• 49 replies
Most overrated players to play at SJU
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
Who else? :o

1.Felipe
2.Rob Werdann
3.David Cain
4.Lamont Hamilton

I love Marcus Hatten, but does him getting absolutely no shot in the NBA make him overrated?

joed

Re: Most overrated players to play at SJU
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »
Wayne McCoy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
marcus broadnax...looie recinded gary payton's scholarship offer to get this guy.

chuck sproling...scoring 70 in a high school game raised everyone's expectations.

i guess you can say felipe since the expectations were so out there...but he had one of the best careers of any st john's player.  the expectations were also very high at the same time for zendon hamilton.  the problem may have been mahoney's inability to get the most from these guys and from tarik turner who was supposed to be a lights out point guard.   jarvis would have won a national championship with that team...but everyone would have said he did it with mahoney's players.

i don't see why cain or werdann are on the list.  cain did well when he was given the chance.

we got to a post season tournament every year we had werdann, who got hurt a few times.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
marcus broadnax...looie recinded gary payton's scholarship offer to get this guy.

chuck sproling...scoring 70 in a high school game raised everyone's expectations.

i guess you can say felipe since the expectations were so out there...but he had one of the best careers of any st john's player.  the expectations were also very high at the same time for zendon hamilton.  the problem may have been mahoney's inability to get the most from these guys and from tarik turner who was supposed to be a lights out point guard.   jarvis would have won a national championship with that team...but everyone would have said he did it with mahoney's players.

i don't see why cain or werdann are on the list.  cain did well when he was given the chance.

we got to a post season tournament every year we had werdann, who got hurt a few times.

I was expecting alot more from Werdann coming out of High School, Felipe was on another planet. Both had good careers, but I expected great things.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »

1.Felipe
2.Rob Werdann
3.David Cain
4.Lamont Hamilton

I love Marcus Hatten, but does him getting absolutely no shot in the NBA make him overrated?

David Cain had an absolutely tremendous senior year! Louie did not play him, so I don't think you can put Cain in there!
Lamont Hamilton played about as well as you can expect! He wasn't the most talented guy, but still put up good numbers and would be far and away the best player on this team!
My list would be:
1. Lopez
2. Broadnax
3. Elander Lewis
4. Sproling
5. Werdann/ Burrell
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:42:00 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
Is anyone going to dare to put Daryl "Showtime" Hill on the list? Pre-injury of course. He was a scoring machine but shot terrible percentages and had high turnovers. Or do we cut him slack because he was a one man wrecking crew?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Is anyone going to dare to put Daryl "Showtime" Hill on the list? Pre-injury of course. He was a scoring machine but shot terrible percentages and had high turnovers. Or do we cut him slack because he was a one man wrecking crew?

NO
But Elijah Ingram should def be on it! Don't know how I missed him!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:46:37 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
What about Reggie Jessie? I saw him play in High School and was impressed. He just never got any better, I guess he hit his ceiling

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
What about Reggie Jessie? I saw him play in High School and was impressed. He just never got any better, I guess he hit his ceiling

I also forgot James Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »

Derek Brown started off well, than crapped the bed

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »

NO
But Elijah Ingram should def be on it! Don't know how I missed him!

This is a depressing Monday thread lol. Yea I thought Ingram was going to be awesome. He was so good in high school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
WASJU, what do you think about Shelton Jones?

Poison

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »

1.Felipe
2.Rob Werdann
3.David Cain
4.Lamont Hamilton

Hatten not making the NBA makes the NBA overrated. I hate the NBA.

There are plenty of guys in the League who had no idea what to do when they went up against Marcus Hatten.

Werdann played on winning teams. He went up against Alonzo Mourning, Derrick Coleman and Luther Wright. And he held his own. He wasn't great, but he would be the best player on our team now. By far.

Lopez and Hamilton were garbage. No coach could make them great. So we know now, it was always them who failed us.

Cain had an amazing season in 92-93. We actually did better with him running the show, after Sealy, Werdann, Sproling and Buchanon left. But it was because of him that we had a good year.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:05:12 PM by Poison »

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »

1.Felipe
2.Rob Werdann
3.David Cain
4.Lamont Hamilton

Hatten not making the NBA maes the NBA overrated. I hate the NBA.

There are plenty of guys in the League who had no idea what to do when they went up against Marcus Hatten.

Werdann played on winning teams. He went up against Alonzo Mourning, Derrick Coleman and Luther Wright. And he held his own. He wasn't great, but he would be the best player on our team now. By far.

Lopez and Hamilton were garbage. No coach could make them great. So we know now, it was always them who failed us.

Cain had an amazing season in 92-93. We actually did better with him running the show, after Sealy, Werdann, Sproling and Buchanon left. But it was because of him that we had a good year.

Luther Wright should in no way and never again be mentioned in the same sentence as Alonzo Mourning and Derrick Coleman. Luther was big, thats about it

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
WASJU, what do you think about Shelton Jones?

Should have been much better but was a good solid contributor on good teams, so I would not put him on this list

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

He got hurt.
Louie should have played him over Sproling his freshman year!

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »

He got hurt.

Wasnt Browns freshman year his best?

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »

He got hurt.

Didn't play much that year. Had a good Sophmore year,Mahoney's 1st year

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »

He got hurt.

Didn't play much that year. Had a good Sophmore year,Mahoney's 1st year

When did Felipe come, Browns junior year?

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
No brainer for me, Curtis Redding. Y'all are too young.

And Cain was better than good for us his senior year. He was brilliant. Best on the ball defender we've ever had. Ran the show wonderfully and had a sweet pull up.