Preseason NIT Consolation Round

• 46 replies
Re: Preseason NIT Consolation Round
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:42 AM »
i thought the consolation round was for only losers of the first round.

Different format this year.  All teams get four games.  They will break down the 12 teams that don't make it to MSG into groups of 4 and send them to 3 locations.  Arizona, Georgia, and Davidson based on tournament seeding.  St. john's was seeded 8 so no chance we get it.  Unless they decide a school can't host twice (Arizona) but thats me making that up.  I'm not sure when they will be announced.  Has to be soon because games are on 11/24 and 11/25.

Also no teams can play each other twice so we won't be seeing Cornell again.  My guess is Davidson or  Georgia since they talked about trying to keep it geographically as close as possible.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:52:24 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
I met Curry this summer while he was visiting his teammate Steve Rossiter from Staten Island. He's a cool kid, tried to convince him to play for my summer league team I was coaching but he didn't have a waiver from Mckillop and he was just there to watch Steve play. He would have been nasty on my team playing along side Brevin Knight, Adam Chubb(7' from UPenn playing over in euroleague), and the rest of the roster is filled out with former UPenn players. Its a very fun team.

Anyways enough about my team back to Curry he's tiny! I'm 6'2 and he's definitely shorter than I am and he's skinnier than I am too and I'm not that big of a guy. I was amazed this is the kid who is dominating the nation in college basketball. He's definitely something special to watch.
It's incredible what that kid is doing with his frame. He's skinnier than any player on St. John's. Could you imagine how much better Mase and JB would look if they had a player like that on the team?

UNC didn't even give Curry the time of day either. Imagine he did go to UNC they'd be even more insane.
Yeah, more insane like, a perfect season. Did you see what they did against Kentucky without that really good guy...what was his name again? I don't hear it enough from the media.

Michael Jordan?

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
I forgot to mention there is a chance we face Florida Atlantic and our old friend Jarvis.  Would the NCAA/NIT be that sinister in setting that matchup?

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I forgot to mention there is a chance we face Florida Atlantic and our old friend Jarvis.  Would the NCAA/NIT be that sinister in setting that matchup?

do he have a go to guy?

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
Espken, the true king of all media, reports that Arizona can not host the consolation round as their venue is being used by the woman's team on one of those nights (apparently they were pretty sure they would get to MSG before Lute retired).  Therefore the 8 seed gets the opportunity to host a consolation bracket.  Games Mon/Tue at CA.  If I were betting I think we'll see Arizona (also an Espken rumor), Loyola MD and JMU.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »
I'd like to see UAB.  Mase's boy from Memphis, Lawrence Kinnard, plays for them.  They are basically clones of eachother hahah.  Kinnard has a more frontcourt skills though.  I don't remember the exact details, but I think Kinnard went to Farleigh with Mase and thentransferred to Memphis rival Raliegh-Egypt.  I'm pretty sure they played AAU ball together for a while as well. 

It would be a good our senior to get a game agaisnt a home town guy.  I can vouch that it is a very good feeling in at the college level. 

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 12:49:19 PM »
I'd like to see UAB.  Mase's boy from Memphis, Lawrence Kinnard, plays for them.  They are basically clones of eachother hahah.  Kinnard has a more frontcourt skills though.  I don't remember the exact details, but I think Kinnard went to Farleigh with Mase and thentransferred to Memphis rival Raliegh-Egypt.  I'm pretty sure they played AAU ball together for a while as well. 

It would be a good our senior to get a game agaisnt a home town guy.  I can vouch that it is a very good feeling in at the college level. 

UAB won their bracket and are playing at MSG.  Other than that agree entirely.   :D

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »
Oops didn't see that UAB beat Arizona yesterday.

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »
possible opponents...

Loyola MD
Loyola IL
Eastern Michigan
Mississippi Valley
James Madison
Florida Atlantic
Arizona
Santa Clara

Geographically Looks like battle of the Loyola's and Eastern Michigan or James Madison coming to town?  I would think they send Arizona to Davidson or Georgia.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »
Oops didn't see that UAB beat Arizona yesterday.

not only did they lose but I've never seen anything like the way they lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8OtV_-6ag

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »
possible opponents...

Loyola MD
Loyola IL
Eastern Michigan
Mississippi Valley
James Madison
Florida Atlantic
Arizona
Santa Clara

Geographically Looks like battle of the Loyola's and Eastern Michigan or James Madison coming to town?  I would think they send Arizona to Davidson or Georgia.

Arizona is still one of the the three highest seeds and most likely won't be playing in the bracket of any of the other high seeds.  Especially since none of the games are going to be on TV.

Here's my guess for the three brackets after looking at who can't play who:

Arizona /  SJU / Santa Clara / Eastern Michigan

Davidson / Cornell / Loyola IL / Miss Valley St

Georgia /  James Madison / Fl Atl / Loyola MD

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »
Matchups for the Consolation Round are posted on the NIT website

http://www.nit.org/sports/m-pnit/sched/nit-m-pnit-sched.html

We get Eastern Michigan Monday @ CA and then Loyola (IL) Tuesday @ CA

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »

The mistake in my calculations was that the consolation brackets would be tourney types, i.e. winners play and losers play in second round.  Since it isn't it was easier to send teams to local sites.

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »

I don't know anything about these teams but Eastern Michigan lost to Georgia by 1 and Loyola IL beat them by 20.  Either Georgia is really bad or these guys are decent.

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 02:00:22 PM »

I don't know anything about these teams but Eastern Michigan lost to Georgia by 1 and Loyola IL beat them by 20.  Either Georgia is really bad or these guys are decent.

I think Georgia is really bad, I have seen them played this year wasn't impressed.

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »

Georgia is pathetic.
Eastern Michigan got the s^&* kicked out of them by Purdue.

I was hoping we might get one of the bigger programs, for the sake of competition and exposure.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »

Georgia is pathetic.

I was hoping we might get one of the bigger programs, for the sake of competition and exposure.

Neither of these teams finished .500 last year...should be 2 wins...should be.

It looks like they didn't match up any of the "bigger" programs.  Would have been interesting to see Arizona visit.  Likely a loss but still I would rather play a big conference foe.

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
Loyola lost to Rockhurst.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »

Georgia is pathetic.

Neither of these teams finished .500 last year...should be 2 wins...should be.

It looks like they didn't match up any of the "bigger" programs.  Would have been interesting to see Arizona visit.  Likely a loss but still I would rather play a big conference foe.

Arizona in CA would have been amazing.  How often do we get to play an OOC giant like Arizona is CA!!?!?  It would have been UNREAL.  STJ should have been pushing hard for that.  Automatic sellout.