Mason Jr... awful..

• 20 replies

pmg911

Mason Jr... awful..
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »
For as long as I can remember St. John's has always had a guy that was considered the "GO TO" guy on that particular tteam...

Whether it was David Russell, Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Shelton Jones, Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez, Marcus Hatten, Darryl Hill, etc....

Anthony Mason Jr, has been the guy for this team for 2 years now. I have never seen St. John's have a "go to guy" this bad...

There is no doubt in my mind that team would be better if he was on the bench...

Re: Mason Jr... awful..
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »
For as long as I can remember St. John's has always had a guy that was considered the "GO TO" guy on that particular tteam...

Whether it was David Russell, Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Shelton Jones, Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez, Marcus Hatten, Darryl Hill, etc....

Anthony Mason Jr, has been the guy for this team for 2 years now. I have never seen St. John's have a "go to guy" this bad...

There is no doubt in my mind that team would be better if he was on the bench...

You have a valid point. Mase has not stepped up.

Burrell needs to be the go to guy.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
Mason is a good complementary player but on this team he is being asked to be the go to guy.  We are not better without him...thats for sure.

Paging Lance Stephenson.  Paging Lance Stephenson.  Go to guy needed.

Is Mason the new whipping boy since Geno left?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »

Amen. That was the difference in last nights game. Rice, the lone senior and go-to guy on BC, scored 28 and made a play whenever his team needed it. Mason on the other hand had more turnovers than field goals(1) in the final 30 minutes of the game. Awful is an understatement.

With that being said I am willing to give Mason and this team a few more games to get used to playing our new up-tempo style before calling for his benching. I would also like to see Sean Evans get more touches in the post.  He at least seems to have the mentality to be that go-to guy we sorely need. Put his heart and determination into Burrell and you would have a monster on your hands.

LJSA

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »

No, he is actually the new Geno.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
Mason had 6 ast last night.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
It will be addition by subtraction next year. 

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
I too think Mason's performance so far has been awful. However, I am not ready to bench him yet. I do think he needs to let the game come to him and rather than trying to create his shot... let Boothe create it for him.

Someone needs to tell him that if he puts up 20 points a game... no NBA team will draft him if (1) He is shooting 30% overall and (2) We have a losing record.

He would probably look alot better to NBA teams if he scores 10-16 a game, he shoots with a better percentage, and the Johnnies get the win.

Additionally, I think Burrell needs to step it up as well. They need to get him the ball down low and establish his presence. This will help open it up for Mason and the rest of the guys.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »
I think he has a little bit of geno-itis. He is one of the lone seniors on the team, he feels he needs to put the team on his back, and be the big show. At times he will have to be the big show but let it come to him don't force it. I think Mason is becoming less selfish of a player but still relies to heavily on his jumpshot but then again his handle isn't strong he enough to drive. He always fades away when he doesn't have to which leads to inconsistent shooting. Do you know how hard it is to fade away exactly the same way every time? Its like trying to draw a perfect circle.

What I don't understand is why we don't post Mason up.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
I think he has a little bit of geno-itis. He is one of the lone seniors on the team, he feels he needs to put the team on his back, and be the big show. At times he will have to be the big show but let it come to him don't force it. I think Mason is becoming less selfish of a player but still relies to heavily on his jumpshot but then again his handle isn't strong he enough to drive. He always fades away when he doesn't have to which leads to inconsistent shooting. Do you know how hard it is to fade away exactly the same way every time? Its like trying to draw a perfect circle.

Becuase he thinks he is showcasing Mase jr for the pros, where evidently 6-7 guys who can't dribble and never square up on their jumpers are plentiful? Though his stats are better, Mase was a much better player his freshman year. He really showed potential. Since then he has fallen in love with his off balance, fading away, knuckleball shot. He is long and athletic yet doesn't drive, defend or rebound! very soft I actually think he might be adopted. Has anyone ever seen a birth cert? 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:45:15 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »

Becuase he thinks he is showcasing Mase jr for the pros, where evidently 6-7 guys who can't dribble and never square up on their jumpers are plentiful? Though his stats are better, Mase was a much better player his freshman year. He really showed potential. Since then he has fallen in love with his off balance, fading away, knuckleball shot. He is long and athletic yet doesn't drive, defend or rebound! very soft I actually think he might be adopted. Has anyone ever seen a birth cert? 

