Props to the Sign Guys

• 33 replies
Props to the Sign Guys
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »
Props to the guys who made the signs and hung them on the railing. Did you notice Father Maher when he first saw them?

Re: Props to the Sign Guys
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:06:46 PM »
Props to the guys who made the signs and hung them on the railing. Did you notice Father Maher when he first saw them?

What did they say, I saw numbers or something on them

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
What did they say, I saw numbers or something on them

They had the name of the opponent, the final score, and a running total of losses for all 40 of their losses.
Pretty funny, in a sick way!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »
yea I saw that too. I feel bad for njit however finally our fans are showing enthusiasm and inititive
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
also please tell us ft maher's reaction

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »
My hats off to the students that did this.  Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:10:24 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
good job to the 8 fans that showed up...

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
So St. John's is flying a bunch of students out to Texas on the University's dime for the soccer game but Ft. Maher won't let sleeveless guy go. I guess he didn't like the signs too much. Poor kid. St. John's sucks.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »
So St. John's is flying a bunch of students out to Texas on the University's dime for the soccer game but Ft. Maher won't let sleeveless guy go. I guess he didn't like the signs too much. Poor kid. St. John's sucks.

or maybe he didnt like the yelling during the anthem? That suck for him

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »

That's great they are flying kids out there though.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:51:56 PM »
During the national anthem dont they just say lets go st johns? this may be for another topic but i really feel like the national anthem can be stopped. Half of the time the crowd comes in afterwards and i bet you people would not even notice if they did not do it. This kid bleeds st johns though. he deserves to go above alot of people. he went to all the games and knows so many ppl in the team. Its sad, that this school thinks this kid is a threat when he is trying to give st johns a home court advantage.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »
Ingenious idea.  Well thought out and witty.

But I wasn't a fan.  If we're doing this to NJIT, what do the other Big East programs do when we roll into town?

2000/01 - 14W, 15L
2001/02 - 20W, 12L (With most wins vacated)
2002/03 - 20W, 13L (With most wins vacated)
2003/04 - 6W, 23L
2004/05 - 9W, 18W
2005/06 - 12W, 15L
2006/07 - 16W, 15L
2007/08 - 11W, 19L

NCAA Bids:  0

You're right, they don't do this.  But they could.  Instead they don't waste their construction paper and Sharpies.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »
Ingenious idea.  Well thought out and witty.

But I wasn't a fan.  If we're doing this to NJIT, what do the other Big East programs do when we roll into town?

2000/01 - 14W, 15L
2001/02 - 20W, 12L (With most wins vacated)
2002/03 - 20W, 13L (With most wins vacated)
2003/04 - 6W, 23L
2004/05 - 9W, 18W
2005/06 - 12W, 15L
2006/07 - 16W, 15L
2007/08 - 11W, 19L
NCAA Bids:  0
You're right, they don't do this.  But they could.  Instead they don't waste their construction paper and Sharpies.

And you point is exactly what? Most of you seem to miss the whole point!

Get a life man, it's just a basketball game!

Win or lose, it's a FREAKIN' game!

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »
Sad situation.  And people wonder why someone would want to go away to a place like Virginia for a real college atmosphere.  Doesn't sound like the people at St. John's wants a real college atmosphere.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:51 AM »
my guess is there's more to a college atmosphere than sticking it to a winless opponent.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
Yes this is just a basketball game ---Fans are suppose to help their team have an edge over the other --thats what home team  advantage is about ---I have not seen anything so far that was really out of bounds ..

I dont agree with the yelling during the National Anthem. I would throw them out with no warning ...that is disrespectful to every American.

It has happened every game so far --My wife had to hold me back at the NJIT game..   

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
hey kelsie i only made it to one game so far and during the national anthem they like shout lets go st johns!!! is that what you are talking about or has it become something else?

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
And more props for chanting the numbers on the shot clock when one wasn't available. JB beckoned the boys to our end of the court to help even more and they responded nicely. Good work guys. However, I don't like the idea of "commercials" of any sort during the national anthem. IMO it is a tasteless breach of protocol and does not speak well for the university.
p.s. what ever happened to the floor shot clocks - one of them would have come in handy against NJIT.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:32 AM »
All we yell is "Let's go Johnnies" during the national anthem after "streaming" just like we yell "Let's go Rangers" at Ranger games. If you think that's disrespectful then maybe you're not mature enough to go to a college basketball game. All 4 years I've been at this school the students have been told over and over not to yell. They don't even let us stand up at the Garden. They try to keep this image of being a Catholic school or whatever, and it really really sucks. If you don't want to stand up and yell and cheer then you watch the game at home on tv. The whole point of going is to get into the game, and it seems that the few students who really are into St. John's athletics and go to all the games are scorned. I don't know what it was like in the 80s when we were amazing, but I'd like to think that students were encouraged to go nuts at games instead of getting told to be quiet and not say words like "suck." Until that changes, students will not show up at Carnesecca because they don't want to deal with stupid rules.

And I do think that making signs is great, but ragging on a team like NJIT? That's harsh, man. That's real harsh.

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »
All we yell is "Let's go Johnnies" during the national anthem after "streaming" just like we yell "Let's go Rangers" at Ranger games. If you think that's disrespectful then maybe you're not mature enough to go to a college basketball game. All 4 years I've been at this school the students have been told over and over not to yell. They don't even let us stand up at the Garden. They try to keep this image of being a Catholic school or whatever, and it really really sucks. If you don't want to stand up and yell and cheer then you watch the game at home on tv. The whole point of going is to get into the game, and it seems that the few students who really are into St. John's athletics and go to all the games are scorned. I don't know what it was like in the 80s when we were amazing, but I'd like to think that students were encouraged to go nuts at games instead of getting told to be quiet and not say words like "suck." Until that changes, students will not show up at Carnesecca because they don't want to deal with stupid rules.

And I do think that making signs is great, but ragging on a team like NJIT? That's harsh, man. That's real harsh.

Um yelling anything right in the middle of the National Anthem is disrespectful. Im far from mature but that nonsense should stop,during any event