Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - Jersey City, NJ - ST. JOSEPH'S

• 227 replies
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - Jersey City, NJ - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
According, to PMG on the Big East Boards....  I wonder why he didn't post it over on this board.  Oh, well!  We'll eventually find out how much truth is to it. 

http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=59908&sid=bdd9bd73b3405ae6865eef92b57f9677

"Word from good NJ sources is that Ron Roberts & St. John's have agreed to part ways."

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
You know, board beef goes on.  Good luck to Roberts (IF TRUE. I WILL WAIT ON "REAL REPORTING" ON THIS ONE  ;D and I am sure Zagoria will be checking in on it), and if he signs with another team and it doesn't work out, maybe he can transfer home. 

Room for a player to develop next season and/ or a JUCO big man who can alleviate the pressure on the 6-9 newcomers in 2011 (hoping the staff will hold some schollies for 2012).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:27:01 PM by peter »

pmg911

« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
You know, board beef goes on.  Good luck to Roberts (IF TRUE. I WILL WAIT ON "REAL REPORTING" ON THIS ONE  ;D and I am sure Zagoria will be checking in on it), and if he signs with another team and it doesn't work out, maybe he can transfer home. 

Room for a player to develop next season and/ or a JUCO big man who can alleviate the pressure on the 6-9 newcomers in 2011 (hoping the staff will hold some schollies for 2012).

Lets be clear, I have no "board beef".

I very rarely will post same thing on mutliple sites like some. I choose to post on BEB by my own choice, no other reason.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
You know, board beef goes on. Good luck to Roberts (IF TRUE. I WILL WAIT ON "REAL REPORTING" ON THIS ONE  ;D and I am sure Zagoria will be checking in on it), and if he signs with another team and it doesn't work out, maybe he can transfer home. 

I very rarely will post same thing on mutliple sites like some. I choose to post on BEB by my own choice, no other reason.
That's fair, and your choice.  I take back the board beef comment, not really aimed at you anyway.  How do you feel about Roberts/ St. John's separation?  is the kid going to go ACC (Maryland?) or Big East or A-10?

Poison

« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
Honestly who cares who posts what where?
In a few minutes, it's everywhere. True or not.

Team needs a legit lead guard.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:36:21 PM by Poison »

« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
Roberts would have been our first NJ recruit in a few years. If it was his choice, that's "ok". If he was "pushed out" that might create some bad feelings in the NJ coaching community. In any case, reports were this kid was going to be very good. I'm hoping that he is not replaced with a Juco but with a "5 star" type player for next season. Will be interesting to see how Steve's first player decision turns out.

Wods317

« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »
A little disappointed because this kid seemed like a player but if we can replace him with a good PF or PG then we would be better off.

pmg911

« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »
You know, board beef goes on. Good luck to Roberts (IF TRUE. I WILL WAIT ON "REAL REPORTING" ON THIS ONE  ;D and I am sure Zagoria will be checking in on it), and if he signs with another team and it doesn't work out, maybe he can transfer home. 

That's fair, and your choice.  I take back the board beef comment, not really aimed at you anyway.  How do you feel about Roberts/ St. John's separation?  is the kid going to go ACC (Maryland?) or Big East or A-10?

Personally, I think its a mistake. I really like Ron Roberts game and think he has NBA potenital.

Big schools will line up to land this kid when he officailly becomes available.

One thing that could be a positive. . it probably takes us out of the race for Myles Davis and I don't think he will be a good high level Div I player.

Poison

« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »

Personally, I think its a mistake. I really like Ron Roberts game and think he has NBA potenital.

One thing that could be a positive. . it probably takes us out of the race for Myles Davis and I don't think he will be a good high level Div I player.

I think Lavin owes to the 9 seniors to get them a BE level lead guard who can help organize the offense.
Boothe would be a terrific backup, and then, maybe we'd be on the bubble.

« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »

I was actually looking forward to seeing Roberts in a Johnnies uni.  It seemed like his game was coming around and he could possibly reach the apex of his game, as a Johnny.

Dang!  Hopefully, we have someone who is on par or better than Roberts in the fold.  Good luck, Ronald!

boo3

« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
 Ron must believe he can go to a big-time school.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but Norm locked this kid up, and then he blew up.(good job Norm)  He probably wanted to do this anyway, the coaching change made it that much easier. Hope it works out for him and St.john's.
  I'm not losing sleep over it though.

Poison

« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
Ron must believe he can go to a big-time school.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but Norm locked this kid up, and then he blew up.(good job Norm)  He probably wanted to do this anyway, the coaching change made it that much easier. Hope it works out for him and St.john's.
  I'm not losing sleep over it though.

Was it really a good job by Norm Roberts? He found a sleeper. What he always finds.
The thing is, if Ron Roberts plays the 3 or the 4, and this team doesn't need that for next year.

They need a lead guard. Any other position just creates a bigger log jam and kills any chance
we have of doing any damage with 9 seniors.

This recruit, like so many before him, just shows poor planning by Norm Roberts.

« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »
scholly opens up for Lamb or Selby?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
I agree with you, Poison, but would add that a big man who gets spot time next year and an offseason of training to be ready to start in 2011 is also a good idea; considering that many bigs take time to adjust to college. 

« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
 AdamZagoria

St Johns commit Ron Roberts has received a release from NLI & will reopen recruitment, per his coaches #stjbb

« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
Sources in New Jersey told The Post that St. Peter’s Prep star Ron Roberts, who signed with St. John’s last year, probably will re-open his recruitment. He almost surely will be granted his release from St. John’s, which remains interested in the power forward but understands the player’s desire to explore his options now that a new staff is in place.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/from_john_making_last_ditch_effort_c0EgRuatHwm35b3WLZ1DHO#ixzz0l09Igxol
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Ron hasn't returned my last few messages I've sent him over the last week or so. I figured this was happening.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/13/st-johns-reaches-out-to-doron-lamb/#more-31728

Lavin now has a scholarshp to give after 6-7 St. Peter’s Prep forward Ronald Roberts was released from his Letter of Intent Tuesday. Roberts had been former coach Norm Roberts’ lone signee for 2010.

“This morning Ron and his father asked for their official release from St. John’s,” St. Peter’s Prep coach Mike Kelly said. “That was subsequent to a meeting [Monday] night with the coaching staff at St Peter’s Prep and his family. We were concerned that St. John’s coaching staff had no familiarity with Ron and it was in our best interest to move on.”
Kelly said Roberts would reconsider his options and that St. Joe’s was “certainly a school that showed a lot of love early on in the process.

“Coach [Phil] Martelli has gotten a number of guys into the pros and had some great teams so they’re definitely high on our list. But Ron hasn’t made any firm decisions yet.”

The NCAA is currently in a dead period which ends Friday, but sources said St. Joe’s was “trying to set a meeting [with Roberts] as soon as possible.”

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
is he allowed to sign in the Big East again?