JJ Fans?

• 51 replies
Re: JJ Fans?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »
Just wanna bump this again...

I've been reading the thread on BEB about this, and i really hate it over there so i dont even wanna respond over there...but heres a few things, more specifically about them wanting the students to do something to get norm fired

1- if you really think this current administration will listen to its students about this topic you're just naive

2- we chanted "fire norm" and such last year, and many of the players directly came up to me and told me to stop...it obviously affects the team when we do that, so this would just be like giving the advantage to the away team...it just makes no sense

3- instead of complaining about the students lack of creativity and efforts towards firing norm, why dont YOU do something about it instead of sitting at your computer complaining about any possible thing you can think of

4- stop with the "why dont we do it against the big east teams" nonsense...we havent played any big east teams so how do you know what we're gonna do?

5- can we please also remember that theres only so much you can do at the garden in terms of signs like that...CA is so much smaller and easier to hang signs around...not only is it impossible to hang signs like that at the garden, they're also much more strict about those things, so naturally its easier for the students to come up with more creative things (chants notwithstanding) at CA than it is the garden

6- finally...its time to just get real people...we're college students, i dont know why anyone really expects us to have all this "class"...we're 20 years old, not 60 years old, ofcourse we're gonna be rowdy and obnoxious and "classless"....get over it and just face reality already

I just wanna say that i know many of you who post here thought the signs were funny and didnt care, so this wasnt directed towards you guys....i also wanna say that no matter who complains about it, the students simply dont care what you have to say and if you like it or not, so just stop wasting your time and energy complaining about it because we're not gonna stop just because some grumpy men who dont even show up to the games dont like it

You are missing the main complaint.

Its not the signs or the what the students/fans are doing, its who they are doing it to.

When you SUCK, like St. John's currently, the fans just look silly & show no class making fun of a team that sucks a little more then they do.

The idea of the signs was creative but come up with something creative when they play Seton Hall & Cincy. Don't make fun of THE worst team in all of Division I, say what ever you want..  it looks classless. I mean come on, besisdes for games recaps and one article by Lenn Robbins, the signs got more media coverage from Post then the team did almost all of last season.

Maybe you don't care about that and that is certainly your right but the olders fans, the ones who supported the program for decades, do care.

p.s - if you hate BEB so much, and that is your right too, don't go there. You certainly will not be missed..

You are missing the main point.

Why should our student fans act differently whether we're a winning team or losing team? They just want to help the team be the better team that given night by cheering for our team and heckling the opposing team. They don't show mercy to any teams that are worse than us nor do opposing teams show us any mercy when we're on the road.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gonzalo

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »

I've been reading the thread on BEB about this, and i really hate it over there so i dont even wanna respond over there...but heres a few things, more specifically about them wanting the students to do something to get norm fired

1- if you really think this current administration will listen to its students about this topic you're just naive

2- we chanted "fire norm" and such last year, and many of the players directly came up to me and told me to stop...it obviously affects the team when we do that, so this would just be like giving the advantage to the away team...it just makes no sense

3- instead of complaining about the students lack of creativity and efforts towards firing norm, why dont YOU do something about it instead of sitting at your computer complaining about any possible thing you can think of

4- stop with the "why dont we do it against the big east teams" nonsense...we havent played any big east teams so how do you know what we're gonna do?

5- can we please also remember that theres only so much you can do at the garden in terms of signs like that...CA is so much smaller and easier to hang signs around...not only is it impossible to hang signs like that at the garden, they're also much more strict about those things, so naturally its easier for the students to come up with more creative things (chants notwithstanding) at CA than it is the garden

6- finally...its time to just get real people...we're college students, i dont know why anyone really expects us to have all this "class"...we're 20 years old, not 60 years old, ofcourse we're gonna be rowdy and obnoxious and "classless"....get over it and just face reality already

I just wanna say that i know many of you who post here thought the signs were funny and didnt care, so this wasnt directed towards you guys....i also wanna say that no matter who complains about it, the students simply dont care what you have to say and if you like it or not, so just stop wasting your time and energy complaining about it because we're not gonna stop just because some grumpy men who dont even show up to the games dont like it

Its not the signs or the what the students/fans are doing, its who they are doing it to.

When you SUCK, like St. John's currently, the fans just look silly & show no class making fun of a team that sucks a little more then they do.

The idea of the signs was creative but come up with something creative when they play Seton Hall & Cincy. Don't make fun of THE worst team in all of Division I, say what ever you want..  it looks classless. I mean come on, besisdes for games recaps and one article by Lenn Robbins, the signs got more media coverage from Post then the team did almost all of last season.

Maybe you don't care about that and that is certainly your right but the olders fans, the ones who supported the program for decades, do care.

p.s - if you hate BEB so much, and that is your right too, don't go there. You certainly will not be missed..

Why should our student fans act differently whether we're a winning team or losing team?

