Poison

Evaluating progress
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
What say you board?

Marillac

Re: Evaluating progress
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:53:25 AM »
What say you board?

Are you all there? How could anyone being talking about progress right now? If we don’t make it to one side of the bubble or the other than there is no progress...only disappointment.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
Are you all there? How could anyone being talking about progress right now? If we don’t make it to one side of the bubble or the other than there is no progress...only disappointment.

We’re a Champagnie jumper away from a 3 game wining streak. If you don’t see progress during that time I don’t what to say to you.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
We’re a Champagnie jumper away from a 3 game wining streak. If you don’t see progress during that time I don’t what to say to you.

Or we're free throws away from losing two in a row. We beat a UConn team without their best player.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
Or we're free throws away from losing two in a row. We beat a UConn team without their best player.

I wonder, has St.John’s ever had to play Uconn while key player(s) was hurt? Good teams win close games. Over the course of the season, let’s see which one is happening more often.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:33:11 PM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
I believe we took a bigger step forward when Josh Roberts was put back on the floor in the middle. The best defensive presence on the team, not saying a great defensive presence, but best on the team.

It was wishful thinking to think a first year JUCO would replace the offensive and defensive production of Figueroa. Only one first year JUCO was capable of that, and that was Marcus Hatten earlier in the century.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 03:52:04 PM by braintrust »

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 02:17:38 AM »
After stating the obvious that evaluating progress mid-season is silly.

We earned an Ncaa tournament bid then returned two preseason all-conference players year one and suck year two.  Thus far I see no progress...only regression.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 04:20:08 PM »
I believe we took a bigger step forward when Josh Roberts was put back on the floor in the middle. The best defensive presence on the team, not saying a great defensive presence, but best on the team.

It was wishful thinking to think a first year JUCO would replace the offensive and defensive production of Figueroa. Only one first year JUCO was capable of that, and that was Marcus Hatten earlier in the century.

We had this juco guy in the 80s who actually who owned the Big East, and also the rest of America.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 07:49:00 PM »
We had this juco guy in the 80s who actually who owned the Big East, and also the rest of America.
I know, but trying to stay in modern history. The Truth was my boy.

We are twenty years into this century, and you can name the first year JUCO impacts on one hand; Bootsy, Hatten...the Baltimore guys. Brownlee, Hardy, Ahmed, Figgy are the next level for first year impact.

Good game today, nice to see Josh Roberts on the floor. Hopefully earns more minutes!

Poison

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:27:50 PM »
I know, but trying to stay in modern history. The Truth was my boy.

We are twenty years into this century, and you can name the first year JUCO impacts on one hand; Bootsy, Hatten...the Baltimore guys. Brownlee, Hardy, Ahmed, Figgy are the next level for first year impact.

Good game today, nice to see Josh Roberts on the floor. Hopefully earns more minutes!

I hear ya. I think Hardy and Brownlee were both playing at a First Team All BE level as seniors.

I’m hopeful that Moore and Cole understand they have to take their conditioning seriously. They do not have BE bodies, and it really shows.

Wusu is going to take minutes from guards and forwards if he continues to play aggressive bball.
If that is the kind of unknown player CMA gets, sign me up.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:35:31 PM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
I hear ya. I think Hardy and Brownlee were both playing at a First Team All BE level as seniors.

I’m hopeful that Moore and Cole understand they have to take their conditioning seriously. They do not have BE bodies, and it really shows.

Wusu is going to take minutes from guards and forwards if he continues to play aggressive bball.
Wusu was a real nice find, hopefully Pinzon is a notch above when he arrives and one of the two bigs gives us a Wusu surprise next season.

Poison, would you bring Dunn back with the COVID waiver? I would...although not sure about bringing Toro back. Sounds like Posh likes Dunn, kind of a big brother.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 11:45:09 AM »
Wusu was a real nice find, hopefully Pinzon is a notch above when he arrives and one of the two bigs gives us a Wusu surprise next season.

Poison, would you bring Dunn back with the COVID waiver? I would...although not sure about bringing Toro back. Sounds like Posh likes Dunn, kind of a big brother.
Not sure if you would bring Toro back? Have you watched him play this season or are you just into wasting scholarships? need some impact bigs and by that I mean a positive impact.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 12:40:35 PM »
Not sure if you would bring Toro back? Have you watched him play this season or are you just into wasting scholarships? need some impact bigs and by that I mean a positive impact.
I have, but I think there is a waiver next season, you can carry anyone over from this season because of covid. I know he's terrible, but he wouldn't be holding anyone back. CMA has his own two bigs coming in, and they will get the Toro minutes. He would be big of last resort, a body for practice.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
Saturday was the first full game I’ve watched this year. For a coach that wants teams to play fast, they’re pretty terrible at fast breaks. Maybe should bring Lavin on as a consultant.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 02:51:48 PM »
I have, but I think there is a waiver next season, you can carry anyone over from this season because of covid. I know he's terrible, but he wouldn't be holding anyone back. CMA has his own two bigs coming in, and they will get the Toro minutes. He would be big of last resort, a body for practice.
Rather have a crash car dummy-more active and eats less.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:52:10 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »

He wouldn’t count against our scholarship limit and if he wants to play it has to be at sju. So if he wants another year of college ball, 15th man at sju might be his only option, and if he’s willing to do that why wouldn’t SJU bring him back. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 04:28:27 PM »

I like Hsusususu long term, but honest question: how many coaches in the BE have been successful recruiting unknown players? I can think of none, as opposed to a bunch who've been unsuccessful recruiting known players, albeit the two I'm thinking of, Ewing and Laetio, are not good coaches. Second honest question: how much of Hsususu's success to the extent that he's been successful has to do with no one knowing who he is or caring what he does? I think a lot, because no one game plans two star eighth men. 

Poison

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »

Hard to say. I admire the kid’s hustle. From a pure balance pov, Dunn or McGriff probably have to go. I think both could bolt. Dunn will play overseas somewhere.

Ideally, McGriff shows us in the next two months why he should keep his ship. I don’t see it yet.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
I like Hsusususu long term, but honest question: how many coaches in the BE have been successful recruiting unknown players? I can think of none, as opposed to a bunch who've been unsuccessful recruiting known players, albeit the two I'm thinking of, Ewing and Laetio, are not good coaches. Second honest question: how much of Hsususu's success to the extent that he's been successful has to do with no one knowing who he is or caring what he does? I think a lot, because no one game plans two star eighth men. 

No one game planned for Postell in 1996.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 12:02:45 AM »

Two weeks ago you were posting about moving on from Anderson if he didn't right the ship.  I posted that we would win 3-4 in a row at some point this season and people would overreact.  Our fans are insane.  Here you are asking about progress?  There is no progress at this point.  We are the same as or worse than last year right now.  Just sit back and try not to put too much into everything.