What Can Norm Do Better In Games?

• 34 replies
Re: What Can Norm Do Better In Games?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
Good post Choz,

It has been one of my gripes that it doesn't appear that we practice to play our opponent. We have a mindset like this is the way we play and we're going to force this offense whether we play against man to man or zone.

I'd like to see us adjust more to what we're seeing. Like this team has tendencies to do this so lets exploit it. Or we have this matchup lets focus on this today.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
Good post Choz,

It has been one of my gripes that it doesn't appear that we practice to play our opponent. We have a mindset like this is the way we play and we're going to force this offense whether we play against man to man or zone.

I'd like to see us adjust more to what we're seeing. Like this team has tendencies to do this so lets exploit it. Or we have this matchup lets focus on this today.
All of which is funny for a coach who often says that he will adjust his starting lineup and players on the floor based on matchups. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
It aint even the in game things thats the real prob.

The real prob is that the team aint ever prepared fo a game.

Thats what practice all 'bout.

When St. John come out and make crisp passes, make sharp cuts, set picks that obstruct an opponent, block out on a reg shot, play sensible D and take shots that are makeable, then I can say they practicin well.

Practice is the coaches lab. And man, all we gots is a few test tubes and a bunsen burner.

Choz I am surprised that you wrote this.

In my opinion the team is always well prepared. Norm is a task master. Lets not confuse the recruiting issues.

This game came down to the fact that Miami made shots and out rebounded us. In both the Miami and Va tech game we had 4 minute spurts where did not make good shots. DJ missed wide open jump shots. Evans missed shots where he gets fouled and then misses the free throws.

This years team has a plan and is prepared they just have not executed. Against lower level teams we got away with it.

Then you watchin a diffnt team than me, bre.

Sides yo logic is flat out whacked. If you aint executin then you aint preparin right.

Whacked Really? Go back and review the Miami tape tape we excecuted but did not finish.
With 13:37 minutes left in the game we were down 7 with Sean Evans at the FT to shoot 2 after being fouled on missed layup that he got through solid execution of the offence and he missed both FT's. McClinton goes down and shoots a 3 and we are down 10. Sean goes on to miss 3 more ft in the next 3 minutes on shots where he was fouled at point blank range. Q misses an open 3, Ty throws the ball off of JB's foot. Next thing we know we were down 18.

You can think I am whacked all you want, but it is the fact that the team is not finishing plays with puting the ball in the hoop.  If they were not prepared we would be getting bad shots. We got great shots we just did not make the shots.

Players play the game. Players make shots.

Y'all talk like playaz come in as finish product like they aint no such thing as player development. Aint the way. Good coachin make players better in all facets.

Coachin can make a mad world of difference in a kid shootin free throws, J's and lay ups. A mad world, yo.

If y'all really think this team come prepare to play night in and out this year or over the last five year, then you seriously aint watchin.

Coach's teams have given up on him. Clear and plain in mo nightmare games than this brother care to remember.

Coach's team is mad sloppy. Always been. Blame Geno all y'all want, but turnovers can be corrected wit good coachin, wit good preparation. Oh lookie! UConn gonna press! GTown gonna trap on the baseline! Shockin! How many time it look like we dont know whats comin?

Coach dont know how to coach 'gainst a zone. Now some y'all say we aint got no shooters, but hells that not the only way y'all beat a zone. Zone got holes. Zone can be exploited in the most serious of ways. High low one of the best way. And coach come from a high low system. But how many time we see biggie flash to the FT line to either dump down or kick out to the baseline fo a lay or short Malik Sealy-patent J?

How many time we see players out of control like they just biddies? How many time we see players take shots that everyone in the buildin know they shouldnt be takin? How many time we see poor block out and defensive positionin? How many time we see players havin no clue what to do when a defense make an adjustment or when a press come or when an opponent get hot? How many time?

Y'all talk like this some well-oil machine. Y'all talk like we got a system that work. Y'all talk like the players just aint up to the level. Hells no.

How many lower schools that have lower level recruits is better coached and can wipe St. John off the map and make yet another embarrasment fo y'all and me? The answer: PLENTY.

So if y'all think this is on the players. Then y'all dont know much 'bout coachin or ball.

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

GREAT post.  Please someone make sure redstormhoopsfan reads this.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
It aint even the in game things thats the real prob.

The real prob is that the team aint ever prepared fo a game.

Thats what practice all 'bout.

When St. John come out and make crisp passes, make sharp cuts, set picks that obstruct an opponent, block out on a reg shot, play sensible D and take shots that are makeable, then I can say they practicin well.

Practice is the coaches lab. And man, all we gots is a few test tubes and a bunsen burner.

Choz I am surprised that you wrote this.

In my opinion the team is always well prepared. Norm is a task master. Lets not confuse the recruiting issues.

This game came down to the fact that Miami made shots and out rebounded us. In both the Miami and Va tech game we had 4 minute spurts where did not make good shots. DJ missed wide open jump shots. Evans missed shots where he gets fouled and then misses the free throws.

This years team has a plan and is prepared they just have not executed. Against lower level teams we got away with it.

Then you watchin a diffnt team than me, bre.

Sides yo logic is flat out whacked. If you aint executin then you aint preparin right.

Whacked Really? Go back and review the Miami tape tape we excecuted but did not finish.
With 13:37 minutes left in the game we were down 7 with Sean Evans at the FT to shoot 2 after being fouled on missed layup that he got through solid execution of the offence and he missed both FT's. McClinton goes down and shoots a 3 and we are down 10. Sean goes on to miss 3 more ft in the next 3 minutes on shots where he was fouled at point blank range. Q misses an open 3, Ty throws the ball off of JB's foot. Next thing we know we were down 18.

