Lamont Hamilton vs Justin Burrell

• 29 replies
Lamont Hamilton vs Justin Burrell
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
I thought Hamilton was going to be a stud after his first year at SJU. The same could be said for JB right now. For whatever reason Monty, although a good player, never reaced his potential imo. Hopefully Burrel starts to get it. Who is better at this point and who will have the better career? And please lets not turn this into a Norm thread

Re: Lamont Hamilton vs Justin Burrell
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »
I really hate these threads. Monty never got better, he was big but never got stronger. I don't even see how we can draw a comparison on the two yet.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »
come on guys, don't clog up the boars with nonsense...     its not what this site is for...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »
come on guys, don't clog up the boars with nonsense...     its not what this site is for...

Even though I know you are being sarcastic because you feel the need to antagonize someone or something at all times for some personality complex of yours but this isn't nonsense and this is exactly what the site is for to discuss and debate different topics regarding St. John's basketball. My own personal feeling towards a thread doesn't warrant it to be removed or not discussed.

You are much more of a valued poster here when you aren't trying to rock the boat. You are a knowledgeable fan and add a lot to the table.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:51:24 PM »
come on guys, don't clog up the boars with nonsense...     its not what this site is for...

Even though I know you are being sarcastic because you feel the need to antagonize someone or something at all times for some personality complex of yours but this isn't nonsense and this is exactly what the site is for to discuss and debate different topics regarding St. John's basketball. My own personal feeling towards a thread doesn't warrant it to be removed or not discussed.

You are much more of a valued poster here when you aren't trying to rock the boat. You are a knowledgeable fan and add a lot to the table.

Thanks Dave..    the boost to my self esteem was greatly appreciated. . I have been so concerned about your opinion of me...

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
The difference is that Hamilton lacked any kind of game/basketball sense.  JB seems to have more physical ability and more game sense.  I definitely think/hope JB will have the better career.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
Hamilton gets a bad rap. He was a very flawed player,who for the most part played up to his capabilities as the best player on some truly atrocious & poorly coached teams.
Burrell, needs to work on his rebounding, post skills and his coaching. He should have the mindset to go after every board, as he should have some excess energy being that he never has any plays run for him. When he does get the ball he needs to work on some back to the basket moves, or at least a little jump hook as he has a nice touch. This would of course be in vain however as was previously mentioned, he does not get any plays run for him and does not get the ball in the post too often. The last thing he needs to improve unfortunately is out of is hands :(

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
hamilton has a better post-scoring move...the 'chest pounding'.

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »
justin should have a much better career...MUCH better...and i say that being pretty happy with hamilton's career...i think that hamilton used his size and strength to his advantage...he knew his strengths and played to them...but justin has many more tools than hamilton and is so athletic its ridiculous...i was watching the liu game at a friends house and the first thing my friend said to me when he saw jb at the line was, wow that kid is ripped outta his mind...given the right approach he seems like he could be a model of amare stoudemire

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »
given the right approach he seems like he could be a model of amare stoudemire

And I feel with the right approach I could have a threesome with Scarlet Johanson and Megan Fox 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:41:47 PM by we are sju »

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »
depends on how much burrell progresses

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
...given the right approach he seems like he could be a model of amare stoudemire

some of us have fallen off the deep end.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
Hamilton gets a bad rap. He was a very flawed player,who for the most part played up to his capabilities as the best player on some truly atrocious & poorly coached teams.
Burrell, needs to work on his rebounding, post skills and his coaching. He should have the mindset to go after every board, as he should have some excess energy being that he never has any plays run for him. When he does get the ball he needs to work on some back to the basket moves, or at least a little jump hook as he has a nice touch. This would of course be in vain however as was previously mentioned, he does not get any plays run for him and does not get the ball in the post too often. The last thing he needs to improve unfortunately is out of is hands :(

I agree with that. Burrell isn't being used the right way. Hamilton was pretty good. Nothing more, and nothing less. He wasn't interested in getting strong enough to dominate. Burrell looks to have added some muscle. That's a good sign.

I think JB has the better career because after this season Norm Roberts will be fired, and hopefully, we'll have a new coach.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
What did Hamilton average his first season?

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »

Agree with just about everything you have posted sju. My main gripe with Burrell is that he seems to become disinterested at times on the floor and is not as agressive as he should be going to the glass. That is coaching 101. The staff needs to get in his ear and get him touches in every half court set.

Physically the sky is the limit for JB. Much higher ceiling than LH ever had.

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »

Agree with just about everything you have posted sju. My main gripe with Burrell is that he seems to become disinterested at times on the floor and is not as agressive as he should be going to the glass. That is coaching 101. The staff needs to get in his ear and get him touches in every half court set.

As far back as cyo you are taught to feed the big man to make them happy, so they will hit the boards and run the floor. Now I think Justin's motor is not always running at high, but he def goes long stretches without touching the ball!

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »

As far back as cyo you are taught to feed the big man to make them happy, so they will hit the boards and run the floor. Now I think Justin's motor is not always running at high, but he def goes long stretches without touching the ball!

Exactly right Carrie. Norm shouldnt have to teach kids how to make an entry pass or dribble with the lefthand. All this should be learned before High School. Different times though

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

Exactly right Carrie. Norm shouldnt have to teach kids how to make an entry pass or dribble with the lefthand. All this should be learned before High School. Different times though

Maybe Slappy is too busy teaching them that fantastic side to side passing that they have perfected so well?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:51:45 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »
 Right now if LH was more interested developing he skills as a big man he would be playing in the league. He did not show passion, desire or heart on the court. Yes he could have been better however he did not. Coaches could always see who wants it or not. He did not. JB is totally different player he knew he had towork to get better, and you could see it his eyes that he wants to be better. JB wants to be more focus, stronger, determine on all aspects of his game. LH came to St.Johns with all star high school game and he left with it. JB came about the same way but he wants to be pro. Comparing the two one was satisfied with his game and the other wants to do more.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
Right now if LH was more interested developing he skills as a big man he would be playing in the league. He did not show passion, desire or heart on the court. Yes he could have been better however he did not. Coaches could always see who wants it or not. He did not. JB is totally different player he knew he had towork to get better, and you could see it his eyes that he wants to be better. JB wants to be more focus, stronger, determine on all aspects of his game. LH came to St.Johns with all star high school game and he left with it. JB came about the same way but he wants to be pro. Comparing the two one was satisfied with his game and the other wants to do more.

Hamilton wasn't a real heralded recruit, nowhere near as much as JB. In fact you can make a case that Hamilton exceeded expectations here. He showed some terrific flashes, but he was a flawed player. JB though not entirely his fault has so far not lived up to the billings. People on some of these boards were comparing him to McDyess. In fact someone on this board in a moment of hyperbole bordering on insanity compared his skill set to Stoudamire. Though his coach has virtually no idea what he is doing, JB's body and athletic skills would dictate that he should be doing more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:42:51 PM by we are sju »