Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: DAMN
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
christmas is less than 7 days away

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
christmas is less than 7 days away

That's actually a double Damm for me, still not done shopping...

Roger Rubin breaks the news about Justin
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/19/2008-12-19_st_johns_star_justin_burrell_likely_out_.html

St. John's star Justin Burrell likely out of Holiday semifinal with facial injury
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 19th 2008, 1:22 PM

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell
Justin Burrell, St. John's top player, is likely to miss Saturday's Holiday Festival semifinal against Marist at the Garden. The sophomore forward/center has a broken bone in his face after being hit with an elbow in practice Thursday.

The 6-8 Burrell is averaging 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. During the preseason, scouts from four different NBA teams attended St. John's practices to watch him play.

This is a serious blow to the Red Storm, which has won six straight and is 8-1 but has played a strength of schedule rated 322 of 343 in Division I according to RealTimeRPI.com. Should the Johnnies win Saturday, they will play the winner of the other semifinal between Virginia Tech and Columbia.

Burrell played only 17 minutes in Monday's win over Bethune-Cookman because of a mildly sprained right ankle, suffered late in the first half. He had four points and five rebounds.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »
we dont need burrell for marist....

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/19/2008-12-19_st_johns_star_justin_burrell_likely_out_.html

St. John's star Justin Burrell likely out of Holiday semifinal with facial injury
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell
Justin Burrell, St. John's top player, is likely to miss Saturday's Holiday Festival semifinal against Marist at the Garden. The sophomore forward/center has a broken bone in his face after being hit with an elbow in practice Thursday.

The 6-8 Burrell is averaging 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. During the preseason, scouts from four different NBA teams attended St. John's practices to watch him play.

This is a serious blow to the Red Storm, which has won six straight and is 8-1 but has played a strength of schedule rated 322 of 343 in Division I according to RealTimeRPI.com. Should the Johnnies win Saturday, they will play the winner of the other semifinal between Virginia Tech and Columbia.

Burrell played only 17 minutes in Monday's win over Bethune-Cookman because of a mildly sprained right ankle, suffered late in the first half. He had four points and five rebounds.

Thats the damn....could be out for 4-8 weeks

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »

BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell

Thats the damn....could be out for 4-8 weeks

I don't understand why couldn't have just posted this?  The way it was handled fueled speculation of worse. 

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »
just put on a rip hamilton mask....

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
wow.  that's big news.  i feel for the guy, although he wasn't having a great season, he seemed destined to break out eventually.  and from the times i've talked to him, he is a great guy.

i wish him the best of luck

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
if he's out 4-8 wks, then it's as big as it sounded like.  if it's for one game, then no it wasn't

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »

Its not that simple. Hamilton was his nose this is Burrell's cheek.

Last year, John Terry, of Chelsea(soccer) played 72 hours after his surgery for a broken cheek bone wearing a custom made mask.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/terry-to-play-with-fractured-cheekbone-1114395.html

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
Get better brother.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »

Last year, John Terry, of Chelsea(soccer) played 72 hours after his surgery for a broken cheek bone wearing a custom made mask.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/terry-to-play-with-fractured-cheekbone-1114395.html

Not as much of a contact sport but Carlos Beltran played shortly after breaking a bone in his face.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »

Not as much of a contact sport but Carlos Beltran played shortly after breaking a bone in his face.

I'm not sure how severe the injury is. Does it require surgery for the bone to be reset? or does it just need to heal? I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

I'm not sure how severe the injury is. Does it require surgery for the bone to be reset? or does it just need to heal? I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure.

I guess it depends on the severity of it. From what I remember Beltran and Mike Cameron had that collision in 05, Beltran came back less than 5 days later, than had surgery in the off season. Cameron's face was crushed though and he had surgery right away. Boxers have this injury frequently, but that is a whole other animal obviously.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:58:02 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
I would imagine that he is still being evaluated medically as it happened less than 24 hours ago.

Let's just hope that Justin makes a speedy and full recovery.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
i just hope it wasn't that human wrecking ball dele coker who elbowed burrell.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
i just hope it wasn't that human wrecking ball dele coker who elbowed burrell.

It wasn't, Sean Evans caught him with an accidental elbow in practice.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
Wow just got the news! The show must go on. Get better and get back as soon as humanly possible Justin.