Maybe a DNA test would be more appropriate. (JK)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »

At one point in the second half I do think Mase was trying for a post up on one of the BC guards - he twisted to get his back in position.  The he was called for palming or something.  He needs to snake into the lane for his shot attempts - the worst thing he does, along with the turnovers - is take uncontested 20 foot jumpers in the middle of the shot clock.  There ain't no cause for a shot one foot inside the 3-point line.  No benefit.  Take the three if you're squared and in rhythm; get within 15-10 feet and make something happen.

He has the ability to get his shot closer in if he wants it.  I'm not on down on him as some people are - he can make plays.  And it's not his dribble that's awful (but it needs to be better at any level) - it's his decision-making with the dribble.  For some reason, he thinks he can split well-positioned defenders.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »

At one point in the second half I do think Mase was trying for a post up on one of the BC guards - he twisted to get his back in position.  The he was called for palming or something.  He needs to snake into the lane for his shot attempts - the worst thing he does, along with the turnovers - is take uncontested 20 foot jumpers in the middle of the shot clock.  There ain't no cause for a shot one foot inside the 3-point line.  No benefit.  Take the three if you're squared and in rhythm; get within 15-10 feet and make something happen.

He has the ability to get his shot closer in if he wants it.  I'm not on down on him as some people are - he can make plays.  And it's not his dribble that's awful (but it needs to be better at any level) - it's his decision-making with the dribble.  For some reason, he thinks he can split well-positioned defenders.

How many times did Raftery who would have a hard time criticizing someone that was mugging him say"Don't need it, work for a better shot" or "to quick" when talking about a Mase brick. In fairness to Brick jr the longer he has the ball, the more likely a steal or turnover will occur.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »
Mason is a good complementary player but on this team he is being asked to be the go to guy.  We are not better without him...thats for sure.

Paging Lance Stephenson.  Paging Lance Stephenson.  Go to guy needed.

Could Lance score 30 a night here as a go-to guy? I think he can, and if I'm right, he'd do well to come to SJU where all the scoring could raise his NBA stock

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
we can talk all we want about what mason needs...but this is his senior year.  he'll never be any better.

mason is stephon marbury.  the team would be better off in the future with him on the bench.

what the team needs is for horne to switch minutes with him.  horne's not much better now...but he's a sophomore who might improve.

as far as burrell...he plays scared.

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »
If Mason and Burrell played big last night we win that game......

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
we can talk all we want about what mason needs...but this is his senior year.  he'll never be any better.

mason is stephon marbury.  the team would be better off in the future with him on the bench.

what the team needs is for horne to switch minutes with him.  horne's not much better now...but he's a sophomore who might improve.

as far as burrell...he plays scared.

I don't think thats the case its way too early to through Mason under the bus. We're 3 games into the season he played poorly in 2 out of 3 but the one he played very well. Lets get 10 games in and see where he is at. We need Mason to play better and I think he can. Lets not hold Mason to an NBA level but rather is he a guy who can shoot 48% and score 16-18ppg for us? I think he could be, will he? This remains to be seen.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
we've had three plus years to see where mason's at.  the next ten games will be against mid majors with the exception of virginia tech.

it'll be fools gold if he performs well. 

if he somehow morphs into something great...i'll be pleasantly knocked on my ass.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 12:32:34 AM »
I guess my point is we don't need him to be great. We need him to be a little bit better than good. I think he can do that but he needs to play smarter and identify his strengths.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »
your assessment is fair.

i just think we've seen the best of mase jr...some outstanding games mixed in with a majority of games where he kills us.

that's a formula for another near twenty loss season.