Johnnies are on -Q-

• 32 replies

kjd01067

Johnnies are on -Q-
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=856747

Stacey Davis
RedStormReport.com Staff Writer

The next rising star of St John's is Quincy Roberts, from Harrisburg, PA.

Roberts is a player that captured the red storm's attention early last season as a high school player and he plans to make the jump from newcomer to stand-out player this season.

This season Robert's might just be the number one player to watch. RedStormReport.com caught up with Roberts at St John's Red Storm Tip-off and asked the incoming freshman what he will do to make the difference for his team. "I definitely think I can make an impact this year for the team, with my defense and scoring ability," said Roberts

How did he spend his summer? "I came on the St. Johns campus in July, and I have just been workout with my teammates I really like the NYC area," said Roberts

Roberts looks forward to being a big contributor to the team. "I think that I can come in and help the team out a lot, and help build the team."

When asked about why he chose St John's, the freshman responded, "I like the fact that the school is close to home, and the coach made me feel like part of the family when I came up on my visit."

Speaking of family, this season, Roberts will proudly carry with him into the Carnesecca Arena the spirit of his father, his biggest supporter in the stands cheering him on for his opening game. In August of 2007 Roberts tragically lost his beloved father who was his number one fan.

Last season, this all-state standout from Harrisburg High School led his Cougars team to the state tournament semifinal. He finished the season with a 73-16 record over his final three seasons.

Roberts averaged 18.5 points per game, 6.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists as a senior. He also earned a third-straight Mid-Penn all-conference selection, first team honors, and was named to the Harrisburg Patriot-News Big 15. Roberts is a dual-sport athlete, and competed as a quarterback and a wide receiver on the Harrisburg H.S. football team.

Re: Johnnies are on -Q-
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »
Oh lord.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
is stacey davis Oldred?

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
I am hoping Quincy can step in and help this team on the scoring end.  Does anyone else feel like either Quincy or Paris will get burried on the bench depending which one Norm decides to favor?  I hope this kid can shoot the deep ball because thats what the team is missing right now.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
Paris aint gonna be benched 'cause he play some mad D.
If anytin, Coach show that he value D.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »
is stacey davis Oldred?

hahaha they share about the same amount of passion about bumping into the guys but probably not for the same reasons.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
I am hoping Quincy can step in and help this team on the scoring end.  Does anyone else feel like either Quincy or Paris will get burried on the bench depending which one Norm decides to favor?  I hope this kid can shoot the deep ball because thats what the team is missing right now.

we can't bury either, we need both to play. Who else is there?

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
QR kind of reminded me a bit of a more polished Cedric Jackson. We'll see though its tough to gauge from the scrimmage I saw.

kjd01067

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »

Where are all the minutes coming from... At the 2/3 spots we have Mase, DJ, Horne, Paris, Quincy, Edmondson, Thomas?  You have to think Mase is playing at least 35 mins a game and DJ will get a bunch of minutes too.  So is Quincy going to play back up point and get his minutes there or is he going to be fighting with the rest of the guys for minutes at the 2/3 spots.  I think we need both guys to get serious minutes so how do you guys see the minutes breaking down by position?

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »

Where are all the minutes coming from... At the 2/3 spots we have Mase, DJ, Horne, Paris, Quincy, Edmondson, Thomas?  You have to think Mase is playing at least 35 mins a game and DJ will get a bunch of minutes too.  So is Quincy going to play back up point and get his minutes there or is he going to be fighting with the rest of the guys for minutes at the 2/3 spots.  I think we need both guys to get serious minutes so how do you guys see the minutes breaking down by position?

Well first I'm either giving the minutes to Horne or Paris.  There just aren't enough minutes for them to both play. 

But seriously, you are correct in that DJ and Mase will likely start at 2/3 leaving only about 30-35 mins for the rest of those guys.  However Thomas will get some mins at 4 and Edmundson, who I see getting limited mins this year anyway, will get some at 1.  As the season progresses unless either Paris or Q show some ability to play, and most importantly defend, the 3 then maybe DJ moves to predominantly backup Mase at the 3 and then there's more mins at the 2 for Paris and Quincy to share.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »

We have to hope that either Roberts or Edmonson can run it, because there isn't anyone else on this roster who can.
You listed a lot of players, but how many them can consistantly score the ball? That's who should play.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
here's what I think offhand:

Burrell: 30 mins
Mason: 34 mins
TJ: 7 mins (until Wait and Coker leave him waving the towel on the bench)
Kennedy: 25 mins
Boothe: 30 mins (he probably shouldn't play this much, but the other options...)

