Preseason NIT Consolation Round

• 46 replies
Preseason NIT Consolation Round
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
Where do you want to go?  Who do you want to play?

Options are:
1) Loser of Davidson or Oklahoma
2) Georgia
3) UAB
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Preseason NIT Consolation Round
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »
Georgia without a doubt.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
Georgia without a doubt.
Probably Georgia. But let's see how UAB does against Arizona tonight. They're playing a team with a makeshift head coach...which is basically better than having Norm Roberts as a coach.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:39:27 PM »
Heck lets play loser of Oak/Davidson and win. That would be a big morale booster.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
Heck lets play loser of Oak/Davidson and win. That would be a big morale booster.
If St. John's couldn't stop Rice tonight, what can they do against Stephon Curry? Sounds like the Storm get embarrassed in that one.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
If St. John's couldn't stop Rice tonight, what can they do against Stephon Curry? Sounds like the Storm get embarrassed in that one.

It wouldn't be easy and if I were a betting man I wouldn't choose us however I've never been one to shy away from playing the best(even though I didn't want Dale to play the other night for Cornell).

You could look at this a few ways. A loss to a higher RPI team is better than a loss to a lower RPI team and a win against high RPI team is better than a lower RPI team. Also out of conference schedule is all about preparation for Big East play and playing a better team would help I feel.

Playing Georgia would be most ideal because we saw them last season and preparation would be easier.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »

It wouldn't be easy and if I were a betting man I wouldn't choose us however I've never been one to shy away from playing the best(even though I didn't want Dale to play the other night for Cornell).

You could look at this a few ways. A loss to a higher RPI team is better than a loss to a lower RPI team and a win against high RPI team is better than a lower RPI team. Also out of conference schedule is all about preparation for Big East play and playing a better team would help I feel.

Playing Georgia would be most ideal because we saw them last season and preparation would be easier.
St. John's Big East schedule is already biting off way more than they can chew right now. Before January (essentially = preseason), they need to play the teams that allow them to tone their game. If they get Davidson, they are distracted from the overall defensive team concept while they're worrying about Curry. They are completely outmatched by Arizona, something they will have to be familiar with once they start Big East play. What they need is a team like UAB or Georgia, teams they can match up well against and devise a game plan to go forward with.

As of right now, I really can't wrap my mind around St. John's worrying about RPI. Hope for the better matchup so they can mold themselves into, at least, a competitive force in the best conference in college hoops.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:11:10 AM by takethepoints »

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »

St. John's Big East schedule is already biting off way more than they can chew right now. Before January (essentially = preseason), they need to play the teams that allow them to tone their game. If they get Davidson, they are distracted from the overall defensive team concept while their worrying about Curry. They are completely outmatched by Arizona, something they will have to be familiar with once they start Big East play. What they need is a team like UAB or Georgia, teams they can match up well against and devise a game plan to go forward with.

As of right now, I really can't wrap my mind around St. John's worrying about RPI. Hope for the better matchup so they can mold themselves into, at least, a competitive force in the best conference in college hoops.

Great point, well said. I'm changing my tune and hopping on your bandwagon.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »
My point is, Curry has 44 points close to the end of the game against a pretty good Okla defense. There's no way the Storm defend that. All that does is deflate them as a team before big non-conference games.

If the turnover and rebounding stats were anything like they were against BC, the Davidson game is a blowout in favor of Curry's squad. Rather have the confidence builder.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »
I met Curry this summer while he was visiting his teammate Steve Rossiter from Staten Island. He's a cool kid, tried to convince him to play for my summer league team I was coaching but he didn't have a waiver from Mckillop and he was just there to watch Steve play. He would have been nasty on my team playing along side Brevin Knight, Adam Chubb(7' from UPenn playing over in euroleague), and the rest of the roster is filled out with former UPenn players. Its a very fun team.

Anyways enough about my team back to Curry he's tiny! I'm 6'2 and he's definitely shorter than I am and he's skinnier than I am too and I'm not that big of a guy. I was amazed this is the kid who is dominating the nation in college basketball. He's definitely something special to watch.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
I met Curry this summer while he was visiting his teammate Steve Rossiter from Staten Island. He's a cool kid, tried to convince him to play for my summer league team I was coaching but he didn't have a waiver from Mckillop and he was just there to watch Steve play. He would have been nasty on my team playing along side Brevin Knight, Adam Chubb(7' from UPenn playing over in euroleague), and the rest of the roster is filled out with former UPenn players. Its a very fun team.

