s passing much much better. His defense is great, and he’s become a good compliment to Posh in the backcourt. The pressure d they apply together has driven our success.

If he works on his three point shot this summer, he could be a valuable role player again.

The fact has he’s helping us win right now and he hasn’t made a three point shot all season is amazing. Defenses can give him three feet. They are, but he is getting better at moving the ball, and then moving without it.

Johnny23

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
We are winning so I don't want to critique too much but Dunn has gotten worse this season. His defense and rebounding last night were solid, however he missed way too many wide open jumpers. He had too many boneheaded turnovers, he dribbles dangerously into traps too often, and he doesn't finish drives the way he did last year. Again we have more options than we did last year so he's not to asked to do too much but I'd rather see Williams take more of his minutes at this point. Solid team player but not a huge ask to replace him next season.

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »

In lavins first year we had all those big wins and momentum seemingly on our side for close to 2 months. Towards the end of that stretch we beat Nova on the road in what was perhaps overlooked due to the previous big wins the team captured. However, that game showed just how much we had actually improved as a team. We weren't surprising a good nova team out of no where. We played our game and controlled it from start to finish.

The game last night reminded me of that. We didn't sneak up on nova, we simply played our game and they couldn't handle it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 09:41:12 AM »
We are winning so I don't want to critique too much but Dunn has gotten worse this season. His defense and rebounding last night were solid, however he missed way too many wide open jumpers. He had too many boneheaded turnovers, he dribbles dangerously into traps too often, and he doesn't finish drives the way he did last year. Again we have more options than we did last year so he's not to asked to do too much but I'd rather see Williams take more of his minutes at this point. Solid team player but not a huge ask to replace him next season.

It really is a shame Dunn cant knock down that elbow jumper but oh well. He plays hard defense and is seeing the court better. (Last night he played sloppy had some bad turnovers) I was talking with some of the guys last night and on the offense end Wusu is everything we wish Dunn could be. Wusu has a respectable jump shot and last night him making those two the nova defenders were biting on the shot fake and he would drive to the rim and go up strong or kick out. With Dunn teams know he has zero outside threat so where last year teams who never seen him, he was able to beat off dribble but now teams are giving him the space and he isnt getting to the rim as much anymore. He needs to continue to play hard defense be that senior leader and pass first guard.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 09:53:31 AM »

I don’t think he’s gotten worse. He’s making much better decisions with the ball overall. Cross court pass to Cole for three last night was sweet. The problem is as you said, is he shoots that jumper and it’s not a strength of his.

But where we really needed him to be strong, he has been. His defense has really been important part of this run. He hasn’t started with Posh for long, and despite his shortcomings with his jumper, it’s working.

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
I don’t think he’s gotten worse. He’s making much better decisions with the ball overall. Cross court pass to Cole for three last night was sweet. The problem is as you said, is he shoots that jumper and it’s not a strength of his.

But where we really needed him to be strong, he has been. His defense has really been important part of this run. He hasn’t started with Posh for long, and despite his shortcomings with his jumper, it’s working.

His minutes need to be cut in favor of wusu. I cringe every time he pulls up for a jumper. His D,however, has been great and his passing has improved. Makes poor decisions offensively

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »

His minutes need to be cut in favor of wusu. I cringe every time he pulls up for a jumper. His D,however, has been great and his passing has improved. Makes poor decisions offensively

He does make poor decisions. But at least now he’s also making some good ones, too. We’d all like to see him shoot that jumper less often.

Wusu is the future. He’s been great. Can’t wait for him to bust out a big scoring night.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 11:50:09 AM »
It really is a shame Dunn cant knock down that elbow jumper but oh well. He plays hard defense and is seeing the court better. (Last night he played sloppy had some bad turnovers) I was talking with some of the guys last night and on the offense end Wusu is everything we wish Dunn could be. Wusu has a respectable jump shot and last night him making those two the nova defenders were biting on the shot fake and he would drive to the rim and go up strong or kick out. With Dunn teams know he has zero outside threat so where last year teams who never seen him, he was able to beat off dribble but now teams are giving him the space and he isnt getting to the rim as much anymore. He needs to continue to play hard defense be that senior leader and pass first guard.

