Red Shirt Wait?

• 25 replies

pmg911

Re: Red Shirt Wait?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »
Jeremy Hazzell will be 42 years old next year

Hazell is a 22 year old soph--that's not too bad. 

in reality, its horrendous...     at a minimum he should be senior @ 22...     just because kids in college basketball today a re a little older doesn't make it right...   

some kids, like Mike Cavataio for example, are at a major disadvantage because they are the right age for a Frosh and are competeing against other "Freshman" who are  2 - 3 years older than he is...

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »
d j kennedy is only 18 right now i believe. thats for years difference. i know we have some of those players to
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
Jeremy Hazzell will be 42 years old next year

Hazell is a 22 year old soph--that's not too bad. 

in reality, its horrendous...     at a minimum he should be senior @ 22...     just because kids in college basketball today a re a little older doesn't make it right...   

some kids, like Mike Cavataio for example, are at a major disadvantage because they are the right age for a Frosh and are competeing against other "Freshman" who are  2 - 3 years older than he is...

How does this happen? Are their parents waiting until they are 7 or 8 to enroll them in kindergarten? Are they getting left back two and three times? And how are the legitimately taking college courses if they did get left back that many times? Or are they being held back strictly for basketball purposes in the majority of the cases?

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
Maybe these kids didn't have the educational or family support to enter college on time. Some kids develop slower than others. I agree people are trying to gain a competitive advantage by holding their children back a year and sometimes 2 but if this is these kids' ticket to higher education than so be it and I'm all for it. In the end only a small percentage of division 1 basketball players wind up graduating to go onto play professional ball and if they do it isn't for too long.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
The whole Prep school thing seems shady to me. Im sure there are some good ones that help kids out academically, but something doesnt seem right about them

pmg911

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »

How does this happen? Are their parents waiting until they are 7 or 8 to enroll them in kindergarten? Are they getting left back two and three times? And how are the legitimately taking college courses if they did get left back that many times? Or are they being held back strictly for basketball purposes in the majority of the cases?

1. this could be legitimate reason. .  outside of NYC most parents today will keep their children, especially  boys, back a year if they are born after July 1st...    so some of the kids that are one year older had no say in the matter...

2. Today, kids are being held back in grammar school, on purpose, to gain an advantage atheltically..    this happens all the time in south for football and is happening more frequently for basketball...

3. Lastly...  and sadly..   a lot of the inner city kids today are under educated and can't make the grades needed to get past the NCAA Clearinghouse...   and instead of being a Prop 48, remember that rule, they go to Prep school for 1 or 2 years and get to enter college at 20 or even 21 as Freshman...

Parents of kids who have the potential to even maybe get an athletic scholarship today are going to do everything they can to get their child every advantage they can...   I understand it to a point but the big issue for me is that there is no way that these kids should be permitted to have 4 years of eligibility remaining when they enter college...  especially the kids who are in Prep school because of the lack of academic progress or because they just didn't do their work in high school.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:48:38 AM by pmg911 »