86 points

• 21 replies
86 points
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
This is a nice sign at least. Was not sure we could score that many in an empty gym playing against an imaginary team. Maybe Slappy finally realized he does not know what he is doing and is just going to let Boothe run the offense and stay out of the way? Other far more successful coaches than Slappy have pulled this off. Now if the players could just substitute themselves in and out of games we might really have something! Hey if we could average around 70, no matter how many games we win, at least it will be more enjoyable than the prostate exam that was the last four years!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:05:49 AM by we are sju »

Re: 86 points
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
Good job by Norm and staff.

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
come on...lets not get too far ahead of ourselves...we are a big east team that dropped 86 on an ivy...a good sign, yes...but not worth getting too excited about

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
come on...lets not get too far ahead of ourselves...we are a big east team that dropped 86 on an ivy...a good sign, yes...but not worth getting too excited about

You have clearly never read any of my posts! Just trying to express some positivity early in the season. And it is not as if I compared one of our players to one of the top 10 players in the NBA or something ;)

BTW this is the first time I have ever been accused of being overly positive on either of the two boards I post on. Going to save this!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »

Let's enjoy it while we can.  Every win will boost the confidence of this team and make us more competitive come Big East play.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:37:56 AM »

I am trying to hold my excitement just like you SJD.  That being said I just went and looked at our scores from last year and we only scored more than 80 once and it was against Farleigh Dickinson.  Heres to hoping it continues this year unlike last year!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »
LOL. It's ok to be excited or happy after a win. I don't think anyone is getting delusional and taking it more than what it is worth. He isn't saying we're winning the Big East after the win but it was a good win and the team played really well on the road. You have to be happy about that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »
86 points was an anomaly last year. i think we win. more importantly BC will not cover.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:19:36 PM by NYCbuckeye »

Question
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
I know some of us are excited the team dropped 86 last night against Cornell. However, some of the posters are downplaying it too because Cornell is an Ivy Leauge team.

What if we drop another 80 plus game tonight (in a win) against BC. Would that get you excited? Or at least having the negative OR not so positive posters thinking we might be heading in the right direction?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:23:46 PM by Johnny4Life »

Re: Question
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
I know some of us are excited the team dropped 86 last night against Cornell. However, some of the posters are downplaying it too because Cornell is an Ivy Leauge team.

What if we drop another 80 plus game tonight (in a win) against BC. Would that get you excited or at least having the not so positive posters thinking we might be heading in the right direction?

No, some will find something else to complain about

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »

Let's enjoy it while we can.  Every win will boost the confidence of this team and make us more competitive come Big East play.
Well said.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
A win tonight would be saying something.  Hey, we are 2-0 baby!!!  Innocent 'til proven guilty and good 'til proven otherwise!!

pmg911

Question thread.. where did it go..?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
There was a thread here a few minutes ago asking the question about what would make so here happy..    itsa a very good question...

No idea where the thread went but here is my response to that post...

I will be pleasantly surprised if they win tonight, I could care less if they score 50 or 80 points...   it would be a very nice win and send them to MSG for a great start to the season.

I will be happy when the team shows a consistent effort and gets the occassional result that is not exepcted... at this point and with this crew I can't exepct much more...

The team is not good, its not hard to see that..  especially in this conference...   but to watch them get destroyed time and time again the past two years and lose to teams that have no business beating a solid Big East team is disheartening. They have been embarrassed time and time again on their home court...   its one thing to lose to teams that you are just not as talented as but not get embarrassed...    terrible home losses have been the staple of the Norm Roberts Era here...

This team/program has gotten so bad that its doesn't even deserve the blind loyalty of its fan base. The time has come for them to earn our support again...

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
There was a thread here a few minutes ago asking the question about what would make so here happy..    itsa a very good question...

The topic was merged with "86 points".  Conspiracy Solved!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:10:43 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Re: Question
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »

What if we drop another 80 plus game tonight (in a win) against BC. Would that get you excited? Or at least having the negative OR not so positive posters thinking we might be heading in the right direction?

Here is the question that you were looking for.  ;D

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

I will be pleasantly surprised if they win tonight, I could care less if they score 50 or 80 points...   it would be a very nice win and send them to MSG for a great start to the season.

I will be happy when the team shows a consistent effort and gets the occassional result that is not exepcted... at this point and with this crew I can't exepct much more...

The team is not good, its not hard to see that..  especially in this conference...   but to watch them get destroyed time and time again the past two years and lose to teams that have no business beating a solid Big East team is disheartening. They have been embarrassed time and time again on their home court...   its one thing to lose to teams that you are just not as talented as but not get embarrassed...    terrible home losses have been the staple of the Norm Roberts Era here...

This team/program has gotten so bad that its doesn't even deserve the blind loyalty of its fan base. The time has come for them to earn our support again...

Topics were merged because they were so directly related. You can see that some of the posts have different topics in here its because they were merged.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
I'm starting to get that the same feeling I had before the Maryland game 2 years ago.  Hopefully things go a little differently this time around.

sjd8886

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »

yes

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
I'm starting to get that the same feeling I had before the Maryland game 2 years ago.  Hopefully things go a little differently this time around.
Thinking about that game turns my stomach.  I remember being almost excited, and then...

But at least they played Texas close the next day.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »

I went to that game with a buddy of mine who didn't go to SJU and I was totally embarrassed to have dragged him along for that pounding the team took.

I also hope that things will be different... and think it will.