Never thought I would live to see this Day

• 51 replies
Re: Never thought I would live to see this Day
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
I think its a great accomplishment that this is our first black president however I'm not sure how I feel about the media playing it up. I think its great to acknowledge it however I don't think it should be the main focus of reporting. In this day and age it shouldn't matter what his color is. I feel the same way about affirmative action and black history month as well.

Blacks fought hard to be on the same level as whites(in terms of human rights). Affirmative action doesn't put people on an equal plane nor does focusing 1 month out of 12 to acknowledge black history either. I know this has been brought up in other threads but I think we should all compete equally for jobs and I think we should celebrate black history every month as its history not just black history.

I'm looking forward to the speech coming up. Hopefully this is the change we need!

I guess you don't realize how big this is considering this country's racial history.  No problem with playing up that angle because it is Huge.  Its symbolizes a big turning point for our country.  This country has made good strides as far as race is concerned but this is a big symbol on how far we've come.

In a perfect world you're right affirmative action creates preferences based on race.  But affirmative action was set in place to create opportunity for minorities that weren't there before.  At some point affirmative action needs to go away but if it was never put in place then what?  There was inequality in our country and something needed to change.  Affirmative action wasn't the perfect solution but it sure did help.

As for black history month, again in a perfect world there would be no need for it.  It started because they were not included in our history books.  Now I haven't taken a history class in a while and they should be included now.  And hopefully its not just a chapter dedicated to blacks and they are included like everyone else.  But again it was a problem and while black history month wasn't a perfect solution it sure did help.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
this is a great day for america.  a great day to be proud of our country.

I agree.  I'm a McCain supporter but I can't help feeling proud of our country.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Also where do the news get all these voting stats from? 90% of whites vote for McCain, 40% of whites who make less than 50k voted for Obama, 90% of blacks voted for Obama, 90% of new voters voted for Obama, etc.(these stats are made up by me however I've heard similar examples on the news)
exit polling.  it's usually pretty accurate.

In my voting district there are signs everywhere that its illegal to do this. You are not allowed to stand or loiter outside at all.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »
Aside from being excited about the election result, I was also moved by McCain's concession speech. Grace and class all the way -- the John McCain that perhaps got buried in the rhetoric of the campaign.
As someone on another board suggested, he would be an excellent choice for a position in Obama's cabinet (Secretary of Defense?). Besides easing some of the bad blood following an election of this nature, McCain would bring an incredible amount of experience and honor to the Obama cabinet. It would be another wonderful step for our nation.

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
congrats obama. historic! i hope this event will not allow african americans to use race as an excuse for anything anymore in this country.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:52:48 AM by NYCbuckeye »

sjd8886

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »
I hope we can just start calling Obama an "American"

What do you currently call him (other than the N word), because the last time I checked he is an American.

Never called anyone the N word,so check yourself. Is he African or American? . OR is it the Kenyan African American President from Illinois. Now he is the AMERICAN PRESIDENT.

I'm actually going to just go ahead and not believe you because half of your posts have a racist tinge.

And the only thing worse than a racist is a closet racist. You should try growing a sac and just admit that you are.

YEA, u racist hata cracka :)

sjd8886

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
btw, for the people who couldnt pick up on it, thats sarcasm

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
Also where do the news get all these voting stats from? 90% of whites vote for McCain, 40% of whites who make less than 50k voted for Obama, 90% of blacks voted for Obama, 90% of new voters voted for Obama, etc.(these stats are made up by me however I've heard similar examples on the news)
exit polling.  it's usually pretty accurate.

In my voting district there are signs everywhere that its illegal to do this. You are not allowed to stand or loiter outside at all.

Long as you 100 feet away from the polls (in most states), y'all can talk, survey or campaign  to whoeva you want.  
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
This is a shocker for me for two reason , Obama would of won without the African/Carribean American vote & How Hispanics voted for someone with  Africa ancestry

I will have to change how I look at the world after last night
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:17:58 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »
congrats obama. historic! i hope this event will not allow african americans to use race as an excuse for anything anymore in this country.
Yeah, all racism/ bigotry/ inequality has been eradicated  ::).  No offense, NYCB, race is still a factor in American life - events help dampen that down, but will not singularly change the way some people look at black people.  Obama didn't part the water and lead his (1/2!) people to the promised land, and that's not his job.  Condi Rice and Colin Powell's achievements didn't erase racism either.

And everyone has excuses.  Repubs were blaming the entire financial crisis on equal housing opportunity legislation; McCain supporters talk about the "liberal media," excuses all.

