Props to the Sign Guys

• 33 replies
Re: Props to the Sign Guys
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »
All we yell is "Let's go Johnnies" during the national anthem after "streaming" just like we yell "Let's go Rangers" at Ranger games. If you think that's disrespectful then maybe you're not mature enough to go to a college basketball game. All 4 years I've been at this school the students have been told over and over not to yell. They don't even let us stand up at the Garden. They try to keep this image of being a Catholic school or whatever, and it really really sucks. If you don't want to stand up and yell and cheer then you watch the game at home on tv. The whole point of going is to get into the game, and it seems that the few students who really are into St. John's athletics and go to all the games are scorned. I don't know what it was like in the 80s when we were amazing, but I'd like to think that students were encouraged to go nuts at games instead of getting told to be quiet and not say words like "suck." Until that changes, students will not show up at Carnesecca because they don't want to deal with stupid rules.

And I do think that making signs is great, but ragging on a team like NJIT? That's harsh, man. That's real harsh.
Again, just one old man’s opinion, but to yell anything during the National Anthem or God Bless America is just wrong. I don’t care if it’s done at a Rangers game, it’s still wrong.

You probably don’t need a lecture from me or anyone else, but we all have to show proper respect for the service men and women who have and continue to keep us free.

I am however in full agreement with all fans shouting and showing support for our team, but I prefer to skip shouting “sucks” or any other profanity during the games.

Get creative, think back to Navy with “sunk your battleship” as well as “army’s better.”
And who was the opposing coach who sweated completely through his dress shirt? “Change your tee shirt!” was a great response.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »

Get creative, think back to Navy with “sunk your battleship” as well as “army’s better.”

Ahh my senior year. The beginning stages of the Jungle. I thought all those chants were great that we came up with. We didn't have large numbers but we had strong unity.

The following game was when Ft. Maher said I was disgrace to the school. Apparently he thinks making fun of the opposing team in such fashion is wrong.

Anyways I agree yelling during the National Anthem is distasteful and disrespectful. There is a reason you are asked to remove your cap and some hold their hand over their heart.

If you want to be funny, then sing along or hum the tune like you're in animal house but yelling "lets go St. John's" is just as dumb as yelling "lets go Rangers" in the middle of it.

You are able to do whatever you choose but expect a lot of people to frown upon you for doing so. It only paints a target on your chest by administrators, public safety, etc. With everything they prevent students from doing there is no reason to give them any ammo to fire back with.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 03:08:01 AM »
The signs were great. End of story.

Yelling during the anthem doesn't offend me one bit. It's a strange fascination people have with that song. I'm as patriotic as the next guy and have plenty of family serving overseas but at the end of the day it is just a song (being played by the STJ pep band in front of 800 people). Yelling during the anthem doesn't take anything away from what they do for this country.

I'm a student and attend most games. I don't partake in the yelling during the anthem because I know it's only going to cause trouble. The guys aren't doing it to be disrespectful. I know for a fact that one of them has a very close family member serving in the Middle East right now. So stop playing that card.

That being said, we have to pick our battles. You know it's going to piss people off, so just don't do it any more. I agree with Dave. Don't give PS any added ammunition against us. Let's get a "Let's go Johnnies!" right at the conclusion if we must.

A lot of you guys know who I am and I think you would agree I'm pretty reasonable so please just trust me on this. It's a battle you're not going to win and really it's a battle you don't need to fight.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
PCAKES----Being mature is knowing when to act and when not to act --I want to see all the students at the games --they should all be let in for free to pack the arena and drive visiting teams crazy...thats part ofthe game  . I have been going to games for years --as a student and now as and "OLD GUY".. I very rearely miss a home game ..

I love everything that is done --facing away during intros.. the scores posted at the NJIT game..the heckling of the opposing players...etc.

What bothers me and lots of other spectators who respect the FLAG and the SONG is what it stands for...IF STUDENTS WANT TO MAKE NOISE DURING THE SONG.....LEARN THE WORDS AND SING IT ..

Then continue to support the team ----Go REDMEN     

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 10:06:20 AM »
are we really fighting over the national anthem? When we play a double header do you get to the 1st game to hear the song? Why don't we start writing to SNY and tell them we want to hear the prep band play the national anthem for the people at home. Like i said in a earlier post i bet you more than 50% of fans won't relize if the anthem was played or not.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »
Makes no difference to me if its played or not --but when its played it should be respected. I will comment no more on that issue. Each person can do as they please...(thats why we respect the tradition because it lets us be able to make such choices )   

The discussion, not a fight--  here is not about ones national pride    --its how we get students to participate in SJU basketball --- without offending our fans,  and how we get the administration to buy into the program again ... because they have lost interest....