It’s an unfair comparison. If Dunn had Wusu’s control he would have been a lottery pick. They are polar opposites. There literally isn’t a defender in the country that could stop Dunn...he just does a lot of low # stuff because he’s going so fast and moves so explosively.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
It’s an unfair comparison. If Dunn had Wusu’s control he would have been a lottery pick. They are polar opposites. There literally isn’t a defender in the country that could stop Dunn...he just does a lot of low # stuff because he’s going so fast and moves so explosively.

His shooting %s really disagree with you. Give him 4 feet and most guys can stop him. His defense and decision making have improved noticeably this season. 

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
defenses have been doing the bare minimum and stopping Dunn on offense

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
His shooting %s really disagree with you. Give him 4 feet and most guys can stop him. His defense and decision making have improved noticeably this season. 

He stops himself with low % shots. He can get his shot off at will.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »
He stops himself with low % shots. He can get his shot off at will.

Come on man what does that even mean? He’s never shot better than 39% from the field in his career. What shot can he get at will worth taking. That’s like saying LJ could get his shot off at will cause he can get a low% 30 footer off whenever he wanted. Dunn is extremely fast and can get by most defenders when they are up on him. Unfortunately they rarely have a reason to do so.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »
Come on man what does that even mean? He’s never shot better than 39% from the field in his career. What shot can he get at will worth taking. That’s like saying LJ could get his shot off at will cause he can get a low% 30 footer off whenever he wanted. Dunn is extremely fast and can get by most defenders when they are up on him. Unfortunately they rarely have a reason to do so.

Don’t you get it? Dunn is Iverson.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2021, 12:06:45 AM »

Dunn can get a good shot off at will. He can't make them at a good clip, though. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing about. Wusu is a tremendously controlled and skilled player.  They are polar opposites. I was making a narrow response to the "Wusu is everything we wish Dunn would be" comment.  If Dunn had those attributes, he'd be a lottery pick.  Very few guys get both the electric quickness and control/skill. 

They seem like good complements to me.  You want a guy like Dunn to come off the bench and give instant energy, athletic ability, and a different pace.  You also want a kid like Wusu to settle things down and make heady plays and limit mistakes in close situations.

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 12:30:46 AM »
Dunn was great stopgap player. He's a good microwave guy that's capable of handling the ball. Less is more with him. He definitely has value to this team.

Wasu is so fun because he's just a matchup problem due to strength. He's a power guard. Rawle Alkins lite and that's a compliment.

Moore has been more serviceable than I expected but he needs to beef up and have the slightest commitment on defense.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2021, 03:42:05 AM »

Wasu is so fun because he's just a matchup problem due to strength. He's a power guard. Rawle Alkins lite and that's a compliment.

Moore has been more serviceable than I expected but he needs to beef up and have the slightest commitment on defense.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wusu is a better player as a junior than Alkins would have been if he returned to Arizona for that year.

Alkins was extremely advanced and was already so close to his ceiling. Wusu has a lot of room to go.

I am happy with Moore’s play since his suspension. His size and length were very noticeable on key rebounds in a crowd late. All I ask is for bigs to take care of the basics first and foremost.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 05:26:29 AM »
Dunn can get a good shot off at will. He can't make them at a good clip, though. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing about.

If he’s shooting it, then it’s probably not a good shot.

Wusu is my favorite player on the team. Sky is the limit for him. Between him and Greg I don’t know what to do.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 07:19:58 AM »
I agree Marillac Since the suspension Moore has been playing very well and shooting 72% from the field. He stopped forcing his shot and is playing better defense and rebounding.

Still don’t see what you see about Dunn getting shot off at will cause like previous poster said Teams are letting him shot because he can’t shot but your right wrong to compare Wusu and Dunn. Dunn has been doing other things well and has been thriving playing next to Posh

Think both he and wusu are going to be key this weekend guarding Duke. 

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 05:23:14 PM »
Towards the end of that stretch we beat Nova on the road in what was perhaps overlooked due to the previous big wins the team captured. 
Certainly no Johnny fans who've been here more than a NY minute overlook the surreal Sly Fox Inn bus trip game that successfully bridged the chasm between Redmen.com and JJ (er BEB?).
Ah the good ole days - I remember them well.