JJ Fans?

• 51 replies
JJ Fans?
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
saw this on BEB

Chris Schneider, St. John's Class of '68, Floral Park resident and a former longtime high-school basketball coach on Long Island, still actively supports St. John's basketball. But not blindly.

Last Monday, St. John's defeated NJIT, 82-54. It was NJIT's record 41st straight loss. And the purpose of far too many in Carnesecca Arena was not to demonstrate their support for the home team, but to ridicule NJIT, to rub it in, to kick 'em when they're way down, to show some modern, desensitized, wise-guy, Morning Zoo "attitude."

Posters that carried mocking messages - the opponents and final scores of NJIT's previous 40 losses - were cleverly displayed.

Schneider, trying hard to avoid using the antiquated expression, still couldn't come up with anything to better describe it than "poor sportsmanship." And he sent a personal letter of regret to NJIT coach Jim Engles.

"In regard to the posters," Engles responded, "please don't make a big deal on our behalf. Our kids can't hide from the situation they're in. We speak every day about dealing with adversity. I'm hoping that someday they will be able to look back and realize that they became better people for fighting through this."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:32:59 PM by buckeyestorm »

pmg911

Re: JJ Fans?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »
Bravo Chris Schneider

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »

Bravo Chris Schneider
i second that.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
Honestly, what did the students do wrong here? To me, there is nothing unsportsmanlike about this.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
if you have to taunt someone...and i believe in taunting...then taunt the coach and his "brain" trust.

norm "bubble boy" roberts is still getting a free ride while hard working kids with limited talent are getting trashed.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
300 programs elsewhere would destroy a kid in detail if his parents were just murdered.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »
We're going to rehash this?

It's a friggin college basketball game!!!  That's what fans do.

Is it that people feel bad for the other team?  You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't believe we are taunted heavily on the road. 

Or are people unhappy about where the program is?  But even if you are the last thing we should do is complain about fans/students who still care enough to do something like this.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
its always interesting to get a 2nd reaction.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »
I really not understanding this. Does chris want us not to taunt the other team because we are not winning? Does chris want the students just to cheer defense when they have the ball and lets go johnnies when we have the ball? What does chris think about when the one ACC team had sticks of JJ Redick mom taunting him? At Tenn they were playing a team where the person brought stole from walmart and the student section all had walmart bags. Is that bad? How about when UConn was here and we were chanting wheres you laptop? is that bad

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
this is just tiresome already...no matter what we do people are gonna complain

we're college students...we dont care if you guys dont approve of these things, we're gonna keep doing them anyway so you might as well stop wasting space on these forums complaining about us students who actually care enough to go to the games and create a home court advantage

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
where is this report from?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
it was in the post yesterday and it took BEB a day to put on

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
where is this report from?

Yep, like jeff said it was in yesterday Post in Muschnick's column...and to the poster on BEB who said "now the jungle can just brag they were featured in todays NY post"....you are absolutely correct my friend...as i was reading the article yesterday i thought it was awesome that it was mentioned

also, if that poster on BEB reads this, dont think im ridiculing you because i know you're on our side, im just simply pointing out that you're spot on about what you said!

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »
i still don't get how this has become a classless act by the student section. i know on here a tread was started saying props to the sign guys. but now it is in the post and the students are the ones to blame? I am sure our team had to put up with som taunts after we visited Pittsburgh after the strip club. Did anybody at Pitt write our coach and said sorry? This is college basketball and its D1 the posters were done as a joke and if these kids can not handle it then they shouldnt be playing

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »
This is getting ridiculous. Fans are suppose to be hostile and heckle and do everything they can to rattle the other team. If they are not allowed to do that or that is frowned upon by others then we might as well have the teams play in a closed gym. Get the hell over it people.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
good thing none of the posters on BEB go to the soccer games...they'd really hate the students

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »
Just wanna bump this again...

I've been reading the thread on BEB about this, and i really hate it over there so i dont even wanna respond over there...but heres a few things, more specifically about them wanting the students to do something to get norm fired

1- if you really think this current administration will listen to its students about this topic you're just naive

2- we chanted "fire norm" and such last year, and many of the players directly came up to me and told me to stop...it obviously affects the team when we do that, so this would just be like giving the advantage to the away team...it just makes no sense

3- instead of complaining about the students lack of creativity and efforts towards firing norm, why dont YOU do something about it instead of sitting at your computer complaining about any possible thing you can think of

4- stop with the "why dont we do it against the big east teams" nonsense...we havent played any big east teams so how do you know what we're gonna do?

