22-23 Championship Season

• 84 replies
Re: 22-23 Championship Season
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
What’s the point of your PF shooting threes? Who is going to rebound? Any coach in the conference would be  happy to give Wheeler 10 deep shots. That is a loss 9/10 for St. John’s.

I’m all for competent big men shooters taking open looks if they take care of their primary role. Wheeler was actually a really good offensive rebounder when he was inside.

Basketball isn't like this anymore. There aren't power forwards and small forwards and shooting guards like decades ago. There are basically three positions now: Point Guard, Wing, and Big. Wheeler is a Wing.

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2022, 03:12:33 PM »
Mathis is returning for another season. I’m not gonna knock any kid who hustles on defense.

I like Mathis. Him returning is a plus but there are too many similar pieces on this team. Non shooters that need the lane to get points. This staff really needs to recruit better.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 08:51:17 PM »
I like Mathis. Him returning is a plus but there are too many similar pieces on this team. Non shooters that need the lane to get points. This staff really needs to recruit better.

All true. Mathis improved some towards the end, but he can’t shoot the ball, and he can’t drive it either. He’s also a lousy passer, and an incredibly weak finisher at the rim.

That said, he’s a very good defender. I like him in a Bruce Bowen kind of role. Be a defensive stopper, and stop trying to be a scorer. You never know. He could get better.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 08:57:56 PM »
All true. Mathis improved some towards the end, but he can’t shoot the ball, and he can’t drive it either. He’s also a lousy passer, and an incredibly weak finisher at the rim.

That said, he’s a very good defender. I like him in a Bruce Bowen kind of role. Be a defensive stopper, and stop trying to be a scorer. You never know. He could get better.

What you see is what you get from him. He's a solid glue guy that will have his moments.

If it happens I'm not going to knock the addition of Curbelo, but again the problem is the rest of the roster. Way too mamy similar parts. If you start a team that has Posh, Curbelo, Mathis, Storr & Soriano who shoots the rock?  We were already the easiest team in the league to gameplan for according to coaches in the BE.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:02:06 PM by Redy2Rumble »

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 02:46:12 PM »
I'm still waiting for our dynamic Dukie Athletic Director to make some noise.  Do any of our teams, excluding men's basketball, have winning records.

It's time for him to get his feet off his desk and start working.  Pathetic.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 09:42:30 PM »
I'm still waiting for our dynamic Dukie Athletic Director to make some noise.  Do any of our teams, excluding men's basketball, have winning records.

He will point o the fencing team and women's volleyball. They are literally the only teams to do well since Cragg has been brought in. He gets a pass from clueless fans because he shakes hands and does twitter q&a's. Someone isn't an assistant for 30 years for no reason.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
Basketball isn't like this anymore. There aren't power forwards and small forwards and shooting guards like decades ago. There are basically three positions now: Point Guard, Wing, and Big. Wheeler is a Wing.

If you think Wheeler is a wing, you are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded. He turned the ball over 90% of the time he took more than 3 dribbles. Positions still matter in college.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2022, 11:11:03 PM »

St. John’s athletics have never been collectively worse than they are now. Even the baseball team is 11-17 after decades of winning. The boys over at RM don’t come up for air while polishing his knob. 

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2022, 11:19:55 PM »
Marquette landed Shaka Smart, Xavier got Miller back, Butler got Thad Matta back, and SH got Shaheen Holloway. Those are some monster coaches. Everyone is improving but St. John’s.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2022, 06:40:11 AM »
Speaking of great coaches, this is what winning looks like:

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 11:22:15 AM »
If you think Wheeler is a wing, you are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded. He turned the ball over 90% of the time he took more than 3 dribbles. Positions still matter in college.

Nope. Get out of the 1980s. Here, educate yourself:

https://medium.com/westcoastpostup/a-basketball-obituary-the-death-of-the-traditional-power-forward-9b028d722509

Foad

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »

https://medium.com/westcoastpostup/a-basketball-obituary-the-death-of-the-traditional-power-forward-9b028d722509

By Adam McQueen
45 Followers
Student at UBC

It's like citing Galileo, nearly.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 01:17:28 PM »

You must be a troll. You can’t possibly be this stupid and unlikable organically.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2022, 01:22:57 PM »
You must be a troll. You can’t possibly be this stupid and unlikable organically.

Don't underestimate him. It's entirely possible.

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »

Truly a beastly and timely article. Do you have anything more recent?
Ironically the 2022 championship game was literally a throwback to the 80's.  There you had prototypical point guard R.J. Davis going head to head against Remy Martin.
At the 5 you had traditional centers Bacot against McCormack. Christian Braun a prototypical small forward with range, etc.
There are actually few multi-position players in the LeBron and Magic mold. Today's players are more athletic and can shoot from deep but on the college level coaches are forced to play the hand they were dealt by their inability to put five players on the floor truly talented at their natural positions.
Say hello to our fellow RED fans on Better RED than Deadmen.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2022, 08:20:16 PM »
That was a non-surprising reaction to your outdated thinking being exposed.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9799167/traditional-positions-being-eliminated-college-basketball

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/sports/ncaabasketball/college-basketball-has-evolved-to-big-men-who-can-shoot.html

The Kansas big man, David McCormick, only shot 1 three all year and he averaged 3.1 offensive boards a game. He had 8 offensive rebounds on the road against St. John’s.

The UNC big man, Armando Bacot, made one three all season and averaged 4.2 offensive boards (13.9 total).

The Duke big man, Mark Williams, didn’t even attempt a three all season and averaged 2.6 offensive boards. His backup, Theo John, took one all year.

Nova’s starting center, Eric Dixon, averaged less than one attempt per game and 3.3 offensive rebounds.

They all made the Final Four. Tell me more about how positions don’t matter.

Aaron Wheeler took 3.5 threes per game and averaged less than one offensive rebound.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2022, 10:26:36 PM »
The Kansas big man, David McCormick, only shot 1 three all year and he averaged 3.1 offensive boards a game. He had 8 offensive rebounds on the road against St. John’s.

The UNC big man, Armando Bacot, made one three all season and averaged 4.2 offensive boards (13.9 total).

The Duke big man, Mark Williams, didn’t even attempt a three all season and averaged 2.6 offensive boards. His backup, Theo John, took one all year.

Nova’s starting center, Eric Dixon, averaged less than one attempt per game and 3.3 offensive rebounds.

They all made the Final Four. Tell me more about how positions don’t matter.

Aaron Wheeler took 3.5 threes per game and averaged less than one offensive rebound.

Wheeler is not a Big. Soriano shouldn’t be shooting threes. Wings like Wheeler shoot threes.