Here I agree.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »

Oh i get it now..we have to actually be good to heckle opponents. So the stuff we say at soccer games (100X worse) is completely ok because they're good, we're allowed to talk down to our lesser opponents there...I apologize for not take "college student sections 101"...unfortunately they dont offer that class in the sports management program here

Again, why are all of you assuming the NJIT game is the only game we're doing this?  We've made signs towards players for other games, and we will continue to do so.  We haven't played seton hall or cincy yet, what do you want me to do?  make signs about them when we play bethune cookman?    I don't make the schedule, I dont care if we're playing the best or the worst team in all of division 1..my main objective is to give our guys a home court advantage and make the opposition uncomfortable, i dont care who that opponent is...its division 1 athletics, if they cant handle being heckled then they shouldnt be playing

I didn't realize you would rather have a tiny AP article giving nothing but stats and the results of the game, which is basically what we've been getting the last few years.  I've seen more articles about st johns and the student section this year then i have combined in the other 2 years I've been here..but i guess thats a bad thing....?

p.s - I haven't posted there in over a year, so im not sure what that even means....im sure you feel good about yourself talking down to a 20 year old though....classless?  we talkin about classless? :)

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »

Why should our student fans act differently whether we're a winning team or losing team? They just want to help the team be the better team that given night by cheering for our team and heckling the opposing team. They don't show mercy to any teams that are worse than us nor do opposing teams show us any mercy when we're on the road.

First, just because other programs do it doesn't make it right and doesn't mean that St. John's fans can't be above it.

Second, you say the fans just want to help make the team better. How does taking the time and effort to belittle the NJIT team players make St. John's better..?

You have stated on this site that you coach basketball. Would you ever allow an opponent to be belittled.?

The fans have every right to go nuts and be loud an cheer and heckle. But to take the time & effort to make up signs making fun of the WORST team in the country..? Its just weak.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
I think the students should just be quiet and sit on their hands so PMG can watch the game in peace and quiet ;)

pmg911

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
I think the students should just be quiet and sit on their hands so PMG can watch the game in peace and quiet ;)

EXACTLY..   although this year I will nit see nearly as many games in person as I have in the past...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:29:15 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »

If Iona HAD a basketball team would you want their fans to heckle a school like NJIT?

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »

This is not targeted specifically at PMG, but a lot of the guys complaining about this situation were not even at the NJIT game!

How can you find fault with anything when you don't even come out to support the program?

Isn't that Apathy????

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »

If Iona HAD a basketball team would you want their fans to heckle a school like NJIT?

IONA has a good team and once again they already beat St Johns. NJIT is a division 1 team, if Calipari was the SJU coach-you guys would not be complaining. Seriously, your starting to cry like b itches now

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »

That would be the classy thing to do.  Either that or just chant "Fire Norm" because you don't get any classier than that.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
marco, did you graduate from iona?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
How is this so interesting of an issue that there are 2 pages on it here, and a page on BEB?  They're kids.  And kids heckle.  If UNC is #1, should their fans simply not heckle until they are knocked off?  And it's a small thing to find fault with.  Everyone finds fault with the state of the program... why not pull out a full page ad like the Rutgers supporters did (to take the Star Ledger to task for making the football program look fiscally dirty) - http://www.synensys.com/slad1217.htm?

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
marco, did you graduate from iona?

No, spent 4 years there though ;)

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

That would be the classy thing to do.  Either that or just chant "Fire Norm" because you don't get any classier than that.

I think they should boo and make crying sounds everytime PMG and Wasju walk into the arena or get out of their seats ;D

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »

No chanting "Fire Norm" wouldn't be nearly as productive or classy as putting down THE WORST team in D-1 college basketball history.  

Where do the ten of you go when you are not changing the atmosphere of St. John's games...heckling students at the autistic school?

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

No chanting "Fire Norm" wouldn't be nearly as productive or classy as putting down THE WORST team in D-1 college basketball history.  

Where do the ten of you go when you are not changing the atmosphere of St. John's games...heckling students at the autistic school?

For the record, I estimate that there were over 120 students at the NJIT game. Some came from as far away as Louisville!   LOL

Much less at the BCU game.

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »

I think they should boo and make crying sounds everytime PMG and Wasju walk into the arena or get out of their seats ;D

Wow, for the one trilionth time, my only issue was that it was done against NJIT. When the Yankees play the Royals, the fans barely pay attention! Could care less what the fans do against teams that have actually WON ONE D1 game.

Does Iona play against Big Foot, the lock ness monster and the Easter Bunny?
Much like Carl Everett didn't believe that there were dinosaurs, without proof of their existance I will continue to doubt that Iona has a real team!

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »

For the record, I estimate that there were over 120 students at the NJIT game. Some came from as far away as Louisville!   LOL

Why would a student have to come from Louisville?

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »

Why would a student have to come from Louisville?

I was just busting on someone who posts here from Kentucky  :)

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Wow, for the one trilionth time, my only issue was that it was done against NJIT. When the Yankees play the Royals, the fans barely pay attention! Could care less what the fans do against teams that have actually WON ONE D1 game.

Does Iona play against Big Foot, the lock ness monster and the Easter Bunny?
Much like Carl Everett didn't believe that there were dinosaurs, without proof of their existance I will continue to doubt that Iona has a real team!

St Johns is afraid of IONA. That is a fact. Oh and Iona just got a verbal from a kid from Oak Hill.