You can think I am whacked all you want, but it is the fact that the team is not finishing plays with puting the ball in the hoop.  If they were not prepared we would be getting bad shots. We got great shots we just did not make the shots.

Players play the game. Players make shots.

Y'all talk like playaz come in as finish product like they aint no such thing as player development. Aint the way. Good coachin make players better in all facets.

Coachin can make a mad world of difference in a kid shootin free throws, J's and lay ups. A mad world, yo.

If y'all really think this team come prepare to play night in and out this year or over the last five year, then you seriously aint watchin.

Coach's teams have given up on him. Clear and plain in mo nightmare games than this brother care to remember.

Coach's team is mad sloppy. Always been. Blame Geno all y'all want, but turnovers can be corrected wit good coachin, wit good preparation. Oh lookie! UConn gonna press! GTown gonna trap on the baseline! Shockin! How many time it look like we dont know whats comin?

Coach dont know how to coach 'gainst a zone. Now some y'all say we aint got no shooters, but hells that not the only way y'all beat a zone. Zone got holes. Zone can be exploited in the most serious of ways. High low one of the best way. And coach come from a high low system. But how many time we see biggie flash to the FT line to either dump down or kick out to the baseline fo a lay or short Malik Sealy-patent J?

How many time we see players out of control like they just biddies? How many time we see players take shots that everyone in the buildin know they shouldnt be takin? How many time we see poor block out and defensive positionin? How many time we see players havin no clue what to do when a defense make an adjustment or when a press come or when an opponent get hot? How many time?

Y'all talk like this some well-oil machine. Y'all talk like we got a system that work. Y'all talk like the players just aint up to the level. Hells no.

How many lower schools that have lower level recruits is better coached and can wipe St. John off the map and make yet another embarrasment fo y'all and me? The answer: PLENTY.

So if y'all think this is on the players. Then y'all dont know much 'bout coachin or ball.

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

Sounds like you are ready to come back to the BEB!
See Choz used to be positive and now Norm has converted yet another to the Anti-Slappy side.

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »
me, tha kid and choz used to be routinely killed about not being tough on norm in year 3, i think.  we've had enough.  i can't believe people can still defend him.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
I respect your opinion, Choz, but shouldn't kids who are good enough to play at a major conference D-1 school already know how to play under control and how to make a basic bounce pass, etc.  Of course there is a lot to be learned at this level but a coach should be teaching the complexities of breaking the trap, attacking the zone, etc.  Not how to catch the ball and how to finish a layup.

Unfortunately, too many kids playing HS and AAU ball are allowed to do whatever they want because they have the physical skills to dominate at that level but  aren't being taught how to play the game the right way.  That's why, in most cases, freshmen sit and seniors start.

These guys have to be able to hit the open jumper.  We heard that they focused on that this past summer.  The 2 on 1 fast break that looked like an 8 y.o. CYO team I blame the coach for.  They should be able to execute that with their eyes closed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:22:50 PM by simplyred »

Randomhero423

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
well norm has also recruited the players so maybe he should have gotten better players....

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »
I won't argue with anyone who expresses disappointment with the recruiting failures.

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

Choz..  that is the best post I have ever seen you make. It sums it all up.!  Very well said..!!

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Choz this one of the best posts I've ever seen anyone wrote on any of the boards.

I just put it up on redmen.com because I want to make sure they all get to see it

kob24

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
Im gonna get in trouble for this but

#$%^ing preach my brother #$%^ing preach the most educated well thought out from the heart post ever on all these #$%^ing sites. Everyone needs to read this and cut the silliness out.

And that will be my last post!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be safe everyone and have a happy new years love Kings of the Bronx Aka kob24

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

Choz great post but I disagree on one thing.  Players in college ball mean alot.  Recruiting is a big part of college basketball.  If you don't have the horses you won't succeed especially in the Big East.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

Choz great post but I disagree on one thing.  Players in college ball mean alot.  Recruiting is a big part of college basketball.  If you don't have the horses you won't succeed especially in the Big East.

No doubt.

But talent dont mean much to inbound a ball.

Talent dont mean much to block out.

Talent dont mean much to play sensible D.

Talent dont mean much to set a legit pick.

Talent dont mean much to cut backdoor.

Talent dont mean much to come off a curl.

And talent surely dont mean much to play hard.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

No doubt.

No talent doesn't, but, at the mid-major level and at academically challenging high-major programs that have to compensate for a smaller potential talent pool, coaches have to target players with a high basketball IQ and/or a strong specific skill set, such as perimeter shooting. If development is a serious issue, it shouldn't be embarrassing for the STJ coaches to target fundamentally sound players, even if they may not have optimal athleticism.

The program hasn't looked fundamentally sound in years. If the coaches can corral LS to go along with OL, the talent will help to masque the deficiencies in development, basketball IQ, and in-game adjustments. I'd like to see a change in the coaching staff, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »

Peace Out!
-Choz4Life

No doubt.

No talent doesn't, but, at the mid-major level and at academically challenging high-major programs that have to compensate for a smaller potential talent pool, coaches have to target players with a high basketball IQ and/or a strong specific skill set, such as perimeter shooting. If development is a serious issue, it shouldn't be embarrassing for the STJ coaches to target fundamentally sound players, even if they may not have optimal athleticism.

The program hasn't looked fundamentally sound in years. If the coaches can corral LS to go along with OL, the talent will help to masque the deficiencies in development, basketball IQ, and in-game adjustments. I'd like to see a change in the coaching staff, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Great post ---- a condition for Norm sticking around this year should have been the FIRING of Casey and Braica and replacing them with SMART coaches so they could make up for what Norm clearly lacks.
"I drink and I know things"