5- can we please also remember that theres only so much you can do at the garden in terms of signs like that...CA is so much smaller and easier to hang signs around...not only is it impossible to hang signs like that at the garden, they're also much more strict about those things, so naturally its easier for the students to come up with more creative things (chants notwithstanding) at CA than it is the garden

6- finally...its time to just get real people...we're college students, i dont know why anyone really expects us to have all this "class"...we're 20 years old, not 60 years old, ofcourse we're gonna be rowdy and obnoxious and "classless"....get over it and just face reality already

I just wanna say that i know many of you who post here thought the signs were funny and didnt care, so this wasnt directed towards you guys....i also wanna say that no matter who complains about it, the students simply dont care what you have to say and if you like it or not, so just stop wasting your time and energy complaining about it because we're not gonna stop just because some grumpy men who dont even show up to the games dont like it

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »

I've been reading the thread on BEB about this, and i really hate it over there so i dont even wanna respond over there...but heres a few things, more specifically about them wanting the students to do something to get norm fired

1- if you really think this current administration will listen to its students about this topic you're just naive

If you think it won't then you are being naive.  My class shouted "Fire Jarvis!" which I was against, because we weren't half as bad as we are now, and look what happened. 

2- we chanted "fire norm" and such last year, and many of the players directly came up to me and told me to stop...it obviously affects the team when we do that, so this would just be like giving the advantage to the away team...it just makes no sense

Who cares what the players say to you?  It's about the school and the future of this program.  And what advantage are you talking about?  We won't be competitive this year no matter how much you want it to happen while you are a student.  Believe me, I really feel for you guys because it adds so much more to the college experience supporting a winning basketball team.

3- instead of complaining about the students lack of creativity and efforts towards firing norm, why dont YOU do something about it instead of sitting at your computer complaining about any possible thing you can think of

With all due respect, you don't know what everyone has done.  I have ruined a few good relationships and really put myself out there with the administration that I was close with as a student.  I agree with you that most of our fans do nothing but complain on a message board, however.  I think it will take a coordinated effort between the students and the alum in a few months to get the job done when we are 4-14 in the Big East.

4- stop with the "why dont we do it against the big east teams" nonsense...we havent played any big east teams so how do you know what we're gonna do?

5- can we please also remember that theres only so much you can do at the garden in terms of signs like that...CA is so much smaller and easier to hang signs around...not only is it impossible to hang signs like that at the garden, they're also much more strict about those things, so naturally its easier for the students to come up with more creative things (chants notwithstanding) at CA than it is the garden

6- finally...its time to just get real people...we're college students, i dont know why anyone really expects us to have all this "class"...we're 20 years old, not 60 years old, ofcourse we're gonna be rowdy and obnoxious and "classless"....get over it and just face reality already

I just wanna say that i know many of you who post here thought the signs were funny and didnt care, so this wasnt directed towards you guys....i also wanna say that no matter who complains about it, the students simply dont care what you have to say and if you like it or not, so just stop wasting your time and energy complaining about it because we're not gonna stop just because some grumpy men who dont even show up to the games dont like it

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

As rants go, this one was impressive and well thought out! The only thing I will say for the 1 billionth time is, my only problem with taunting was it was directed at NJIT. They are struggling worse than us and personally I feel sorry for them, plus on a personal level know the coach's family.
As far as Fire Slappy chants go, if the student's felt this should happen, voicing their displeasure would get noticed.
For me personally, I feel 36 year old shouldn't chant fire anyone and in fact probably should just refrain from chanting! Besides aren't message boards designed for people to voice their displeasure ;) 

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

You are missing the main complaint.

Its not the signs or the what the students/fans are doing, its who they are doing it to.

When you SUCK, like St. John's currently, the fans just look silly & show no class making fun of a team that sucks a little more then they do.

The idea of the signs was creative but come up with something creative when they play Seton Hall & Cincy. Don't make fun of THE worst team in all of Division I, say what ever you want..  it looks classless. I mean come on, besisdes for games recaps and one article by Lenn Robbins, the signs got more media coverage from Post then the team did almost all of last season.

Maybe you don't care about that and that is certainly your right but the olders fans, the ones who supported the program for decades, do care.

p.s - if you hate BEB so much, and that is your right too, don't go there. You certainly will not be missed..