Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - Jersey City, NJ - ST. JOSEPH'S

• 227 replies
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:09:10 PM by peter »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:12:31 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - New Brunswick, NJ - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=76571&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d76571%26season%3d2010

October, 2009: Ron Roberts could be one of the best unsigned 2010 bigs in the East. The long 6'6 Roberts plays with a great deal of energy and aggressive play makes him a terrific rebounder. Although he is very effective around the basket; finishing plays and scoring put backs, Roberts demonstrated...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
I guess you don't have an insider account, huh?

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
haha...no

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
Who is this guy?  Anyone seen him play?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
At least he's more of a post-playing tweener than a perimeter tweener.  Interesting pickup... can he score?

Also, he's a teammate of 4-star recruit Myles Davis: Myles Davis Bio And AAU teammate of Myles Mack...

HMMMM

If you have a Rivals account: http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=979645

Indiana was apparently on him.

""We sat down just last week to talk about what is so exciting about Indiana because now he has offers from just about everybody in the Big East," said Kelly. "Has offers from the Atlantic 10, the Big Ten and Maryland. He is just infatuated with the history of Indiana and that kind of shocked me because I didn't know what he knew of Indiana. He is really, really excited that they are recruiting him hard."

When Peegs.com got the chance to see Roberts in Las Vegas last month, the New Jersey native was impressive as a shot blocker and rebounder inside and showed solid perimeter skills as well.

"I think he is being recruited as an athletic four that can score inside and outside," said Kelly. "That gives coaches more of an opportunity to utilize his abilities in the paint. His strength -- we are pretty heavy into our strength and conditioning and he is becoming one of our strongest guys."

He talked about his developing perimeter game.

"365 days ago he shot line drives at the front of the rim," said Kelly. "He didn't really know how to hold the ball. It is all work in progress but his perimeter game has really stepped up. Having the god given tools and the athletic ability and couple that with being our hardest working guy--the sky is the limit for him."
"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:13:48 PM by Dave »

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
Sounds interesting.

Welcome to Queens Ron!

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:55:30 PM »
Welcome to Queens, but it really doesn't sound like he had any other OFFERS from bigtime schools, just interest. 

And unless I'm mistaken, this was SJU's only scholarship for 2010 to give away.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
I'm sure they can make room for someone.

Unless Mase gets a 6th year.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »
I'm sure they can make room for someone.

LOL they always do "make room"
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
Just to put another spin on this:

He's been labeled as a project with a ton of upside.  He's going to need to piece it together by the time his sophomore season rolls around because this team will REALLY need him in the 2011-2012 season.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
Welcome to Queens, but it really doesn't sound like he had any other OFFERS from bigtime schools, just interest. 

There is the quote from Peter's post
"We sat down just last week to talk about what is so exciting about Indiana because now he has offers from just about everybody in the Big East"

And Rivals shows Rutgers and Temple offering.

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
Scout shows Penn State offering, with a lot of big time schools interested....Maryland, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Villanova.

kob24

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »
he is good. saw him play twice. what is more important is that u got a kid from jimmy salmons. and that might be huge.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »
he is good. saw him play twice. what is more important is that u got a kid from jimmy salmons. and that might be huge.

Kob is on my level of thinking. I mentioned that in my report of the signing this could open a lot of opportunities.

mkras99

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
How good is his HS/AAU teammate Myles?

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
How good is his HS/AAU teammate Myles?

very, VERY good.  Both Myles' (Mack and Davis) are high major game changers.