The Impact on Recruiting

• 5 replies
The Impact on Recruiting
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:25:07 AM »
I think many of us can agree that Anderson has overachieved with these players the last couple seasons, many of whom were ranked no better than 3 stars on rivals during their recruitment. That is a testament to his good coaching. Moving forward with seeing the work that has been done, do you think this pushes us into the discussion for 4 and 5 star sure NBA types in the coming years? Or do you think he keeps with this under the radar, coach up approach to recruiting?

Johnny23

Re: The Impact on Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
Winning always helps recruiting, bottom line.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
I think many of us can agree that Anderson has overachieved with these players the last couple seasons, many of whom were ranked no better than 3 stars on rivals during their recruitment. That is a testament to his good coaching. Moving forward with seeing the work that has been done, do you think this pushes us into the discussion for 4 and 5 star sure NBA types in the coming years? Or do you think he keeps with this under the radar, coach up approach to recruiting?

Yes. With past coaches this happened in reverse order. We start with hype, but by year three we stop getting recruits. IDK if Coach Anderson has overachieved with his coaching. I think it’s more that his staff knew who to go after.

If you look around NYC, every year there are talented players that go unnoticed. If we’re good at finding them, it would be a refreshing change. Before Champ, the last sleeper NYC we found was Ty Grant.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:41:36 PM by Poison »

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:07:56 PM »
I think Mike"s recruting will mainly consist of 3 star players with A occasional highly rated player he has some connection too through past relationships, this has what he has done throughout his career, a few local kids who are fans of the college who rank high may sign as well. Mike will never bow to a highly ranked recruit to sign him, not his style, which means he want overly pursue a player who thinks he is the star.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:22:08 PM »
My biggest concern is simply consistently getting players of the current caliber. We haven’t had any level of that in a long time.

What kind of recruits was Shaka Smart getting at VCU towards the end? We have the bigger conference and bigger name/selling points, but it’s a similar style of play that doesn’t really lend itself to the highly rated guys who want to build their individual stock

Poison

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »
My biggest concern is simply consistently getting players of the current caliber. We haven’t had any level of that in a long time.

What kind of recruits was Shaka Smart getting at VCU towards the end? We have the bigger conference and bigger name/selling points, but it’s a similar style of play that doesn’t really lend itself to the highly rated guys who want to build their individual stock

The high school rankings are wrong sometimes, and we now have two incredible examples in Champ and Posh, and one damn good one in Wusu. Wouldn’t surprise me if all three incoming freshman are good next season. This staff has evaluated talent very well. I’m cool with trusting their judgement.

That said, we simply have more well rounded players than we did a season ago, and two seasons ago as well.

Moore started off chucking threes. Now he doesn’t take more than one a game. These guys seem more self-aware. If he starts to see his name in a solid position on a draft board, he should go. If he sees it nowhere, maybe he shouldn’t.

Curious, where are Justin Simon, Shamorie Ponds and Marcus Lovett playing now? Was leaving early the right decision for them? I hope they find places to play in countries they’d like to live in, too, but I wonder how self-aware they are now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:56:51 AM by Poison »