Horne: 20 mins
Coker: 15 mins
Evans: 11 mins
Thomas: 12 mins
Edmondson: 8 mins
Roberts: 6 mins
Wait: 5 mins

I mean, I don't know.  I think if Coker can handle his business down low, TJ, and either Thomas or Evans should be stuck to the bench.  Neither scored at all last year; will one or both be better?  If so, then Burrell might get a few less minutes.  Heck, maybe Mase will be on the bench a little longer.

The team's overloaded with mediocre or unproven forward/ centers, and needs more ball handlers and shooters in the backcourt.  Any indication that Q can bring the ball up and get the team into a set would be welcome, since he has a better rep as a shooter.  But we don't know until we see these guys play.  At the levels they scored last year or even with some slight improvement... we actually have a worse scoring team than before.  I think they'll improve, but they'll have to improve a lot to make this team a better scoring offensive squad.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
The biggest question is who will see time at the point.  Without seeing Edmondson or Roberts except on video clips...the best to handle the point is porbably Horne.  If Horne does run the point he'll definitely need to lean on Kennedy and Mason.

PG Boothe 30/Horne 5/Edmondson 5
SG Horne 15/Mason 10/ Roberts 10 /Kennedy 5
SF Mason 20/Thomas 5/Kennedy 15
PF Burrell 20/Thomas 10/Evans 10
C  Coker 15/Burrell 10/ Evans 5/ TJ 5/Wait 5

PG  Boothe and who else?  Lets hope Horne was working on his ballhandling.  I don't see Ty being ready and Roberts doesn't look like a PG.

SG  Horne has a chance to get time here unless coach moves Mason to SG and Kennedy to SF more.  I'm hoping Roberts can shoot and can provide some impact his Freshman year.

SF Mason and Kennedy.  Will Thomas be able to log some minutes here?  If Thomas is healthy we need to find him some minutes.  He has ball skills that most of our players don't have.

PF JB backed up by Thomas and Evans

C I see center by committee with Coker getting the most minutes.  But I see JB playing center to make room for Thomas at the PF spot assuming he can't transition to the SF spot.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:23:01 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
The biggest question is who will see time at the point.  Without seeing Edmondson or Roberts except on video clips...the best to handle the point is porbably Horne.  If Horne does run the point he'll definitely need to lean on Kennedy and Mason.

SG Horne 10/Mason 5/
SF Mason 25/Thomas 5/Kennedy 10

PG  Boothe and who else?  Lets hope Horne was working on his ballhandling.  I don't see Ty being ready and Roberts doesn't look like a PG.

SG  Horne has a chance to get time here unless coach moves Mason to SG and Kennedy to SF more.  I'm hoping Roberts can shoot and can provide some impact his Freshman year.

SF Mason and Kennedy.  Will Thomas be able to log some minutes here?  If Thomas is healthy we need to find him some minutes.  He has ball skills that most of our players don't have.

C I see center by committee with Coker getting the most minutes.  But I see JB playing center to make room for Thomas at the PF spot assuming he can't transition to the SF spot.

Good post (assuming you're filling in Kennedy for the remainder of the time at the SG spot).  I hope Horne can handle the point for a few minutes without turning the ball over every possession.  I think early on, Boothe may play fewer minutes as Norm sorts out his rotation.  Or Mase plays fewer minutes.  But as time goes on, either Q or Edmondson have to log some DNPs along with TJ.  Horne and Mase are the only guys who can shoot from the outside, based on last year!  Hopefully Thomas can as well, his jumper looked nice in limited time last year.

kob24

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Yo theo when did stacy start writing for St.johns

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
Good post (assuming you're filling in Kennedy for the remainder of the time at the SG spot).  I hope Horne can handle the point for a few minutes without turning the ball over every possession.  I think early on, Boothe may play fewer minutes as Norm sorts out his rotation.  Or Mase plays fewer minutes.  But as time goes on, either Q or Edmondson have to log some DNPs along with TJ.  Horne and Mase are the only guys who can shoot from the outside, based on last year!  Hopefully Thomas can as well, his jumper looked nice in limited time last year.