I am a fan of the tradition of St. Johns basketball I dont like what it has become . I want to see it back to where it was PRE-- Jarvis.. I want to see it as when I was a student and had trouble getting into the games because there were no seats available           

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »
Makes no difference to me if its played or not --but when its played it should be respected. I will comment no more on that issue. Each person can do as they please...(thats why we respect the tradition because it lets us be able to make such choices )   

The discussion, not a fight--  here is not about ones national pride    --its how we get students to participate in SJU basketball --- without offending our fans,  and how we get the administration to buy into the program again ... because they have lost interest....

I am a fan of the tradition of St. Johns basketball I dont like what it has become . I want to see it back to where it was PRE-- Jarvis.. I want to see it as when I was a student and had trouble getting into the games because there were no seats available           

Amen to that!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »
I believe we need to have traditons and the school needs to have a backbone. The national anthem i can see both sides. But we the only Big East school with out a mascot. I think students need to step up and fight for one. How about the flag tradition. I remember hearing stories of it during the jarvis years. They did it up until last year. when one of these CUPCAKE teams said it ruined their timeout. Does anybody know when it was started? and how about having some backbone st johns and telling them so what we been doing it for blank so many years and we going to continue doing it.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Ingenious idea.  Well thought out and witty.

But I wasn't a fan.  If we're doing this to NJIT, what do the other Big East programs do when we roll into town?

2000/01 - 14W, 15L
2001/02 - 20W, 12L (With most wins vacated)
2002/03 - 20W, 13L (With most wins vacated)
2003/04 - 6W, 23L
2004/05 - 9W, 18W
2005/06 - 12W, 15L
2006/07 - 16W, 15L
2007/08 - 11W, 19L
NCAA Bids:  0
You're right, they don't do this.  But they could.  Instead they don't waste their construction paper and Sharpies.

And you point is exactly what? Most of you seem to miss the whole point!

Get a life man, it's just a basketball game!

Win or lose, it's a FREAKIN' game!

My point is simple.  Based on our recent history, the last thing we should do is start taking shots at other programs struggles.  You don't see the elite programs taking such shots at us.  They easily could if they wanted to.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
Ingenious idea.  Well thought out and witty.

But I wasn't a fan.  If we're doing this to NJIT, what do the other Big East programs do when we roll into town?

2000/01 - 14W, 15L
2001/02 - 20W, 12L (With most wins vacated)
2002/03 - 20W, 13L (With most wins vacated)
2003/04 - 6W, 23L
2004/05 - 9W, 18W
2005/06 - 12W, 15L
2006/07 - 16W, 15L
2007/08 - 11W, 19L
NCAA Bids:  0
You're right, they don't do this.  But they could.  Instead they don't waste their construction paper and Sharpies.

And you point is exactly what? Most of you seem to miss the whole point!

Get a life man, it's just a basketball game!

Win or lose, it's a FREAKIN' game!

My point is simple.  Based on our recent history, the last thing we should do is start taking shots at other programs struggles.  You don't see the elite programs taking such shots at us.  They easily could if they wanted to.

Yes they do. Just because you can't hear it or see it on TV doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
i just wanted to bump this thread because of the title

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »
If I was a student right now, I would tell all the complainers(including me) to go F myself and would make sure to make an even bigger spectacle of myself at the next home game. The jungle, at the NJIT game probably wasnt more than 25 kids and got a write up in the NY Post! I say GOOD JOB! Now, if I were you I'd work this to my favor. Maybe the publicity and knowing that the school administration doesnt condone or enjoy the student participation will bring out more kids.  Now it is on you the students to make this happen and run with it. College doesnt last forever. Pep talk, now over ;)

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
If I was a student right now, I would tell all the complainers(including me) to go F myself and would make sure to make an even bigger spectacle of myself at the next home game. The jungle, at the NJIT game probably wasnt more than 25 kids and got a write up in the NY Post! I say GOOD JOB! Now, if I were you I'd work this to my favor. Maybe the publicity and knowing that the school administration doesnt condone or enjoy the student participation will bring out more kids.  Now it is on you the students to make this happen and run with it. College doesnt last forever. Pep talk, now over ;)

LOL this is your own way of admitting that you may have overblown this whole thing, eh? Again, it's not like the students attacked the NJIT in a personal manner.  They pointed out a fact about their basketball team and poked fun at it.   
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »

LOL this is your own way of admitting that you may have overblown this whole thing, eh? Again, it's not like the students attacked the NJIT in a personal manner.  They pointed out a fact about their basketball team and poked fun at it.   

I overblown it? I just complained about the yelling durin the anthem