2-0 in the DR so far - TV link for tonight

• 12 replies

Poison

2-0 in the DR so far - TV link for tonight
« on: August 15, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
Johnnies play again tonight at 7pm. For those that would like to watch, here's a link to watch for free... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-eQ-APR0Udm64_bJ1Ra61w/videos

I watched some of both games. We've played some messy basketball, and this is supposedly our toughest opponent. Coach Anderson has played Storr and King pretty big minutes for freshman. At least it seemed that way. Keita is a big time WIP.

Re: 2-0 in the DR so far - TV link for tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 07:39:01 PM »
Everyone talking up all our players on TOS but based on what I have seen for 2 1/2 games we have another mediocre team on our hands.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 10:53:04 AM »
Everyone talking up all our players on TOS but based on what I have seen for 2 1/2 games we have another mediocre team on our hands.

Maybe, but I think this is a much deeper team. King and Storr look like BE players right now.
Still, a lot of sloppy play, but we should remember there's time to fix that.

Pinzon and Stanley looked improved overall. Jones will need some time to get used to the team. He looked like Bashir Ahmed Black Hole offense too often.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 10:56:47 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:49:01 PM »
The loss in game 3 really isn't a shocker.  Chris Duarte averaged 13 ppg for the Pacers last season and is significantly better than anyone we have.  DR also had Andres Feliz who average 11 ppg for Illinois a few years ago and a handful of other former contributors to decent college teams.  You have to assume they had significantly more practice and playing time as well.

Looks like Jones is going to be next in a long line of combo forwards that live on the perimeter and don't hit the offensive glass.  7/22 from deep in three games with only 3 total offensive rebounds.   Not good. If that continues, I'd like to see more Storr and Stanley at the 3 and 4 together.

Curbelo's stats were disappointing, but it's early.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »
The loss in game 3 really isn't a shocker.  Chris Duarte averaged 13 ppg for the Pacers last season and is significantly better than anyone we have.  DR also had Andres Feliz who average 11 ppg for Illinois a few years ago and a handful of other former contributors to decent college teams.  You have to assume they had significantly more practice and playing time as well.

Looks like Jones is going to be next in a long line of combo forwards that live on the perimeter and don't hit the offensive glass.  7/22 from deep in three games with only 3 total offensive rebounds.   Not good. If that continues, I'd like to see more Storr and Stanley at the 3 and 4 together.

Curbelo's stats were disappointing, but it's early.

Curbelo was visibly unhappy that King was called to run the offense when Posh got hurt. Jones didn't rebound, but other than Soriano, who is unrecognizable now, no one did.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 03:54:34 PM »
Maybe, but I think this is a much deeper team. King and Storr look like BE players right now.
Still, a lot of sloppy play, but we should remember there's time to fix that.

Pinzon and Stanley looked improved overall. Jones will need some time to get used to the team. He looked like Bashir Ahmed Black Hole offense too often.

Did Third Choice look improved overall? Because he's a huge part of the problem. Was there any indication he's going to abandon the antediluvian system that's led him to three NCAA tournament wins since 2011, which years include winning a whopping 41 percent of his BE games at SJU? Because the universally reviled Norm Roberts was 32 and 70, that's carry the one, 31 percent.

41 percent = Savior
31 percent = Satan

Prediction

This year Iron Mike Anderson leads St. John's to its first NIT victory since St John's beat St Joe's in 2013.

Put it in ink baby! Say what you will about Steve Lavin - and I have - at least he was smart enough to realize that if you're not Bobby Knight or Pete Carril you recruit the best players you can and let them play. Which makes Anderson just another Louie: he's got a system that's good enough to win enough to make himself look good while disappointing the fans. It's just all so boring. But of course it is because WE. ARE. SAINT. JOHNS.

ras

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »
Soriano looked like a beast. Curbelo disappointed. I think King was a steal and is going to be a nice 4 year player for us. Storr also looked good for a frosh.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »
Pete Carril

I hope I didn't kill this guy by mentioning his name.

