Levance wanted to come to St Johns?

• 22 replies
Levance wanted to come to St Johns?
« on: November 16, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/11/15/healthy-fields-says-he-considered-st-johns/#more-6973

It’s been hard, pretty much, for guys to go there,” Fields said. “I was close to going to St. John’s, I really wanted to go to St. John’s, but the situation they were in and the way the program was going. That’s no shot at Norm Roberts. I think he’s a great guy and I still speak to him today. I still think sometimes, what if I was at St. John’s? It’s just tough. There’s not a lot of winning going on and guys want to go where they’re going to have a chance to go to the NCAA and things of that nature.”

St. John’s recruiting situation is looking up now that the Red Storm secured commitments from guards Omari Lawrence of South Kent (Conn.) and Dwight Hardy of Indian Hills Community College (Iowa).

The Johnnies have one scholarship remaining for next year and hope to land Brooklyn Lincoln star Lance Stephenson.

Stephenson won’t commit in the early signing period (Nov. 12-19) and is considering St. John’s, Kansas, Memphis, USC and UCLA.

sjd8886

Re: Levance wanted to come to St Johns?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »
saw this the other day when it was posted on zags...we all knew this before but its still a hard one to take, hearing it straight from the horse's mouth...its actually amazing the recruits we've gotten considering the losing and the bad press...norm must really be a great recruiter...after fridays game it seems he still cant coach though

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/11/15/healthy-fields-says-he-considered-st-johns/#more-6973

It’s been hard, pretty much, for guys to go there,” Fields said. “I was close to going to St. John’s, I really wanted to go to St. John’s, but the situation they were in and the way the program was going. That’s no shot at Norm Roberts. I think he’s a great guy and I still speak to him today. I still think sometimes, what if I was at St. John’s? It’s just tough. There’s not a lot of winning going on and guys want to go where they’re going to have a chance to go to the NCAA and things of that nature.”

St. John’s recruiting situation is looking up now that the Red Storm secured commitments from guards Omari Lawrence of South Kent (Conn.) and Dwight Hardy of Indian Hills Community College (Iowa).

The Johnnies have one scholarship remaining for next year and hope to land Brooklyn Lincoln star Lance Stephenson.

Stephenson won’t commit in the early signing period (Nov. 12-19) and is considering St. John’s, Kansas, Memphis, USC and UCLA.

Russell Robinson also had a simlilar quote about transferring.  Something along the lines of "You don't know how close I came to going back home." 

I had Levance's coach, Jack Alesi, pass along a letter I wrote to Fields about coming to St. John's.  I was convinced it was going to sway him, but I was young.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:05:59 PM »

Russell Robinson also had a simlilar quote about transferring.  Something along the lines of "You don't know how close I came to going back home." 

I had Levance's coach, Jack Alesi, pass along a letter I wrote to Fields about coming to St. John's.  I was convinced it was going to sway him, but I was young.

Do you still have that letter? Post it here

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »
Who cares about the "what if" we could hammer a million scenarios of guys who could have come here, wanted to, had interest in. Point is it didn't happen.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
Who cares about the "what if" we could hammer a million scenarios of guys who could have come here, wanted to, had interest in. Point is it didn't happen.

amen

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »

easy to say now. he wanted to, but he couldn't. no balls. 

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »

Do you still have that letter? Post it here

I posted it on Redmen.com at the time and Alesi's e-mail to me.  If you can dig it up, I don't have a problem with you posting it here.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »

I wouldn't say he had no balls. I think he made a pretty good decision. We wouldn't have been post season eligible for his first year so nor would we have made it anyways. Sitting on Pitt's bench was definitely the better decision for him personally.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »

I wouldn't say he had no balls. I think he made a pretty good decision. We wouldn't have been post season eligible for his first year so nor would we have made it anyways. Sitting on Pitt's bench was definitely the better decision for him personally.

we were post season eligible fields' freshman year.
and for the record, we beat pitt that year.

kid is full of it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:52:57 PM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 10:56:01 PM »
Its all water under the bridge now.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »
and for the record, we beat pitt that year.
kid is full of it.

I'm nowhere as most here with stats, but even I was wondering if that wasn't the year that we beat Pitt at the garden when they were unbeaten and ranked #7 in the country?

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »
If Matt Doherty had gotten the job, LeVance would have come to St. John's....

LeVance was/is very close to Terence Mullin and Terence would have been on Doherty's staff here...

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »

LeVance was/is very close to Terence Mullin and Terence would have been on Doherty's staff here...

Would that have held true if Norm hired Mullin?   I can't believe how poorly Norm played the game when he first got here wth regards to the staff.  He's now just learning with Young and Oz, but it's probably too late.  Mullin should have been apart of this staff.

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »

Would that have held true if Norm hired Mullin?   I can't believe how poorly Norm played the game when he first got here wth regards to the staff.  He's now just learning with Young and Oz, but it's probably too late.  Mullin should have been apart of this staff.

I would have to say yes...    remember. .Terence was comign from Xaverian as well...

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »
Norms first mistake was his choice of assistants. Think maybe Chris Taft would have came to SJU as well?

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »

Would that have held true if Norm hired Mullin?   I can't believe how poorly Norm played the game when he first got here wth regards to the staff.  He's now just learning with Young and Oz, but it's probably too late.  Mullin should have been apart of this staff.

I would have to say yes...    remember. .Terence was comign from Xaverian as well...

You really show time and time again how great your hindsight is.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »
Norms first mistake was his choice of assistants. Think maybe Chris Taft would have came to SJU as well?

whatever happened to chris taft?

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »
all can be forgiven if lance signs and plays next year, i will give norm 1 more year.

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »

You really show time and time again how great your hindsight is.

The resident dictator setting a fine example for the other posters by starting an argument...

We could get into it but you would just delete the posts and tell everyone you didn't want to clutter up the board...   

Johnny Jungle. .  THE LAND of JJ and his followers...