Why?

• 52 replies
Re: Why?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
So, since the majority of the posters here think that the photo of the girls team was too much, what are your thoughts on the signs posted last night?

I’m just curious because I am usually the one accused of being too PC and I thought they were a very creative idea.

As I posted last evening, the look on Fr. Maher’s face was Priceless. He didn’t know where to turn to. Monasch, Norm and all the staff had a look of disbelief on their faces when they realized what it signified. I wish I had look for the Tech coach!

The NJIT players on the layup line right in front of me looked like they were shell shocked. No smiles were detected.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »
Somethings is sacred. No need doin that wit the star spangled.

I Agree 100%

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
So, since the majority of the posters here think that the photo of the girls team was too much, what are your thoughts on the signs posted last night?

I’m just curious because I am usually the one accused of being too PC and I thought they were a very creative idea.

As I posted last evening, the look on Fr. Maher’s face was Priceless. He didn’t know where to turn to. Monasch, Norm and all the staff had a look of disbelief on their faces when they realized what it signified. I wish I had look for the Tech coach!

The NJIT players on the layup line right in front of me looked like they were shell shocked. No smiles were detected.

I was actually referring to the signs, not the picture of the girls --- and I think that's what most people were.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 03:36:41 PM »
Who cares? I didn't know we had to achieve "x" amount of wins for "x" amount of seasons before we could taunt a team. Please enlighten me on the bar we have to surpass before we're aloud to taunt another team. 

When your team has as proud and established a program as we have, and we are 7 years removed from our last tourney birth, 6 from our last NIT berth, and didn't even make our own conference tourney last year, I think mass taunting of another team's shortcomings should be kept to a minimum.

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Who cares? I didn't know we had to achieve "x" amount of wins for "x" amount of seasons before we could taunt a team. Please enlighten me on the bar we have to surpass before we're aloud to taunt another team. 

When your team has as proud and established a program as we have, and we are 7 years removed from our last tourney birth, 6 from our last NIT berth, and didn't even make our own conference tourney last year, I think mass taunting of another team's shortcomings should be kept to a minimum.

Agreed!

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »

I disagree, I think its a part of college basketball. Fans have shown up reading newspapers at the game because the other team wasn't worth watching, have made signs, creative chants(where's my laptop/ipod), etc.

Its a part of the fun and culture of college basketball. Its a way to gain a competitive advantage on our home court. To say we shouldn't do things as fans at games because we're not good enough or haven't been good lately is lame. They're doing this stuff to help our team get better.

As for the picture of the girls it was a joke, a satire. Just like SNL makes fun of the president, its for comedic purposes.

What I said before that you guys would find something to complain about its because you complain if there are no students at games then you complain if they are quiet, then you complain if they are too loud, if they say something you don't like. Make up your mind.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »
I was actually referring to the signs, not the picture of the girls --- and I think that's what most people were.

I stand corrected. I thought all the fusss was about Dave posting the girl's team photo.
That was funny, but the signs were even funnier!
JMHO

Last season I posted a flyer that the Dukies were giving out before the game at Cameron Indoor with various chants and "less-than-flattering" stats about the Redstorm players. I don't recall the outrage from posters here, but alas my memory isn't what it used to be!

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »

I disagree, I think its a part of college basketball. Fans have shown up reading newspapers at the game because the other team wasn't worth watching, have made signs, creative chants(where's my laptop/ipod), etc.

Its a part of the fun and culture of college basketball. Its a way to gain a competitive advantage on our home court. To say we shouldn't do things as fans at games because we're not good enough or haven't been good lately is lame. They're doing this stuff to help our team get better.

As for the picture of the girls it was a joke, a satire. Just like SNL makes fun of the president, its for comedic purposes.

What I said before that you guys would find something to complain about its because you complain if there are no students at games then you complain if they are quiet, then you complain if they are too loud, if they say something you don't like. Make up your mind.

I think stomping on NJIT just seems like bullying considering how badly they are doing. I just think taunting that kind of school should be beneath SJU. Think of it this way, the last few years when we went to Duke, the crazzies haven't really gotten on us, becuase well would would be the point. Again, last thing on this to me considering how bad we have been, dogging a team like NJIT seems silly. Iona, Marist, Hofstra teams like that that are basically even with us should be fair game.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:18:38 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
We get on the players for not playing hard against the likes of St. Francis/NJIT saying we can't take it easy on the team because they aren't good.

yet

We get on the fans/students for showing too much enthusiasm saying we should take it easy on them because they aren't good.

Isn't this a double standard?

Who cares how good the team is or isn't. Play hard and let the students cheer hard. Let them have their fun. We're trying to create a home court advantage and news flash every school in america does the same thing if not worse.

Tha Kid

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 04:58:03 PM »

We want them to be there, be loud, and be classy.  As PMG said, classy when you lose, classy when you win.

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm sorry but you guys are ridiculous!  It's a college Friggin basketball game.  I understand if someone doesn't want to hear cursing or the word sucks when they bring their kids to the game but signs and a pic of a girls basketball team is funny.  Go ahead and complain about our lack of wins, complain about Norm's recruiting and coaching.  But please don't complain about our fans/students coming up with creative ideas to taunt our opponents.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »
I'm sorry but you guys are ridiculous!  It's a college Friggin basketball game.  I understand if someone doesn't want to hear cursing or the word sucks when they bring their kids to the game but signs and a pic of a girls basketball team is funny.  Go ahead and complain about our lack of wins, complain about Norm's recruiting and coaching.  But please don't complain about our fans/students coming up with creative ideas to taunt our opponents.

I think the picture on our site is funny.

The signs screams 'Hey you guys lose to EVERYONE'

So doesn't that diminish the win if we beat them?  Isn't it sad to need to demean a team that NEVER wins so bad to try to get a mental edge over them?

The newspaper idea, as Dave mentioned, is funny.  You suck so we won't pay attention. The signs showed the someone paid WAY too much attention for a sorry team who we should steamroll.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:30:00 PM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »
So it would be ok to it if they won 1,2,3,4,5,6,7? where do we draw the line.

I agree we didn't need to do it however who cares if we did? It was funny and I'm sure it didn't help NJIT's confidence going out on the court. Students did well in my book lets not put them down for showing some inititive.

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

100% on target!

Tha Kid

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »
So it would be ok to it if they won 1,2,3,4,5,6,7? where do we draw the line.

I agree we didn't need to do it however who cares if we did? It was funny and I'm sure it didn't help NJIT's confidence going out on the court. Students did well in my book lets not put them down for showing some inititive.

It's not about them, it's us being horrible and having no reason to talk trash --- we should never stoop as low as to need to ream a pathetic program into the ground b/c we can't even taunt someone like Seton Hall or USF successfully.

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
we're the nerdy kid who gets puked on at all the parties...so we go home and smack the dog.

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
Win with class. . lose with class...    

The fans have certainly expeienced enough losing to have learned to do it with class..   maybe once the team starts winning they will learn how to do that too..

What's wrong with heckling players?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »
we're the nerdy kid who gets puked on at all the parties...so we go home and smack the dog.

poor analogy

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
This is really laughable.  Which is it?  Our program is too good for that stuff?  Or...Our program sucks so we don't have the right to do that stuff. 

And since we are a bottom tier Big East team we should ony use golf claps and encouraging words for players and coaches...unless of course they are St. John's players or coaches.  Then anything goes.
 :-\
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
what's next band the cheerleaders and danceteam ::)