Anyways enough about my team back to Curry he's tiny! I'm 6'2 and he's definitely shorter than I am and he's skinnier than I am too and I'm not that big of a guy. I was amazed this is the kid who is dominating the nation in college basketball. He's definitely something special to watch.

height doesn't appear to be a hindrance.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »

Options are:
2) Georgia
3) UAB

How and when is this determined?

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »

height doesn't appear to be a hindrance.

He's not tall but not big or strong either. I mean if you were at an open gym(assuming no one knew who Curry was) and you were picking up teams you wouldn't be too quick to pick him up by the looks of him. 

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »
My point is, Curry has 44 points close to the end of the game against a pretty good Okla defense. There's no way the Storm defend that. All that does is deflate them as a team before big non-conference games.

If the turnover and rebounding stats were anything like they were against BC, the Davidson game is a blowout in favor of Curry's squad. Rather have the confidence builder.
How much confidence can be gained from winning against weaker competition? As it is, we'll have diabetes inducing cupcakes NJIT, Howard, St. Francis, and Bethune-Cookman on the horizon.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »

It's incredible what that kid is doing with his frame. He's skinnier than any player on St. John's. Could you imagine how much better Mase and JB would look if they had a player like that on the team?

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 12:37:14 AM »

It's incredible what that kid is doing with his frame. He's skinnier than any player on St. John's. Could you imagine how much better Mase and JB would look if they had a player like that on the team?

UNC didn't even give Curry the time of day either. Imagine he did go to UNC they'd be even more insane.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »

UNC didn't even give Curry the time of day either. Imagine he did go to UNC they'd be even more insane.
Yeah, more insane like, a perfect season. Did you see what they did against Kentucky without that really good guy...what was his name again? I don't hear it enough from the media.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:58:26 AM by Dave »

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 01:54:05 AM »

Options are:
2) Georgia
3) UAB
In the battle of future neurosurgeons, UAB defeated Arizona.
Pasch and Elmore couldn't restrain themselves from commenting on some of the idiotic plays down the stretch.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:01 AM »

Options are:
2) Georgia
3) UAB
In the battle of future neurosurgeons, UAB defeated Arizona.
Pasch and Elmore couldn't restrain themselves from commenting on some of the idiotic plays down the stretch.
Just watched that game. On the thread about coaching --> http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=1514.0<-- there was mention of just how important a competent coach is to a team. Arizona's head coach Lute Olson goes AWAL...completely random coach takes over...and chaos ensues in the final seconds of a big preseason NIT game. Check this game out.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Paul Delaney III hit a free throw with .8 seconds left, and UAB defeated Arizona 72-71 on Tuesday night to advance to the semifinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

The Blazers (3-0) will meet No. 12 Oklahoma, which beat No. 21 Davidson 82-78, in Madison Square Garden on Nov. 26.

Arizona (1-1) staged a valiant rally but lost in stunning fashion.

The Wildcats trailed 47-33 two minutes into the second half and by nine points with 4:39 to play. But they tied it at 70 when freshman Kyle Fogg scored on a putback with 25 seconds to play.

After UAB missed a free throw, Arizona's Nic Wise missed a jumper with three seconds left. Delaney emerged from a scramble and raced toward midcourt for a last-gasp heave. That's when Arizona's Jamelle Horne was called for an intentional foul.

Delaney hit one free throw and UAB inbounded the ball to clinch the win.

-------What this abridged game story from ESPN doesn't tell you is about that last UAB missed free throw. The only reason they were taking a free throw was because after Fogg scored, he inexplicably fouled the ball carrier thinking THEY WERE STILL LOSING!! Freshman, yes. But good coaching would have set that straight.

After UAB missed the free throw, Wise missed the potential game-winning shot. The rebound went to Delaney and he rushed to midcourt and shot a Hail Mary. But Horne THOUGHT THEY WERE STILL LOSING!!!!!!!! and committed an intentional foul as Delaney took the desperation shot. He literally DOVE at the shooter to make sure the foul was called. The rest is history.

If a coach has total control over their team, THIS NEVER HAPPENS.

What's the word on who St. John's plays next in the Dick's Sporting Goods Preseason NIT? And will the game be at MSG?

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »
i thought the consolation round was for only losers of the first round.