Greatest coach I ever saw up close. The other four of the top five: Chuck Daly, Bill Musselman, Kevin Cluess, Jackie Moon.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T and R-I-P

Poison

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 12:59:55 AM »
Did Third Choice look improved overall? Because he's a huge part of the problem. Was there any indication he's going to abandon the antediluvian system that's led him to three NCAA tournament wins since 2011, which years include winning a whopping 41 percent of his BE games at SJU? Because the universally reviled Norm Roberts was 32 and 70, that's carry the one, 31 percent.

41 percent = Savior
31 percent = Satan

Prediction

This year Iron Mike Anderson leads St. John's to its first NIT victory since St John's beat St Joe's in 2013.

Put it in ink baby! Say what you will about Steve Lavin - and I have - at least he was smart enough to realize that if you're not Bobby Knight or Pete Carril you recruit the best players you can and let them play. Which makes Anderson just another Louie: he's got a system that's good enough to win enough to make himself look good while disappointing the fans. It's just all so boring. But of course it is because WE. ARE. SAINT. JOHNS.

The similarities to the Norm Roberts offense are alarming, but I think this group has more offensive talent than we’ve seen under Coach Anderson. The new guys aren’t liabilities like they were last year. With the exception of Keita, who is a big time project, all of the new guys can play.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 03:38:38 PM »
The similarities to the Norm Roberts offense are alarming, but I think this group has more offensive talent than we’ve seen under Coach Anderson. The new guys aren’t liabilities like they were last year. With the exception of Keita, who is a big time project, all of the new guys can play.

As bad as the half court offense is - and it's bad - the I think the half court defense is the problem. Break the press and get awarded a lay-up or an open three doesn't to me seem like a workable defensive scheme. A lot will depend on Soriano's commitment on that end.

The broader question: How many of these guys would you rather have Anderson than

Thad Matta   
Dan Hurley   
Greg McDermott   
Tony Stubblefield   
Patrick Ewing   
Shaka Smart   
Ed Cooley   
Shaheen Holloway   
Kyle Neptune   
Sean Miller

I can see Stubblefield and Ewing - although both are arguably better recruiters than IMA. Hurley maybe, I'm not sold on him, although again he's a better recruiter. And I'll throw in Kyle Neptune, because I've never heard of him, but whoever he is he's got the stink of Jay Wright on him and that'll sustain him for a while. That means Anderson's at best the seventh best coach in the league and probably among the three worst. If I didn't root for SJU to lose every game they play I'd be less than sanguine.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 11:35:51 AM »
As bad as the half court offense is - and it's bad - the I think the half court defense is the problem. Break the press and get awarded a lay-up or an open three doesn't to me seem like a workable defensive scheme. A lot will depend on Soriano's commitment on that end.

The broader question: How many of these guys would you rather have Anderson than

Thad Matta   
Dan Hurley   
Greg McDermott   
Tony Stubblefield   
Patrick Ewing   
Shaka Smart   
Ed Cooley   
Shaheen Holloway   
Kyle Neptune   
Sean Miller

I can see Stubblefield and Ewing - although both are arguably better recruiters than IMA. Hurley maybe, I'm not sold on him, although again he's a better recruiter. And I'll throw in Kyle Neptune, because I've never heard of him, but whoever he is he's got the stink of Jay Wright on him and that'll sustain him for a while. That means Anderson's at best the seventh best coach in the league and probably among the three worst. If I didn't root for SJU to lose every game they play I'd be less than sanguine.

Probably most of them. We don’t have the money that some of those programs have. We also don’t have their good judgement.

The team was pretty piss poor last season. If things don’t change this year, hopefully the university will move on.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »
The team was pretty piss poor last season. If things don’t change this year, hopefully the university will move on.

If Anderson's lost Poison, he's lost middle America. 

Poison

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 02:30:48 PM »
If Anderson's lost Poison, he's lost middle America. 

He hasn’t lost me yet, and lay off middle America. We may yet need them again for something.