I just went back and edited the SG spot.  I agree with you but I see Mase more as a SG than Kennedy.

I'm looking forward to see the new guys play.  I think we at least have a group that will play hard for 40 minutes.  Hopefully Norm lets them run a little to make things a little more exciting.

I'm really hoping Q. Roberts can provide 10-15 minutes of shooting off the bench once Big East play comes around. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »

SG Horne 10/Mason 5/

Here is my opinion:

PG: Boothe 25 to 30 mins / Some combo of Edmondson/Kennedy/Horne for the remainder
SG: Horne 15 to 20 mins / Combo of Kennedy/Mase/Roberts for the remainder
SF: Mase 25 mins / Combo of Kennedy and Roberts for the remainder
PF: Burrell 25 to 30 mins / Evans and Thomas backing him up
C: Coker 20 mins (hopefully --- probably more like 15 to 20)/ Evans and Wait 10 mins each (I agree with Burrell moving to Center to make some time for Evans and Thomas "IF" we are playing a small team)

IN SUMMARY:

Burrell: 25 to 30 mins
Mase: 25 to 30 mins
Boothe: 25 to 30 mins
Kennedy: 20 to 25 mins (playing the 6th man role)
Evans: 15 to 25 mins (playing the 7th man)
Horne: 15 to 25 mins
Coker: 15 to 20 mins
Roberts: 5 to 20 mins
Wait: 5 to 15 mins
Thomas: 5 to 20 mins (if he is healthy and playing well... more like 10 to 20)
Edmondson: 5 to 15 mins
TJ: Garbage Time

T.Jasilonis gets garbage time. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »

SG Horne 10/Mason 5/

Here is my opinion:

PG: Boothe 25 to 30 mins / Some combo of Edmondson/Kennedy/Horne for the remainder
SG: Horne 15 to 20 mins / Combo of Kennedy/Mase/Roberts for the remainder
SF: Mase 25 mins / Combo of Kennedy and Roberts for the remainder
PF: Burrell 25 to 30 mins / Evans and Thomas backing him up
C: Coker 20 mins (hopefully --- probably more like 15 to 20)/ Evans and Wait 10 mins each (I agree with Burrell moving to Center to make some time for Evans and Thomas "IF" we are playing a small team)

IN SUMMARY:

Burrell: 25 to 30 mins
Mase: 25 to 30 mins
Boothe: 25 to 30 mins
Kennedy: 20 to 25 mins (playing the 6th man role)
Evans: 15 to 25 mins (playing the 7th man)
Horne: 15 to 25 mins
Coker: 15 to 20 mins
Roberts: 5 to 20 mins
Wait: 5 to 15 mins
Thomas: 5 to 20 mins (if he is healthy and playing well... more like 10 to 20)
Edmondson: 5 to 15 mins
TJ: Garbage Time

T.Jasilonis gets garbage time. 
Just want to say that Norm will probably start Kennedy over Horne.  Kennedy has that hustle he seems to like, and he's "been through the wars" or something or other.  I think he liked bringing in Horne as a sparkplug/ defensive hole-plugger.

They have to get Horne and Burrell in the open court more.  If it were me, I'd start the better ball-handler at the 2G and hope it was Kennedy - per minute, he was one of the team's best rebounders (only Coker was better.  But he couldn't stay on the floor).

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 07:02:03 PM »
I'm very curious to see the adjustments that Norm makes to the rotation this year. We could determine minutes and to a degree we might find some type of formula however from game to game its going to vary. Injuries, foul trouble, etc.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
I remember the CTK-Harrisburg game a few years ago.  The Harrisburg guards were more than Boothe and Walker could handle, but I don't think Q was one of them.  I think he was frimly on the bench then.  Can anybody confirm this?

Also, I just don't see anybody taking minutes away from Kennedy.  Norm seems to love his style of play.  It'll make things interesting for sure as we don't really have a pure SG on the roster and both Kennedy and Mason seem better suited for SF.