Again - historic moment, and I hope it leads to change, a more tolerant nation, and people who are more actively working to overcome adversity to reach better outcomes.  But all those things are still going to take work.

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Yeah, all racism/ bigotry/ inequality has been eradicated  ::).  No offense, NYCB, race is still a factor in American life - events help dampen that down, but will not singularly change the way some people look at black people.  Obama didn't part the water and lead his (1/2!) people to the promised land, and that's not his job.  Condi Rice and Colin Powell's achievements didn't erase racism either.

And everyone has excuses.  Repubs were blaming the entire financial crisis on equal housing opportunity legislation; McCain supporters talk about the "liberal media," excuses all.

Again - historic moment, and I hope it leads to change, a more tolerant nation, and people who are more actively working to overcome adversity to reach better outcomes.  But all those things are still going to take work.

you can never eradicated the racism/bigotry/inequality that has occurred, but CHANGE is here. so lets move forward and quit the BS. from a career perspective black men have proven they can obtain any profession. PERIOD. so no more oppression, glass ceiling, politics, talk. there are no more excuses.

pmg911

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
No offense, NYCB, race is still a factor in American life - events help dampen that down, but will not singularly change the way some people look at black people. 

Nor will it change how some black people look at white people...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

you can never eradicated the racism/bigotry/inequality that has occurred, but CHANGE is here. so lets move forward and quit the BS. from a career perspective black men have proven they can obtain any profession. PERIOD. so no more oppression, glass ceiling, politics, talk. there are no more excuses.

You can't eradicate the bigotry that's still in people with a moment.  Hopefully people's minds are changing, but I can't agree with your "period."  If you believe there was racism a day before yesterday, why would 52% of the popular vote convince you that it's gone?  How does one man's effort mean everyone who identifies as black can reach the heights of any profession?

Whether or not voters and policy-makers agree that we're post-racism, it's important for anyone who wants to achieve something for themselves to work their tails off and not accept failure; that's been true in the past and it'll be true today and tomorrow.  Excuses never got someone hired, and excuses never paid the bills.  All I'm saying is that Obama's election is a great moment, but doesn't mean race is no longer a factor.

It is a sign that it's a factor that can be overcome, and that it isn't a crushing factor for capable people who identify as black (or anything out of the plural mainstream, or who don't look like "real America").  Just because Hillary almost got the Democratic nod, and just because Sarah Palin was a popular figure as a VP candidate doesn't mean that there isn't a glass ceiling for capable women.  And to be fair, I don't think people should make excuses either (and I don't know these excuse-makers), that's not how I was raised.  And I think inequality should be analyzed/ addressed based on economic levels rather than race.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
No offense, NYCB, race is still a factor in American life - events help dampen that down, but will not singularly change the way some people look at black people. 

Nor will it change how some black people look at white people...

That is true as well, but NYCB's post referred to African-Americans.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:56:41 AM by peter »

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
i never said race was never a factor. i was implying that from a career perspective, the EXCUSE of being black cannot be in the cards any longer.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:30:10 PM by NYCbuckeye »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
i never said race was never a factor. i was implying that from a career perspective, the EXCUSE of being black cannot be in the cards any longer.
Ah, I missed the implication.  We're not far off in our views on this.

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
i see a actually mentioned "anything anymore" in my first post, but referred to career perspective later.....

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:26 PM »
Aside from being excited about the election result, I was also moved by McCain's concession speech. Grace and class all the way -- the John McCain that perhaps got buried in the rhetoric of the campaign.
As someone on another board suggested, he would be an excellent choice for a position in Obama's cabinet (Secretary of Defense?). Besides easing some of the bad blood following an election of this nature, McCain would bring an incredible amount of experience and honor to the Obama cabinet. It would be another wonderful step for our nation.

It is ironic that last night was the first time I felt like I saw the real John McCain since he wrapped up the nomination and was pushed to spend the rest of the campaign "shoring up the base" by the Rove/Schmidt faction.

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
The greatest reward for America today is to look at person character more than their status in life. We were bless to find a person who spoke with honesty and stayed to his message. That America has to look within itself to change. No one else can change the furture of this country without willingly allowing our will to accept this change. We have to believe that we are people of human goodness not of individual greed and hostility. I am proud man today because we choose an individual who saw something more in us as American than anyone can believe. The American creed that all man is create equally is the foundation of America. Thank You Obama for opening the doors that we have kept shut these past few years. America will be a palace again. Also, our differences are well known however our similaraties are no given. Open yourself to something that will best describe our humanity.

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »

i was also proud of mccain when he gave his concession speech.  he won't get a cabinet seat...but he'll offer plenty as a senior statesman.  this is a man who loves his country.